I am worried my step-daughter is eating too much: Advice?

I have a “health” type of question I’d like an opinion on. My stepdaughter is seven years old and eats NON STOP. And my husband lets her. For instance, we decided to get a taco 12 pack on Tuesday for a just for fun meal… she ate 7 of the 12 tacos and was still saying she’s starving. Last week, we ordered pizza, and she ate ten full-size slices. My husband will continue to feed her and feed her and feed her. And in the last month, she has gained significant weight. I’ve tried to talk to him about teaching her to drink some water while she eats, so she’s not quite as hungry, and she gets hydrated, and he says that she’s just hungry. It’s gotten to the point where it makes me nauseous to be around her when she eats because she just won’t stop. I have told my husband she needs to go to a doctor, he disagrees. When she hits puberty, I know that she is going to blow up like a balloon if she doesn’t learn to control herself. Am I crazy? Please be nice in your responses. I’m genuinely worried, and my husband is making me sound like I’m just a jerk. Thanks.

91 Likes

Kids eat their feelings. That’s not normal eating, you need to take her to a doctor. If he keeps saying no ask him what he’s so afraid of.

2 Likes

Definitely not normal behavior. Something is going on.

2 Likes

She’s missing something she needs emotionally.

3 Likes

She could be diabetic or something I would get her checked out

5 Likes

Maybe she isnt absorbing the nutrients from her food so is constantly hungry.

2 Likes

Place her in some yoga , gymnastics class. My elder ones appetite never seems to stop…I followed this technique. Any physical exercise would make her fall in shape.

I was a starving kid too, My grandmother made similar comments…and I have had a very unhealthy view on food since. I will either binge or not eat at all…I am now 48 I was around 11 12 yrs old when this happened… Please be careful with your words and facial expressions.

I would definitely have her checked by a doctor. It could be nothing - a growth spurt coming - but I have heard that some people never feel full and always feel hungry (I’m not sure what it’s called).

My son was like that at that age and would eat until he vomited. I ended up just saying no after seconds. And he was only allowed to have fruit or raw vegetables if he was still starving

You need to take her to a doctor. She could have an illness.

2 Likes

Not normal in the least even if she has super high metabolism. All 3 of you need to see the dr

2 Likes

Try collidial silver for parasites mabie

2 Likes

Stop getting her fast food. That’s abusive behaviour.

3 Likes

If she doesn’t get to a doctor, you are negligent parents.

Could be ovaries v’s insulin, causes permanent hunger, one pill can fix it.

2 Likes

I would take her to the doctor and check for parasites

she might be diabetic. This may be a medical problem.

3 Likes

I had a really skinny friend who ate like that ,it was excessive but she told me she had 2 stomachs​:thinking: idk if that’s true or even possible but I’m just throwing it in there , other than that its an obvious problem and NOT normal at all!! I can eat 3 tacos at most and maybe 2 slices of pizza so that sounds very dangerous to me . Hope it all works out for y’all though :pray:

Sounds either emotional or hormonal or both

Hyper thyroid does that too. Makes you hungry non stop. Head to the doctor just to check. If they say it’s not that then head in a different direction

That is not normal! She needs a complete work-up ASAP. Not doing it may be considered child endangerment.

My daughter had to go to healthy ways clinic at children’s hospital. No, thats not normal eating. If he doesn’t want her to go to the doctor, do some simple things like only out a certain amount on her plate and then only allow vegetables as something she can have seconds on. Have her only drink water with meals. Have her take a bite then put the fork/spoon down until she has finished chewing and swallowed. Don’t allow tv/phones/tablets on during meals. We also do a take turns to talk about our day, which had helped in multiple ways. It had her start eatinf, then put the spoon down to tell us about her day which helps her vent and express herself and get us caught up on any activitiesgpoing on, when she talks a bit it allows her stomach to tell her head she is getting full. Then she finishes eating while another member talks… and when we all finish, she sees the rest of us are done, not getting any seconds, so she quits eating as well. Lastly, her increase in eating could be a fluctuation with hormones, saying its getting close to that time of the month. Perhaps, keep a chart to keep track to see if there is a pattern.

I would definitely be going to the Doctor. Explain her eating and let the professionals figure it out. If I could I’d give you a hug. This has to be hard for you as her stepmother.

I agree with your husband about you sounding like a “jerk”!! ESPECIALLY when you say it makes you nauseous to be around her when she eats. You make it obvious she is your STEP CHILD. If it were your ACTUAL child, there would be NOTHING about them that would make you sick. :rage::rage:

12 Likes

Definitely have her seen by a doctor; there are physical and emotional reasons for insatiable hunger.

3 Likes

When is her annual check up? See if you can persuade him to take her in that way?
Kids do have growth spurts where the need to eat more, but this sounds excessive.

Even kids use food as comfort. If there isn’t anything medical wrong it could be she is eating for comfort. Maybe something bothering her like anxiety. Maybe she is getting bullied.

4 Likes

I did that before I was diagnosed with diabetes. Would eat and felt starved right after. It was as if I hadn’t had anything to eat. Best to rule out
everything for piece of mind.

4 Likes

Alot of my weight gain started at that age after parents divorce . Not only is it extremely unhealthy you are right to be concerned and I’m glad that you are because it sounds like you give a crap. She could have numerous things going on from a simple growth spurt to diabetes to emotionally eating. Get her in asap.

Doctor doctor doctor!! If it persists as she ages she’s in for health problems and you a high grocery bill lol. In all seriousness she should see a doctor before it really gets out of control. There’s obviously more to every story but that’s really for a professional to know and find help for. Good luck

She can have a sensory disorder, so yes, she need to as a pediatrician

Could be something as simple as worms. Give her a dose of worming tablets and see what happens. If that doesnt help…doctors for sure!

STOP BUYING FAST FOOD.
Start cooking at home healthy meals. Cut out junk food, have more healthy snacks. Load up on fruits and other healthier snacks.
It starts at home with what you have to eat. Change her diet slowly so her, or hubby hardly notice.
Stepmomma YOU GOT THIS.
Be patient, they both will come around.

7 Likes

Ok definitely all that pizza and tacos is not normal there’s obviously something wrong! My son Started eating a lot more at age 7 not as much as your girl though but I did take him in and the dr got concerned he put on a good amount of weight in the last couple of years but I do know it had a lot to do with eating pizza I do how ever have him in soccer and honestly is so hard a to keep him away from pizza or chips cause I’m not always around him plus he’s such a picky eater the only vegetable he eats is carrots and is selective in his fruit so it’s hard

Sounds like an eating disorder. She needs to be seen by a doctor.

1 Like

The OP says be nice, but her tone of disgust (saying she gets nauseous to even be around a SEVEN YEAR OLD while she eats) is what isn’t nice. If coming out of true concern, then rather than criticizing this child, she should encourage a visit to a pediatrician and possibly even a counselor or therapist. There are are potential medical reasons for the hunger. It could be any of the things mentioned here or it could be some other condition such as Prader Willi. It also could be a psychological issue. We dont know if this child has experienced some sort of trauma (sexual abuse, for example) for which eating is her way of coping. Acting disgusted or put off by her eating could make it worse, particularly if it is the only way the child knows how to cope with a trauma. Seek every Avenue of help available. In the meantime, please dont make her feel bad for eating. It isn’t her fault.

1 Like

I would take her to her Dr. I would also change out food for water. Good luck. I’ll be praying for all of you.:purple_heart:

2 Likes

It could be a thyroid problem, could be growth spurt, could be millions of things I would take her in to get some blood work done, just to make sure

2 Likes

Now is the time to give her healthy eating habits. There needs to be limits on how much she can eat. Maybe you set rules down around food. Say 3 or 4 pieces of pizza. If she is still hungry, she can have some carrots or an apple

6 Likes

Some of the comments in here are abusive to this mother. I would be worried about it being something physical and perhaps seeing a doctor is in order. It is a known fact, however, that’s some fast foods because of their negligible good nutrients, are not very filling for some people. It is difficult oh, and I do not think you sound like a jerk. I think you are concerned and and that makes it obvious that you do care. You got this. Good luck!

3 Likes

That sounds like Prader Willi Syndrome. Get her tested for it. A key feature of Prader-Willi syndrome is a constant sense of hunger that usually begins at about 2 years of age. People with Prader-Willi syndrome want to eat constantly because they never feel full (hyperphagia), and they usually have trouble controlling their weight.

5 Likes

She’s growing… That’s what kids do… Wait till shes a teen… It gets worse… But if you are that concerned take her to the doctor…

2 Likes

This was me in the 80s and they NEVER TOOK ME TO THE DOCTOR and it was a thyroid disorder and now I’m suffering with my weight. PLEASE TAKE HER TO THE DOCTOR before she suffers like I have my entire LIFE! Please!

It’s not normal, I think you should really get her to the doctor. I would explain type 2 diabetes, and the problems she will have later on in life. Even possibly causing emotional distress later.

2 Likes

You are right to be concerned. Somethings up. Over eating like this is a sign of things and is rarely a “starving” issue. I would start with a doctor just to be safe. But a therapist might me needed. Possibly a nutritionist.

4 Likes

YOU ARE DEFINITELY NOT WRONG!! They both need help

1 Like

Please dont be offended by the rude remarks. There is a level of people on social media that just live to kick a person when there are down. Scroll on by. They are nothing in your world. Good luck!!

4 Likes

It could be any number of things:
MEDICALLY, it could be the thyroid, diabetes, to whatever you could imagine.
MENTALLY, it could be bulimia, being bullied, being LGBTQ, stress, anxiety, or depression.
She does need to see a physician first to rule out medical issues. Then (if needed) a counselor & psychiatrist.
But most of all her mind is still growing, this is were body positivity & not body shaming should be introduced! I found my daughter a book that talks about body positivity & just the body in general. This may be a good idea for you to find her.
Eating right is another important thing to bring onto the house. I know it may be difficult thing to do, especially if you are working. Children learn by example.
Just my opinion, I wish you the best.

Great suggestion to have her see the doctor. There’s definitely something going on. Try to incorporate fresh fruit and veggies into her diet. I would definitely keep her away from fast foods. Hope all goes well.

2 Likes

A typical 7 yr old should be consuming 1500-1800 calories a day and should weigh about 48-50 pounds. Before jumping to conclusions and self diagnosing, I would suggest making a daily meal plan that includes 3-5 small meals and 2-3 snacks per day that incorporates daily physical activities and water. If she’s not eating during the day and over eating at dinner, it could be a simple schedule change that will solve the issue.

2 Likes

My daughter lost her dad at the age of 4,started having abandonment issues at age of 9,sadly she was trying to fill a void in her life, by eating. Took her to see a counselor, didn’t help. Shes now 21 n still eating like that.

My son started eating like that at 8-9 years old til he was 13, I took him to the doctor, gave him worm tablets, tried everything n nothing worked, he gained a lot of weight n at 11 had a 40" chest! He did alot of swimming n skateboarding n walked everywhere too. He hit 13 then his appetite went back to normal n he’s skinny as a rake n over 6’ tall now. Sometimes its just a growth spurt but if you’re worried see a doctor.

My 7 year old eats a lot but I cook things that really filling so he gets less but feels like he ate more. fast food is designed to only make you full for a while and then be hungry again later. I make things like rice and gravy or mashed potatoes as a side and let my boys have snacks as soon as they get home. Peanut butter crackers are good fillers. You could be close to a growth spurt. Before you decide to put her through doctors and the spot light on it I’d try more fillings but healthier foods.

Should really take her to see a doc.

1 Like

She’s emotionally eating. Please help her now. There is help . Please don’t let her become an over eater . Make some food changes and share time with her to find out what the issue is . Love to both mom and childGet dad involved too. It does matter

5 Likes

Anybody that’s filling up on carbs is going to be hungry a lot. Cut out junk food and most carbs maybe. Good luck.

2 Likes

Keep her busy doing things she’s interested in. Only keep healthy snacks in the house.

It could be that she has worms. Take her to the Dr. already, don’t wait for your Husband to act.

1 Like

Here is something simple to check and show your husband so maybe he will listen and take her to the dr. Look at the back of her neck does it look dirty or cracked? Underarms look dirty or alot darker than the rest o ffc her skin? That’s an early warning sign of diabetes.

Maybe instead of tacos and pizza try chicken broccoli and rice.

6 Likes

A doctor visit is needed soon!! Have them check her thyroid. Yes, she’s growing but eating like that is not normal. There could be a few different reasons as to why she feels hungry.

Trust me, something is not right in her mind… i have some episodes like that when i can’t stop eating and i keep doing it because I’m starving even when i ate everything around me, starvingto death… it’s annoying. … a professional doctor call that depression and anxiety… i don’t want to take pills because i know my issues and why I’m worried about, but she is a little girl and she needs support… even when our lives looks perfectly fine this kind of activities are not normal… if her father doesn’t want to realize that his own daughter is having some kind of disorders that’s mean he needs professional support too … right now you are the only one stable enough to notice that something is not right… you love them both and i know you respect them, try to find a way to communicate with your husband so both of you can be available to help this little beautiful soul…

Sounds like anxiety…

I don’t know if you have contact with her mother, but if her father won’t help reach out to her mother. That’s not normal. She should be seen by a doctor. If she has a physical coming up you could try going along and bringing it up. You’re in a tough spot. If you can’t get anyone to help her then you could call CPS. If she has a disease as some has said on here it could be life threatening. Like diabetes.

she could have worms

You are in the right. Help is needed.

Could be a growth spurt but also maybe worms x

She’s a growing girl. I ate alot too but by puberty I normalized

1 Like

She may need help, but as her stepmother, you need to tread carefully. You don’t need to say anything in front of her. If her mother is involved, a discussion with her might help. A wellness check up with her doctor would be a positive step, but say nothing about weight to her. This is a very sensitive subject for girls.

Mayb she growing :woman_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Try talking to her and set healthy examples

You’re not a jerk if you’re concerned about her health. It’s not normal even at that age and going through growing pains to eat that much. It does happen though. Still she should see a doctor. Could be nothing or something. Slowly add healthy food and snacks to your grocery shopping and slowly incorporate healthy food instead of junk. All sorts of ways to sneak stuff in. Fruit smoothie that tastes like a shake. You can add chia seeds and flax seeds to her diet as well. Baby steps. Call a doctor on your own, get an opinion. Good luck :+1:

If it was worms she wouldn’t be gaining weight. She would be losing it. But she may need to still see a dr its something psychological.

My niece ate like that too. Could be a combination of growing and metabolism. Better safe than sorry :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

What does the doctor say? Are you being active with her? I hope she does develop self esteem issues because of your behavior.

This actually sounds so similar to my daughter, have you talked to her MD. Turns out my baby girl was diagnosed a type 1 diabetic. I pray that is not the case, but maybe it should be looked into.

I have a son who is a teenager and eats me out of house and home so I buy bottled water he loves it picks one up all the time buy fruit strawberries bananas grapes yogurts cheese sticks make fruit salad she can eat that when she says she wants something more to eat when you have pizza serve with carrots and celery 2 slices of pizza and all the carrots and celery she wants apples with peanut butter is good I also buy frozen fruit smoothie put it in a blender with yougart she may like eating so feed her good stuff keep her active be active with her yoga bike riding walk trails you’ll find out it feels great to and it may take her mind off of eating! Good luck!

Maybe she is being bullied at school

Kids tend to eat alot more when being bullied or if they are not able to eat their lunch the same things was happening to my youngest son and so i went to the school and found out that he was being bullied and the kids was taking his lunch .

My oldest used to be like this. It was a emotional response. As soon as the turmoil left his life he balanced out.
Talk to a doctor and if there is nothing physical/medical seek consoling.
We started setting the examples too, my hubby making sure he took him on walks etc.
She needs support from all aspects not just you.

Sounds like a medical problem you should get her to the doctor for some blood work

1 Like

Shes using food for comfort, she needs to be seen by a Dr.

Personally I think your husband is the jerk for not caring more about her physical health! That’s more food then my grown husband and teenage son eat! That’s totally not healthy!

20 Likes

Is she overweight? I was one of those kids that could eat and eat and eat. Nothing wrong with me. I did a lot of exercise though. Certainly wasn’t overweight either.
Don’t forget she’s growing.
But it’s also not an excuse to over eat either.
If she’s overweight you have an issue and it might be time to see a doc. Otherwise, she’s probably just hungry :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Have her thyroid checked . Also she may grow out of eating like that tread lightly on this

3 Likes

Make her eat healthy things. If she’s really hungry she will eat the carrots or whatever.

15 Likes

Yes get some bloodwork done, could be an insulin problem, metformin helps with. Maybe not, doesnt hurt to check

1 Like

Absolutely do something. I was a similar child and I WISH my parents would have enforced the importance of proper nutrition and portion control. I had to figure it out as an adult. It’s better to prevent the health issues now than have to fix them all after the damage is done.

16 Likes

Has she been tested to see if she is diabetic? My son did the same thing, and that was the first thing they checked for.

1 Like

Maybe if you are able to slow her down. Give her a chance to feel full. She definitely should be checked out. Give her more appropriate portions and if she is still hungry give her some fruits or vegetables.

1 Like

Yeah no she needs to be seen. There are medical issues that can cause someone to never feel full.

2 Likes

I’m not being funny or rude here when I say this but do you have animals she could have worms ??

2 Likes

Awww! I would kindly just encourage water intake. Google benefits of water and why its so important to drink plenty and read them to her. In the meantime keep talking to hubby. Can you talk to MOM?

You’re not crazy. Have her drink a tall glass of water before eating and pause for 10 minutes every 10 of eating. I’d want a doctor’s opinion too.

1 Like

Eating disorders come in all forms. I was reading labels and starving myself at 6… id definitely get professional help/advice.

2 Likes

I’d start maybe weighing her and then at the end of the month show him. Or look up different child obesity articles for him to read. In the meantime can you start nightly walks or exercises with her? Sad ur husband doesn’t care enough to see the issue that’s coming.

1 Like

Encourage you to seek doctor opinion.

I’d be worried too.
But yes. Get blood work done…
And tread lightly. Like other people have said.

My daughter can eat and eat and eat and is always hungry and she is never deprived, she is very thin. She is on a gluten free diet so I’m trying to find healthy fats, fiber, and protein to make her feel full.

If all is well and y’all coparent great with bio mom, reach out to her and ask her if she’s noticing the same thing, voice concerns to bio mom maybe VERY RESPECTFULLY -this topic could go south quick. But bio mom could be experiencing same thing and might need you to confirm the same observations, and if you do, maybe bio mom will make an effort to concern the doctors. Just a thought

6 Likes