I dislike my sons hyphenated last name: Can I change it?

My kids are, they use both names now they like having other names but my husband is Hispanic so is culture based

1 Like

Wiping the dad out of the sonā€™s name could cause a lot of tension and in turn, effect the relationship with your son. Your son has had the name for 4 years now. I would leave it. If he decided to change it or just use one name as he gets older, let that be his choice WHEN HE IS OLD ENOUGH!!! Donā€™t cause unwanted trouble over a choice you already made. Good luck!

1 Like

This is why you just change your name when you marryā€¦not hold onto your last name for whatever reason.

Why donā€™t you like it? You liked it enough to do it before, and the father is involved in his life. Do you just not like it or do you only not like it because you guys didnā€™t work out? Women like this ruin good dads :roll_eyes: your child is half him and if youā€™re looking for someone to justify this level of petty, Iā€™m not for it and no decent mother will be either.

7 Likes

If I have any more kids theyā€™ll be having my name or bare minimum hyphenated till their dad marrys mešŸ˜‚ no way am I growing the child in my womb and birthing it for it to be simply his namesake.

1 Like

He sounds like a good involved parent, donā€™t punish him just because youā€™re mad he didnt stay with you

4 Likes

Leave it alone. Let him decide when heā€™s older.

I have a hyphenated last name after being adopted. I only go by the last name of the side I still have contact with.

1 Like

If how father is involved in his life why world you even consider this. He needs to know he is apart of both his parents and just because he spends more time with your family is irrelevant since thatā€™s material considering he lived with you

When your child is older let him make this decision onwhat name he wants>

you sound so petty smfh

1 Like

Surely at 4 1/2 your son knows his full name how are you supposed to say oh I donā€™t like your dadā€™s name being apart of yours letā€™s just scrap itā€¦thatā€™s really offensive why are you dropping the dadā€™s name and not yours!! Sound petty to me he should have both names

You can change it.
Go to the court house and get the forms.
Itā€™s a little expensive.

My son is 18 now. He has had a hyphenated last name since birth. In school he would just go by my last name. I put mine 1st for this reason. But on his driverā€™s license and ID for work he uses both. Itā€™s his choice imo.

Leave it be. Your kid will choose what THEY want when they are older.
Dad is highly involved with his kidā€¦he deserves to have his name there just as much as you do.
Sounds like it only bothers you, or that you have a chip on your shoulder about something. Leave the name aloneā€¦its no longer your choice. The child is almost 5 yrs old. Without pressure from you, they will decide what he wants for himself when older. Itā€™s his choice now. You just have to get over it. Sorry.

You just sound bitter

2 Likes

I would leave it alone

My two oldest kids have a hyphenated last name. My oldest plans to drop the second name (his Dadā€™s surname) when heā€™s 18. My daughter wants to change her last name to Katz when sheā€™s 18 (sheā€™s 8 now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:). My son doesnā€™t like having two last names now as a teenager but didnā€™t seem to really care as a kid. In school he uses only the first part of his last name.

After I remarried & had been married for some time my children wanted to use my new husbands name. So we had them hyphenated. When their grandmother found out she quick speaking to them & cut them out of her will. Their biological father never paid support or had anything to do with the kids. But they loved their grandparents & saw them often. It was sad she was such a bitter woman!!

Since father is still in the childā€™s life you would have to have his permission too.

I was not married to my sonā€™s father and our relationship as a couple lasted only a few years after my son was born, although my son has been the tie we have to one another we have remained civilized through the years that followed our split. My son is now an adult with his own family. I chose to hyphenate his name at birth for a number of reasons related to family connections and legalities. I have never regretted it because he was able to share my name in school etc keeping him from being confused and having his dadā€™s last name as well was good for his relationship with that side of the family. When he turned 18, although I understood, it did hurt a little when he chose to drop my last name when he went to get his driverā€™s license and found out there were too many letters for both names to fit on the license. And although he did not do anything to legally change his name DMV told him he is able to legally use any combination of the two names as long as it is not for the purpose of illegally trying to defraud the government. Heredity speaking since sons are historically the way a family name is carried on I am OK with him using his dadā€™s name especially since he also has become a father to a boy baby, his family name will survive.

Leave it. His choice. Besides all that, why is it so important to you that only you are represented when his father is fully involved in his life? Hyphenated sounds like a perfect answer until heā€™s older and chooses one

1 Like

If the father is on the birth certificate, then in most cases you will need his consent.

This is a crazy thing to worry about. His father is involved in his life. Iā€™m sure your son loves his daddy and will appreciate having that connection. When he is older, he may drop one of the last names but that is his decision

And yet another shitty post by yet another shitty woman, lotta you out there :roll_eyes:

Lolā€¦ so because he sees your family more amd you diny like it hyphenated???

I have 5050 custody. Daughter has my last name. Sees her dads family a lot more as most are are local. My parents are local although my aunts, uncles and cousins and their children are not, so we see them at get togethersā€¦