Is it bad to eat deli meat while pregnant?

How bad is it to eat a small deli sandwich from Subway? I got it heated in the oven… Just worried about my little baby. Stuck at the hospital today (for my nephew’s surgery) and had nothing to eat, so I got that (can’t believe they have have Subway in the hospital!) The meat was not very good, so I started tearing it out the sandwich towards the end… but still. Worried I don’t want to hurt him or cause him to have any problems after birth.

56 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it bad to eat deli meat while pregnant?

My doctor said as long as it’s heated up it’s safe

I ate deli meat throughout both of pregnancies and everything was fine. It wasn’t an everyday things, but when the cravings hit … well, I gave in lol

2 Likes

I ate a lunch meat sandwich almost everyday of both of pregnancies with zero issues. Don’t stress.

6 Likes

I ate deli meat with all 6 of my kids an their all fine. An I didn’t fry or heat the meat up bcuz that was nasty to me

4 Likes

I think it is just in case there’s bacteria… I ate it with all my pregnancies and craved bologna and I ate it cold. Never got sick

I’m like what . Is this a thing ??? lol I’m over here 5 months pregnant eating assorted subs from mr sub lol

2 Likes

You can. But risk getting sick. And harming your babe. So its preferences.

You will be fine I promise I craved Blimpie subs my entire pregnancy with both my girls. Both are happy and healthy

I ate subway through a lot of my pregnancy lol. Toasted. But it was like the only thing I wanted

I ate deli meat with all of my pregnancies. Everything was fine. I never heat deli meat.

1 Like

“Which deli meats are safe during pregnancy?
Listeria is killed by pasteurization and cooking. Cold cuts are now sprayed with a food additive that helps prevent Listeria before packaging. You don’t need to panic if you are pregnant and have been eating deli meats. The probabilities are in your favor that nothing has happened.”

6 healthy pregnancies full of way more Togo’s and Subway than I should admit :joy:

2 Likes

So long as the meat was heated, you should be fine. I always tend to forget to heat my sandwich meat and I’ve had healthy pregnancies :smiling_face:

I would get the foot long sandwiches with all of my pregnancies all the time, especially my first. My doctor never told me not to eat deli meat. :woman_shrugging:t3:

6 Likes

Just get it toasted to be extra safe. It’s not as dangerous as it use to be.

What is this whole “can’t eat deli meat” thing? Some new age hype that’s fake news?

8 Likes

It’s bc of the bacteria listeria. because pregnancy weakens your body’s immune system and ability to fight disease. As long as it’s heated and not a lot of it you’ll be just fine :black_heart:

1 Like

Yes I was told what foods to avoid but yes I was told to heat up deli meat but you know I have had 3 babies and I eat what I wanted and stuff I wasn’t allowed I ate and drank stuff I wasn’t because I forgot what foods and drinks to stay away from.

I ate peanuts, deli meat without heating it up, drank energy drink, alcohol, junk food, take aways and all 3 pregnancies where healthy with healthy sized babies.

My first baby was born at 38+2 weeks weight 6lbs 12oz, my second baby was born at 39+2 weeks weight 9lbs 12oz and my third baby was born at 39 weeks exactly weighting at 10lbs 14oz.

Heated is fine. Lunch meat can have listeria, which is why it needs heated first. Listeria can cause miscarriage, preterm birth and stillbirth.

2 Likes

My doctor said Subway was fine occasionally aslong as it’s toasted, I just had one tonight. It’s one of my main cravings!

1 Like

I ate subway while pregnant I didn’t know you wasn’t supposed too

3 Likes

I had a cold cut sub obsession with my first lol everything was fine. I needed a cold cut sub every night after work or else I’d be up all night cranky I didn’t have one.

2 Likes

I’ve been told by my Dr. to stay away from preservatives lunch meet,hotdogs,sausages they are harmful to ur body. In my case is my liver. Everyone is different.

I was told that as long as you heat it up enough it’s fine. I was microwaving my deli meat for sandwiches my whole last pregnancy because it’s all I wanted to eat lol

Toasted Sammies are fine :slight_smile:

If you heat it, it’s ok.

I ate the enchilada melt like twice a week when i was preggo. I got to know the ladies at my local subway and they were so extra sweet.

Here to say I’m a mother of 3 and never heated the deli meat…there is always something …what’s next. You could eat and do everything perfect and if it’s in God’s plan to have a baby with health problems.

10 Likes

I avoid the sodium content, but your good! They have many ways of curing that these days! :heart:

I never once heated up my lunch meat while pregnant with any of my 3. I can’t stand it heated up. I did all the thing they said you’re not supposed to do include ingesting caffeine. My kids are all perfectly healthy.

6 Likes

I’m a mother of 6 never once in my entirety of my pregnancies ever heated lunch meat up before eating it. Honestly just eat it if it’s what’s available and even if you’re craving it. You will be fine.

3 Likes

I was craving a cold meat sandwich so bad when I was pregnant so I just went and got a yummy italian sandwich from the deli, I doubt having the occasional one will cause an issue. Just go to a place that serves good food

1 Like

All my pregnancies have been high risk and my Dr has always told me any food is good in moderation. Including fresh cheese, deli meat, fish. Talk to your OB

1 Like

You’ll be ok. Toasted sandwiches are ok.

I’ve never heard of such a thing.

3 Likes

Deli meat is one of those situations that has became an excessive myth twisted… You can absolutely eat deli meat! Granted every person in situation is different but most cases in my experience and from my knowledge have eaten deli meat throughout pregnancy with moderation

ma’am i ate sushi while pregnant, im pretty sure a heated up sub won’t hurt anything. Subway in general is just a low quality food so 9/10 it doesn’t taste great​:melting_face::skull:

1 Like

I’d before worried if this said meat was in your fridge for days and then ate it. But it was fresh meat and heated up. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I’d definitely not stress over a sandwich for sure. If your not throwing up or having bowl issues let it go.
All.my pregnancies I ate cold lunch meat chessboards tuna eggs. Lord knew I was fixing to get fat if anything lol :laughing: but I just made sure all the foods were fresh and my areas fit cooking were clean and sanitary conditions.

1 Like

I mean they recommend but I didn’t with either of mine

After every pregnancy I said I wanted an Italian sub from Publix,
gotta make sacrifices. That was one of mine, the things we do for our children.

When I was pregnant, I got them all the time. We double toasted and everything was just fine :person_shrugging: infact, the day of me going into the hospital, it was my 38 week appointment, and the Dr had given me a gift card for subway as a thank you for choosing him as my ob, and he came in to check me and does the thing, then says “you might wanna go ahead and pick that up, then i need you to go straight to the hospital, you’re in labor and you’re 4 cm, they’re not gonna let you eat anything once you get there” :flushed: so I did, and we went and she was born at 1am that night :rofl:

I ate lunch meat all the time with my 3 kids… that’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard

4 Likes

It’s fine lovey don’t stress :heart:. I took a trip to south east Asia and didn’t realise I was pregnant . I was eating the street food ect and both bub and I survived

Bologna & potted meat :sunglasses:,&OHhh,I craved BACON…They wasn’t " Sickly ’ kids, Oh ,& they Scored Decent on their ACT’S…One Scored 24 & one Score 26or27?..I often wondered if Id Left that potted meat alone,They might been in Harvard…Thank Goodness They got their Smarter From ME :sunglasses::rofl::smirk::joy:

1 Like

I was never told one way or the other. And my obgyn knew everything I ate.

You can eat deli meat, you just have to heat it up

Ma’am I had a Turkey Tom from Jimmy Johns almost everyday with watermelon in my third trimester because it’s all I could stomach. Everything else sounded so unappealing and gross because I was so pregnant and it was summer and so ungodly hot outside…my son came out just fine and is a perfectly healthy almost 2 year old who also loves deli meat (ham specifically) :sweat_smile:. The chances are so so so low of whatever type of sickness or bacteria you could get.

1 Like

The concern pertains to the increased risk of listeria/salmonella infection. I’m currently 36 weeks and my doctor has told me that if it’s cooked it is okay to eat deli meat because it lessens the risk of potentially contracting either. However, one time throughout your entire pregnancy (if you don’t plan to eat it again) should be perfectly fine. Just monitor how you feel over the next day or two, worst case scenario.

1 Like

They say heated Eli meat is perfectly fine. I ate cold deli meat with both of my pregnancies and never had any issues though

I ate lunch meat all the time while pregnant. The risk of Listeria is actually super low. If youre that worried about it heat it up first

I ate anything & everything I wanted, kids r all fine and healthy.
I always heard if ur craving it there’s something in it your body needs.

4 Likes

No deli meat is new-ish. My oldest 2 it wasn’t a thing. When I got pregnant in 2011 worth my 3rd all of a sudden it was an issue. You’re baby will be fine.

5 Likes

You are ha better chance of getting listeria from lettuce, go for it I did and everything was fine!

5 Likes

I think so many moms do way more unhealthy things than eat a cold cut sandwich every so often the baby will be ok

1 Like

Yes when pregnant and your Dr will tell u this

1 Like

We literally ate anything in our era, none of our babies were unhealthy, i think its like everything else now dont do this do that blah blah blah, only think frowned upon obviously was smoking and alcohol as well it should be

4 Likes

I ate subway while pregnant with both my kids

You will be fine you are stressing over nothing :joy:

I always find this funny’s. You can’t eat deli meat but yet you can have drink wine​:rofl::rofl:. All of the things your worried about with deli meat you can catch in other ways and are more likely than eat a pieces of ham.

1 Like

That wasn’t even a thing when I was pregnant.

8 Likes

Lord help this new generation of mamma please. Eat the dang sandwich and enjoy it :rofl:

6 Likes

I had subway during both my pregnancies

Not Eating cold deli meats is because of higher risk of getting sick from the bacteria that can be on it which can cause risk to the pregnancy. All these people laughing is a bit much, and a lot of you seem to not know the reason for it. You can eat it as long as the meat is heated well.

9 Likes

Moderation

I craved cold cuts and hotdogs with ketchup lol

Subway is terrible for you!

1 Like

You will be ok I craved mcdonalds cheeseburgers the whole time and I ate them damn things. Many people that I know that really took all that serious their baby had some issue so I ate what I wanted to.

you’re fine! they just don’t want you to have it 24/7. don’t stress! everything is gonna be fine! that’s not enough to do anything to you or your baby.

4 Likes

I apologize on behalf of all the boomer (and yes I know they prolly aren’t boomers but they sure do sound like them :rofl: and act like ‘em now too) on here talking shit. Some people are too small minded to understand they still have room to learn better ways to do things. They don’t understand innovation or that knowledge is power!

You’ll be fine as long as you don’t eat sandwiches every single day

As long as it’s heated - you can eat deli meat!! You just aren’t supposed to eat it right out of the fridge! Honestly, I CRAVED deli meat, my entire pregnancy for two of my kids!! And I ate it, and nothing happened.

3 Likes

They served me deli ham and cheese sandwiches (not toasted) at least twice a week when I was pregnant with my twins and on bedrest in the hospita😅 they were born healthy.

1 Like

I craved chicken and cheese sandwiches my entire first pregnancy. And I ate it too. My kid is happy, healthy, and brilliant. Eat the sandwich.

I ate deli meat was just fine. I ate spinach while pregnant and got Listeria poisoning

Absolutely nothing wrong with subway

Nothing will happen to the baby ,it just feeds off nutrients through umbilical cord baby doesn’t eat the actual food u consume only alcohol is harmful

2 Likes

I am absolutely not a doctor but I will say I ate lunch meat cold with my first pregnancy and now with this pregnancy and everything is fine. There’s a risk of listeria being in the lunch meat so they advise you to heat it up first. You’ll be ok. Don’t stress! :heart::heart:

I ate anything I wanted and my kids are perfectly fine. They say just to warm it up, even if you put it back in the refrigerator to get cold again because there’s a bacteria that grows and can harm baby.

Listeria is a bacteria that can be on cold deli meats. Heating before eating kills any potential bacteria and makes it safe. You are fine!

3 Likes

I got sick with my last pregnancy from deli meat. With all 3 of my pregnancies I was told not to eat deli meat ( didn’t listen lol) unless it’s been heated. So just heat it up lol

I ate subway while I was pregnant and my little girl is healthy, and I mean I ate the whole foot long and some sandwiches here and there but they just don’t want you to eat it all the times

It’s to prevent listeriosis which can harm a fetus at any age (can cause miscarriage at 8 months etc.) and to limit nitrate exposure to the fetus.
Listeriosis is rare but harmful. Some say to microwave or cook deli meats before eating it.

You’re fine…ive been craving sandwiches this pregnancy so I asked my Dr. This the other week and he said it’s fine in moderation.

If this helps, I ate a subway sandwich in active labour and it didn’t make him come out any faster

(he was 10weeks early and it wasn’t because of anything I ate)

You aren’t supposed to eat cold lunch meat but honestly your risk is no different than your risks with anything else. Even taking Tylenol. I personally lived off lunchmeat while pregnant with my 2nd daughter. Turkey was the only thing that wouldn’t spike my sugars.

2 Likes

It was heated up your fine

My doctor told me no cold deli meat. But that was 3 years ago

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $17448… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://ClickIntoWealth187.pages.dev/

I ate deli sandwiches with all three of my kids. No issues.

1 Like

I honestly really want to thank Mr. Joshua Bunker who has brought so much light to my life, my family and visions through his trading platform bsvtrading-btcearnings.com. Although I’ve been working on this for a long time. Mr. Bunker, has helped me a lot through Bitcoin Investment Trade. I so much made it grow up to this point. Here is my dream shop and it’s 100% completed. With the help of Mr. Joshua, I’ve completed it quicker than expected.
I’m blessed with a shop :house_with_garden:, I’m really grateful to have Joshua Bunker in my life :revolving_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::tada:
Big love from Indianapolis :partying_face::handshake:t2:
Contact him via his link- Redirecting...

1 Like

In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is desire. No reasons or principle contain it or stand against it. Never stop believing in yourself.
When others doubt, don’t you. I never knew I could make such a huge amount of money with my little investment in Bitcoin, I’m so proud of Sir Joshua Bunker trading strategies and techniques. I’ll continue to invest under his mentorship and platform because God has used him to bless my home and my lovely family.

After leaving my previous job 6 months ago, i’ve had some good luck to learn about this website which was a life-saver for me… They offer job for which people can work online from their house. My latest paycheck after working for them for 4 months was for $17448… Amazing thing about is that the only thing required is simple typing skills and access to internet…

Read all about it here… https://ClickIntoWealth199.pages.dev/

You’re fine if you got turkey or chicken according to my OB when I was pregnant. The thought of deli meat made me sick to my stomach so I couldn’t eat it

1 Like

My dr never told me what to not eat
I ate everything and my three kids had no issues

4 Likes

I was stuck on corned beef on rye with my 3rd baby. Even had one on my way to the hospital :sweat_smile: no problem.

1 Like

Just eat what ever the hell you want within reason.

4 Likes

Crypto Trading has changed my life. I always wondering why everyone trade with Mr. Joshua Bunker platform always giving out good testimonies but now I believe… Crypto trading is a profitable business only when you are trading with the right strategy platform. Your profit is always 100% secure I couldn’t believed my eyes when i saw my profit! I have no idea how to return the favour of the good work of Mr. Joshua Bunker . However, this is like a gift sent from God. Thank you so much Sir, I’m so grateful
:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

1 Like

Don’t be among the multitude that gave up so easily because of rumor and bad experience. know ur worth and strive for the best. invest with Mr. Joshua Bunker and get your profit without hindrance or unnecessary fees, i just wanna let you know there is still competent mining expert. Bitcoin has been making people Rich and God bless Sir. Joshua for this amazing opportunity​:point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down::point_down:

Honesy you should be fine I craved lunch meats during my pregnancy I made sure to heat it up before eating it or I made sure the meats were freshly opened nothing over 2-3 days

Any deli meat is bad, no matter where you buy it.!

I ate turkey and chicken in moderation durning my pregnancies and everything was fine. I think your totally fine.