I had my tax return stolen: What can I do?

I was wondering if any mamas have ever dealt with getting their tax return stolen by someone claiming them without your permission. What happened? What did you do about it? What was the result? My ex-husband claimed me, signed for me and everything after we had been separated for a year. He didn’t have my w-2s, so he claimed my daughter and me as dependents. I tried to file and was told I had been claimed as a spouse. So he stole my social security number, my identity, and committed tax fraud. I reported it to the police, and filed a report, submitted everything to the irs. I want to know if there will be consequences to his actions. He abused me for years and continued to hurt me after I was long gone. Please give me hope that something will be done.

26 Likes

Yes what he committed was a felony and he can and more then likely will be charged for it. It could give him jail time for multiple counts. Make sure to keep things updated with the police and such

2 Likes

I think you’ll see the money and he will have to pay it all back.

2 Likes

Follow up with the IRS.You need to have legal separation papers.

4 Likes

Contact the IRS. He would’ve had to sign your name to a joint tax return, which is against the law. There is an innocent spouse provision which can provide relief.

5 Likes

Continue to follow up with he IRS. Everything you’ve done is about all you can do right now.

2 Likes

I think it will be a long process but he should definitely see reprouctions

3 Likes

Usually he has to pay it back. But if he provided for u for 6 or more months he can claim u

2 Likes

They will probably just take it out of his return next year honestly.

2 Likes

You have done everything you can for the moment. Keep on the IRS to make sure they do something about it. He literally committed a felony by forging your name.

5 Likes

Yes if you filed a proper paper tax with the irs and made sure to file then he will be punished. They will fine him and make him pay it all back might even face jail

2 Likes

file for divorce, sign his fucking name and be done with his worthless-wife-beating-sorry ass.

Yes, I swear I deal with it every year. You need to file a paper return. You’ll have to wait 6-8 weeks but you’ll get it and they will have to pay it back.

He committed tax fraud. Follow up with the irs. He should be punished

Just a note: file early next year. Then at least if he tries it again, it’s his return that will be halted.

1 Like

You just file and they will flag both of the returns, ask for proof and it will all work out. It will just take a little more time than it should. He’ll have to pay it back and get hit with interest and penalties. Do you have proof that you have full custody of your child or an order that you are to claim them? That might be the only hiccup if you don’t have documentation for that… but he absolutely cannot claim you

Pretty sure if you’re still married then he has the right to do that. Doesn’t need your w-2

1 Like

As for an ip pin them he will
Not be able to do so with out the pin mailed to you every year. Form 14039

I would definitely try and talk to someone with the irs and make sure they understand that you two have been DIVORCED for a year and there are no ties between you two and provide them with your legal separation papers and make sure they understand that you did not consent

1 Like

Depending on when you separated last year, he may have had every right to claim you as a dependent. If you were living together and still together for 6 months of the year claimed, then he is able to claim you as a dependent because he provided your support for half or more of the year. I went through this with my ex husband. He was pissed I claimed him, but he lived with me for 7 months before separating. Unfortunately for him he also didn’t file legal separation so we technically weren’t separated at all for that calendar year. I didn’t need his w2s, signature, or anything to claim him as a dependent. As for your child, if there is no legal document stating when you each claim the child, it gets messy when it comes to claiming the child.

If this isn’t the case and you didn’t live together for 6 or more months and have a legal separation, then you’ve done all you can do. It’s on the police and irs to work it out now. He may have consequences, but it may not be legal punishment. He may just have to pay back the extra money they gave him for claiming you or he may face fraud charges.

1 Like

Separated and divorced are 2 different things. Why is this even a question now? Its September. :woman_facepalming:

He will have to pay money back! Keep contacting irs get all necessary documents and get an office appt with your local one.

Unfortunately you will both probably be audited.

If he didn’t have your daughter at least 6 months of the year and you didn’t live with him he will get in trouble for claiming you both

1 Like

Just file by paper. All they do is call you and sometime ask for proof of you being separated. He’ll be fined and ordered to repay what he took.

Get a IRS PIN # for next year and coming years. This protects you from fraud. Also tell IRS you did not sign or file with him.

Call an attorney but it sounds like you already did everything you needed to do. That’s tax fraud. Let the irs and police handle it.

1 Like

Someone stole my I D and hit ba c k 11.000 dollars income tax. It’s caught it and started taking payments out of my social security to the tune of 235.00 a month, so when I called s.s. they told me it’s had charged me 11.000. I did get to the bottom of it and they refunded my money and agreed it was identity theft

1 Like

Report him to the irs

You should be able to go ahead and file your taxes by paper and then the irs should start sending out letters to sort out who was legally entitled to file.

1 Like

Police can’t do anything
No court
U have to deal with irs
Also put a lock on ur social security number

1 Like

Depends if you’re separated or divorced. It also depends on when you divorced.

He won’t be able to claim taxes for 5 years, and it’ll be a hefty fine. As well as hell have to pay everything back

Is this in America, because it sure is a weird set up. In Australia and UK everyone’s tax return is their own individual one!

1 Like

Call the irs let them know they can do something. I was talking to a lady last tax season her ex did that to her she was still getting her money . and the irs was going to take it from his next tax filing the next year. But research it cause the irs will take it out of his next tax refund that will teach him a lesson. Call a attorney.

1 Like

Dont let him get away with it. He laughing

He has to have taken care of you and that child for 6 months and 1 day consecutively in order for him to TRY to file. Regardless if yall are still married or not he still HAS TO HAVE YOUR PERMISSION and YOU HAVE TO SIGN PAPERS for that. And yes he will be responsible for repaying the irs on top of any legal fees they want to throw at him. (If it goes that far.)

1 Like

Make a complaint to the IRS. Make sure you have legal documentation and let them know he did this without your consent. This is tax fraud and identity theft. You may want to also reach out to a tax attorney and see if they offer a free consultation. They may be able to help you as well.

This happened to me but the lady who was supposed to file mine ended up filing me and my son under her uncles dependents.

1 Like

Report to IRS… shame on him!

1 Like

File A injured spouse report

from experience, the IRS will audit his return every year. not much else

1 Like

It is illegal for him to sign for you, first off. So report him to the irs and they will make him pay it back.

2 Likes

You have to report the fraud to social security.
Also ask IRS to speak to someone from innocent spouse program to help you figure this out.
They helped me years ago

4 Likes

The irs will audit his return and he won’t benefit from having a dependent on his tax return because he will have a penalty placed on his name for 7-10 years as repercussion. Or atleast thats what happend to my sisters ex

1 Like

Because you know who stole it report it with the IRS. They will issue you a code every year when you file your taxes. Make sure if you ever move you notify the IRS of a change of address otherwise your sol without that code.

What he did may not have been illegal, it depends on when you separated last year and your separation agreement. Are you legally separated living in different residences? You’ll need proof of all of that unfortunately in these cases it’s often a race to file quickly that matters most

Since he signed for you it is illegal. They will audit him and he will have to pay that back plus if they fine him. Then u will most likely get a code linked to ur name that u have to use every year to file. My fiance has to have a code bcuz his ex tried this crap and we had to deal with it afterwards.

It depends on your divorce agreement.

I had this happen to me. You will need to report it to the IRS. They will treat it as stolen identity. You will have a code mailed to you every year for you to file with your returns.

1 Like

You should have been able to file with your proof of ID and he got to pay that back…and he did it fraudulently!:woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: Re file !:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

My boyfriend claims me as a dependent every year. I’ve never once been required to sign anything.

2 Likes

If you’re still married, he didnt have to steal your info or commit fraud. He filed taxes for a married couple. He can owe you half in your divorce. Designate who claims the child when.

1 Like

You have to file legal separation divorce that’s all I can tell you otherwise he can keep doing this he can even get a girlfriend to sign it cuz they sold my taxes he’s dead now thank God

It is punishable by prison time. It is felony tax fraud. Not only he will get in serious trouble for it, whatever tax agent helped him can too.
I went through this with my ex before we were legally divorced. The only reason he didn’t face prison time is because he didn’t get any money from it since I had already filed and been approved

I’m not help but I so hope you get him.

They will make him pay back the money if you can prove he did not have the right to claim you or your daughter.

8 Likes

I would believe that the IRS would go after him if you filed tax fraud. You deserve the money and he would have to pay them back

7 Likes

ask a lawyer they do free consultation

5 Likes

Call the irs and tell them he will have to pay it back!

4 Likes

This happened to my mother many years ago when I was young. My bio father claimed us behind her back. Mind you we have never lived with him, ever! She just had to prove we lived with her and they fixed it. Its takes a while though .

6 Likes

Report him. They’ll fine him a shit ton of money.

1 Like

You file a paper return. The IRS will catch it but you’re not going to be able to e-file.

You’ll have to file a paper return. Then an actual person will review the 2 conflicting returns. They’ll likely ask for additional documentation, and then they’ll request additional documentation/proof from him. You’ll be issued a check (after the investigation), and he’ll have to pay back what he wasn’t entitled to.

4 Likes

You file an injured spouse form. That’s what I had to do.

My own mother claimed me one year not knowing I had two small children because I hadn’t talked to her in years. I filed a fraud claim against whoever stole my irs tax return only to find out it was her after she went to prison for a couple of years over it. I had proof I’d worked all year and had my children’s documentation to prove they were mine, lived in my home and I wasn’t being supported by any outside source. Also next time you leave a spouse get a legal separation from them asap so that the courts are aware he has no claim to anything you earn or debts you accrue. This can help prevent them from filing any claims to your irs refund in the future as well as any property you own or inheritance you may receive in the future.

1 Like

Someone did that with my daughter’s ss# years ago. She’s was about 5. I provided a copy of her birth certificate and was able to claim her. The irs wasn’t after the other person. Never found out who it was

That means he got yalls stimulus checks also

2 Likes

Stay on top of the irs about it he will have to pay it back

1 Like

If its possible in your country, look into changing all your information, and change your signature

Yes you can. Go to a tax person and ask for help. My daughter has an ex that tries it every year. She has her tax person file the paper work showing she’s go custody and it’s in the paperwork that she claims the child. Only problem is it takes along time. It can take 6 months up to a year to get the money.

Take Him to small claims court

When I was little my dad claimed us after the year after we moved to my moms… she had our socials flagged at the SS office and until we were old enough to file for ourselves anyone that wanted to claim us had to have a specific code.

go to a lawyer.i have a friend who went through the same thing

Call the IRS.
Also, call a Women’s Shelter. Many has legal support for women who are being physically, emotionally, and financially abused.
You clearly fall into the last category.

He will have to pay it back and he will be audited for years. He created a big mess for himself. File your paper taxe return and fraud claim. He got stimulus checks you were entitled to.

Call the Federal Trade Commission they might be able to help. They help me when some one stole my identity. They told me what to do and they flagged my Ss number for 1 year.

Call the IRS. They helped me with the same thing 20 years ago.

1 Like

He can go to jail. That is tax fraud and identity theft. Follow up with the IRS

1 Like