I am scared that my abusive ex will try to come back into our lives: Advice?

My abusive ex-husband ended up terminating his rights to our son five years ago. I had to get my son an ad litem, and she also agreed it was best for my child. A couple of years later, the judge signed the paperwork, and it’s been peaceful since. We’re happy and no longer living in fear, I have remarried and now have a two-year-old daughter as well. Earlier this afternoon, I was getting the kids in my car to go run some errands, and I saw my son’s father at someone’s house across the street sitting on some boxes by their mailbox staring at us and on his phone. Then he slowly walked to his truck, watching us and got in. I waited for him to leave before we did so he wouldn’t follow us. If he terminated his rights in Texas, was found unfit, and hasn’t seen his son in 5 years, can he try to get his rights back? I am terrified he’s going to try to come back, and I’m afraid for our safety.

38 Likes

Nope, he cannot. You can look into a protection order if he’s hanging around your place of residence.

6 Likes

Call the cops ASAP and get a patrol near your house and an emergency restraining order that is NOT okay

12 Likes

Once rights are terminated I don’t believe he can come back for anything unless the child is legal age to make contact on their own.

1 Like

I would not turn to Facebook , get involved with a lawyer or some professional in this area

6 Likes

Call the police and let them know he is following you and watching the house.

3 Likes

Once his rights were terminated should have got a new birth certificate that didn’t have his name on there.
No way can he get them back have your now husband adopt your son

Terminated means it’s over

1 Like

Id call the cops to ask. And an attorney. Fb is not protect ur safety.

2 Likes

Nope he cannot. He can try but it’s not likely. You’re worried and I understand. I’m a survivor too. I’m in the same process. Don’t live in fear of what he will do. He is not going to be able to turn your life upside down

1 Like

This varies by state. Contact a lawyer now!!!

No you are fine. Start documenting in case you need a restraining order. My bio father signed over his rights when i was a kid. I asked my mom about this because of how dangerous he was

1 Like

Where are you. The laws are literally different in every state in the US, not to mention if your in a whole different country! Get a lawyer!

Make a report asap. Request a restraining order. You need to take all the steps against him in the event anything happens, it will make your case stronger.

9 Likes

Once his rights are gone that’s it.

Get a restraining order if he bothers you and your child but he can’t get his rights back let your husband know what’s going on

3 Likes

Contact an attorney to see what your rights are and what possibility, if any, this man could weasel his way back in.

No! He can’t. Call the cops!! ASAP

1 Like

No, he can’t get his rights back. Especially not in Texas.

2 Likes

No. He is done as a father to your son. Talk with your husband about this. You may want to consider protective orders

2 Likes

Did you not get a protective order also?

I agree you need to contact the police and let them know and an attorney and ask them what you need to do to keep everyone safe. Better to be proactive than wait and see what happens.

1 Like

Once you terminate your rights you don’t get them back

Call the police. He has no rights and can not get them back.

He has no legal hold over you or your child/ren. But, that doesn’t mean he can’t cause problems for you. Document everything, and get a restraining order. Make it known he is around so you cover yourself! Stay safe x

3 Likes

At least not in the state of Utah

Let your husband know also, if he didn’t Kno about him

1 Like

Ive seen it happen here in texas🤦

He could try but I bet that since he terminated them and because of everything else involved I doubt he could get them back.

Nope. It wont be reversed.

If you are afraid for your safety then get a restraining order and a gun. Restraining orders don’t do shit
Except leave a paper trail for you to have a case if you have to shoot his ass

Why didnt u take a picture or video him?!

1 Like

No he can NOT… & U really need to report this to the police

2 Likes

Once rights are terminated that’s the end of it. He cannot ever come back for you’re child, legally he is no longer his child. It doesnt vary by state, these people dont know what they’re talking about at all. If parental rights are terminated, its indefinite. Now I’m not sure about other countries personally. But in the states, once that paper is signed that’s the end of it period. No need to worry mama. But I would file a restraining order on you’re ex.

5 Likes

Get a restraining order & a gun

12 Likes

No he cannot. Once its terminated it stays terminated

Once you terminate your rights, its impossible to get them back.

From what I know in the 2 states I’ve lived in, both states the answer would be no, once rights are terminated, he is legally no longer your childs father. The states wont acknowledge him as the dad or anything.
Also file a police report for stalking

I’m pretty sure once he’s terminated his rights that it’s permanent and there’s nothing he can do

1 Like

he should under 0 circumstances be able to come back into your life or your sons life

call the police, and if you can try to get a photo of him any time you catch him watching you so that you have proof

4 Likes

I’d get cameras installed at your house asap

12 Likes

but i would keep my child close i also have a child harness like leash thing it’s a cute backpack leash that i take with me when we go anywhere i put her in it an let her walk around an i’ll be right next to her or i’ll hold her (bc she’s not good in public) but i’d invest in one of those if i was you prevent any type of kidnap situations from happening

1 Like

alert your neighbors to this. more eyes equal more help

8 Likes

Nope call the police and get a restaining order. Prayers

2 Likes

I would be worried about your safety before they giving him his rights back. Its doesnt work that way…but hes there for a reason. I’d call the police and at least file a report.

2 Likes

U need to call the cops also he need his rights he can’t get them back

Contact the police first and call the lawyer that did the processing talk to him tell him that what happened you need to start watching it and watching your boy he may be coming for him

2 Likes

Get a gun and be ready to protect yourself. That sounds scary and that he is not in the right mindset.

1 Like

Contact a attorney !!!

His rights are terminated, he’s done. Its over!

Go make a police report. Get a restraining order, Asap!

Warn others that are left to watch your son. Teachers, daycare etc.

8 Likes

Get a restraining order put on him.

2 Likes

Terminated rights means there is NO chance in getting them back.

No, once a person gives up their right it’s permanent and GAL was in agreement and everyone signed off - you did everything right. Like others said, file a police report just in case, so should anything else happen there is a record to show a pattern. Nothing may come of it but you want to make sure you have it all covered. If there is another incident you have grounds for a restraining/protective order.

2 Likes

You need to contact the law. And get a restraining order if you feel unsafe. He signed his rights away he needs to stay away

1 Like

He can’t get his rights back. Doesn’t matter what state you live in. But he is obviously a danger. You’re in Texas get a gun and RO

3 Likes

No he can’t. Report to the police. Like ASAP

3 Likes

Nope once theyre terminated their terminated but definitely make a police report and get an OOP!!

2 Likes

You need an order of protection, then hed be ordered to stay away from your home, work, school. Protect your family. It’s just a piece of paper, but most honor them to stay out of jail.

1 Like

Pl go to counseling.

Idk if you CAN but contact the police and ask if you can file a report on the incident. That is very scary but NO he cannot get rights back. Doesn’t matter if it happened in another state. Please be careful and stay safe.

As many others have said contact the police. Be ready to defend yourself. Contact an attorney. But he cant get his rights back.

1 Like

Once terminated that cannot seek it back and for reasons as you are experiencing now. If you know for sure it was him file a police report before it gets going in any direction - he may not have any parental rights but that wouldn’t keep him from trying to kidnap his son just to hurt you - get police involved and stay protected. God Bless sweetie.

1 Like

Document!!! to take pictures/ videos, contact PD, a restraining order. If a judge terminated his right hes not getting them back.

1 Like

Take pictures and document every time you catch him stalking you and your child, let everyone important know you’ve seen him and to keep an eye out (husband, neighbors, employer, and even your child’s school!), surveillance cameras all around your home, and call or visit your local PD to see about what your options are and what you can do.

1 Like

Call a lawyer,and social services,and file a police report

I would be more worried why he’s stalking you. My gosh

2 Likes

How did he find you?

1 Like

If he forfits rights he cannot come back into the child’s life.
I would recommend getting ahold of the police as well as getting a restraining order.
But you need to keep in mind, a restraining order is just a piece of paper.
Be extra careful and it wouldn’t hurt talking to your kids about the situation (not the whole thing) but like he is bad and that if he ever gets close to them or the house that they call you or the other parent or something to that affect

3 Likes

Was he following you or does he know the people who live there and it’s coincidental?

1 Like

Don’t know what a 'ad litem ’ is. !! But if you are fearful, get a restraining order against him . And find out if he knows your neighbor. If not tell them he was on their property & sitting on their stuff.
I also would be scared. Why is he there?
Watch your son very careful. But at least if you notify the police & get his make - model and license plate number of his truck, just in case.
And notify your son’s school, that never to let anyone pick him up

1 Like

Nope he terminated legally he is legally not that childs father

No he can not and he has all rights to be at a friend’s house.

Make a report and make sure theres some.kind of protective order set up for you and your family against him. Call the non emergency line and ask them what to do. They will help keep those children and you guys safe.

1 Like

Go to a shooting range. Sign up for lessons.

3 Likes

Definitely find out if he actually knows the neighbor across the street! As far as getting rights back? No. He can’t. But I would be more focused on why he was across the street from your house. It could have been a coincidence. And I’m sorry that seeing him probably caused a ton of emotions and fears to flood back. My ex was abusive too and anytime he tries to contact me I feel physically ill. It sucks.

But if you find out he doesn’t know those neighbors? CALL THE POLICE. Mentally sane people don’t just beat their wives. If he wasn’t sane back then there’s no saying what mental state he’s in now. I don’t want to scare you but as you already know it’s better to be safe than sorry when dealing with these type of men. There is NO reason for him to be that close to your house unless he was actually visiting your neighbors.

Set up cameras around your house and check all cars for tracking divices

I don’t know the laws there but I wouldn’t think so once its done he has no rights but get a hold of a lawyer and tell ur husband the 2nd one and get a restraining order

I’m so excited my broken Marriage been restored my ex lover is back after he left me and our kids for another woman. i was so happy to met DR Friday how he help many people to bring there Lover back so i contact him to help me too. that was how DR.friday help me to bring my lover back… A big thank to you DR. Friday because I never thought my ex lover will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. if you are here and you need your Ex Lover back or your lover moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact: Email Dr Friday00@gmail. com Or WhatsApp +2348124948053

1 Like

You have nothing to worry about by him from courts standards. But i would file a restraining order if this keeps up. He has no legal rights to your child. But he might try to take your child. Follow up with family court in your area about what to do for the safety of you and child.

Restraining order now. That is far too coincidental

Get security cameras set up and see if he comes by often. If he does take it to the police and file harassment charges. Not sure it qualifies as harassment but they can tell you what you need to do at least. Either way, securoty cameras may deter him and at least can make you feel a little safer, and catch any potential activity.

Document, Document, Document. Take pictures when you can. Any evidence you can provide for a restrain order. Certainly go talk to those neighbors and if you have any other close neighbors tell them to keep an eye out.

Okay I’m gonna be real. While he has signed his rights away I’m willing to bet my last dollar that a man who will do anything like what you’ve described will also have no qualms in kidnapping that child. I’m not trying to scare you but you need to be real honest with yourself. You know him better than us. Do you see him being this way just to be an ass? I ask this from a perspective of having been in similar shoes. My ex threatened to steal the kids and run off to Mexico. While to some it may sound rather absurd to a few lawyers I talked to, it’s a real threat of reality. The likelihood of them getting my kids back was slim to none if he didnt wanna be found. Now my idiot ex never did this but it did not stop me from having a chat with every person that was at their school and anyone else that was around my kids. Never let anyone tell you that your gut feeling is off. I’d watch my kid like a hawk and file a paper trail so high it would annoy the police. At least they know when you call that you’ve had to deal with this dude being around and he is a serious threat. If they keep having to come out to make him leave, they’ll never forget him and know what he has done.

Report it to the police. Texas being the big state it is, hes not going to get parental rights back if the courts terminated. Texas wont do that for just any reason. But u definitely need to make your local police aware and maybe try a restraining order if it continues to get creepy. Watch your kids and yourself be safe and smart. He wont regain custody but he could still potentially hurt someone. Dont brush this off.

Some of these comments are a joke. He’s done nothing wrong “atleast yet”. He can’t get rights back. So dont worry about that. I would ignore it. He’s been gone years. Maybe speak to neighbors to see if he knows them. Might just be friends house. Not much you can do but be extra careful.

Once you terminate your rights willingly (even unwillingly I hear) it’s almost impossible to get them back. If you see him again, I would consider a restraining order.

6 Likes

Once you terminate, you’re done. Now, if you were found unfit and whatnot he may be able to put his 2 cents in.
But as far as the courts care: he doesn’t exist

1 Like

Restraining order and report everytime he is stalking or harassing you.

3 Likes

I think you should be able to get a restraining order. It works for some and not with others but its worth a try. Hopefully your neighbor is not in on this too

2 Likes

Call a lawyer and get his advice not Facebook advice.

10 Likes

Get a pistol and some pepper spray

5 Likes

Get a hand gun …until he actually threatens you there is nothing you can do legally…

5 Likes

Call the cops and get a restraining order if you see him around again call them asap and take pictures of him looking at u

7 Likes

Has new husband ever thought about adoption then he cant so anything

4 Likes

Nope he sign papers to late

1 Like

I agree with all the above.

• get a gun or pepper spray
  • call the police and file a report each time you see him
  • get a restraining order
  • it is near impossible for him to come back, but I’d be looking into what his motivation is after this long
8 Likes

Be prepared incase he tries to break in or worse hurt you.

2 Likes

No hun he remains with no legal rights to the child and showing up across the street could be construed as harassment.

4 Likes

Contact a attorney … please don’t take advice from social media

6 Likes