I cannot cope with this anymore

I have had problems with my in laws for years. So many mean comments on the sly by my mother in law which I always just brushed aside to keep the peace. Recently her comments were too mean and I had to calmly state that she hurt my feelings. Next day she enters my home unannounced and starts verbally abusing me and even went to throw something at me (in front of my small child and husband). We went over to 'hash things out'. She came up with excuse after excuse and called me a liar an that i was imagining things.It was truly a terrible situation which I cannot seem to heal from. My husband is now saying lets move on but I am not sure if I can handle a life of this bullying an now abuse (especially if there are always convenient excuses that give her a get out of jail free card). What can I do? I am even considering leaving my husband despite loving him because I cannot cope with this treatment anymore. And cutting them out of my life isn't possible.
187 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I cannot cope with this anymore - Mamas Uncut

This is crazy and extremely toxic for you and your children. If your husband can’t get his mother in line and protect you like he should then I’d get rid of the whole family. No one deserves to be treated this way and you can’t just “move on” of the situation isn’t handled. That’s just sweeping it under the rug hoping the dirt doesn’t come back out. Which it will!

18 Likes

You’re husband needs to check her,honestly if he doesn’t that warrants divorce imo

7 Likes

U need to come back at her. It will be a shock to her system but she will get over it. The abuse will continue as long as u allow it. Ur not a door mat

7 Likes

Your spouse needs to step up and calm mommy dearest down.

5 Likes

Stand up for yourself, no way would I allow a witch like that to drive me away from my husband, that’s letting her win!

4 Likes

If he won’t choose you over her in this situation or make his mother stop then I’d leave. I had to make my husband do it before. He chose to marry you. You are the one he wants to spend the rest of his life with. Not his mommy.

3 Likes

He didn’t really defend you so he doesn’t deserve you tbh :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Your husband should absolutely be defending you.

2 Likes

If your husband can’t back you I would leave. If she put her hands on you or throws stuff at u call the cops. Tell your husband she is not aloud over anymore.

16 Likes

Bounce abuse is abuse doesn’t matter from we’re it comes from…it’s hard to have a inlaw like that.it hard on the relationship…I had a toxic mother in law and we moved on but the abuse never stops no matter what you do it’s not you it’s them…love does not mean free to be abused by no one…

2 Likes

Disengage with that part of the family. And your husband needs to step up and speak up. I rarely interact with my in laws and that side of his family, they are toxic and I dont want it around. It took me a long time to get here but the mess and stress is not worth it. I wouldnt leave my husband, but then again he stands up to them as well, which is something your husband needs to do. I mean he was there when she threw something at you!

2 Likes

Stand up for yourself… and don’t be calm about it. That’s narcissistic behavior… lashing out and being abusive to you and turning it around with excuses and making it your fault.

Tell your husband that you’re happy to move on from it, but she’s no longer welcome at your home. If he wants to visit with his family, he can go to their house.

Although, it sounds like you have bigger issues. If she is acting this way towards you and your husband is allowing it, he’s no better than she is. I understand it’s his mother, but when he married you and had children with you, he was to make HIS family his priority. One way or another, you need to defend yourself.

2 Likes

Lock your doors and not let her just walk in. Do not invite them for a meal as you do not deserve the way she treats you. If she does not stop, don’t let her see the kids. That’s harsh but they should not hear her mistreat you .

2 Likes

Your problem is your husband. He’s been around his mother all of his life and he’s used to her being who she is. He never had to protect any one else from her. I would give him a chance to move my family away from the abuse or I would leave him with her. You need to move far enough away from her that she would never come unannounced. That’s why it’s called “you’re home”. If you can’t be safe there it’s not you’re home.

14 Likes

Not even the mother in law or father in-law protect what your kids see and learn from and right now thier learning that’s okay to treat you the same and she will teach them. Or your in law will might hurt your children just because she don’t like you…been thier done that…

Every time she starts, get your coat and keys. Tell her that you will NOT be bullied. Every time !! Eventually she will stop.

4 Likes

Number 1 Shame on your husband!! If his mom is verbally and physically abusive he should cut her out.
But I tell you 1 thing…the next time she walks into my house assaulting me she’d get some new bracelets and a PPO against her.

11 Likes

My ex husband had family like that. I left. It was the best thing I ever did.

1 Like

I would tell him straight up that she is not allowed over.

2 Likes

This is hard because I went through it. My mother in law is a narcissist. You will live your life like that if you don’t get out. I’m sorry to say it but it’s true. Your husband isn’t defending you either, which is exactly what happened to me. I left. Life is so much better for my daughter and myself. In my situation it was a family of narcissists . I think he was a covert narcissist. There were sisters too. It was terrible! I tried for years to live in the same state and just cut them out. It never stuck. I had to leave the state with my toddler. Our lives are amazing now. This is a big one so think deeply about it and talk to a therapist. Narcissist can’t be helped. I’m not a therapist but by the behavior of your mother in law and this moment you described, she’s one .

5 Likes

Hmmmm, I can’t help but feel there’s more to the story

1 Like

You need to tell your husband. There is no way I would have let my mother treat my wife like that and I was a momma’s boy. Your husband chose you and his responsibility is to you and your happiness.

You need to be honest with him.

4 Likes

Your husband needs to deal with her and tell her to stop the nonsense

4 Likes

I lived like that for 20 years. Finally left and it’s wonderful not having to deal with it anymore. Hardest thing I’ve ever done.

1 Like

This is something I do believe you need to speak with your husband about. And hold firm. Your feelings are valid and you deserve to be heard and defended. If he’s not willing to stand up for you, he’s proving to not be a partner. But give him the chance after you lay it all out there to show who he’s going to be for you.

If you do stick around and your kids are around for the turmoil, obviously do your best to protect them from it. But always allow them around when you are resolving situations and standing up for yourself. Someone above mentioned, when it starts, just get up and leave with your kids. And say by, I will not be bullied nor allow bullying around my children. Because your kids pick up on everything. And if they see momma standing up for herself, they will be more inclined to do so themselves in the future if there’s an instance with a bully.

4 Likes

Remove her from ur life and if ur husband truly loves u he will take ur side!!!

You and your husband need to set boundaries. She also might have some health issues. So consider that. Her behavior is not normal. I would not trust her around the kids either. Do not let her turn your life upside down. Never leave your husband over this!!! You need to document as she is out of control. Your instincts are to be trusted.

2 Likes

Stay for a bit and Record her abuse. Record every horrible hurtful thing, save it where no one can find it. Record your husband saying it’s permissable that she treat you like that, put up cameras in your home if she makes a habit of coming over. Start saving money somewhere. Not in a bank. Remember all assets get split in divorce. Prepare for an ugly split. Anything you can’t bear to lose put in a storage unit or with a close friend or family member. When you’re dealing with custody you’ll be grateful for the proof of abuse. Get out. It will ruin your marriage and life. Coming from someone who dealt with it and left. Men should stand up for their wives. To get biblical for a sec, woman came from man’s rib… out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved.

You married him not her you don’t have to interact with her but ultimately it has to be your choice what actions to take

3 Likes

Is that how you feel about me

If your husband won’t defend you then you really have no other choice but to leave. Staying in this situation is going to kill you inside.

Why can you not cut them out completely? Your husband should stand up for you to ANYONE… Including his mother!! If he doesn’t, then let them ALL go!!

4 Likes

I’ve been there with in laws who still try this-it took them taking my husband and I to court for grandparents right for my husband to see how they really are. I had to tell him it was his family or his parents. We haven’t talked to them in 2 years and they still continue to harass us,show up at our house, give our information away to family(address). It will never end-put your foot down now or you’ll continue to live in misery. It’s awful

Your husband should be standing up for you.

4 Likes

Get a restraining order against her and if your husband doesn’t like it he can go live with her! This is abuse and her throwing something at you is considered assault with a weapon!

2 Likes

I hate to say this, but my husband wouldn’t tolerate anyone talking to me like that. Not even my own kin. Your husband is putting his head in the sand and letting you take the blows. You need to tell him to deal with HIS mother before you are willing to move on. If that’s not a compromise I would tell him she is no longer welcome in my house while I’m home or when my child’s home. Her violent outburst was enough for you and you’re done. If he refuses to stand with you on this, move on. He can see his mommy on his own time. However if I was in your position. That women wouldn’t be welcome around me or mine. Point blank.

5 Likes

Your guys needs to set boundaries with her. Be brutally honest and mean right back at her and let her know if she’s going to keep treating you like that she has no right to be in you and your families life. Your husband needs to man up and put his mother in her place. He should not be allowing her to disrespect you like that, especially in front of your children. I personally would cut her off and say she’s not allowed at my house or near me and my child unless she can show respect and decency. If he wants to go over his mothers and visit her that’s on him. But there’s no reason for her to be coming to your house and treating you like that. That is your home. You have say over who can come in it and how people treat you there.

Move on, but without the mil. I decided last February that I was done with his family. He takes our son to their gatherings, I stay home and get a little time to myself. It’s been such a weight off my shoulders not having to deal with them. You wouldn’t keep a toxic relationship with a friend or acquaintance, this is no different. It’s your right to decide who you give your time and energy to. I blocked his family, they know not to call me. It’s been great. He can deal with her, in no way are you bound to do it too. And for the record, I didn’t need or require him to defend me. I’m an adult, I make my own decisions. I defend and set my boundaries myself. He knows this. He asks every time, you sure you don’t want to go? I say nope, and we leave it at that.

You can cut her out of your life completely. Tell her and your husband she is not welcome at your home and you will not be going over there and you will not speak to her on the phone or on social media. If he wants to see her he can go to her or meet somewhere.

1 Like

Set boundaries if she and your husband can’t agree or follow them time to cut ties with both
That is not a healthy environment for you or your kids if your husband wants to live like that then he can live like that alone

1 Like

Your husband is the one that needs to step up and put firm boundaries in place. If she can’t treat you respectfully, then she has no place in your life. A husband / wife should always put their spouse first.

I have dealt with this from my FIL and 3 years later he’s mentioned or brought up I state my boundaries and make it firm it’s to protect me and mine from him he’s a narcissistic raging alcoholic who can stay far away from me and mine I can’t stand being in the same state as him I don’t sugarcoat it when it comes to that man I will not allow him to verbally abuse me anymore I will not allow him disturb my peace don’t be scared to set and stand on your boundaries keep firm

The hubs is partially right. He said to move on. That’s what you should do. Move on without the in-laws!!!

You need to sit your husband down and explain how you feel and tell him if he doesn’t start to have your back your guna leave, yiu shouldn’t have to put up with that in your home and your child should not be seeing that either

1 Like

You take your children and leave. Your husband is abusing you by letting his mother do it. Good luck and im sorry you’re going through this.

2 Likes

Have,the,mad,cow locked up. Such disrespect

2 Likes

Your husband needs to tell his mom either she backs off or she’s not allowed around yal anymore, period. He she be standing by you.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t go over anymore. Tell your husband that he can go over but you and the kids (if there is kids) won’t be having anymore communication with them until she can grow up and apologize! The kids (if there is any) don’t need to hear the things she is saying and you definitely don’t have to put up with it.

A man willing to let you be abused does not love you. Move on before it gets worse.

3 Likes

She sounds mental. Get a restraining order, record (video, voice, paper w/date & time) all abusive behavior. She will ultimately try to turn your husband and child(ren) on you if she’s as bad as you say. I wouldn’t want my child around that kind of dysfunction. If your husband can’t get on board, he probably needs therapy too. Make a plan A, B, etc in case you have to move quickly.

I would crown her ascap, DONT PLAY WITH ME.

1 Like

I’m on the outs with my in-laws. So hard when you love them and just want healthy relationships

If your husband doesn’t stand up for you, you need to leave him! And you should’ve charged her with assault when she threw something at you and next time she’ll think about it before she does it again because she’ll know you’re not going to put up with her doing that to you!

5 Likes

Limit time and Amy of visits stay close to husband. Say little or nothing. Let her initiate her touch don’t give your opinion. She’s not worth ruining your marriage.
If you have to change the locks. Carefully tell husband ahead of time
He should be aware. But it’s his mom and o

My husband was always in denial and looked the other way. I spent many years being verbally jabbed at and insulted. He never saw it. She was mean and nasty before the wedding. , he said to me “Mom says you better get those invitations out”. My response was “tell Mom they may not be going out” He came over and cried, etc. and I let it go. I shouldn’t have, I should have held up the wedding and sent him to his psychiatrist. Or just cancelled the whole thing. I’m left as an old woman, scarred, never appreciated, never good enough.

2 Likes

Grow a set of balls if you can’t deal with it walk away

Well I’m married but sadly my MIL passed away long before I even met my husband so Idk. but …
Cut her off 100%. Simple as that.
Personally
If this was my husband family and even though I can and will defend myself real quick, I would 100% expect my husband to handle that nonsense immediately. Just the same way I would defend him against everything and everyone cuz we’re a team. Disrespect him you’re disrespecting me and I’m not having that nonsense.
Sooo on that note if my husband didn’t defend me I would already start looking at him different, I would think about leaving too honestly lol cuz he can’t even have my back in something so simple? Like where’s his loyalty at? Apparently not with me….

5 Likes

You need space. Your husband needs to support you. He needs to tell her she needs to keep her distance for a while and set boundaries. No more stopping by.

1 Like

My family would NOT be around her anymore… &I’ll be damn if I’m with someone &they let ANYONE treat me that way

Talk to your husband. My mom tried that with my husband and I told her “Knock it off or don’t come around” :woman_shrugging:
It’s not about choosing a side, it’s about respecting your marriage. If he isn’t willing to atand with you, maybe it’s time you stand alone.
Personally, I’d start recording her. Recorders are still available. After a couple of interactions, I’d wait for a family got together and play it for everybody as I leave. Sometimes people need to be slapped with their behavior, in public.

3 Likes

Can I ask why can’t you cut them out?

Record her. It will only take 1 time.

4 Likes

My husband would never allow anyone to treat me like that… And I would not tolerate any unfair treatment from anyone towards him either… We are a team and have each other’s backs. I think your husband needs to step up and stand up for you…

9 Likes

If he won’t stand up to her I would leave.

6 Likes

He should be willing to cut her out. No man that loves you would ever allow you to be treated that way. You and hubby need to sit down and you need to tell him he needs to either stand with you and cut her out or he can go live with her and you’re leaving. That is not healthy

Have a Nanny cam tht way next time if she comes unannounced u will have proof

1 Like

Grown woman should be ashamed of herself. Shows no respect or class. She’s on some type of power trip. If it was me, I’d attempt one time to tell her straight out how I feel. And if she became aggressive in my house #1 I would ask / tell her to leave. Her behavior is inappropriate. When she can behave in a civil adult manner then maybe she can come back. The choice is yours. However, family or not, you’re not coming to my house assaulting me and think I’m just gonna sit and take it. Either you behave accordingly or ,

#2, I will have you served with a No trespass order-by my Police Department and have you physically arrested next time you come to my peaceful home with your drama bullshit! Not happening!! Don’t let her do that to you. You are the queen in your castle!!

Girl you got a voice use it. Some times you go to put those big girl pants on.

Better than me. I would have told her off

Cutting her out of your life might be necessary. Some boundaries and not going to places she will be if she treats you poorly

I am so sorry for women who deal with this situation. I myself have a great mother in law. She has always been there for us and helped in any way. I am blessed with the best. Best of luck in the future.

Start by getting an automatic locking door with key only option then he can’t give her the code. Second explain all this to your husband how it’s affecting you your mental health and say I can’t be around such toxic. I love you but I need to get away from it. It’s not ok. Are you coming with me.

1 Like

leave your husband he should be putting her in her place and protecting you.

4 Likes

I would avoid her. Any calls I would not answer I would not go around her and if she came over I would pack up the kids and go for a drive til she is gone.

We would’ve got into a fight, I would’ve dragged his mother my husband could’ve got a piece of the action too, I would’ve aired that mf out that day
Better leave or stop letting these people treat you any ol kinda way

7 Likes

Change the locks, keep door locked so she’ll gave to ask or knock. A knock without calling first can lead to not opening door. And tell your husband that something has got to give and its not going to be you.

She needs to be put in her place. You gotta tell(yell) let her know it’s your house and your rules and she doesn’t like it she’s not welcomed anymore. Simple as that

2 Likes

Nip it in the bud, every time tell her she’s being rude.

Your MIL is gaslighting you and your husband just wants to ignore it. I’d give your husband an ultimatum- he supports you and calls his mom out or she doesn’t get to see you or your kids ever again until she can learn some respect. No birthdays, no Christmas, no holidays. Nothing. Go full No Contact with your MIL. If your husband refuses either of those scenarios, then it’s Hello Divorce. You deserve so much better than a :cat: of a husband

11 Likes

Idk when yall women gonna open your eyes and realize that these so called husbands yall love so much are sitting around talking about you like a dog to his family, that’s why they treat yall how they do. They sitting up running you down then yall be on here “my in laws hate me” or “my mother in law talks about me”
You husband giving them the ok to do so, why else would they be so comfortable disrespecting you

19 Likes

Honey some time you have to beat the the shit out them ass holes in life thats all that get through to them so next time put her on her ass that will let the rest or the clan know you won’t take there crap a sounds like your man needs to grow a pair and stand up for u or go find one that will

Your husband should be handling this

3 Likes

My dear speaking from experience they never change and your husband will always choose to protect his abusive mother so it’s you to choose whose peace of mind and happiness is more important yours or hers because you will continue to put yourself on the chopping board for peace which is very wrong.

3 Likes

You’re a grown ass woman, never let someone talk down to you or throw something at you. Defend yourself or call the Police when threatened. As far as your Husband… if he didn’t stand up for you I’d 100% leave. You staying is only ensuring it will happen again and again.

If your husband allows this & is not by your side, it may be time to leave. BUT we are only hearing one side of the story. How do you treat her? I’m not accusing, just asking. If it is truly one sided, you need to get away from her.

3 Likes

I can’t believe he witnessed that in front of his child and wasn’t outraged. I don’t see it getting better, I mean, what would have to happen for him to step up?

9 Likes

It’s your husband you need to deal with. He should not be letting this happen.

11 Likes

If youre considering it over it. Leave. You deserve to feel safe in your own home

3 Likes

Im so over trash in laws

It is your husband’s responsibility it deal with HIS in laws. Tell him to set some boundaries!

4 Likes

Instal a camera in the room she comes into and yiu will have all your proof Don’t tell anyone that you installed it and see what happens with the comments in your house Be very careful what you say when she is there Well worth all the trouble to install it A video camera would do a good job too…°You shouldn’t be getting abuse from anyone

3 Likes

Get out! You do not have to put up with any of it. Love your self and move on with your life :two_hearts:. She is evil, . No excuse for what you are going through. No one deserves that treatment !

2 Likes

I’m with Kay. Do it.

It never stops… experience with 40 plus years. I stayed away and it is much healthier for me. She still says lots but I am not there to hear

I left my ex husband because he allowed comments and told me to just ignore them, and then his dad put his hands on me and my ex didn’t do or say anything. My fiancé now wouldn’t tolerate anyone doing that, stranger, friend, family he would have my back

2 Likes

Why is your husband allowing his mother to come into his home and treat you this way. I’d be more angry at him for not standing up for me!!!

6 Likes

Mine said I tried to Electrocute myself in the bathtub when I really was listening to the radio tried to talk shit to my friends my friends told me oh bunch of crazy shit peace out I’ll deal with that I told them to

Sounds like your husband needs to handle his family

2 Likes