Is it better to have kids back to back?

Is it best to have your children back to back so they grow up together?

9 Likes

I had 2 within 14 months of each other. Best friends until around 8 or 9 then school friends

1 Like

Idk I have 6 back to back and my house is a zoo and a playground.Never a dull moment.I am blessed but its not easy❤

3 Likes

It’s not easy but it’s amazing that they have one another mine are 15 months apart

1 Like

My girls are going to be 11 months apart, I think OBs say they would like to see 18 months because it gives your body time to heal especially after a c section

I don’t think there is a way better than another. The best way is just what you want and what you decide is best for you family!

5 Likes

Yes! My boys 23month apart, cant live wthout eachother! They can live without us (parents) but without eachoter nope! All things they do together, from going to bathroom together to eating together, homework etc

I have 3 kids 5 years apart. I think no matter which way you choose to go you will have issues. The issues would be different so you need to decide what you can handle. I like that each of mine had their chance to be the baby in the family and not having 2 in high school at the same time helps out financially.

5 Likes

I have a 6,4,2 and a newborn (8days old) I wouldn’t trade it for the world they keep me on my toes but I love it

1 Like

I have one older and two back to back…if I had to do it all again I wouldn’t have the age gap

1 Like

Mine are 22 months apart and it has not been easy :sweat_smile:

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they fight a lot. But they are also extremely loving. It is just all about teaching them HOW they should treat each other. But they are little and learning and I can tell they mean a lot to one another. I also have my last on the way. And 2 older step daughers. All girls and all drama! It’s just about taking it day by day and overlooking the small things :two_hearts:

My son is 8, my daughter is almost 2 weeks. I felt like the toddler stages were harder and I couldn’t imagine having kids close in age. My plan was to have another once my first was out of diapers. But life doesn’t always go according to plan. I don’t like such a huge gap. But I’m glad my son can get his own cereal or make himself a sandwich. He can shower himself and goes to bed when I tell him to. Toddlers dont, and newborns are needy.

2 Likes

My oldest 2 are 7 and almost 5 they have a love hate relationship but ultimately they love eachother and it is such a sweet thing to watch them play together and bond… my youngest is only 3month so we will see how a age gap is, so far it is amazing they love the baby

Mine are 31/2 years apart. Hes 3 ( 1/1/17) and my 1 month old girl ( 5/17/20)

May I suggest a puppy instead?

2 Likes

I have a 3 and a 2 year old, 10 months apart. And due in less than a month with my 3rd girl. I think it’s good for them socially and learning to share, they def have their moments but I love watching their sisterly bond and I selfishly love the fact I won’t be 50+ attending graduations lol

Mine are 14 months apart and it became hell once they hit 1 and 2.

1 Like

I have two back to back and one younger. The two are very close and the little one is lonely so yes, back to back is great.

My boys are 9 years apart. They are super close. My 12 year loves going to spend the night at his brother’s house. They still had a chance to grow up together too.

1 Like

Yes especially if they’re the same gender save on buying clothes if you’re lucky they can all wear the same sizes. All girls here, I love that they all share clothes lol.

My daughter will be 2 years and 2/3 months when my second is born.
My brother and I are 13 years apart and we get along great!!

Yes. They have the same interests (usually) and can play together more easily.

My two, girl and boy, are 18 mos apart and it is awesome! They play well together, have the same circle of friends, overall makes it so easy for me. I wouldn’t have it ANY other way even though I didnt feel ready when #2 surprised me.

I have a 9 and 10 year old their birthdays are 2 weeks apart he turns 10 in July and she’s 11 in August I also have 15 and 13 year old no bloody different I would suggest a gap just so you can have a bit of a break

My three oldest are 3 and a half yrs a part. My youngest caught and son are seven years apart.

They are siblings. They will never get along but always be there for each other.

I waited until all mine were out of diapers at 2 and independent enough before I started thinking of another one.

My oldest was 3. When her sister was born and was in head start during day… So I only had one at home. Then once Savannah was 6 and lay was 3 both in school or head start I had ashlynn.
Landon was born when ash was 7 her 5 now…

My girls are 14, 4 and 3 both have pros and cons

I’ve a 3 year old 18month old and I’m due in 3 weeks.
So I’ll have 3 under 3 :rofl:

It’s harder in the beginning but it’s so worth it. Apart of them playing well together you watch them grow up together and that’s honestly the best thing ever!
I had back to back and I was mad and upset in the beginning because I felt like I hadn’t enjoyed my first long enough but now that I have both I would definitely do back to back again.

My kids are 10 years apart and they are very close … my daughter is 11 and my son is almost 2

1 Like

My kids are 19 16 and 13… I love their age gap of 3 years

Don’t do it!!! It’s a trap. I have a 13 and almost 12 year old. And a 8 and 7 year old. They fight ohh sooo much with each other.

My sister and I are 8 years apart, my brother and I are 9 years apart, which put 17 years between my moms oldest and youngest, and it was hard. My little brother has basically grown up with mine and my sisters kids. I’m certain that my mother doesn’t regret having my brother so late in life, but I do feel like she sometimes wishes she’d had him sooner. My oldest bio is 7, then 5, then 1 and I’m pregnant with our last. With my step kids we have 8, 7, 6, 5, 1 and will have a newborn. They’re all incredibly close and I feel like it’s much easier than it would be if they had a bigger age gap.

I have them close and apart I have 26, 22,12,7and 2 all hard whatever stage

Mine are 2 1/2 years apart and I don’t think anything prepares you for a kid let alone a second one but they are super close and love each other. I do think it’s different when a daughter is older vs a son. My daughter wanted to mother my son. But my cousin has an older son/ younger daughter situation (kids are all exactly the same age 4&6) and the older son didn’t like having a little sister. On the other had there are 11 years between my baby sister and I and we are probably two of the closest siblings you will ever meet.

I liked the 2 1/2 years apart …I have found that 18-24 mos apart is really hard… but my nephews are 13 mos apart and they were great little ones…so it all depends on what you want… i had kids really young and wound up having another when my oldest and middle children were 13 and 11 years old…that’s been fun too…but I will be 52 when she graduates…lol

My sister and I are 19 years apart haha. I’m 30 and she’s 11. I feel more like a second mom than a sister. But we don’t live in the same state so I spoil her rotten. :joy: My daughter is 3 right now. (If) we decide to have another I’d like to wait until she’s in kindergarten so I have dedicated time with the baby and she’s old enough to understand. :blush:

I have a 16 year old son, 8 year old daughter, and a 5 month old daughter. I personally love the gap…exactly 7 years 11 months between them. They are very close, each one was able to have my full attention when little, their activities never interfere with each others, and now with a baby, the older two love helping with their sister.

All 3 of my kids are close to 6 years apart and it worked great for us!!

Yes. I’m 31yrs. I have a 10, 8, 7, 4 1/2, 3…&& so much easier.

My two boys are almost 7 years apart. It’s better than I imagined. I thought i wanted them back to back, but my oldest adores his little brother. I don’t want the next one so soon, but not as far either so they can play.

I have a 6, 5, soon to be 4 and 3 year olds (3 girls, 1 boy) My youngest are 10months apart. And it is honestly so fun and loving. Yes they fight and argue but all siblings do. They protect eachother, call eachother bestfriends and love to do things together.

I have a 17, 10, and almost 2 yr old. Sometimes I wish they were closer in age, (so they can go to the same school, do similar age appropriate activities) but, I got to bond with each baby, whole the older one was self sufficient for the most part. I didn’t have the worry about a toddler body slamming the baby or drawing on the baby. I can see pros and cons each way you could go.

3 Likes

It’s better not to have any​:rofl::rofl::rofl: and I got 3 so I should know​:rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I have 4 kids all 5/6 years apart and it was great having them that way. Means you can concentrate on a baby and have a little helper

Yes! I am so grateful I had my sister to play with. You don’t get much time to socialize with friends at school, she was a huge part of me having a great childhood. It’ll be harder in the beginning, but when they’re a little older they will be spending a lot of their time with each other playing and it’ll give you a break. I use to spend hours playing with my sister as a kid and we didn’t like when our mom would interrupt our play time.

I have a 7&8 yr old fight constantly but then I have a 2 yr old and they do great with her would definitely say bigger age gap if I was to do it again

We have 9 ages 14,12,11,10,9,7,6,3 and 2 … Definitely was harder at first but once we got into a routine it was alot easier

2 Likes

I mean physically no, it’s not good for your body to not recover. Scientifically, lots of studies found that not waiting can lead to mental delays and health issues as your body hasn’t had time to replenish nutrients

3 Likes

I have 19, 13 and 8. It’s absolutely fine.

1 Like

There is 3 years and 1 day between my 3 boys. It was crazy hectic, they fought all the time. They are all 3 in college now and love each other and are very close.

I have 3 boys ages 12, 10, 9 and a daughter who is 5. My oldest doesn’t like being around the younger ones. Then my younger one complains of having nobody to play with. The middle 2 are always side by side. I say have them close together.

1 Like

I have one 7 year old and totally regret not having one right away.

I enjoyed having mine 5 years apart so that when my oldest was starting his journey into independence I had time to give the baby attention, like their older sibling got.

1 Like

It does not matter the age difference they gonna fight and argue mine is 5 years apart and they fight like cats and dogs

Yes much easier doing it like that my two were 15 months apart … but then 7 years on I’ve had 1 more :joy:

There are pros and cons to both sides

I want my kids as close as possible. I had a C-section. Once I hit 9 months pp I’ll be trying for my second

I love my four year gap :heart_eyes: my oldest helps with the youngest, and only one in diapers at a time! :purple_heart:

I didn’t want my kids back to back for financial reasons. I want to be able to buy them their first car, put them through college, etc.

Mine that are 18 months apart are much closer than the others that are 3 or 4 years apart. 45, 43, 38, 35, 33 and 31.

4 years between my oldest and middle child and 19 months between my middle and youngest. Honestly having 2 close is easier than having an age gap BUT it is nice having my oldest be able to help a little!

I have 3 all 22 months apart and tbh I love it that way

I have 4 kids. There is 4 years between my oldest and my second, 22 months between my second and 3rd, 3 years between my 3rd and 4th. My middle two are very close. So close that people have thought they are twins. My oldest and my second have never had much in common aside from they are brothers. I sometimes wish they were all closer in age. But then I’d either have 4 littles or 4 teenagers. So I guess it has worked out ok for the most part.

I had 3 back to back and my other 2 two years apart… I have a 11, 10, 9, 7, and 4(gonna be 5) my oldest all get a long very well… my 2 younger ones are like best friends always together they do everything together… I do not regret having them back to back it is really good.

My first is 9 years older than my twins. And it was so nice having a helper, she does so much to help out with her little sisters. I love having a big gap, let my mind and body recover and have all those special moments.

Since I have twins they are best friends (and worst enemies). The bond they have is amazing and they have someone to share ups and downs with. But they destroy everything, it’s hard when they both need me at the same time, it’s much more difficult to get all those special moments in because I’m always chasing after someone.

Ups and downs to both just do what you can handle.

I don’t want to buy two different size diapers so we waited till the oldest was potty trained

My kids will be exactly 2 years apart. My son is due a couple weeks after my daughter’s second birthday. I wanted them close in age specifically so they can grow up close together and doing the same things with friends all in the same age group. Sounds easier in my opinion but I guess we will see lol.

I have 3 ages 20,16,and14. They have always got along great! It really comes down to what works best for you and your situation.

Mine are years apart and I wish I would have had them back to back.

Your body might make the decision for you. I only had one because my health tanked after her pregnancy and birth.

I think that depends on whether you’re asking about practicality or closeness between the siblings. Being close in age doesn’t guarantee the children will get along or like each other. I know a girl with a twin and they hate each other and haven’t spoken in years. If you’re talking practicality, that depends on your situation. Can you afford diapers and daycare (if necessary) for two?

Mine are 3, 1 and soon to be 1 and I love it, they are best friends !

I had my 1st son in March of 2018, had my 2nd son in May of 2019. I am pregnant now and will be due in December. My boys are the bestest of friends and I love the idea of all my babies being so close!

Honestly having them either way is fine. My 4 boys are 5yr, 3yr, 2yr and 5 months. At time its great then some days it get very overwhelming.
As having them close together is not good on ur body. But I don’t think having them either way is bad. It’s all if u can handle pregnancys back to back plus all the little ones.

my kids ages are 4, 3, 2 and almost 5 months :two_hearts: its hard but doable

I have a 16 year old, 14, and 4. Glad that my sister had a baby 6 months after I did.

I have 4 kids with 2 years between each one

Some cases yes an some not so much!:rofl:

Mine are 15 months apart, and it sucks! They fight constantly! But, at least one won’t get through adolescence and then the other starts. They will get done close to the same time​:laughing::laughing::laughing: this is my thought since they are 12&13 right now. We have a little one on the way at the end of the month too.

4 Likes

What works for some doesn’t always work for all. We have an 8 year gap between our kids. Our gap wasn’t intentional (fertility struggles) but I love that with both kids I’ve gotten to enjoy their babyhood without splitting focus on a slightly older baby. Our older daughter also enjoys that she truly is the big sister and loves to help. Honestly, I’d hate having two in diapers or having to divide focus between a newborn and a toddler.

6 Likes

I’d say closer is better but you have to do what’s best for your family financially, and emotionally, and most importantly don’t have your older kids raise your babies.

1 Like

All mine do are fight about EVERYTHING. It is a constant headache in our house.

1 Like

Mine are 3 2 1 and due in october. I thought it was way easier with more than one. They love eachothet. But yeah of course they fight horribly sometimes too!

Mine are 18 months apart. At times it’s financially hard, but they got to grow up together and that’s what matters.

1 Like

Mine were 11 months apart sure there were fights but it was alot different than it is now. My boys will be 30 and 29 in September

It is hard when they are younger, but worth it when they’re a little older.

4 Likes

My kids are 1 and 8 days apart and sometimes I wish they where more then that

today with the way things are i wouldn’t have any kids!

My kids are close in age and are very close together. Everyone is different though

All of my 6 are 2 years the first 2 and the other 4 are all about 15 months apart

Mine are 11 years apart… they absolutely adore each other!! He squeals with glee every single time he sees his big sissy and she is so protective of him and loves teaching him things and playing silly games with him!!

Mine are 22 months apart & always got along.

You will be fine no matter what you choose or. Happens.

1 Like

There’s 4 years between mine and they get along so well.

My boys are 14 months apart. If I had to do it all over again I would have put 3 or 4 years in between

Mine are 2 1/2 years apart. It was perfect.

According to studies, 3 years apart is optimal for child development and the mother.

1 Like

Yes!!! My kids are 3years apart and while it was hard in younger years, they are very much closer today. My babies are 2000, 2003 and 2006

It’s best to do what works for you. Have one and see how you feel. If you’re good to go then have another. If you’re hesitant or overwhelmed wait a bit. I’ve seen it go great with all kinds of age differences from 11mos to 30yrs!