Is asking for help paying for a wedding cake a big deal?

I guess maybe unpopular opinion but if your kids ask for help and its not something that puts them or anyone else in danger then you help them🤷‍♀️

4 Likes

I’m thinking your family assumed with your commitment ceremony that you were foregoing a wedding. The wedding is sort of now having a recommitment ceremony or a vow renewal and it’s not typical or accepted to ask family to pay for those expenses. If you decide you want a traditional wedding, I think expecting family to help with costs is inappropriate if they haven’t offered.

1 Like

I paid for my wedding even cut out some things that were traditional. I didn’t expect my parents to pay for it.

1 Like

Go to the court house lol

2 Likes

I don’t understand families that don’t help each other :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I feel like there’s so much more to this that would paint a full picture of their reaction. For example are you two completely financially independent of your families in your day to day life? Are they living on fixed incomes or dealing with what the majority of the country has been dealing with over the last two years regarding financial instability? How many weddings have either of you had previous to this relationship and how much of that did they financially provide for? Etc. It just seems to me that there has to be more to the story because I cannot imagine anyone bursting out into tears over $30.00 to help pay for a wedding cake!

6 Likes

You decided to get married, not your parents. Pay for your own wedding :joy::joy::joy:

8 Likes

We aren’t living in the era of Mom & Dad will foot the bill. Everything is expensive & you have to work for what you want. You guys already had a ceremony ( Legal or not ) don’t be surprised when people already see you two as married. I think this is a lot of stress over a 60$ cake though.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You decided to get married. Pay for your own cake.

3 Likes

I would simply tell them to forgo a gift and that this could be their gift to you guys. It’s only $30 which isn’t bad at all. If they still choose to not help then it’s on you hun. My husband and I just got married over the weekend. We paid for everything ourselves up until the week of the ceremony when both his parents and my father offered to help. It was not needed but beautifully welcomed! We now had extra money to put towards our kid friendly honeymoon this week. :heart:

3 Likes

Make your own! It would be a fun thing for you and your hubby to do together. YouTube how to make a 3 or 4 tier wedding cake if you want it that big. And then buy the different size pans, box cake mix, the cake icing spatula (got mine at Walmart for like $3), and some store bought buttercream/cream cheese frosting… Then grab a couple bundles of fake flowers or some sort of decor you’d like and put it together. I recommend freezing your cake layers after they have baked cooled completely. Wrap em in plastic wrap and throw em in the freezer. Then pull them out a couple hours before frosting. But YouTube how to do it. Good tips and pointers! You could probably even order premade size cakes to assemble if it’s far enough in advance to get them before the wedding?

4 Likes

I helped pay and organize my parents vow renewal. People gave gifts and donated food. My parents would help me with absolutely anything. I don’t understand these kinds of relationships.

6 Likes

Unpopular opinion but it’s your wedding… you pay for it. My husband and I paid for everything for our wedding. You shouldn’t expect other people to have to pay for your stuff. Especially when you already had a ceremony.

6 Likes

It’s just a cake…….don’t call off the whole thing over a cake….

I agree with the comment above me about you guys making your own cake together.

2 Likes

Do what makes y’all happy and don’t expect anything from anyone :heart::heart: Congratulations! :champagne::tada::balloon:

2 Likes

Don’t. Let. It. Stop you. It’s. A bout. Love. Not. Cake

2 Likes

I feel like if you live together and do the married life thing for years before you actually get married, then parents shouldn’t have to help pay for the wedding. $30 ain’t much, and if it were me I’d just hand it over without a fuss. But maybe they don’t really have it in the budget.

4 Likes

That’s just crazy to me your parents should help in anyway they can, I know if it were my kids I would… I got lucky and didn’t pay for one, we got married at our church and the church was more than happy to pay for our cake without us even asking. There is nothing wrong with you asking for a little assistance, I think it’s rude of them to make you feel bad for it.

If the haven’t offered then don’t ask.

3 Likes

If you can’t afford it then don’t do it

2 Likes

If you two arent financially stable/Independent and couldnt afford a cake, u better think abt getting married. I think theres a lot more reason behind why they dont want to help.

4 Likes

Ill pray to god u get that cake if i could help i would i understand how it feels to have parents that dont interfere with help of things are do they care about the grandkids they pick and choose i would of loved my parents to pay for mine so what i did was get a regular rosed up cake from walmart and we will get remarried with it blessed with a real cake and i wasnt even able to wear my dress so i will one day do that i will wearcthat dress even if its on my death day because i love my husband that much so ill pray for yall and congratulations

PM me your address. I’m a romantic and would be happy to help.

6 Likes

And yes…you should absolutely do this​:rose::tulip::heart:

3 Likes

My mom lives month by month and still would have happily gave me 30$ for my wedding cake. Wow. And she doesn’t even like my boyfriend. But me and my ex husband made our cake together, cute a little sloppy but his aunts gave it all the compliments.

1 Like

Pay for your own already together 6 yesrs…

4 Likes

This post seems pretty petty. You’re adults that should be able to pay for your own events.

4 Likes

Okay many questions here, is this your first wedding for one, second if you are one who has waited until your 30s to get married and your parents had you in their late 30s they may not be able to pay for your wedding without mortgaging their house. So if this is your first wedding and you have older parents that are not loaded you have to bite the bullet on this one and pay!

You’ve invested hundreds of dollars but can’t swing an extra $60 for the cake?

14 Likes

Go ahead and get married I would tell both sides not to bother to come we don’t need you or your gifts being they seam to not want to Comme

4 Likes

Honestly… you shouldn’t have asked in the first place, unless they’re offering to pay for it themselves :slight_smile:

1 Like

Elope you don’t have to have a big wedding, lots of people can’t afford a wedding

6 Likes

I cant believe what I just read honestly!!! Your actually contemplating not getting married because others will not pay for your cake. Be thankful people want to share in the occasion with you PERIOD! Getting married isnt about gifts and who can buy more. It’s about love and a life together. Isnt that enough!! Grow up and pay for your own crap. Go to walmart buy a cake mix some oil and a few eggs and mix it up yourself. A cake doesnt make a wedding. Love does.

17 Likes

It’s not your parent’s responsibility to pay for your wedding in today’s standards. If you can’t afford it, you shouldn’t be doing it. No one is marrying you off, no one is paying a dowry, If you can’t afford the cake that you want, maybe consider down grading.

5 Likes

If my parents couldn’t or just didn’t want to pay for something for my wedding, I’d leave it at that. They said no, or ignored you. You got your answer. But also I would be hurt that my family wouldn’t help me if I asked. In my family we don’t ask. We offer. So that’s kinda sad.

3 Likes

No you shouldn’t be doing this if it’s all about a freaking cake

4 Likes

I see nothing wrong with it! My son is getting married next year and I want to help in any way I can, financially, physically etc etc. I’ve been looking forward to my children’s wedding since before they were born lol I hope neither my son or his bride to be have a problem asking me for help ever.

6 Likes

Both of your parents suck! I would help you pay for a cake in a heart beat!

It’s not there responsibility to fund your wedding, that’s your choice and responsibility

5 Likes

Tf is a commitment ceremony?? Anyway lol… I mean I don’t think it’s the responsibility of parents to pay for a wedding. It’s an old tradition yes, but with the cost of weddings now I think it’s insane to expect anything from anyone. The biggest question I have is A. Where tf did you find a $60 wedding cake lol and B. You can’t fork up $60 for a cake? This sounds like a bs story to me with many details left out.

14 Likes

First a commitment ceremony and party, now a wedding ceremony and party… how much and many times do your parents, family and friends need to celebrate your love with gifts and money …
Next it’ll be baby shower gifts, Christening gifts, first birthday, then second kid … ughh
Buy your own cake

9 Likes

Pay for your own. You spent hundreds and can’t afford a cake? Someone I know set up a gofundme to pay for their wedding and still bought their stuff - if you can’t afford your wedding don’t have one :woman_facepalming:t3:

4 Likes

Elope to Vegas an gi have some fun instead

1 Like

Really, what’s $60 to you? Seems a tad ridiculous!

5 Likes

Have a date night and make a cake together that is love not making your parents feel bad for not helping you out. They may have a reason to why they can’t.

3 Likes

No, go elope. U have been married for 3 years already.

3 Likes

In my Family the parents of the Bride pays for everything but we decided to pay for it all we got everything for a cake and my cousin made it and we had a beautiful wedding for less than a thousand dollar’s :slight_smile: maybe make your own cake they have cool stuff really cheap In some stores :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Send the gifts back and uninvite them. Tbh I like the idea of JOP wedding and spend money on a small party and most money on a honeymoon.

1 Like

I have read it all now :roll_eyes::roll_eyes: buy it yerselves pay for ur own wedding and cake and everything else like most of us in the real world have to!!!

3 Likes

If you have been together for 6 years and are just now getting married, I think you should pay for the wedding yourself ,if the parents want to help ,that would be totally up to them

1 Like

Technically speaking, they’re not absolutely required to pay for anything. If they won’t, then they won’t. No need to guilt trip them just because you asked on a mom page. You can either make your own cake or go a much cheaper route. Sheet cakes from Walmart are only like $20, you can probably find a way to scrape any undesirable looking icing off and decorate it how you want. :woman_shrugging: Don’t be afraid to look into cheaper and alternative routes.

2 Likes

Here’s an idea hear me out. maybe instead of spending a ton of money on one you could go to the store and get cakes that are made stack them on top of each other with rods in there to help hold it steady. Cheaper and you get to decorate how you want it do a smaller wedding save the rest for a honey moon !!:heart::blush::blush:

1 Like

Pay your own cake. Jeeso :rofl:

3 Likes

If both sides of the family are hurting so badly that $30 is asking a lot, then no, you shouldn’t be asking. If you can’t afford it yourself, then go cheaper… No shame in that. Dress nice, take lots of pictures and enjoy your day.

8 Likes

You cant afford $60… otherwise tell them if they " want" to buy a gift give $ towards the cake.

1 Like

It’s your responsibility to pay for everything in your wedding. Youe parents aren’t the ones getting married so why should they pay for any of it. I know $30 from them isn’t a lot but still it’s your responsibility. If you want them to get you a cake make that your wedding present and let them get what ever cake they want. You should have saved that money from your commitment ceremony for your cake.

So tell them they aren’t invited

2 Likes

All I gotta say is if someone wants to be horrible to you then they can also not be invited to the wedding

3 Likes

Make your own cake if you want a big one so desperately. I got married in Feb, no guests, no food wasted, no unnecessary alcohol bill, no booking of an overly expensive venue. No ungrateful family & friends complaining about everything that they didn’t pay for. And I will have my cake & eat it alone :grimacing:

10 Likes

I would do a destination wedding then for yourselves and anyone important could come or not.

Why do you need a cake?

1 Like

I couldn’t fathom being together 6 years, paying for a wedding, and then asking for money for a SIXTY DOLLAR cake :skull:

20 Likes

Sorry, I can’t get over the entitlement here…:woman_facepalming:t2: It is NOT your parents or friends or anyone else’s responsibility to pay for any part of your wedding, even if it is ONLY contributing to paying foe the cake.
Oh and it does NOT matter how much YOU have already spent on YOUR wedding.

4 Likes

make cupcakes - instant cake mix $4 (assuming you have eggs at home), cupcake liners $1.50, icing sugar $2…simple. it will cost $10 tops

1 Like

Uhhhhh I don’t know anyone’s parents who DIDNT contribute to a wedding. It has nothing to do with entitlement

16 Likes

Ummmm…im not trying to be rude but if you’re willing to just say nahhh nevermind we shouldn’t get married over 60.00 for a cake then just walk away now. Your parents are being selfish indeed but i wouldn’t throw away a relationship with someone whom you obviously love because of it! That is ridiculous

I paid for my entire wedding. It’s not your parents responsibility. If you can’t afford it don’t have a party.

4 Likes

Uuuummm last I checked you paid for your own wedding. They gave you life.

My daughter and her then fiance paid for their wedding and then her father and I paid for their honey moon.

Walmarts make as nice wedding ak.

2 Likes

I definitely think that’s crappy that no one has offered but at the same time youve been living together and doing everything as a married couple would do for six years.

3 Likes

You know some of you people are pretty rude. She is upset because her parents don’t think she’s worth the money. Take from someone with very little money I would find a way to give kids the money. Most people spend more then that on crap they don’t even need.

If $60 is making you guys second guess your wedding then you shouldn’t be getting married at all.

17 Likes

work a couple hours overtime…boom there is ur cake money

5 Likes

Uninvite their asses

Do a go fund me. I guarantee the minute you post it someone will say…why do you have to ask…its such a small amount…etc. If your parents don’t get made to feel like assholes then I’ll be surprised.

You don’t get married for the “party” it’s not the parents responsibility to help with the wedding at this late date of after your ceremony of the first time

4 Likes

Save 5.00 each week from your pay check and 5.00 from his pay check for Sept and Oct there’s your 60. Dollars plus 20 hanging over.

5 Likes

Then I would tell them don’t worry about it no cake then or charge them to eat it

Commitment ceremony? And parents crying over 30 dollars? What in the Methamphetamine? Lmao.

21 Likes

If you can’t afford it, why not just get married at the court? Gather the families, and friends eat all together at the restaurant afterwards. It’s not needed, it’s just something that you want. But it’s not necessity. I don’t expect people to pay for my stuffs or our stuffs. Asking and offering are two different things. But I don’t expect anything from anyone… just saying.

3 Likes

Pay for it yourself… In fact go to the court house and get married. Save that money to purchase a house or invest in something.

6 Likes

Omg! Over 30.00 and it’s your parents!? Is this a true story?

2 Likes

It’s $60…. Just pay it and move on.

4 Likes

Simplemente no puedo traducirlo!
Son personas horribles los que opinan que deberĂ­an cobrarlos por invitarlos a su matrimonio o que sus padres deberĂ­an darles el dinero para el pastel. Adivinen quĂŠ? Ellos no tienen la obligaciĂłn econĂłmica para hacerlo, tambiĂŠn no saben el trasfondo de por quĂŠ no quiere o pueden hacerlo! Su matrimonio deberĂ­a ser un momento lleno de amor y alegrĂ­a, es un momento familiar, y no hay nadie mĂĄs familiar y que se merezca un puesto en la mesa que mĂĄs PERSONAS QUE LOS CRIARON: HAN ESTADO CON USTEDES DURANTE LA SALUD, LA ENFERMEDAD, EN LAS BUENAS Y EN LAS MALAS, PARA BIEN O PARA MAL!

Sinceramente no puedo, son tan egoĂ­stas y tan ciegos para llamarlo amor propio.

1 Like

In MY opinion & traditionally it’s the brides parents who pay for their daughters wedding !!! I don’t think it’s asking too much for help with the cake!! They are getting off easy !! I feel jus so sorry you are having to deal with cheap selfish parents on both sides. Hope they come around & do the right thing. BTW CONGRATULATIONS on your marriage. Good luck, best wishes

6 Likes

You shouldn’t be getting married right now if you can’t afford it. This wedding is no ones responsibility except for yours and your partners. Unless they offered to help.

6 Likes

I’m so sorry. I was lucky enough to have my amazing Auntie offer to buy my 3 tier cake and matching cupcakes for my wedding. We were originally going to bake it ourselves. Perhaps ask them to buy your cake instead of getting a gift. Or get a smaller gift and pitch in for the cake

1 Like

It’s just cake. If they don’t want to help, make one yourself or buy one at the grocery store. If you cannot afford to pay for it yourselves, then don’t have it. Again, it’s just cake.

3 Likes

This is why we didn’t tell anyone when we got married. 2 witnesses, our daughter who was 2 and that’s it. All pictures taken on my iPhone which to be honest came out brilliant. Plain not expensive wedding rings and I wore a evening maxi dress for my wedding dress. And our after do was a nice meal in a pub. No fuss no muss. How we wanted it, no moaning no comparison with other weddings

1 Like

Terri Rector Bradley Took he words put of my mouth! I agree they are getting off easy! It’s not like they are asking for thousands of dollars from both sides! The parents should be grateful and not whining over having to bring a gift!

Congratulations to the Bride and Groom! I hope they come around and that your day is everything you want it to be! :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

They shouldn’t have to pay for it but the fact they won’t says something and I would just remember that 🤷 if my son got married I would give him $30 for cake, it’s not a lot and I’m gonna get a big piece and assuming other refreshments as a guest.

1 Like

$60 for a cake is pretty cheap where I live. Not sure of their circumstances but $30 each and nothing else doesn’t seem much. Look just pay it yourselves and then you don’t have to feel bad when you “forget” to mention them in the speaches.
P.s. Congratulations to you both!
Life lesson- Don’t sweat the small stuff

2 Likes

We got a 3 tier cake from sales for 70$ and it’s gonna be amazing.

This reminds me of when people have gender reveal parties AND baby showers. If you had a commitment ceremony 3 years ago, everyone already went to your “wedding.” Save the money and stress and go get married at the courthouse and have a small party with homemade potluck stuff.

15 Likes

Gali Velazquez Murica

1 Like

Also, feeling like maybe you shouldn’t even do it seems a little bit dramatic of a reaction to your parents not wanting to buy the cake. Other folks monetary help shouldn’t be a deciding factor.

1 Like

I would go to the court house and not invite any of them.

2 Likes

I just can’t fathom any mother NOT wanting to help with her daughters wedding, even if it’s just $30 for the cake. I’ve had 2 daughters get married so far, and another is getting married next year. I have happily spent hours making decorations etc and spent WAY more than $30 on each of them. I don’t feel that any of them felt “entitled” asking me for help, I’m their mom, and I want nothing more than to make that day as special as possible for them, as it should be for any bride.

12 Likes

Fanily should want to help… idk why a mother wouldn’t want to help her daughter with 30 dollars.

Luckily my husband and I had my family to help with our wedding. We had already started planning our wedding when we found out I was pregnant so we had to move up our wedding cause I wouldn’t have fit in my wedding dress by the wedding date. So on top of wedding planning we now had to save for our daughter. We paid less than 200 ourselves.