I am stressed and yelling at more kids more than I would like: Advice?

Hey mommas! I’ve noticed I’ve been stressed an insane amount and have been yelling at my kids way more than I’d like and not engaging with them as much as I should because I’m always stressed about the things they do(not bad things, just things kids do bc they’re kids, arguing, sassing etc.) Is there any free online parenting classes you know of? I’m searching around my town for help also.

15 Likes

Also know to get some mom time away time if possible to defrag. Your an amazing parent your kids love you, everyone at some point or another feels this way.

1 Like

A vacation to somewhere with just you and your S/O for a week would help that.

contact pediatrician, social services or local health department for information

1 Like

Count to 10 before you say anything unless some is dying. It works if you can remember to do it.

In my town I took a free parenting class at the hospital and they also provided daycare for your kids during it. Maybe check out if any hospitals or others do the same?

This parenting thing is not easy. We have good days and we have bad days. The important thing is not to beat ourselves up too badly when we have bad days. We are all human and doing the best that we can. Sometimes when i feel like I’m about to lose it I give myself a time out and walk into another room (sometimes with a glass of wine :grinning:). Removing yourself from the situation for a few minutes can do wonders! Good luck mama! You got this!!

8 Likes

What an awesome mom for seeking help! Bless you! Pediatrician or even your own doc…

1 Like

I think this is common among most, if not all, of us. Get “Mommy time”! Step away! Woo-sah!
When you feel overwhelmed and you can’t have mommy time… Try taking a walk with them or find other activities to help burn their energy or just change the energy period. I read an article about children also being overwhelmed and/or having tough days… They may just need to nap or have their attention redirected.
Seek real help!
You got this!

1 Like

Sounds to me you need some you time. With the holidays coming up things get stressful. Lately I’ve been taking a 10-20min walk to let me clear my head and that helps me. However you choose to unwind, but take some time for yourself.

To train up a child… seriously worth a read

I started going to therapy. Accepted medication to deal with my anxiety, depression and anger. I haven’t looked into parenting classes but I think I will also!

1 Like

If there is a crisis pregnancy center in your area they often times offer parenting classes or have life coaches available to help with these things and are usually free. I feel the same way you do sometimes mama! Take a chunk out of your day to be silly with the kids…like play simon says or put on some music and do aome silly dances…they will get to see you have fun, they will get energy out and you will destress too cause you are exercising and laughing…getting that dopamine fix

Look into love and logic

Girl get a day out! As much as you love your kids, being with them 247 is mentally draining. And can cause depression. So find a day to get out. Hire a babysitter, or ask a relative to watch them. And you go do you! Go eat, pedi and mani, shopping. Hell , even window shopping. Go hang out with a friend and yall just talk about life. Maybe you just need a girlfriend to talk to.

1 Like

I don’t have any recommendations in regards to parenting classes; I just wanted to say that your recognizing that there’s an issue, reaching out, and actively wanting to change things are all indicators that you are a caring and attentive mom, and you deserve a lot of credit for that. Remember that there is no such thing as a perfect parent, but the fact that you are open to help and want to better yourself as a mom really speaks volumes about your character and your love for your children. It takes a very strong person to do so, and they are super-lucky to have a mom who cares enough to do that. I applaud you for seeking improvement and wish you all the luck in the world. Happy holidays!

6 Likes

You are not alone Iam definetly feeling the same … I have a 7,6 and 2 year old twins…

1 Like

Is there a Marijuana type for us stressed moms,seems to be types for sleep, high or pain.Valium woeks well but try getting more than a few out of the GP

Self care!!! I am so serious. You can’t be the best mom if you’re not you’re best you. I always feel good after me time. Even if its just taking a longer shower, doing my nails, etc.

1 Like

The best thing you can do is take some time for yourself. Get a sitter for a day. Even if all you do is sit at home and enjoy some peace and quiet.

1 Like

You’re human just take a bath and drink a glass of wine and try again tomorrow :heart:

3 Likes

1-2-3 parenting book was awesome for me. While it kind of lays out the ground work of the most effective ways of counting to 3 before your in trouble, it also gives good advice in how to calm down as the parent. Long story short, it basically says when your children are arguing, or doing things you already said no to, you go through the numbers. It doesn’t have to be for the same offense. So John is on 1 for pulling Sallys hair. Then John is on 2 because he didn’t clean up his mess after being asked. Then John is 3 because he threw his lunch on the floor. Once you hit 3, you say “take 5” this could literally be a 5 minute time out, or just a brief period for him to go to his room. It gives you a break from him to calm your own nerves, and him a break to realize he is going to have a boring day in his room if he doesn’t start acting right. It doesn’t really sound to me like you need a parenting class. More of a support group. Parenting classes are for those who need correction and guidance on how to parent. Just by the fact that you can admit there is an issue tells me you don’t really need that, just maybe some other mom friends who have similar struggles that you can vent to and get ideas from.

Call your local county office. They usually offer free parenting classes. Some provide meals and daycare. Another option is joining MOPS group. Chatting with other mom’s, having play groups help out.

A tip from a parenting class that I learned. Give yourself a time out.

Set 10 or 15 minutes out to activity play with your kids. Color, play a game, put a puzzle together. It’s better to give them 10 or 15 minutes, than trying to find an hour or more. That little bit speaks volumes! Get them involved in what your doing. Have them help you with household chores. Grocery shopping.

Schedule a regular babysitter each week to give yourself a break.

1 Like

Do something to help you relax. If you feel irritated or like you’re about to yell at your kids, give yourself a time out. 5-10 mins.

1 Like

How many kids? Ages? I am from a family of 5 I am the eldest so helped with the youngers. Is that possible in your household? Remember the last thing you do/say will be what will be in your head if something happens to the child. Take a time out for yourself and the kids. Find a place to take them to, to run around. YMCA, swimming and you can relax while they run out the energy. Look into a part time job that is fun even if your wages pay for the childcare. Takes allot to make me angry so I am lucky I guess. We lived in the country which it made it easier for running the energy out of the youngers.

It sounds like you’re burnt out and need to make time for yourself

6 Likes

You may benefit from seeking out a therapist who can help you unwind and learn ways to be more in control of the moments where you feel out of control.

Take time to decompress mama bear !

2 Likes

Take some time for a little self care. It can do wonders.

Conscious discipline, as well a love and logic are some good resources.

But honestly is sounds like you need a mama day. Burn out is real. That’s why self care is so important

1 Like

Find someone to watch the children for a day, take a nice long bath and take a quiet nap. Sometimes just taking some me time helps so much.

I LOVE the parenting podcast Unruffled with Janet Lansbury. It is changing my LIFE with 2 kids under 2. The yelling, the talking back, the frustration, all of it.

Triple P positive parenting is a free online course. I think it would be really helpful from what you’ve said. Good luck!

Catholic Charities, normally has local parenting courses ranging from free to 30 bucks.

Im in the same boat but my stress is over my husband and it gets turned into a bad attitude for me and that gets taken out on my daughter. I just have to apologize to her some times because she’s 2 so she doesn’t understand why mommy doesn’t want to play or color and why I’m yelling.

3 Likes

Ugghh…I feel like this post was made for me :weary:.

1 Like

First of all, this is way more common then you’re probably thinking. Also, it takes a lot of courage to admit & take steps to get to where you want to be in your parenting. I would suggest setting aside a time to do something just for YOU; that helps with the stress and relax. Whether it’s an hour at the gym or a self movie date… It’s not selfish to step away once in a while to refresh and be your best for your kiddos.

10 Likes

Pleases reach out to a therapist or dr. I went thru this 100% and now I’m on some medicines and get a extra source to talk to and it has done so much for me. There is no shame in having a outside voice

1 Like

Check into local parenting classes maybe thay offer something…Remember yelling just causes more yelling…Talk to your DR. if you can’t find answers soon.

2 Likes

This was made for me. I’m a single mom to five, it’s chaotic and some days I find myself doing the same. I’ve been looking into a therapist honestly. Do something for YOURSELF too so you can unwind and have a clear head. To sort out any issues you’re going through :purple_heart: that can help as well.

6 Likes

I feel you :100:…an elder at my church discussed doing a 10 count before responding if you feel emotional (all relationships not just kids :rofl:). I will say this does help with not making quick over reactions and allows it to get to a more rationale part of your brain.

2 Likes

Girl, I have three boys. I’m always yelling. Lol. They don’t take it personal, they know I’m doing my best. My oldest even told me once that he’s glad I don’t sugarcoat everything and I’m the realest person he knows because I tend to be blunt and honest.
But if you feel like it’s really that bad, seek a councilor or maybe take some time and just focus on yourself. Maybe go to a gym or even for a walk just to reset. Don’t feel guilty… you were someone before kids and that someone still matters too! :heart: good luck!

9 Likes

Find the cause of your stress and focus your energy on healing that part of your life :slightly_smiling_face: it’s usually not the kids fault but we as moms are always under so much pressure we can snap and that’s ok! Usually means we are giving to much of ourself in one area causing an imbalance find what you need to balance yourself again and live in peace :heart::heart: moms give everything they have it’s ok to take a break or breather or set up some healthy boundaries.

3 Likes

Meditation and prayer before bed can help. Set a small daily achievable parenting goal, and keep a journal of this.

2 Likes

I TOTALLY EMPATHIZE WITH YOU!! I have been catching myself constantly screaming and yelling, “NO!”, “STOP!!”, etc. Now my 20 month old tells and does the same thing. I don’t want to be the preoccupied, stressed out, yelling mom. I am so worried about the damage my short fuse, frustration, and being generally overwhelmed is causing my child. I don’t want him to grow up with that…

2 Likes

I have 5 kids 4 boys 1 girl. And it always seems like there’s yelling. I’ve done a couple of parenting classes. I really recommend love and logic. Or magic 123. Love and logic teaches natural consciences. Which worked very well for my kids. You could also reach out to your local welfare office they may have other resources. But definitely try and set aside some you time. I also had to get a strict routine set. That’s helped a lot. We have good days and bad days. But it’s getting better. It will always be a work in progess.

1 Like

I dont think you need a parenting class… You need a yoga class and then drinks with the girls

2 Likes

Get the kids involved in something active! You can try doing night time yoga on youtube and sometimes it can be depression but even if it’s depression, it wont go away completely.

1 Like

Girrl u aint the only one …i think is a lot of us

1 Like

I feel soo guilty about this too… Atleast youve realised it so you can fix it. What i do is i tell the kids im not feeling so well so please dont trouble me right now. Breathe and apologise. Kids are aware of life more than we realise. Find a stress relieving place for you, gym, yoga, take a lil nap… What ever it is bothering you please fix it or deal with it, come to terms… So you can the best mom that you are.

1 Like

I have read every comment so far and I’m so proud of all of you many years ago i felt the same way you all have an we as women an mothers know we have and still carry stress keep healthy and smile spiritual stability an friendships bless all of you

I yell all the time and A) I’m naturally loud and blunt and B) I’m “stressed” (an understatement) because I literally do not get breaks and even though all people need breaks, certain personalities just really overload from the constant noise, busyness, etc. My older two are soooo loud and my younger ones are clingy and needy 24/7. It’s a lot and I never get girls night or anything. Some of those “perfect” moms you see also get a lot of help and breaks. Not saying it excuses our outbursts but not taking care of YOU makes it hard to do life, period. We’re the only ones living in our heads. It’s not so easy to just “be positive.” For me I honestly have to use meds that help with mood/anxiety or I’d probably never cope.

As a new mom, I did this for a bit. My daughter had a delay in speech which caused her to A. Not be able to tell me what she wanted or needed and B. Throw very vocal tantrums. I found myself yelling and getting really mad. Like mad mad. I truly grossed me out. The moment I realized how ugly it was I worked my butt off to stop. I started to be able to recognize when I was getting to that point. I would get right down to my daughters level, hold her hands and talk calmly to her. See most people thought “wow, you’re a great mom, so patient and calm”… no. Wrong. I’m doing this for me, because I canny physically yell in my child’s face. I hold her hands to ground me.

We all talk about watching for a child’s triggers like us moms don’t or can’t have any, but we do! We just hide it really well. Find yours and find away to calm or ground yourself. If you ever need or want to talk/vent, I’m here :two_hearts:

There are plenty of online resources, but I would simply suggest implementing a routine, setting the boundaries you want, sticking to it through the depths of the change, and monitor your own behavior through the process. You know you want to stop yelling, so… stop.

OMG girl I’m right there with you! I have 3 kids 2 girls ages 2 and 4 and 1 boy age 5 and especially with the oldest I am always yelling it seems like…I get so stressed and overwhelmed! I never get a break and I’m a single mom! I get so upset with myself all the time cause it seems like I’m constantly yelling…but my kids know I love them! It’s not all yelling and fighting…just gotta take the good with the bad!