I'm Pregnant and EXTREMELY Itchy *All* Over My Body: Should I Be Concerned?

Go to the doctor. Like now. It can be a sign of something severe like cholestasis

2 Likes

Call your dr could be cholestasis

Don’t know what causes that but boy I feel sorry for you

Definitely talk to your doctor! I would call this weekend and leave a message or talk to a nurse

This happened to me, it was a combination of super sensitive skin and vitamin deficiency. I can’t remember which ones though.

I had the same thing with my daughter (my first, I have 2) and I would mention it to your doctor, however the only relief I found was laying in a warm bath so I partially lived in my bathroom

Could be pupps. Harmless, but awful. Talk to your physician. Happy pregnancy!

Its cholestasis. I had it too

It could be from the weight of the baby pressing down on the vegas nerve down in our bottom…it releases histamines into the body causing itching. My Dr. told me that years ago…makes sense. Google the vegas nerve

Could be the pappp rash. I had it late in my pregnancies and it was awful, try a nonscented lotion when itchy instead of scratching and use a cold cloth too if you can, I found soaking in cold water when it was really bad helped calm it down cause your skin is inflamed… worth a shot hope it gets better for you! Also aloe Vera at night before bed If you can load it on as thick as you can.

I had something that sounds the same. I eventually came out in a rash and it turns out mine was linked to preeclampsia. Please be careful and speak to your doctor

2 Likes

I had it too, told it was to do with my hormones, was given antihistamines

I had that same issue and it ended up being Cholostasis. Your liver enzymes could be elevated. Definitely something you should call you Dr and make an appointment instead of waiting…it could get serious.

2 Likes

I had this with my third pregnancy-it was from prenatal vitamins,my system was overloaded because I was eating good,I didn’t need the vitamins…all was well 3 days later.

Definitely mention it to your doctor! There is a serious condition that has itching as one of the symptoms but I can’t remember right off the top of my head. My doctor had to test me for it.

I would call your Dr asap. Could be cholostasis which can be really serious. It doesn’t really sound like that but you def need to rule it out. They will probably want you in for blood work like Monday. In the meantime, benadryl is safe in pregnancy and may help the itch.

Have your doc check your liver function.

Pulse oatmeal in the blender until it is powdered. Put 1/4 to 1/2 cups in a tepid bath and soak for 15 minutes. Do not rinse. Just towel dry. This will releive itching for a while. Schedule an appointment with your physician and discuss this. Sounds like allergy and since it is all over it must be from something systemic like something you have eaten or breathed in. By the way it does not have to be something new. You only become allergic to something that you have been exposed to prior.

Get checked out for sure ASAP

I had cholestasis, so I had itchy hands and feet for the last week of my pregnancy

I also had PUPPS- Calamine lotion was my bff for that lol

This is a symptom hepatitis. My friend had it. It gets terrible during pregnancy

Pupps. Or have your Bile Acids checked.

I was induced 3 weeks early bc of my levels. But my ankles and feet itched. Nothing else.

Please get your liver levels checked let your doc know

2 Likes

Its cholestasis, go to the hospital.

1 Like

I’ve seen these comments and they’re a bit scary. I would say (and yes, it’s 100% safe or I wouldn’t be suggesting it) try taking some Benadryl. I have severe allergies to pretty much everything and I had to live on it when I was pregnant. I too had the itching like that and while I did consult my dr, they found nothing wrong and told me to take Benadryl as needed when the itching gets bad. Before you go thinking the worst and before going to the dr, try taking one or two Benadryl when it’s unbearable and see if that calms it or helps at all. If it does, it’s more than likely the hormonal changes your body is going through. Every couple of weeks I’d get it BAD and I had it super super bad after birth because of the epidural. It didn’t completely stop it, but it made the itch manageable.

Get your liver levels checked! I had super itchy hands and feet and they wanted to check that ASAP. It wasn’t that for me, but that is one of the main symptoms

1 Like

My cousin had an issue like this, where stomach acid/fluid leaks into her blood stream when she gets pregnant.

Could be PUPPS. I had it with my first starting around 25 weeks. My doctor gave me some steroid cream, but it didn’t help much lol. The itching was awful!! Literally vanished as soon as I gave birth.

It could be cholestasis of pregnancy. I had it. Another symptom is really dark yellow urine. Definitely get checked, just in case.

Same thing happened to me!! I had countless prescribed creams, steroid shots, antibiotics and nothing helped. Turns out it was “stress hives”. I literally had it on my toes to my scalp.

I had pupps with my first pregnancy… it was sooo bad talk to dr next visit … went away as soon as I gave birth

I had to use cooling aloe for a long time.

I had that same issue. Mine was PUPPS rash. Per my doctor it’s caused by hormones. He advised me to take benadryl. He said he could prescribe a steriod. Mine was so bad, it did cause me go into labor 20 days early. The day I went into I took about 4 showers, because the water eased me. I read some women used a soap called The Grandpa Soap to relieve their skin. After I gave birth it did go away but my skin has been way drier than before my pregnancy

Definitely say it to your Doctor at your next appointment.

Especially when you’re pregnant, just go to your doctor!

Talk to your doctor asap. I had the same thing and it was called cholestasis. Its awful. I scratched til i bled. It was unbearable. I feel for you. But def talk to the doctor. They had to induce me early.

3 Likes

U have to consult ur doctor asap he could run some blood work for u txt u for cholestasis

2 Likes

Defo tell ur Dr, it can be something to do with ur liver in pregnancy xx

Im a nurse.
It could possibly be Intrahepatic cholestasis.mild itching is normal. But severe itching isnt.
It has something to do with your liver acting up in late pregnancy that causes severe itching without a rash. So yes you should definatley tell your doctor about it.

1 Like

I’m 25 weeks as well and severely itchy if it doesn’t go away soon I’m going to ask my doc about it. It has only started since I had to have an iron infusion

You have extra blood flowing through your veins idk if that would cause itching

Could be an allergy :woman_shrugging:t4:

Check for cholestasis. I know someone that is pregnant and just got diagnosed with that during pregnancy and the main symptom was being super super itchy

6 Likes

Def time to call the doc. Could be a liver thing.

This sounds like cholestatis and you need to let your doctor know immediately. You need to be calling first thing Monday morning.

2 Likes

Call your dr ASAP that could be life threatening to you and your baby if it’s cholestasis

2 Likes

Yes, go see your doctor. Near the end of my pregnancy with my son I developed PUPPS. As soon as I delivered it went away.

1 Like

Tell your midwife or GP x

I had obstetric cholestasis with all my pregnancies. You need to ask for a Bile Acid test. Don’t let any other tests be the determining factor.

1 Like

You need to call your Dr.

I had that bad my first pregnancy, went to er 3 times,they said I was allergic to being pregnant, it didn’t happen my other pregnancy

Call the doctor asap when I had this one of the tubes to my kidneys was pinched and my iron was super low at the same time

I got that when I was around 25 weeks pregnant, and she’s 14 months old now and I still have it. Itching all over my body, every inch. After I had my daughter it would itch and the next day there would be scaly dry patches, and that’s still happening all these months later. I have absolutely no idea what it is, wish I did but it’s not just you if that helps lol

1 Like

I had cholestasis, I advise you see your doctor asap

I had cholestasis & it makes you unbearably itchy. You need to get blood work ASAP! I was induced at 36 weeks with my son because of it. It can be life threatening to the baby by 37 weeks.

4 Likes

Don’t wait until next appt, get checked for Cholestasis ASAP.

Do you find it’s worse on your hands and feet, I had this with 3 of my pregnancies and it was cholestasis,had to have a blood tests to check my liver function which confirmed and then induced 5 weeks early. It’s horrible as nothing relieves it yes as soon as the baby is born it goes away on it’s own. Definitely worth getting some bloods done as the levels will increase as your pregnancy progresses. (If it is) hope it’s not and good luck.

1 Like

Definitely sounds like cholestasis!!
Please contact your doctor asap, the test itself usually takes a few days to come back as is…

1 Like

Don’t. Scratch them u will have a lot of strech marks,it happened to me firat breast them someone adviced me not to scratch its your skin that is streching the belly and breast are growing

It may a Liver issue or some allergy… go to doc asap

Itching is normal during pregnancy but probably not if it’s severe. Talk to your doctor about it and see what they think. You know your body so you know if something is off.

Deff get checked. It’s probably cholestasis. I had it with my first. Had to get induced at 37 weeks.

1 Like

My dr told me to take warm oatmeal baths to relieve itching.

Tell your Dr… That’s a serious condition I do believe that can cause pre term labor

My cousins wife had this with all 4 pregnancies. Please talk to your dr ASAP

Yes i was sooo itchy while pregnant

Call your dr now! As so many pointed out cholestasis is very serious and potentially dangerous. And it’s always better safe than sorry when it comes to your health, so don’t wait until your next appt!

1 Like

Call Dr asap, this is not normal…good luck

I had this when I was pregnant with my first. Had a special blood test done and as it turned out I had elevated liver enzymes …they put me on a medication and it instantly went away

Wishing you luck! I had my boy at 36 weeks and diagnosed with cholestasis. All worked out fine. Just ask for blood test and doctor’s will take care of you.

You need to have some bloodwork done. Severe itching all over can be related to liver issues.

6 Likes

I had this! It drove me crazy & nobody including my drs could give me answers! They tested for things (I cant remember what they were testing for) but those tests came back negative. Sorry you are going through this & I wish you the best! I was totally healthy during pregnancy & baby came out completely healthy as well. It was so puzzling and maddening!!

1 Like

You should call ur gp my daughter had that and had to go in hosp

Please go to the doctor, I had this and had to be induced immediately at 36 weeks. :frowning:

Oh man, first pregnancy I had a bial issue where my stomach produced to much acid because of a liver issue so my hands and feet turned purple and were so itchy. Then my kidney valve inflamed after… was horrible. So do some blood work.
Third pregnancy I was itchy everywhere but everything was OK. :woman_shrugging:

Ask about PUPPS!!! Rare but it happens and it is miserable.

Ask your OBGYN it could be eczema or other type dermatitis issues. Only a trained medical Pychsian will know based on appearance and locations.

1 Like

Baby powder helped me

Go to the drs and have your liver levels tested. It’s not good. Very dangerous!!!

3 Likes

Please see your doctor and be tested. Severe itching in pregnancy can be very serious.

1 Like

I remember my skin always being itchy from the stretching. Lots and lots of cocoa butter and oils! Try to stay hydrated.

I had this. They did bloodwork and it all came back negative and just had to live itchy. But mention it to ur doctor! Could be liver problems

Call your dr asap! I had choleostasis in my first pregnancy.

3 Likes

I had itchy feet during my pregnancy, drove me crazy so i soakes them in epsom salts and used a foot cooling spritser

Call your doctor! I was itching my hands so bad I had welts. I went to the hospital and they told me fluid from my liver was leaking into my placenta which can be very very dangerous!

I scratched my hands, & thighs so much I bruised myself. My OB ended up giving a medication to take something like benadryl but made me drowsy so took a night and it helped alot!

I would call my Dr office and tell them what’s going on

My husband’s ex had something very similar when she was pregnant. I don’t know the medical terminology but she ended up in the hospital for the last 2-3 months of her pregnancy. If you’re experiencing what she had, it can be very dangerous to both mom and baby, with high risk of still born. Check with your doctor for sure on this!!

Go to the doctor ASAP. You can be in beginning stages of liver failure

2 Likes

It could be something called PUPPP. I had it during pregnancy. It acts a lot like cholestasis, but it’s normally benign.

I had to use a lot more lotion when I was pregnant. Get your levels checked but if not it could just be really dry skin.

Not sure if you have gone in or not, but I am 36 weeks and deal with the same thing, just not quite as extreme. Ask your doctor if it is Pupps. I get it, the scratching makes you feel crazy. You can’t stop. And I get no sleeping, doesn’t help the crazy. The put me on a topical steroid and also had me put on hydrocortisone cream. He said I could take benedryl or unisom, a low dose melatonin and Tylenol before bed. Hope u figure it out, if this isn’t it. It really is a terrible itch. Good luck!

1 Like

Get your liver function test (LFT) immediately. I had it and it was very risky

I had severe itching during my last pregnancy, I ended up having cholestasis and had to be induced early

Call your Dr ASAP! I had Cholestasis and was told I had to get induced or my baby would be still born.

1 Like

It’s called PUPPS I had it with my first. It’s so frustrating! Your dr can prescribe steroids to help.

I was the same way both of my pregnancies and they told me to use cream and use non scented washes

Sounds like cholestasis
Please get to your dr and get blood work!!! I had a friend lose her child over it i had it all my pregnancy!please get checked

I had that same problem when I was pregnant. But my blood work and all test came back normal . Doctor told me to use a certain loction to on the spot to keep me from making new cuts from scratching

Go see gp its can be linked to liver problems although rare so hopefully its nothing serious but please get checked