If you are pregnant or nursing, did you get the COVID vaccine?

As a pharmacist and a mother, I would get it if available. Vaccines work by introducing a small amount of a weakened or dead version of the virus along with some chemicals (yes, I know this is what often upsets people) to help boost immune response. The immune response is what often makes people feel like they got the illness from the virus (slight fever, muscle soreness, fatigue, etc is how the body tries to stop invaders and is a good thing). It takes about 2 weeks for your body to produce a “full antibody response”. Children that are breastfeeding ingest and receive their antibody/immune response from their mother. In effect, the more that Mommy has been exposed to and is immune to, the more protection baby has while breastfeeding. This protection goes away a few weeks/months after breastfeeding ends.

At this time, we are not aware what the long term effect of the virus or vaccine might be. However, remember when we were young and had “chicken pox parties”? The thought was that children don’t have as bad a reaction as adults do. Now we know that once a person gets chicken pox (caused by varicella virus which children now get a vaccine for), it lives in the spinal column forever. When a person is stressed or has a reduced immune response (for whatever reason), it can flair up and that person will have an extremely painful and contagious episode of shingles. This is an example using a different virus, but one that has a vaccine option.

This choice must be made by each person or family, but I personally intend to have myself and my family vaccinated as soon as possible.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

Please wait until they know more about the vaccine, or talk to your doctor/midwife. I have heard they recommended pregnant women not to have it until they are more aware of side effects and what not. But please do what you think is best x

Trust your mama heart. And talk to your doctors. Do not make such an important decision by the views of all of these crazies on Facebook.

Their are no studies on the vaccine that include pregnant women

I would error on the side of caution as there has already been someone who has died from it

COVID-19 vaccination considerations for people who are breastfeeding

[There are no data on the safety of COVID-19 vaccines in lactating women or on the effects of mRNA vaccines on the breastfed infant or on milk production/excretion. mRNA vaccines are not thought to be a risk to the breastfeeding infant. People who are breastfeeding and are part of a group recommended to receive a COVID-19 vaccine, such as healthcare personnel, may choose to be vaccinated.](COVID-19 Vaccines While Pregnant or Breastfeeding)