I am wanting another baby but am scared of getting PPD again: Advice?

So my boyfriend and I have been together for exactly two years. I have a five-year-old son from a previous relationship. I’m getting to that point of wanting another baby, so my children will be close in age together. My problem is, I’m torn between wanting one now and waiting because after I had my son, I had postpartum depression VERY badly for a good 6-8 months after he was born. His father wasn’t helping, though, and we were living in my mom’s new home that didn’t have a tv or anything yet… I was home alone 12 hours out of the day while everyone worked, and I think all of that contributed to the depression a little. But I’m still afraid that it would happen again. My boyfriend is amazing with my son, and he absolutely adores babies/kids in general, so I know he’d be a great father. But it’s almost like I have PTSD. I want another one in the next year, but that fear is still in the back of my mind telling me I’m not ready for it because I’m scared of the after effects of it. Does anyone have any comforting advice for me? Anything helps.

8 Likes

PPD isnt a guarantee to happen in all you pregnancies. You should talk to your doctor and maybe see a therapist before you start ttc. I had PPD with my first and even had an open cps case. Months after going through it all CPS cleared me and took it off my record since I did everything I was supposed to do and signed myself up for parenting classes on my own. My second pregnancy with twins went alot better and didnt get PPD. Good luck!

I had bad PPD after my first and second babies. The third, I’m not even taking the prescribed sertraline! After my first 2 boys, I went back on my normal depression meds + the sertraline. I haven’t taken anything since having my 3rd and feel good!

If you feel like you’re not ready then you’re not ready, simple. Don’t jump into it being scared of PPD bc unfortunately that is something that is almost unavoidable. Your safest bet is talk to your Dr and start a depression medicine before even getting pregnant & go from there

I had it with both . Still have it with my second ( he’s 3 weeks ) and I feel the same … I don’t want anymore because I don’t want to feel this way again it’s definitely rough :weary:

I had PPD with my son because I had almost no support and was with an abusive man who further isolated me.

My daughter was born just a few weeks. Not only did I not need antidepressants this pregnancy, I’m not having any symptoms of PPD.

My BF and his family have been wonderful and supportive and have made this so much better than last time.

Sometimes PPD is situational and environmental, so since your circumstances have changed you are not guaranteed to have it again.

2 Likes

PPD with my first, none with my second. I think being forced to deal with a toddler and a newborn had me too busy to be all that depressed.

First I recommend getting married first before having anymore kids out of wedlock and to set a good example for your children. And when the time is right and can afford another baby and possibly a nanny in case you get PPD again, only then have another kid.

1 Like

I personally would talk to a doctor now with your concerns just so you can be on alert and monitored.
Kindly share your fears with your boyfriend and let me reassure you he will be there!!
I’m hoping it all works out for you and you can welcome you a new bundle of joy :black_heart::heart:

PPD is THAT traumatic so your not dramatizing that fear of going through it again… I have it horribly after babies as well and I’m dreading PPD more than anything else after I have mine. I’m even looking into getting my placenta encapsulated to try and help ward off PPD because I’m willing to try anything! Antidepressants, even a low dose to take the edge off helped wonders with my second and 3rd babies.

1 Like

I had PPD after I had my first daughter. When I got pregnant with my second my doctor recommended I start therapy to combat getting PPD with my second. My situation was much better with my second child and the therapy really helped.

I’d ask him. Do you plan to get married and be together for the long run? That’s the only big thing I’d worry about just in case it didn’t work out bc then you’d have 2w2 and not many guys are understanding anymore. I had slight ppd going from 1-2 but 2-3 I’ve been fine. You know what to expect after the first kid for the most part. Since your in a happy relationship this time around and he’s supportive you should be fine compared to the bd who was the opposite

Do not let the fear hold you back like you said the situation is way different now and things might go completely amazing… But you have to go into it positive and push the fear out every time it trys to sneak back in! You got this :muscle:

I had PPD with my first, my than husband at the time had his brother and family living with us. I feel that was a contributing factor. I didn’t have it with 2nd and 3rd born. I feel all pregnancies are different. I wish you the best!

My sister swears that consuming her placenta helped enormously with her ppd. Might sound gross, I know. But you can get it dried, ground and put into capsules so you take it like a vitamin.

I technically had PPD/PPP ( I had day dreams and thoughts that still haunt me) so I get where you are coming from it is scary to purposely put yourself in that spot again.

But you know your worst now. You know the signs and you can take steps to mitigate a reoccurrence. I had 3 more children (12 years from my oldest) and never got it again.

1. Talk to your dr.
  2. Talk to your SO
  3. Research extended skin to skin after birth. It’s known to lower PPD chances.
  4. Don’t be afraid. You beat it once you can do it again.

I would get married before having more kids, is your boyfriend helpful with your son now. That’s a big indicator of how much support you would have with a new baby. I would talk to your doctor or preferably a Natural Path doctor about what you need to do or take before during and after delivery.

1 Like

I feel the same! My son is only 6 months and I want to wait a couple years but I’m always afraid of ppd, I had it for the first 2 months and sometimes I still have my days. And I’ll add my partner was and is 100% supported and helpful and I still got ppd. So I’m super nervous about going through it again in the future especially after overcoming it…

1 Like

Honestly if I were you I would wait and being married doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be there for you more either you need to really think is this the one you truly want to be with and love for the rest of your life and him the same and talk to your bf too but in the end it’s truly up to you and your boyfriend

I had ppd with my son but not with my daughter.

Also had PPD after my first that turned to psychosis. I talked to my partner before we started trying about it and the triggers and put a plan in place to avoid them as much as possible and we talk about anything triggering me as it comes up now that we have a newborn. Always have a plan in place and feel comfortable talking about it with your partner before going on the pregnancy journey

You’re definitely not alone feeling that way. I truly feel like I have PTSD from having PPD so badly too. I didn’t get it with my first, but did with my second. Two years ago now but It is something that I will never forget bc of how horrible I felt. It honestly solidified my decision to not want kids again. Sorry, I have no advice, only here to say you’re feelings are valid❤️

1 Like

Dude ppd is traumatic! Had it after my first but didnt know wtf I was going thru. Had it with my second and kinda realized wtf was going on. Talked to a doc and got help. (Meds didnt help and I found my own way). I had my son 4yr ago and now pregnant with our 3rd. I’m absolutely terrified I will get it again because again we are alone in a new state with zero support (like we were with our 2nd). BUT I am aware of it now. I know what signs to look for. I am prepared for this unlike the last 2 times. Plus talking with your spouse helps tremendously and finding your support system before will help a lot too. I’d talk to your spouse and make sure you guys are 100% in it together. That will help you

I was terrified when i got pregnant now eith my second because i still suffer from ppd 2 years after giving birth. I talked to my doctor and no questions asked he got me started on an anti depressant! Talk to your doc about your valid concerns and make a plan so if you do start to experience it you are set to get the help you need!

I had PTSD and PPD after my first. Counseling and medication were key to helping me though. Trauma counseling really helped when I was pregnant with my second to prepare for arrival. If you already had it you are well aware of the signs and can get help right away. You do not need to suffer through it, there is a lot of help out there for new moms.

same here…following

10 years later I got ppd after my second. But I was prepared I knew the signs and i went on meds asap. You got this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Forget it be happy of what you have now

1 Like

It’s gonna happen weather you want it to or not . Talk to your dr before hand and plan accordingly.

I waited almost 7 years between babies. I had PPD with the first and honestly think I may have had postpartum psychosis. I can honestly say in my case my drastically different situation from the first pregnancy to the second made all the difference. And i did not suffer like i did with the first

1 Like

Read orgasmic birth, I also advise you that each pregnancy different and very much depends on your partner and their support. I’m a SAHM I’m alone with the kids 14 hours a day most days and when he is home hes very involved with the children. I don’t mind doing all the home stuff as long as I’m being appreciated. I had antenatal depression due to the way I was being treated during my pregnancy, because I was sleeping.

You’re aware of the fact you may suffer from PPD again which will help you recognize early warning signs and seek the help you may need.
Aside from the previous situation you were in, and as much as your boyfriend likes kids, it would be wise to sit down and make sure he also wants your family to grow.
He would need to be willing to step up not only for your son and a new child, but for you as well especially if you’re predisposed.

Seek help immediately after for your PPD. And also let your doc know that you suffered from it, so they can keep an eye out.

It sounds like you have a supportive partner which is really what you need. Support. Don’t be afraid to have another baby, every situation is different and you might find this to be a very positive experience this time round. Find some support groups, keep regular contact with your doctor and keep communication open with your family. Keep your concerns out in the open. Don’t bottle up. Have plans in place for yourself. Do what you feel is right for you and your family.

Have a husband…it helps. Really…big difference in experiences.

Its all abojt circumstances. Before you had a deadbeat babydaddy snd the stress of that alone with being a new mom didnt help. It all depends. Some people get it again some dont and then others like me get it 1000 times worse. Now i dont say that to scare you but to let you know it can happen but if you and bf are on same page and hes ready to step up and do every little thing he can for you then you may be ok. Going from 1 kid to 2 is a little rough getting used to. Make sure your in a good place mentally, have a bf that will 100% without a doubt do what he needs and help you with baby and 1st kid. Kids can regress after second baby comes. Mine did. Started acting out and developed a studder almost instantly after we brought her home. Breastfeeding wasnt an option because my sons needs became more important and he was formula fed and is fine. Its a pretty big jump for some going to 2. I struggled hard but i also knew from the begining i wasnt ready for 2 but i sucked it up and its been rough. I dont have ppd but with each pregnancy my anxiety has gotten worse then i could ever imagine. Its a struggle everyday buttt still worth it all. Not having help and being a new mom could have been your problem but if you got a good man that is willing to do whatever it takes thdn youll be ok. And even if your not tell him something he can do or say when your having a rough time with it that will make it better. With my anxiety i tell my husband look if this happens i need you to do thing and it made a very big difference. Him undsrstanding me and being able to talk through my fears and concerns and feelings and him listening and understanding almost completely makes my anxiety go away. After i cry. Alot lol.

I had PPD extremely bad with my first and much milder with my second but with one of my SILs it was the opposite.

They have medicine for it

Talk to your partner & explain your fears & tell him the kind of support you’ll need/expect. & once you’ve fallen pregnant, talk to your Dr so there’s a plan in place. At least if it happens this time round, you’ll know the signs

I just feel your hormones are all out of wack after having baby. My first one I didn’t have it. My second baby I did. This third time around I’m already looking for a therapist. I have horrible anxiety and PTSD from when my mom passed. Im just preparing myself if I get PPD too. It doesn’t last always and you can always get medication or talk with a therapist.

I’m thinking of trying an emotional support animal this time too. Maybe a dog when baby is 3 months or so. Will make me get out of the house and go for walks. Take it day by day a little easier.

1 Like

Still to this day battling untreated PPD because doctors are too expensive for this single mama. No one wants to help us. I totally feel you girl.

1 Like

I don’t get why ppl are laughing on this post! PPD is a serious thing

1 Like

I don’t have any great advice except for you to research and prepare yourself so that maybe you can get through it with no post partum or perhaps a lighter case of it. I had it a little too. It was kind of confusing for me. I wasn’t prepared for it. Good luck honey. I wouldn’t let fear stop me.

I had severe PPD with my first daughter and kind of the same situation. No help from her father, he only saw her ONCE in the first 7 months she was alive. Never bothered to call or text me to check in on her. Now I have a beautiful baby who is almost 2 months old with a different man and I did have PPD but it wasn’t near as bad as the first time. My boyfriend now is extremely supportive and was there thru it all, no matter how much he didn’t understand it. You will possibly have PPD again but if you know you’re secure in your relationship this time around I wouldn’t stress yourself. Plus this time around you know the signs and can get help before it gets bad! I wish you all the best of luck!!

Perhaps some counciling before to easy the anxiety may help. Your fear isn’t baseless but it also doesn’t have to control you. Sounds like you are in better situations which may help as well as having the previous experience so you know what to watch for and when to ask for help.