If an engagement fails who gets the ring?

I want to keep the ring but my ex has forcibly taken it. Is there anything I can do?

99 Likes

Why would you want to keep it?

19 Likes

Let him have it & move on. Best of wishes.

3 Likes

I would say let him have it, but I’m a peacemaker too.

1 Like

I’d say give it back to him. If you happen to have children together already, sell it and put the money in their college defund.

Rules of engagement: if you end it, he gets the ring, if he ends it you get the ring.

26 Likes

I’d definitely let the dude keep it if he wanted it.

1 Like

If she breaks it off he gets it back. If he breaks it off she keeps it.

9 Likes

The ring is a symbol of the relationship working.

2 Likes

If he bought it it’s his 🤷

4 Likes

Give it back and don’t be petty

11 Likes

If it was given as a gift, you keep it.
Had an ex buy me a new phone and when we broke up he wanted to take it back.
Long story short, I got to keep it. And just put the service in my name:)
But if he took it, move on and pray and laugh at the next girl he gives it to​:joy::grimacing:

1 Like

The ring isn’t yours until your married. If you split before he gets the ring. That’s what I was told when my ex husband and I split and he tried to take the ring.

4 Likes

Why would u wanna keep it? My ex never asked for it back so I sold it lol

I gave it back to him. I wanted nothing to do with it. He gave it to the next girl. Then the next (who is now his wife). :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Its a gift. So who ever is the receiver of the gift can keep it.

1 Like

Goes back to whoever’s purchased it. I wouldn’t have a use for one if I kept it, you wouldn’t really want to use it with whomever you do end marrying I wouldn’t think…

2 Likes

Depends. If it was in his family it goes to him. If it was in your family you keep it. If not in either family whoever purchased it keeps it

2 Likes

It’s his in all honesty

2 Likes

His…why would you want it anyway

1 Like

He gave it to you, it’s yours.

I’d call judge Judy … it’s yours though

I kept mine (engagement ring and wedding band) and tossed them off a cliff we use to go to all the time. I didnt want anyone else having them, and having them in the house just hurt me.

If he would have wanted to take them I’d of just let him, I just needed them gone.

Why would you want to keep it!? :thinking:

He GAVE it to you. Makes it yours

Maybe he took it back because you’re selfish :thinking: :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Why would you want it?

It was given with the assumption of marriage, give it back if you’re not getting married. Simple as that. Unless its a ring that was in your family you give it back.

8 Likes

The guy gets it back. Wtf, the whole reason is to get married. :expressionless::woman_shrugging::roll_eyes:

1 Like

He should be getting the ring back.

According to my attorney during the divorce, engagement ring is premarital property. My ex was ordered to return engagement and wedding ring to me by the judge (he had taken it).

4 Likes

I have launched it at him anyway

In a court of law an engagement ring is a promise of marriage, if that promise of marriage is revoked the ring is no longer yours. If you were married, the ring is yours to keep.

5 Likes

If u ended the engagement and he bought the ring he should have it. If u paid u get it. If he ended engagement or cheated… u keep it

5 Likes

The pawnshop ? Lmao jk

Why would you get the ring? Lmao

4 Likes

I threw mine away. Right in the garbage kinda wish I kept it for my daughter but I just wanted to be done

My ex kept it and gave it to the next broad. :rofl::rofl::rofl::woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Why would you even want to keep it if he’s not the one you want to spend your life with?? That would just be a constant reminder regardless of the fact he “gave” it to you, you guys are not getting married anymore so why shouldn’t he get it back lol

2 Likes

He paid for the ring not

Why would you want to keep it? You really want to fight over a ring that now means nothing…sounds petty. Here’s a thought reverse the situation…if you bought him an engagement ring and it didn’t work out would you want it back? :thinking:

2 Likes

Why would you want a reminder of something that didn’t work? It’s kinda petty if you ask me. I threw mine back at him :woman_shrugging:t4: I did not care to keep it

1 Like

Ex gets to keep it. He purchased it and it’s considered premartial property in most cases unless it’s a family heirloom.

I was engaged, we broke up, I gave it back to him. He didn’t ask for it, but I didn’t feel right keeping it.

Now I’m happily married with two kids from my husband. I don’t think about that ring from my ex nor do I wish I would have kept it. To each their own! :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

My opinion might be unpopular. If he bought it, proposed with it, and the engagement failed it is his because the ring was given to you as a symbol/token that you would marry. If you don’t get married, it’s not yours.

9 Likes

You only keep it if you were married or at the most if you or your family paid for the wedding and he cancelled.

I thought it depended on the date received, honestly. ( I feel like a former boss going thru a divorce told me this so I’m not sure) If it was a holiday, (Christmas, Birthday, Valentine’s day) it’s a “gift”, you keep it. Any other time, it’s part of the marriage? Idk, but I wouldn’t want to keep it…unless he cheated , then hock that thing. :joy:

1 Like

If you aren’t marrying him, why do you think you should have any rights to it?

5 Likes

I’ve always heard if you break off the engagement then you are legally required to give it back. If he breaks it off you can keep it.

4 Likes

Are you talking for the legal answer? : It’s yours.
The morally right answer? It’s his. You choose.

Why would you want to keep a ring from a failed relationship?! Not worth it.

I say give it back if he paid for it or if it’s a family heirloom on his side, if family heirloom on your side and would ask for it back. You could ask what his intentions are with it? It truly is a symbol of your marriage, I personally pawned mine… didn’t want to pass it on to my child, what to say” her is a symbol of our failed marriage”…

If it’s a ring from your family then you should keep it but if not don’t worry about it.

The way I have read about it is if you broke off the engagement he gets it, but if he did you get it. The reason is it’s payment for the time and emotional distress that was caused by him.

1 Like

Return it, the ring is a symbol of the commitment you both had.

2 Likes

Engagement ring is a promise… if y’all don’t get married then it goes back to him. Once y’all are married those rings are yours.

4 Likes

Whoever paid for it :face_with_monocle::face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Is it financed? Then it’s his, unless you buyout the ring.

1 Like

To be honest the post sounds kind of petty and childish. Who freaking cares who gets the ring. Cut your losses unless your hanging on to hopes and dreams.

4 Likes

My mom’s opinion… It is yours to keep it was a gift, you don’t take back gifts. My opinion… You give it back because if your not marrying him why would you keep his ring… He deserves to have it back because it was a proposal and if the proposal doesn’t go thru than it was originally his to keep

15 Likes

Yeah, I know what you can do. MOVE ON!!

1 Like

It was a gift to the woman. She keeps it. This is from a legal perspective. My ex tried to sue me for the ring back and the judge said he had no right to it or the value in cash because engagement rings are gifted when someone is proposed to.

6 Likes

I returned it because I broke it up.

1 Like

If he paid for the ring there’s no reason why you should keep it. That’s just being greedy and materialistic

12 Likes

The ring belongs to him.

2 Likes

Legally if you called it off, you have to give it back.

3 Likes

It goes back to the giver. It’s a promise of marriage. Not a gift.

7 Likes

My ex kept it I asked for it back he said no and I said ok keep it not worth the damn argument

Greedy… you don’t want the man but his money… gold digger right there…

6 Likes

There are actual laws about that. He would get it back because it was accepted as a promise of marriage. Since the promise is broken, the buyer gets the rings back.

2 Likes

It is a promise to get married. If you did not get married the person who paid for the ring gets it back. After marriage you may keep the ring.

1 Like

It goes back to the one who gave it. That is a conditional gift.

1 Like

Nope the ring was given to you in a promise of marriage if the marriage doesn’t happen or fail it is legally his ring. There’s a thing they are trying to change about it, I read it the other day can’t remember where though

Who bought it? That who should get it back. It was their money and was given to the other person as an acceptance of marriage. You two didn’t get married so the “contract” is now broken and should go back to the person who bought it.
Idk who is asking the question (male/female) or if the relationship even had two genders participating.
For all I know this could be a female/female relationship or the male asking because his ex took the ring. :woman_shrugging:t3: Either way the ring goes back to whoever bought it

1 Like

If you we’re to go to court a judge would give him the ring as the ring is a promise of marriage. That promise was broken due to the relationship ending. Technically whoever pays gets it

If he proposed on your birthday or another holiday and that was the gift I think legally you can keep it. If he cheated or otherwise caused the end of our relationship I would keep it but otherwise I would give it back just my opinion.

I kept it as I had bought a wedding dress and put down payments on hall etc . He called off engagement as he had gotten involved with another one and wanted to give her my ring . I really liked the design too . He took my ten speed bike , he also tried to take it off my finger forcibly . Karma

It was given as a gift. So, whoever the recipient of the ring is, that’s who keeps it.

The only way the woman keeps the engagement ring is if it is an heirloom on her side of the family. Otherwise? Girl shut the hell up and give him his ring back

6 Likes

The ex. He bought it ,yes it was a gift but also a sign of love that obvisouly failed…

Why would you want to keep it when you don’t want to go through with the marriage?

I’m not sure whether or not it’s legally his as it could be considered a gift but the right thing to do would be to let it go and let him keep it.

Why would you want to keep it if you broke up?

Wtf you want it for :roll_eyes::weary::woozy_face::rofl:

1 Like

If it is just an engagement I wouldn’t keep it but if we had been married I would like to keep it for our daughter but only for that reason would I ask to keep it. I certainly wouldn’t expect to keep it.

Sounds like the law is different depending on where you are here it is considered a gift if it was given on a holiday or birthday and you keep it. Any other day of the year it is a promise of marriage and you give it back

1 Like

Depends on the situation… as does everything in life.

1 Like

Ex. Not urs. It’s an agreement to marriage. Law in many states is the person who gives it to u is there property. They can also sue you for it.

Sorry but the man gets the ring and any other jewelry he bought but that’s just my opinion. 🤷

1 Like

The law usually considers it a gift and you get to keep it; but personally I’d say give it back. Everything it stands for is over, why should you get to keep it?

21 Likes

It depends on states laws and statutes. If it was given as a gift (say xmas,Easter, Mother’s Day) it’s considered a gift and it is yours too keep. If you get it and take it as a promise to marry and it doesn’t work out, you would legally need to give it back (depending on what state you live in) if you don’t give it back, you may be responsible to pay the value in court. Never ever ever ever propose on a holiday.

4 Likes

Idk the actual law about it but whoever bought it should get it back in my opinion. But if he cheated I would definitely keep it and sell it just out of spite honestly. Any other reason I would just give it back :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

If it was one that was in his family id say give it back if it wasn’t id say whoever broke it off the other gets to keep it

2 Likes

I think it should be given back. Yes, it was a gift but under the impression you were marrying him. Rings are not cheap and I think he deserves to get his investment back. Plus, why would you want a token and constant reminder of a failed engagement? Wait for the right man. Then you’ll get another ring that will symbolize what it’s supposed to

10 Likes

I thought it depends on who broke the engagement, if he did she keeps it, if she did she gives it back 🤷

1 Like

Depends on the state.

If it’s an heirloom you gotta give that back, otherwise it’s yours to keep

I gave it back willingly. I didn’t want the reminder.

2 Likes

The right thing to do is give it back.

2 Likes

Let him keep the ring

1 Like

On Judge Judy legally the man always gets the ring back unless the woman paid for it

2 Likes