I feel guilty for cutting my dad out of my life: Advice?

I cut my dad out of my life. It is really hard for me to do this and I was told I was making the wrong decision…but I’ve been feeling for a long time that its the right decision. Anyone who has done this…did you feel super guilty about it? Regardless of your reason for doing it…I think it’ll be healthier for me to live without him in my life, but I cannot help but feel horrible for doing it…

35 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. I feel guilty for cutting my dad out of my life: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

I cut my father out of my life about 5 years ago. You don’t owe ANYONE an explanation. If you feel like your life is less toxic without him then :fu:t2:anyone that says otherwise. The guilt will subside when you realize how much less stress is in your life. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had to do that with my mom. She told me if I didn’t talk to her than I wasn’t allowed to have any contact with my dad. My dad means the world to me and she knows what she is doing. But he is allowing her to do it. So in the end he is also making that choice.

2 Likes

You are responsible for your own well being. There is no explanation that you need to make. Peace of mind is priceless.

I’m currently going through this with my family it’s just toxic and for my sanity I had to decide what was more important if you have to ask for someone to constantly respect your boundaries or express to them a certain way you feel and they continue to do it then I think it’s worth cutting someone off family or not just because someone is family does not give them the right to treat you anyway

1 Like

Ultimately it’s your decision. If they treated you bad enough and you feel like that’s the best decision for you don’t let it bother you too much.

I only have relationships with my father and my oldest sister. I miss my two youngest siblings but they’re grown now and still choose not to know me so… That part hurts yes. My mom and my other two siblings… It sucks sometimes. Because we were once very close. But being in touch with them hurt a lot more than not being in touch with them. It’s never easy but some days are less difficult. If you need a friend I’m here for ya.

Your dad is your dad no matter what. You can cut him out of your life for whatever reason, but there will be an empty hole without him. It’s better to fix what’s broken, make sure you think on how your at fault as well.
I believe I’ve read something stating “honor thy mother and thy father”…
Just because he may have hurt your feelings, it sounds like cutting him off is hurting yours too. Fix what’s broken, and best wishes🙏

1 Like

Listen to your gut, and sleep some more. The trauma is real. Forgives is relevant but may take a long time. Just be still for a while

It’s been two years since i started really distancing myself and a year since I’ve seen or spoke to him. Not one ounce of me feels bad but all of me feels relief

2 Likes

I have cut family members out of my life including my own mother. I felt very guilty for a very long time but as time past I have excepted it for what it is. Life is to short to spend your time energy and tears on someone who is toxic to you. Most of my own family thinks I’m making the wrong choice and choose to take her side which is fine with me. I have also excepted that. Loving someone from a distance should be more excepted. She is my mother i do love her very much but I had to choose me my emotions my mental state and well being. To this day I feel I made the right choice.

3 Likes

I cut my mum out of my life. All the negativity growing up and dragging me down, the lies. I had kids and just had enough. I feel much more content in life. It’s been about 3-4 years. I had guilt at first but I know it was the right decision.

My dad passed and I would give anything to have hom back in my life I didn’t agree with his choices after my mum passed but I’m sure he didn’t agree with alot of my choices when I was younger but forgave me any ways and I have 4 kids who now have no grandparents so they will have no memories of them which is so sad

1 Like

I cut my father out of my life for several reasons. I never felt guilt over it because it was a very freeing thing for me to do. I can see how it could make someone else feel guilty though.

Toxic is toxic, regardless of who it is. You feel awful about it because you love him and it’s similar to mourning his loss. Truth is…you have to do what is best for your overall well-being. Protecting yourself and setting up boundaries is vital to your mental health and overall happiness. If you have to cut people off, do what you gotta do
I always say that I just have to love them from a distance and pray for them. God will sort it all out

1 Like

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18976 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://highincomejob634.pages.dev/

It will b hard for a while but then u do accept it and move on. He done wrong not u. U have to think of yourself and kids and if u know its the right then go with it. Theres only so much u can take. U will b fine x

Setting a boundary generally makes people feel guilty. I read a great book about it, “Boundaries” by Townshend and Cloud. I went through this too, with certain family and friends. You do feel bad, you do feel guilty but that goes away. You’ve done the right thing for YOU.

1 Like

I grew up without my dad well on and off from I can remeber and the same again as a teenager then I had the last 6 years getting to know him he passed away suddenly march this year I would do anything to be able to see and speak to him again :sob: he was only 58 and we lived 200 miles away from each other. Really think about it life is too short for petty falling out :sparkling_heart: (if that’s the case obviously)

I had to cut my family out
And it eats away at me everyday. But there’s a point you need to look out for yourself and your own family. I will always love them, I miss them. But I cannot allow the cycles of abuse continue. It has to end with me so I had to step away. And it hurts all the time,mostly because the lies that have been told about me and my family. But that’s just another example of why I had to make the decision I did.

It’s hard to cut out relatives but sometimes it’s needed. I cut my grandmother and my aunt out of my life about 11 years ago and my life has been sooooo much better. I don’t even waste negative thoughts on them anymore, they are just another toxic person I don’t have to interact with. It does get easier with time though.

1 Like

I had tocut my mom out it sucked at 1st but im happier

I’ve cut most of my toxic family out and loved the long term peace so much I’m getting ready to just estrange myself from them all. F them.

I have a rule -if someone makes me miserable I cut them out and stay away

1 Like

I cut my dad out of my life over a year ago. I felt guilty at first but it was the best choice for myself, husband and kids. Seek therapy to help with the guilty feelings. It has helped me a lot

1 Like

I cut my dad out of my life.
Not sorry at all.

I have recently done the same. It’s always been a very toxic/unhealthy relationship and I’ve suffered mentally for years due to the toxicity of our relationship. I’ve tried so hard for years but have just recently come to terms with the fact that no matter how hard I try, we will never have that ideal father-daughter relationship. But I feel guilty because of my children… we don’t have much family and by cutting my dad out that included cutting out others (my stepmom, sisters, other family, etc). I’ve always wanted that big, happy, healthy, family dynamic but I guess that is going to have to start with me. It sucks bc I feel like we have no one now, but in the long run I do believe it is what’s best.

1 Like

As someone who has done this to my family.
I don’t feel guilty because I don’t want or need any kind of toxic person in my life. I’m allergic to drama,lies and bull💩. Life is so much easier without them.

Don’t feel guilty cutting anyone out who doesn’t bring happiness and value to your life. Life is too short to worry about offending someone who makes you unhappy.

1 Like

My father wants asked me why I didn’t have him walk me down the aisle when I got married and I said to him you weren’t there for anything else in my life why would I want you there for that he learned a hard lesson that day

3 Likes

Me. It’s so hard and it’s been on and off for 15 years and I still feel incredibly guilty about it all the time. Every few years I try again to have a relationship, and every time I’m reminded of why it doesn’t work. I love him, but it’s really difficult for us to have a relationship.

1 Like

I did this with my dad but it’s hard on me now bc he passed away in March i have mixed emotions but still feel a lot of things

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 115 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I­’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $1965­8 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

More Inf0>>> https://SuccessFullyJob58.pages.dev

I’m sorry I could never cut my parents / step dad out of my life . I would never even think about that I lost my dad like 7 years ago and miss him so very much .

I guess it really depends on the situation because my kids cut their dad out of there life a long time ago and 4 years ago he decided he wanted to see the kids but still have no communication. With each other ( he was abusive pawned all there stuff when they were little and never paid the bills a really bad situation)

I’ve had to cut my daughter out of my life.she steals everything I own! My grandbabies are still in my life, but I told her she’s not welcome in my house! No regrets, I work hard for everything I have!

1 Like

It’s your decision an you must of had a really good reason for cutting your dad out of your life. Everything in life isn’t easy but sometimes it’s for the best. I’m sure he knows why. If you find it in your heart that you want to mend your choice that I am sure will be just as hard. I wish you the best.

It’s hard and it sucks. I still feel unease about it but you know what’s best for you. Give yourself some time to heal

2 Likes

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 145 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I­’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $1966­0 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

More Inf0>>> https://SuccessFullyJob14.pages.dev

The coward who’s sperm created me has been cut from my life mostly since I was 16 but completely for the last 7 years. He brought me down so much and made me feel so bad about myself. My life is so much better with out him and his side of the family. It’s their loss not mine.

I feel like we need more information to give you advice. Judging by this post, and what little we know, yes you’re horrible.

2 Likes

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 145 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I­’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $1956­0 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

More Inf0>>> https://SuccessFullyJob24.pages.dev

If you feel better without him in your life then it doesn’t matter what other people think . Look out for your own well being .

l G­e­t p­a­id over $ 145 per h0ur working f­r­o­m h­o­me. l ­n­ever ­th­o­ught ­I­’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $1950­0 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

More Inf0>>> https://SuccessFullyJob31.pages.dev

As horrible as the decision may be, you got to do what you have to do. The saying blood is thicker than water isn’t really true. I had to walk away from family members who are toxic. My son’s father, I have nothing to do with him. My own sister, I refuse to talk to. What is left of my uncles and aunts… kind of have to pick and choose. Now I don’t know what the reason is for you why you did this and quite frankly I do not want to know. Do not let anyone else tell you what you did was wrong. That might mean you have to say goodbye to them too no matter how much it hurts. Best of luck

l get paid over $ 185 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 19502 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarBenefits1269.pages.dev/

You don’t say why. There have to extenuating circumstances for you to make such a radical and permanent decision. Without more information, how is anyone supposed to help you out?

I limit my interactions with my dad because he chooses to drink.
Never feel guilty for protecting your own peace.

1 Like

l get paid over $ 195 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $ 18962 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.
Go to This. https://highincomejob698.pages.dev/

No, I didnt feel guilty… Sometimes it’s necessary! For your sanity & health

Me but it was my birth mother. I love her, but she’s toxic. We talk from time to time, but what she did I can’t forgive and forget. Some things are just unfixable and I would never, ever say to my girls what she said to me. Also happened to be on fb here to so I got witnesses to it.

The guilt never goes away, but the toxicity and stress do and that’s the confirmation you did the right thing.

1 Like

I did it. I loved him but didn’t need to be around him & I was tired of trying. He died may 17th this year & im fine. I loved him & prayed for him & I trust he found salvation before he died. Wasnt informed he was even sick & told via fb messenger after he died. They know why I wasn’t around. Buts that’s something you have to decide no one can do it for you.

1 Like

Without knowing why, it is impossible to say you’re doing the right thing.

I’m sure there were times when he wanted to cut you off.

It’s easy to blame the “other guy”. People rarely own his or her own part in problems.

Rarely is anyone totally blameless, totally innocent.

Usually it goes both ways, enough blame to around.

I wish you both well.

1 Like

l get paid over $120 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18786 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://AmazingOption26.pages.dev/

It depends on the reasoning behind it!

1 Like

your health and happiness is what is important here, he had is life and now it is your turn to have yours without feel guilty about it

1 Like