I have been struggling with postpartum: Advice?

I have been dealing with postpartum depression and am finding it really hard to cope lately with life and have been very overwhelmed. I have spoken with my doctor, and I’m trying to find the right antidepressant to take. The first one (bupropion) made me very irritable and short-tempered with my children, which I am NEVER like that with them. I don’t really have a great support system. My husband just thinks it’s a state of mind, and I can change without medication. At first, it worked. I changed my mindset and only needed meds for less than a year. I had a miscarriage fell back into depression, then got pregnant two months later and was able to pull out of that a little bit. Now, it’s all coming back, and I’m at a loss. I guess I’m looking for positive words, experiences of others, maybe some hope? Everything is just so dark. Sorry for the long post. Thank you for reading this.

13 Likes

Zoloft and counseling helped me. (Hug) you’re not alone

2 Likes

Cymbalta has been great, but if you’re pregnant or planning on getting pregnant you shouldn’t take it. I had to stop it because I’m trying for a baby, but once I am done I can’t wait to go back on it.

Postpartum depression is serious mom, it’s not only a mindset thing. You are strong. You will found eventually the good pills. Keep up the good work. :muscle:t3: :two_hearts:

4 Likes

My biggest advice is take time for yourself! I to struggled hard with depression after having my son, mostly from missing my family I lived two hours away… and not feeling like I had the support or help… I went through a miscarriage and it hit me hard and I had to find time for myself and write things down … I was prescribed a medication Sertraline (think that’s how you spell it ) and it helped me so much ! Try going for a walk by yourself each night to clear your kind

1 Like

Therapy can help I use 2 go once a week I have been on an off for 10 years I have problems with depression and anxiety pretty bad I learned to cope with anxiety without meds because of it and what triggers me and I’m not ashamed to go back when I get over whelmed and feel like im struggling I go back they can also help with getting you on right medication if needed

1 Like

I’ve been there! However I currently have major depressive disorder and how it start was post partum . I have severe generalized anxiety like I’m all kinds of messed up but I go to therapy and take my medication.

I see a psychologist I’ve tried a bunch of different things but Prozac and Wellbutrin are the correct ones I’m on (I have to take two a day) and I’ve seen a major change.

She also has me on abilify at night time w helps w depression and anxiety as well.

1 Like

Well your husband should be supportive of you and not try to downplay postpartum depression… I hate men who just don’t understand anything. I have taken meds for awhile for depression. Zoloft helps and lamictal for a mood stabilizer for my bipolar. Having a supportive partner is important too and he sounds like an ass. Sorry. Don’t accept being treated that way.

Lexapro has saved my life

1 Like

I’ve had anxiety and depression most of my life and now have ppd with my second, I had it with my first too but I didn’t get help and I regret that so much. I don’t have much of a support system. Hubby works a ton so it’s usually just me and the kids. I have no friends, family doesn’t come around much. I started the medication I was taking before I got pregnant (Effexor 150mg) and therapy. I feel sooo much better than I did. I’m also keeping busy. We joined a playgroup at the library so free and not judgey and I just joined mops which was the best decision ever. As far as your hubby he might never get it but you still have to take care of yourself with or without that. Hubby gets me and he’s patient but he’s not home much.

I don’t have answers for you. I can tell you only what helped me. Forcing myself to get out of my house helps.? Realizing I can’t accomplish everything in a day helps. My PPD had less to do with hormones alone than it did with issues I needed to deal with that were both past and present, it just came out while I was post pardum. A great deal of counselling helped me realize that, meds helped me process and work through my shit…

Honey listen to your dr. Go to Walmart ask pharmacist. about mild sleep med. he will know what to give. It’s over the counter sleep med. no morning hangover. . My grandson uses it after a rough day for him. He’s 12 it is safe

I’m so sorry that you’re going through this. Your husband should not be telling you it’s not serious, and excuse me for saying so but he’s a bit of an ass for doing that. Therapy does help, you need someone you can talk to in a safe non-judgemental environment and it would be a launching pad for getting some much needed “me” time. Go to therapy, get a coffee or go to a yoga class after. Make it a “mommy morning”. Meds can and do help, but identifying the root of the problem will make a positive mindset more sustainable. Try Prozac, maybe Zoloft or ask your Dr about Remeron if your depression is really intense. Good luck. Don’t give up. You can beat this Momma.

Cognitive behavioural therapy. Try it. It helped me heal so much, meds do not work for some people, the side affects are scary with some of them, also I found after seeing this therapist I changed my whole eating and lifestyle and parenting style with almost no effort just by changing the way my brain coped with stress, it’s kind of like hypnosis but you recognise physical signs that alert you to what your mind is doing, like I guess figuring out the pattern of destruction your thoughts do, and then retraining your brain to cope differently to those thoughts/feelings. 10 years ago I was suicidal angry unmotivated and in the worst most terrifying dark situation now I’m literally bossing life. I still stress out but chemically in my brain I’m more balanced. Now if I’m stressing or having a bad mum day it’s simply just that a bad day not the end of the world like it used to be.

Yoga is a very calming way to clear your mind and your body.

Take the meds girl. Dont play around with depression. We would rather see you happy on meds than 6 feet under.

1 Like

I see a great therapist when I can’t kick it on my own.

You need to get a therapist. ppd Is not a game. I suffered 2 times, and am expecting it again. Its very normal, and going to an actual therapy facility, you can see a doctor who specializes in medicating.

are you on birth control by any chance, because that could really mess with you. I was on bc for 8 months after my last and it was making me crazy. I stopped it and within 2 weeks I was back to my normal self

Go back to your doctor and find an anti-depressant that will help you! Your husband doesn’t understand the ‘dark world’ mentality. I take anti-depressants I inherited depression and my sister takes 2 types for hers. There isn’t any shame in needing them. Your mental health is important.

The best shrink is Jesus Christ talk to him he’s always there to listen. Trust in him and he will see you through everything. Just make time alone with him every day and always be truthful we all need time alone with him. Remember he loves you as his daughter. I will pray for you to find your peace and health

I have never had depression of any kind, but I do know what it can do. Please listen to the ladies who posted here. They are telling you the right things

Prayers for you sister. I’m here if you wanna talk. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who will not judge you. Sounds like you got a lot to unload. Men don’t understand our chemistry. Please don’t ignore your feelings and seek professional help. I wish I could tell you a name of a good trustworthy doctor but I don’t know one. It’s sad. Just know there’s good people here. Reach out. DONT give up.

I deal with depression and sometimes major anixity. from my past tram and after I had each of my girls, both times had Postpartum depression on top of my depression I already had. I didn’t say anything about my depression untill my second was born. I tried a breastfeeding-safe anti-depression pill, can’t remember the name of it, but both times I took it in the morning as instructed, it made it ectreamly hard to breath and my chest hurt a lot, meaning I was allergic to the pill so was to to not take it again. I’m still struggling with my depression, but I’m type to hide my pain (tough myself to hide it when I was little). sometimes my partner can tell I’m hiding it and helps by just holding me, but that’s like 20% of the time I’m feeling my depression.

Don’t be like me, seek the help you need for your baby to have a happy mommy. Sometimes it’s hard for others can understand what it’s like if they never experienced it. Best of luck to you.

Im so sorry, you sound like u have had alot to deal with for one, im sure its hard losing a baby, i always tell my girls that mother nature has her ways too. In other when u have a miscarriage thats gods way of saying its not to be right now. And think of it this way, your little one is an angel watching over u, and shes happy where shes at. I know it hurts, but let god take away u pain, it will get essyer. Go to a counlor, thats a start. And it will help, get back on u meds, that will help. Listen to u doctor, your husband means well, i dont think he understands what u going thru thro. Sometimes if u havent been in that dark place, i felt like it was a hole, pulling me under, get help dont wait. Fight for u self, just to let u know i found my way out of that dark place and so will u. May hod bless u.

I struggled with it horribly… to where it ruined me and my husband’s relationship. Je didn’t handle it well from not understanding completely either. Despite how much I loved my son, I thought of suicide and was afraid I was going to snap. My husband wound up going to jail for a few months during this…it was dark…very dark. Take in those smiles from your kids…focus on that, that’s what it’s all about. My kid saved my life. One of the things that really pulled me out of it though was going to the gym…I was going like 5 or 6 times a week…yoga…working with weights…and jiu jitsu and Muay thai…my attitude COMPLETELY changed. And I got alot more energy to enjoy more with my son.

Go to therapy. Therapy mixed with medicine is the best treatment

This is s difficult time for a woman without PPD but with it seems there’s no way to get through. I had PPD with my son who is now 27, there was no help for me. I cried almost all day. To make matters worse I damaged my urethra in childbrth and had to pee through a catheter. The nurse said, cheer up, you have a beautiful baby boy and a wonderful 2 yo daughter …if only.
I stayed depressed for over 6 months with no medical help at all. Amazingly, I got through it. Please, reach out to others for help if you can. Try the antidepressants that have proven records. If I was closeby I’d come and relieve you so you could shower and take a nap, I think sleep deprivation makes it worse.

Above all things Remember you are important and your family needs you
You deserve to have a life with your husband who is challenged to remember the promises he made when you married.

But YOU are important and YOU deserve to be happy :smiley:

Start exercising. Walking biking. Whatever you can do. Have your doctor call your husband to talk to him. Talk to someone. Get the help you need.

Someone should tell your husband that postpartum depression is a real thing and if not treated could become dangerous to you and your children. He really needs to pay attention and listen to you. You need s doctor who is caring, maybe your gynecologist ?

Keep trying. One day at a time. See if you can locate any support groups in your area. Continue to communicate with your doctor. Have you grieved the loss of your miscarriage? In your blessing you have also had heartache. Its alot on young moms…One day at a time.

Thc …the natural cure… I hope you get better soon…I will pray for you to recover soon

It’s been 22+ years since I had my youngest of 4, but I did experience PPD, and to some extent experience a form of it to this day. What I suffer from is actually PTSD, and I believe the 2 are related. My 1st passed 4 months after she was born, and I was pregnant with my eldest son at the time of her passing. I didn’t have the luxury of medicating due to getting pregnant over and over again. In the 28 years since her passing (this December 17th), I can honestly say that the feeling/ experience comes in waves. They come without warning most times. Though you can’t stop them from coming, you can choose which ones to surf. It ebs and flows with extreme highs and devastating lows. Don’t expect the few supporters around you to understand, or even comprehend, what you’re going through. Learn to use what they are able to provide, a listening ear, a shoulder to cry on, whatever they muster to “cheer up” you, or “calm down” you, knowing that they wouldn’t be there if they didn’t sincerely care. They can go through it, in almost the identical circumstances, and still be incapable of relating to how you feel, or what you need at any given moment. Above all, understand that the journey you’re going through is to assist someone else you possibly haven’t met yet, that you can speak life to in a uniquely qualified way no one else can. There is purpose in your pain, solace in your solemnity, it’s the test in your testimony. You’re succeeding in the strength it took to ask for help. Sometimes just making it through the storm is what is required. You’ve been given a life few could endure, and only you can achieve it the way you are doing it. You aren’t alone, many walk alongside you, and in the same fashion, handle it minute by minute, day after day, and reach out whenever they feel the urge to offer a helping hand, a kind word, or just to sit with you, silently, through it. This, too, soon shall pass, always remember that. It hasn’t come to stay, it has come to pass. It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass. Virtual hugs n wet snotty kisses. You got this! :v::kiss::blue_heart:

Postpartum depression is not a joke girl, your husband is so far wrong it scares me. I had a dear friend that did the unthinkable because her postpartum depression was so beyond bad and she had no support either. Her and her baby are angels now… :pensive: Get help asap, it’s a serious mental health issue and can get devastatingly worse. Good luck, you’re in my prayers!

I’m so very sorry for you!.. my heart goes out to you. I had it after my last baby was born. And let me tell you. I wouldn’t wish thus for anyone… I couldn’t find the right medicine either. All I can say is keep yourself busy… you need a great support system! Talk about your feeling dont leave them bottled up… prayers for you.

First of all, tell your husband this stuff, find literature about depression and postpartum in particular for him to read or ask your therapist to explain your condition to him, he’s your major support, he need to be on board, because right now he’s not a help, he’s actually a problem, after that be patient with yourself while you work with your psychiatrist to find a medication that works well for you…

You will very very likely not have to take medication forever. Do what you need to do. I could explain why I am overly qualified and will if you wanted to private message me. But my advice is start with the ones that have been around longest. There isn’t enough information about all the new ones they come out with. I don’t know what your doctor changed you to but Prozac is good when it fits the person and it’s one that is easily increased dosage. That may have been the problem with your other one. You weren’t on a high enough dose. Changing meds will NOT help you. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t do a dosage increase first anyway. I currently take Effexor and it is far and beyond the best thing I’ve ever been on. It did take a dosage increase to get it right but I feel better than I have felt in a very long time. I am intimately aware of what medicine does and how it can change your life. I tell people if you don’t feel at least a small amount better in about a week and a half it’s not working. It will teach full effect after that but the right medication starts working very quickly.

1 Like

I’ve been on so many antidepressants and after 21 years I need a medicine change up. I’m on Lithium right now but I’m immune to it. Talk to your Dr. and make sure to be upfront and honest with him.

Keep trying the medication. I had to take it in the short term to help with post partum. Talk therapy can also help. A combo I believe is best.

1 Like

I was also told this by my ex husband. No it is NOT something in your head. Go get help… Do not wait.

It’s important that you seek professional help. Get on a different Antidepressant lexapro or zoloft can work wounders! I tell my pts it sould be in drinking water!!

Honey, I hurt for you. I had bad post partum with my daughter.
Prayer helps keep trying with the antidepressants. Also get do Terra essential oils, their vitality pack. I take it once daily and it controls my anxiety by about 90%.

Fish oil, vit B, vit c, and I think it was magnesium. This came from someone on a depression hotline and it worked!

Praying for you!!! :purple_heart:

Talk to a doctor asap

Ask your Dr about finding a woman’s group specializing in this. Or ask for a reference to a good counselor. Good luck