I am wanting to have an at home water birth: Advice?

so I have a question for moms who have had at home birth I am worried about this coronavirus I live in a small small town in Nevada, and the hospital won’t be equipped for me, and I would rather have it at home and have a natural water birth Medicaid does not cover midwife and I do have a family member that’s a nurse does anyone have any input or advice that has had an at-home water birth for me thank you I am due in 4 weeks

14 Likes

Do you mean the hospital can’t do a water birth or they can’t handle a normal hospital birth? Because if it’s the latter you need to drive somewhere else for the safety of you and your child. Having a home birth isn’t ideal if there aren’t emergency sites available nearby.

12 Likes

I had a midwife deliver my daughter in the hospital with Medicaid and i was covered??

Tbh you are Leaving it VERY late to Plan a home birth if u are due in 4weeks!

7 Likes

hurtbyhomebirth.blogspot.com

1 Like

Home birth is cool, but if you can’t find a certified midwife I don’t think it’s safe. Even a registered nurse isn’t going to fully be able to help you with a natural water birth like a midwife could. It’s just a risk I personally would not take- even with COVID-19.

4 Likes

I had a home birth at 37 weeks but we had been prepared to do it for months and months. There is a lot of things you need to get to have a home birth. The hospital should be equipped to deliver a baby, I’ve never heard of a hospital not able to. If you haven’t been planning a home birth then you should really consider going to the hospital. I had severe postpartum hemorrhaging and almost bled out and thankfully I live ten minutes away from the hospital. Home births are amazing and beautiful if done correctly

2 Likes

Go to the hospital please.

2 Likes

Check YouTube! There’s tons of moms on there that have had water births!

Go to the closet hospital where you can give birth.

Have you discussed this with your OBGYN? Do you have an OBGYN?

3 Likes

I don’t understand these home births!.. What if something goes wrong!? You don’t have the right equipment or machines to save a life if needed

8 Likes

4 weeks?? Girl, that’s cutting it really close! Most people plan home births for months. Coronavirus isn’t that new…you are probably better off going to the hospital. Definitely discuss this with ur OBGYN.

1 Like

Don’t. There are several situations that could happen that could mean life or death for you or baby. Things go wrong in childbirth.

3 Likes

Home births can be extremely dangerous. You are adding to that danger by not having a qualified medical person delivering for you. Had it not been for being in the hospital while having my perfect now healthy daughter she would not have made it! Her sugars were bottomed out when born and wouldn’t rise with feedings.

2 Likes

Home birth is actual very dangerous. Should you or baby need emergency medical care that could be life or death for the baby and or yourself

2 Likes

Home water birth takes so much planning. If you do decide to, let the local EMTs know of your plans so they can be prepared to help should you need to go to the hospital. But being you’re due in 4 weeks, you should’ve had tour birth setup for somewhere already. I would highly suggest checking with the hospital instead.

3 Likes

I had a home birth with my last. Please don’t have your heart set on a water birth, by the time the pool was filled up, he was crowning :joy::joy:

2 Likes

My last birth was home, but I didn’t have room for a pool anywhere. Everything went fine. This time i am going to get a pool though. Looking at the oasis brand.

1 Like

I would advise no. I’ve had 5 kids and my 3rd was almost 11 lbs, he got stuck and had I not been in a hospital he and I would have died. You never know what could happen.

1 Like

Also want to add that my homebirth was so much more beautiful and safe and peaceful than my hospital births:) I don’t plan on ever going back after getting to experience homebirth.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t do a home water birth it very dangerous and something could happen at any moment go to the hospital

1 Like

Im not sure id home birth with just a nurse. A midwife costs about 4000 i think (im in canada so its free/covered).midwives are trained to deal with trauma and know when they cant help and to send you to the hospital.they always have a back up plan… i plan a home birth with my next babe:) less stress and less medical intervention

3 Likes

Do you mean the hospital doesn’t provide the option to do a water birth? Nurses and midwives are not the same. This is something that takes lots of preparation not something that you throw together last minute.

5 Likes

You need a midwife hun. It’s not worth having unassisted if you can avoid it. Can you payment plan? I dont know how it works in the us. You can hire a pool to birth in but I think it’s too late for that now.

1 Like

Google what can go wrong in childbirth. If you aren’t prepared for every one of those possibilities at home, don’t have a baby at home. Childbirth is dangerous and the safest place for you and babe is at the hospital. If something goes wrong at home you’re minimum 30 min to help and that’s already waaaay too late

4 Likes

I wanted a birthing center delivery to avoid Covid. Then I saw a recent story about a family who lost their baby because of delivery complications. That solidified my decision to have a hospital birth. I need a medical staff available if something goes wrong. That is a bigger risk than Covid for me.

3 Likes

I tried to have a home water birth but my baby got stuck after 48 hours in really painful labor. Also my water broke 24 hours before that. On the third day I had to be rushed to the hospital because my son and I almost died. I definitely wouldn’t try again

I had a home water birth but I am in Canada so I don’t have any advice as to that but just so you know it was such an amazing experience and I would do it agin! Not much planning for me as I just needed a bunch of towels aswell as things for myself after birth (but that’s the regular stuff) I would suggest getting a midwife as they can help you and keep things monitored. You may have to contact a few as you are going to give birth soon and they need to plan. if it doesn’t work out you may have to go to the hospital but keep yourself known to them of what you want! Good luck :two_hearts:

2 Likes

EW! @ everyone’s attitude towards this girl. FOR ONE ! Don’t let anyone tell you it’s hard to do at home. The shit is hard regardless, and it doesn’t matter when you decide to tell EMT & other groups that your doing this. Like literally can be the moment you feel yourself going into labor. Someone will help you. At home births are so much more personable than a bunch of nurses and whatnot surrounding you in a typical step by step birth. Every birth should be special in their own way, their own experience. I say go for it 🤷

fot high risk pregnancy yes. But midwifes are trained for every situation and can assist in Csections. I had my second in my home and it was so much more relaxing as I didn’t have to go anywere. My sister had all 3 of hers at home. Even a family member who is a nurse had hers at home.

If the hospital isn’t equipped because they no longer have an L&D department, they will still have to take you if you’re in active labor. That’s the law. Once the baby is born and you both are stabilized, you’ll both be transferred to the nearest L&D unit.

Both of my kids were delivered in the hospital by CNMs (Certified Nurse Midwives) that I saw all throughout my pregnancies and I have Medi-Cal (Medicaid in California). I just had to go to a hospital slightly farther out where they had privileges.

Im not going to tell you not to have a home water birth . As i hope by now you have done your research… But i will say a midwife not a nurse should be there as your primary… A nurse is great in emergency settings etc… But a midwife can tell when somethings not right and will be able to take actions needed in life threatening situations for the baby. They are trained for this they deal with it on a daily bases a nurse does not… But best of luck to you

At home births should have a lot more preparation than just 4 weeks. I would go to the hospital if I was you especially sense you don’t even have a midwife yet.

1 Like

I had so many unforseen problems delivering my first child that i would never advice A home birth of any kind. If i had not been at a hospital, my baby and i would probably have died. You never know what may arise during childbirth. I reccommend a hospital 100per cent

4 Likes

I would see if the hospital may do water births so that way if somethings goes wrong you are there. Sometimes you only have minutes to get the baby out safe. I wouldn’t risk it

I have had one hospital birth with my first child and 3 home births. I didn’t do a water birth though. I loved the home births. They were so much more calm and relaxing than rushing to the hospital. And the midwives always stay for hours after the birth to make sure you and the baby are ok. I also wouldn’t want to be going to the hospital right now with covid 19 either, unless I had to of course. So I would say if your pregnancy is not high risk and you feel comfortable and safe go for the home birth.

2 Likes

I would be dead if I had tried a home birth. It is impossible to plan for every possible outcome even if you are prepared. Which, you are not. Go to a hospital or birthing center where you and your baby can get help should you need it. There are so many common complications with having a baby that really can be life threatening without the proper medical attention.

How is a hospital not equipped for you but you think a home birth is? Please brain. If I didn’t have a hospital with my latest, I would have likely bled out

Honey I’m not sure which small town your in but if it’s close to reno I would go to renown. You can ask your ob to set a time for you to get induced close to your due date. You get to bring a support person in this hospital. I got induced 16 months ago and they ended up saving me and my babies life. My body was doing great but her heart stopped and the cord wrapped around her throat twice. They gave me an emergency csection within 10 minutes. They are wonderful. Please dont consider a home birth they can be wonderful or without a trained professional they could be in more danger then a hospital. Renown has great policies to keep you and the baby together and safe.

I have 4 children. The first 2 were born via csection 17 and 16 years ago. The last 2 were born at home with a midwife. I couldn’t do a water birth because it gave me the urge to push too soon with my first one, so I didn’t even try with my second time. They were born “on dry land” (our couch) as it’s called… Lol…

If you’re due in a few weeks, there’s not much time for you to educate yourself. There are plenty of great books on the topic, though.

Basically, the medical community sees birth as a medical event, whereas the midwife community views it as a natural function that our bodies are made to do without a lot of interventions (IVs, induction, pain meds/ epidural).

Find a midwife who has experience. Mine had over 30 years experience and was amazing. So intuitive and knew what she was doing. With my last birth, I was across the room on my yoga ball, breathing through contractions. I suddenly felt the urge to push and told her. Within seconds, she had me off the ball, on the couch and told me to go ahead and push. Baby was born 10 minutes later. I asked her later how she knew I was completely dilated and she said, “I just knew by watching and listening to you. I’ve been doing this for a long time”… Lol…

The majority of responses will be the typical mainstream viewpoint, but home births do happen. Bless you!

Go to the hospital. Most hospitals offer the option to do a water birth. Even if you and your baby have had no complications during your pregnancy, it is still possible for something life threatening to happen to you or your baby.

I switched to doing a homebirth around 33 weeks. I did have a big tub but I didn’t end up actually giving birth in it because I was in labor for 36 hours, we ran out of hot water by then. But I did labor in it and it helped alot. I’m really glad I did a homebirth.

Normally state insurance will not pay for it - find yourself a midwife. Set up a payment plan. All 3 of my all natural births.

Out of my 3 children, my youngest was born with his cord around his neck. The Doctors and nurses knew because they were monitoring us and he was stressing. If I had been at home it could have been a tragedy. You just never know. I’m all about having trained professionals there. You need a Dr or midwife present.

9 Likes

Not that I don’t think at home births are amazing because they are. But during this pandemic it would be safer for you deliver under midwife care in a hospital environment so you and baby are safe. You need a skilled midwife especially if anything was to go wrong xx

3 Likes

I’m an L&D nurse and this is not a good idea at all. Also, if your family member who is a nurse doesn’t work labor & delivery, she will be of no assistance to you…it’s a specialty area for a reason. We’ve had moms come in after trying to deliver at home and their baby is gone by the time they arrive to the hospital.

19 Likes

I just had a home birth for my 5th baby. It was the most incredible experience to date!
It was so much more relaxed than any of my hospital births. Easier for labor, easier transition as there was no period to prepare for going home.
But important to note,
I had a healthy pregnancy, and my midwives were present for the birth.
Definitely dont do it without someone who’s trained but definitely go ahead if you have a midwife and a healthy pregnancy.
Good luck

2 Likes

If the hospital isn’t “equipped” for you, how do you intend to get care if something goes awry at home? Obstetrics emergencies happen quickly.

12 Likes

look at your state laws. Here you cannot have a midwife or any medical professional present at a home birth. If something goes wrong they can be charged criminally.

If this is your first child I highly recommend you do it in a hospital because you dont know your pain tolerance. You may want to do a all natural but things change especially when your in alot of pain. Or for some ungodly reason you might need a C section. I get not wanting to do it at the hospital they are awful . I don’t think any of us moms like staying in the hospital for 2 to 3 days lol but it’s better to be safe then sorry .
Maybe try to call around to surroundings hospitals see what they offer.

6 Likes

You need an experienced midwife. They can be a few thousand dollars. You also need to have a healthy pregnancy with no prior complications.

3 Likes

I would recommend a hospital my 4th child had the cord rapped around her neck 3 times and my last two had breathing problems and had to be put on oxygen so many things can happen so quickly that its safer to be at a hospital to treat you or baby right away prayers that you have a safe and healthy delivery but if anything went wrong with you or the baby you may not be able to get help quick enough oh and we had no clue the cord was around her neck until her head was out and my dr yelled to stop pushing and the look on my husband’s face I knew something was wrong

1 Like

I don’t mean to be a downer but I had an emergency c section due to pelvis being too small for any baby to pass through. If this is your first baby I’d be very cautious, anything could happen.

2 Likes

You need a skilled midwife, not just any nurse. Either direct entry or Certified Nurse Midwife. The provider is the only one who could speak to the safety of a home birth for you. Many factors go into consideration.

7 Likes

I had a home birth with my first child. I now have 3 kids and delivering my first child at home was by far the best experience. My midwife charged on a sliding scale so it was affordable. Not easy to find a midwife like that tho!

Coming from a nurse … this is probably the worst idea. You absolutely need a mid wife or a nurse that specializes in only labor and delivery.

6 Likes

A labor and delivery nurse and a midwife are 2 completely different things. Still things happen we do not expect and emergencies…

Sounds like a horrible idea :persevere: you need more than a nurse with you!

3 Likes

What ever you do make sure you have an actual midwife present. Not to scare you but anything can go wrong, we may live in modern times but child birth is still as dangerous today as it was millions of years ago.

2 Likes

If this is your first child, then no i wouldnt do it. And if its not your first and you want to do it at home, you need a labor and delivery nurse or midwife present, not just a regular nurse, and i hate to put it that way because nurses are awesome and badass, but you need one with more specific training, just in case. They are trained to watch out for particular things and know different techniques and maneuvers that can be more helpful. And if your local hospital isnt equipped properly, then i would absolutely advise against it, because if something goes wrong, and its been known to happen, you need access to a proper hospital. Best of luck!

1 Like

Theres lots of moving parts. I don’t recommend it at all. You need a real midwife to begin with not a rent a nurse you know. You could put yourself & baby at risk.

4 Likes

I feel like there needs to be more info. Is this your first child? Have you had a healthy pregnancy?

I wouldn’t risk it, no way

Yeahhh don’t do it. That’s my advice

Home birth is actual very dangerous. Should you or baby need emergency medical care that could be life or death for the baby and or yourself

2 Likes

Could you really live with your self if something happened because you chose home where there isn’t real medical care

3 Likes

Mid wife not a nurse

1 Like

Women have had babies for thousands of years without hospitals. Relax. You’ll be safer at home then in any hospital now.

2 Likes

Sadly many babies are born sleeping even in the hospital environment … Check out … Now I lay me down to sleep … Sending peace and light

I delivered all my 3 babies at home. Make sure you have a good and experienced midwife and it will be much preferred over hospital. Not sure about the water, I was happy in my own bed.

1 Like

How can it be that midwifes are not insured!! Sometimes I am completely flabbergasted about US healthcare. Also I am sorry to read that, as it is of such importance to have good healthcare!

1 Like

I don’t care even if your family member is a nurse in labor and delivery for 40 years. Their are at risk of loosing their nursing license for not being within their scope of practice and something goes wrong. Why risk your child like that. Now yes you can choose to have a child naturally heck my cousin delivered in the car on the way to the hospital. You just can’t expect that your family
Member is equip to handle everything on their own.

I wish and pray for a safe delivery for you and the baby.

First thing, you probably should have thought about this before you only had 4 weeks left and started planning accordingly back then. Your bet bet is to get in touch with your doctor and ask them what you need to do and who you need to contact. Medicaid isn’t going to cover anything simply because they’re used to people having their babies in the hospital. If you’d planned on a natural water birth from the beginning you may have also thought to start saving up to pay for a midwife, a doula, and people that do home births for a living. I hope you figure it out and have a safe birth and healthy baby.

No no no, I would have died even if I delivered in a small hospital. At 21 dead and a child with no mother!! Horrible idea!!

I’m a midwife in Nevada and have attended in pahrump and logandale as well as sandy valley. Where are you located? Message me.

1 Like