I terminated my rights 3 years ago with my kids, what will happen after this baby is born?

Ok, so two years almost three years ago I had an open cps case…well, in the end, I ended up terminating my rights because my children were happier, and with me being raised in foster care I prayed and thought I made the right decision. Well, I am now pregnant and planning to keep my baby. My social worker keeps in contact with me, and I keep in contact with with her. She messaged me today to check on me, so I told her I am expecting and wanted to know what all would happen after o give birth to my baby. She explained to me that if my case meets criteria, a social worker will come to talk to me and check on me and baby and make sure I have everything I need. I’m still sober have been for almost three years. My question is, has anyone else gone through this, and if so, what was the end result?

35 Likes

I don’t know why they would need to be involved if the other case is closed?

16 Likes

I dont no all the details exactly but I have a friend who’s mom had 2 of her kids legally and she has 3 others shes had since then and they are all with her so…hopefully nothing happens. If you arent in trouble and have a stable environment there is no reason for them to get involved seriously. Maybe a check up in the beginning…

4 Likes

They can’t just take your baby cuz you signed rights away to the others. Just make sure you have everything you need n you should be good to go

10 Likes

Just because your rights were terminated with your other children doesn’t have anything to do with this baby. Just keep doing the right thing like you have been and you have nothing to worry about. Congratulations on your sobriety and your new baby!

12 Likes

So you just gave 3 away instead of getting your shit straight, finally got your shit straight and just decided to have another.
K.

You should be fine, and I’m all honesty you don’t even need to involve cps if you don’t want to. It’s good that you still keep in contact with your social worker but if you are doing everything you need and plan to keep the baby then you will be fine. Good luck.

3 Likes

They will just do home visits regularly and work with yourself and midwife, to insure it is a safe and healthy environment, once they are satisfied, they will leave you pretty much alone, and just check in now and again.

I know a few ppl who had kids removed from CPS and they did come to hospital and take baby. I’m not sure details or what but I think they had to prove they were fit… good luck

2 Likes

If your other case is closed why are you keeping in contact with the case worker. Your putting yourself through more stress then needed with your new child. Theres no case currently so theres no reason they should be looking into you already.

8 Likes

I’m on the opposite end of this, I am the foster parent. Saying that, they cannot do anything about the new baby unless there is a REASON to.
I wouldn’t stress too much.

3 Likes

It would only be an issue if you still had an open case. Just make sure you have everything you need for the baby and you will be good to go.

2 Likes

Noting will happen as long as you dont get another case. I know a girl who this happened. She lost her first but her second two were fine.

1 Like

All they will do it just home check if they do anything. They cant do anything unless there is a case on that child.

2 Likes

If you’re sober, there is no reason you should have any contact from CPS.

7 Likes

If you terminated your own rights, that means they didnt do It. That also means they didn’t have to step in to that extent. That alone tells me that they saw you as someone who COULD get them back and be okay with them. They will probably do nothing since you are still sober. Ask for any needed resources and be very open about it. Make the system work for you so that you can be productive! Best wishes to you, Mama, and congrats on getting your life back.

3 Likes

I know a girl who’s parents have legal rights to her oldest son but she has 2 younger kids in her custody.

1 Like

My son was adopted out of CPS his real mother signed her rights over… she had an open case for both boys and pregnant and when she had the baby because she wasn’t part of the case she was not involved… she signed her rights over to my son and then finished out the case and closed it for the oldest. So each individual child has to have a reason to be taken

2 Likes

I had an open case years ago I gave birth to my 3rd while the case was open all they did was home visits with me and after 2 weeks closed the case I kept my younger 2 and have visitation with older 2 every other week as long as you do what you have 2 stay clean make sure house always clean and do as they say you will be ok they didn’t even come to hospital when I had my son they waited a week before they popped in to give me that first week of bonding time with my son I did have to take parenting classes and therapy also

1 Like

Thank all you ladies!!! This is helping ease my mind. And for those of you that asked i keep in touch with her because she saved my life. And she is how i recieve pictures of my other babies amd updates on how they are doing! All of my babies are everything to me and im trying so hard to do better this time around. Ive got a ways to go but im so far from where i was. Thank you for all your kind words and not lookong down on me for my recovery and my decisions :heart:

9 Likes

You voluntarily gave your rights away because at that time you felt it was the right thing to do… this time around your more stable so there is no need to give up your rights. It would be a diffrent story if your rights were taken away by CPS. I have family where their kids were taken away, they fell pregnant again and CPS was contacted at birth and they remove the child from their care.

I know a lady that signed away her rights for her first two children, but cleaned up and had a third child she kept.

2 Likes

If you couldn’t take care of the kids you had, and you had to give them up, why get pregnant again??

10 Likes

Congrats on being sober!!

3 Likes

Really depends… I’m friends with moms both gave up their rights and ended up having more children years down the road. One CPS stepped in when she was in the hospital, The other one CPS never messed with. Seeing how you keep in contact with your Social service worker, just continue to do what you have been for…

Why in the hell would you have another child, if you terminated your rights to the others. WTF!

12 Likes

As long as you stay sober and actually show you’re okay, you should be fine.

2 Likes

Use the support and resources that the social worker has to offer and stay sober for you and this baby :sparkling_heart:

11 Likes

Depends on the state and if there were any “aggravated” or "heinous " (language varies by state) acts / factors substantiated in the past cases

1 Like

Girl stay away from those baby snatchers! They have no case with this new baby

2 Likes

Good luck. I hope everything goes well. Stay sober.

3 Likes

Congratulations on staying sober, that’s really awesome! Do everything CPS tells and asks you to do. Ask about early childhood development classes they may provide, etc. just so they understand you are serious about raising your precious little one and willing to take the mile to do so. That’s what I would do if I was in your position anyway. Best of luck mama! :purple_heart:

1 Like

The fact that you chose to give your children a better life proves that you are capable of being a good mom. Ignore the stupid people that say you abandoned your children. You did what you thought was best even though it was extremely difficult. You’re going to be a great mom to this baby :relaxed: great job staying sober mama

17 Likes

Maybe this is the moment that defines you. Grab those boot straps and hang on. People. Small people are depending on you. Do not let them down. And you down. Prayers

5 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriety!

9 Likes

Ok so I’ve been in this situation. My daughter was wrongfully taken by CPS I was only a month away from my case being closed when they started threatening me they told me I either sign my rights over or they wouod take my son as soon as he was born and many many other threats including bodily harm. So I did I now have 2 beautiful boys that cpd has never touched. If u could sue them I would

Usually they will ensure the household is fit for this child and go from there :slight_smile:

1 Like

For all of u judging this girl, I salute her for doing what was best for her children, she clearly states her children are happier, at least you didnt see them on news abandoned or dead! She’s has her life together now, if she wants to have a new baby in her new life so be it! Who are you to judge, because of people like you, women don’t reach out, we are supposed to build each other up not tear each other down!

17 Likes

I think you’re brave. And stand tall in doing what was best for your children. Give the same love to this one you so graciously gave the other ones. And if your ready be their mom. You sound amazing. Judgment free… :heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

Keep your head up . Dont mind negative comments, sometimes people dont and never will understand the life of an addict.
Koodos to your sobriety! Also congratulations on your newest addition. It takes a lot of heart to be able to walk away from your children to ensure their happiness and them being able to enjoy everything you couldnt give them … it takes a lot . I know. I was there once to . :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

Here if your children are taken and you get pregnant they generally leave you alone because it’s normally a different set of circumstances. They can’t just take your baby unless they have evidence you can’t provide or are using or will possibly be neglectful.

1 Like

Congrats!!! You’re doing great!!! Put the past behind you. You did the best you could with the knowledge you had at the time! I tell myself that when I start feeling guilty about the mistakes I’ve made. I’m 74 years old, been married for 52 and, believe me, I’ve made plenty in those years! Keep on the right path and don’t let your hormones or “debbie downers” get you down. Use the resources you have to help you. I’m putting your name in my journal and will lift you up in prayer every day! Stay strong and be grateful for your new life! I’m sending a big hug and a prayer that our good God fill you with joy!

5 Likes

You keep doing good nothing will happen

2 Likes

I dont know what state you live in but here in Texas since you kept in contact with the caseworker and voluntarily told her you are having a baby they will do an intake call and investigate when they find out your baby is born. Stay clean and sober - have everything for your baby that he/she needs and you should do ok as long as there wasn’t physical violence involved with the other kids and anything other that was serious

2 Likes

Congratulations on your sobriery:)

4 Likes

Idk what state you live in but in illinois the child isnt named on the case so they cant do anything unless the child is born addicted or abused in anyway.

2 Likes

I probably wouldn’t of told her that for one and two I know lots of people that lost there kids had more and since there was no complaint the state can’t just come in

I’m a foster mom, a new child would have to be a totally new case and they would have to have cause. As long as the baby doesn’t test positive for anything at birth, nothing will happen.

2 Likes

Keep your Sobriety going be a responsible,caring,loving parent,provide for the child have a stable home,work or income husband,boyfriend you should be fine?

2 Likes

I’ve been in this same exact situation
When my children were taken and I was going through the whole unification process I ended up pregnant again and they didn’t even give me chance with the new baby, they had him in maternity suite with me the whole time until the took him for some “final testing” right before discharge and never brought him back, I was discharged on my birthday without my son and sent home so heartbroken
I ended up signing over my rights to my 4 year old and my newborn because honestly I couldn’t provide for myself and dragging everything out through visitation was hell on all 3 of us
Fast forward 3 years, I’m in a stable environment and relationship, we got pregnant right away (not on purpose) as soon as my pregnancy was officially diagnosed I started getting calls from social workers, they wanted to know where I lived, with who, if we had stable income, etc
Passed all drug testing throughout my pregnancy and during delivery
Had to have regular mental health check ups with my doctor since I literally lost my other kids for NOT being on drugs
Had one home visit after our son was born to make sure the residence was ok and they closed the case completely
Tbh I’m pretty sure if it weren’t for my husband being in my life for support my youngest would’ve been taken away too

2 Likes

I’d also like to point out that giving your children a chance at a better life than you could provide is literally one of the hardest and unselfish decision a parent can make

16 Likes

I always wonder in these situations why a woman continues to get pregnant over and over, when they admittedly say they aren’t really equipped to be a mother. Sobriety and stability are commendable for 3 years, and I hope that continues. It does not however keep me from wondering about all the other very important qualities you must possess to be a mother. Do you have support, are you financially stable, have you taken parenting classes (since you didn’t have an example) are you with the father who is committed to you and your child. Raising a child takes much more than being sober for 3 years. It sounds as if you weren’t ready to be a mother with your other 3 and you really have to dig deep and do some soul searching if you are ready for this one. No back sliding, no more going back to anything that is unhealthy. 3 years is just a drop in the hat in the sobriety, lifestyle change department. Think hard and if you still have a social worker, that worries me. Most people living life right do not have an ongoing social worker? Why do you have a case worker in your permanent life?

16 Likes

I would also like to say that she had an open CPS case meaning that she had 2 options, comply with CPS and do everything they ask in order to get the children back or they will permanently remove them and fight to terminate your parental rights, it doesn’t sound like she did a great deed on her own, I think she chose to not follow their guidelines and it was easier for her at the time to get them off her back and terminate her rights. I know a thing or two about how these things work and either you clean up and fix your situation or you face losing your children involuntarily. Not a lot of mothers who are living right give up their rights, only those who cannot get themselves together and choose to keep using or being abusive or living in filth, or whatever the case may be, do. Js. I don’t really commend her for voluntarily giving up her rights.

5 Likes

Get fixed please stop putting messed up kids in the world…they have no voice you are making all the bad decisions!!

8 Likes

Please ignore everyone being negative about you keeping in contact w your social worker. I think if you find them to be supportive and kind, you deserve that!

2 Likes

Did the same thing with my oldest 2, and I now have 2 in my custody. When you gave up your rights, your case should have been closed. Therefore it was none of her business.

U can keep your baby if u and baby have everything u need

I just want to say that admire the strength it took you to make that decision for your children. And the strength to stay sober.
Your case worker doesn’t have any business getting involved. Because you have no case seeing as you don’t have your other kids or anything to do with them.
Best of luck to you with your new baby!

As your other children get older, they may wonder why this baby and not them. And they might reach out, so that’s something to prepare for. You’ll have the right answers though. :heart:

4 Likes

I wish I had answers, but I wish you luck

2 Likes

First of I would like to say please ignore everyone judging you no one has the right to judge you except for God. I was am a drug addict I have been clean for 5 years. When my children were taken from their father after I had left I had an emergency hearing and the hardeat thing I ever had to do was tell the judge financially I could provide for them but emotionally I was not able to because I was on drugs but I had to make the hardest decision of my life at that moment to do what was best for my children at that time. Because I knew I was bringing them into the same situation CPS had just removed them from. my oldest 3 were in Foster care for a year and while I was in prison, thank God my mother was able to get guardianship of them after a year of being seperated in foster homes. When I got out I had a warrant 30 days after being released and when I was arrested I was 6 weeks pregnant with my youngest. He was born while I was in prison when I got out I still had custody of him and CPS never got envolved with him. Upon my release I felt it was best he be with my mother as not to have my oldest question why I took him and not them. I had relapsed and went back to Jail I was facing 15 years and had to give my mother guardianship of him as not to lose my parental rights. I have spent the last 4 years fighting for custody back of them. My mother has moved in with me with my children since my step father comitted suicide in January. To this day I still will not give up hope of having them in my custody again.

Dont give up if you are in the position to provide a safe and loving home for this child you should have no worries. Congrats on your sobriety. I pray for you and all of your amazing children. One day you will have to answer the tough questions. Be honest with them and help them to underatand why the decisions had to be made and hopefully they will understand and forgive you. I never lied to my children and it took years for my oldest daughter to forgive me and today we have our relationship back and everyday she learns to trust me more and more.

Do NOT let those that judge you change your mind about keeping this child and raising it after all it is your child. Everyone makes mistakes in life and has no right to judge anyone else. Keep your head up amd do not look down upon yourslef for doing the best thing for your children. One day at a time one step one moment learn to forgove yourself.:heart:

1 Like

For all those judging this lady, you only know some of the facts! You don’t know what happened for her to get that low to actually think her kids would he better off! Because of the children a social worker can stay on your case for however long they are needed! Maybe this social worker has helped her on her road to recovery!
Just because many of you have had a rosy life and never been put in that situation can never know how hard it must have been to diminish all rights! If it was what was best for the children then I think she done the right thing!
I applaud you for getting the help you need! My mom was an alcoholic and still is to this day and I found it more selfish of her to continue to have children without getting help!
Ignore all these judgmental fools who probably have it easy! Do what is best for you and your unborn baby! Just don’t make the same mistakes and you should be fine! When your other children are old enough you have the chance to explain and hopefully make everything if your power to get some sort of relationship back!
You did what was best so who is anyone to judge

1 Like

I’m really sorry to be judgemental but how do you think this will effect your older children? Like they wasn’t good enough but this baby will be? If you feel able to care for this baby then why not bring your other two home and start from there?

A friend of mine lost her first and then they watched her and still do. She reconnected with some since she is now 50 and they are all over 18. They tried to stop her from seeing her grandchildren. But she lost every one of them all 5 after that first. She didn’t even tell them she was pregnant and had gotten married too. I think you need to find a lawyer or legal aide. If your case was closed I don’t know if I would have told them anything. God gets you a second chance but the world is not always as like. I am happy you are delivered for your addiction. Stay clean and I hope you are walking with the Lord if you are pray and put it in his hands too.

1 Like

there is no reason for you to lose custody of this baby, unless you want to… But they will be there, There will be drug testing on both you & your baby. If there are missed prenatal appointments that will also be not in your favor. The PP social worker will also talk to you & the CPS person. Be honest, be very honest. And you also might want to think about having your tubes tired.

With each incident its a new case so this baby and how this goes is really unrelated to your past case. So long as you don’t give cps a reason to take the baby they won’t take him/her

1 Like

As a former foster parent and familar with this a little I think it depends on state laws. I think in some if parental rights are terminated for any reason the state can immediately take possession of newborn. Look it up on your states webpage.

I don’t know the answer but CONGRATULATIONS on staying sober and hope that you have a wonderful life with your child. Keeping looking forward

1 Like

My kids went into temporary care while I was pregnant about 8 years ago, and they CAN NOT touch that baby without a very damn good reason. I was dealing with a lot of depression surrounding the loss of a parent, but did as they asked in seeking treatment, and they assured me that because my file did not include the unborn baby, he would not leave my care. I hadn’t signed away any rights, but I know someone who did, and she now has two other children that she has custody of.

I feel like, having worked so hard to get your life on track, and staying sober for so long will only help you. Serious congratulations on three years of sobriety! That is HUGE. And congratulations and best of luck to you and your baby to be :purple_heart: Stay strong, mama.

2 Likes

I just went through this a month ago I signed over my rights almost 9 years ago for open adoption type case with my older children and I just had my baby last month and yes a social worker came and asked us if we had everything we needed and a place to live and how long we had been sober and made sure we had a list of all our resources and that was it good luck to you and your new baby and to starting over.

I don’t have any experience but I wouldn’t think one has anything to do with the other as long as you’re capable of taking care of this baby there shouldn’t be an issue they may keep tabs on you

My son passed away when he was 5 months old and I had to send my older son to his grandmas (CPS’ orders or they would take him) because I wasnt mentally capable to take care of him, so he went with his grandma for awhile and then ended up having to sign over guardianship to his grandma, well years later I got my life on track and got married and had my daughter (3 years ago) well a case worker came to the hospital to check on me and baby and make sure I was ok to take care of her, then they did a home visit to make sure we had everything we needed and then cleared me to take baby home, a couple weeks went by and the came to the house again just to check on us and everything was fine I still have my little girl and haven’t had a visit from a caseworker or anything since the second visit, you will ok and Congratulations and good luck

Nothing will happen. We have legal guardianship of two granddaughters because of abuse, 4 years later they had another child and they didn’t even have a home visit or anything.

Best of luck. You can do it.

Has nothing to do with this child. Been there years ago

1 Like

Congratulations to you, Good luck with your new Baby , God Bless

Praying all will be fine for you and the baby.

I’ve seen plenty of parents lose their original kids and get to keep new ones.

You didn’t terminate your rights with the child you are pregnant with.

:pray::pray:’s stay clean, you deserve a new chance.,