I wrote in a non bio father on my kids birth certificate and need to change it

Call the court and ask them if they have a petition for a Name Change packet. You will need to fill it out, pay a filing fee, do an affidavit of publication and see a judge. (I work for the courts) Good luck!

1 Like

Go to your city court and check with them. What do you mean he wouldn’t give you the paperwork? If he signs the paternity affidavit then the hospital sends that info in for the birth certificate then you will have to go through the courts and lawyers to get him to officially relinquish his rights plus I think the judge will only do it if you have someone to step in his place. If he didn’t sign it then he has no rights to that child and it should be pretty easy to change the child’s name.

You need a lawyer to this… you don’t play with last names. Once is on a legal document, you will need the court.

Go to juvenile court and request a paternity test and then you can get him removed and after you can file to get name change

1 Like

He is her legal father now. You’d have to go through the courts to get it changed.

4 Likes

Easy way! File child support on that guy and let him ask for a paternity test! Once it says :100: not the father you can go thru and get it changed IMA

4 Likes

Smh. Why would you do that? My birth mother gave me her maiden name because she wasn’t sure who my father was. That’s what you should have done. Now it’s gonna cost you $$$

4 Likes

Depends on what state you’re in. Here in Missouri, it does not matter. if they sign the birth certificate, they are legally the parent. I pretty much did the same thing, but my child was a rape baby and the guy that I ended up being with signed the birth certificate and thankfully even after all the abuse happen and I left he still stepped up to the plate and was and still is a dad to my daughter. she’s 19 now. at one point I tried to have him taken off her birth certificate and they told me the only way that that would happen is if I was to remarry and my new spouse was to adopt her

The County Health office where your child was born. Since he signed it, you may need a paternity test to show he is not the father to have him removed from it.

1 Like

Why would you ever even put a mans name that you are only dating on a birth certificate instead of the actual fathers name…🤦

12 Likes

Some states you can change it without a lawyer if within the first year. Otherwise you have to get a lawyer, and a guardian ad litem.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you can give any last name to your child, surnames can actually be made up.( This is at birth though, in sure it’s harder when changing it) With the birth certificate thing though, you many have to have a paternity test to prove he is not the father, I’m not sure though.

You will also have to have her last name changed with social security, so you will need to call them as well.

Here in Canada, I had to get a notary to sign some papers to add my kids dad to his birth certificate. As for the last name change you’d have to apply for a name change, and personally I’d change it to your last name. A paternity test will probably need to be done as well

1 Like

Just get a lawyer to handle it for you. Will save you a big headache!

Have the real father sign the affidavit

I just printed the paperwork from the court house turned out in them put it in the paper for 30 days then had a court date and the judge agreed to change it

1 Like

Court and paternity test

1 Like

Why?
Ya’ll need to stop with this.

14 Likes

File with child support for paternity test, tell them real bio dad’s name as “potential father”

He’s listed as the father on birth certificate, so you’ll need to get him to sign off on it too. Whether he’s bio or not, you claimed she was his by putting him on the birth certificate

Ladies, if you are not married, give your child your last name!

32 Likes

You’ll need his permission. In Canada anyway

I would suggest to ring your birth,deaths & marriages office to see if her birth has been registered, if it hasn’t then you can proved documents to register, on the other hand if it has been registered ask them how to remove the non bio father from the birth certificate

Call your county probate court

You need a dna test first to prove he is not the father. Then they will lead you too what needs to be done to remove him.

3 Likes

Do a DNA test. That will prove she isn’t his, then give her your last name until you find the right man that will step up and adopt her for the right reasons. If your in the USA call 411. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

1 Like

I would check if paper work isnt sent in. How does that put him as the father. Go to your local courthouse an get a copy

2 Likes

Take him to court for child support. If he doesn’t want to pay it, he’ll have to do a paternity test and sign off his rights.

14 Likes

Get the real dad to do a DNA test. Get lawyer

2 Likes

You can go to the courthouse and get a copy of her birth certificate

1 Like

You have to file a name change request with the courts and pay the fees.

You literally go online to order a birth certificate. Look it up for your state. My baby is 16m amd i dont have his bc i refuse to pay the fee and shipping for it lmao

1 Like

Start at the court house. Get a birth certificate. Ask them what to do for a name change. I believe it needs to go in front of a judge. You have sole legal and physical custody unless it has been court ordered. Do yourself and your kid a favor. Give her your last name.

2 Likes

In cases where the child is born out of wedlock, the child often gets the mother’s last name. But if paternity is established, both parents have the right to petition the court to change the child’s last name. After the name change, the court will issue a new birth certificate with the changed name.
Call the courthouse for the office of vital records.

1 Like

Contact a lawyer and take him to court. I’m pretty sure they will have to do a DNA test to make sure he isn’t the real father.

1 Like

Take him for cs … he’ll take his name off real quick lol

2 Likes

🤦🤦 Oh lord, he now is obligated to her financially if you ever needed to go on TANF OR SNAP benefits, until he is otherwise proven to NOT be the biological father. :expressionless: That’s going to be a hard situation to explain, but you can have him removed from the Certificate you need to do some research possibly speak to a lawyer… :thinking:

It isn’t just a last name change. If he is on her birth certificate- that isn’t going to change unless you go through the legal process in your state to have his paternity challenged and ultimately removed when he is proven to not be the father.

Why would you put a non bio dad on the birth certificate at all? That just doesn’t make since regardless of if that guy you just met wants to be the dad for a hot minute. Medical records like birth certificates need to be accurate for a reason. You need to go to court and ask for a name change, where you will handle it Infront of a judge. If you are sole provider, and guardian there really shouldn’t be an issue. If you really don’t want her real dad to be part of this, don’t put him on it, or any other man either, give the child your last name

If you’re in Kansas, they would keep him as the father. They don’t let people play house with babies.

1 Like