Is it normal for a kindergarten teacher to do this?

Nope! Not okay! I would speak to the principle!

1 Like

Not normal. Depending on where you are, colouring in isn’t recommended because it isn’t opened ended play

Your husband is right!!
I’d raise holy hell!

1 Like

the whole colour in the lines thing annoys me. my son is three and often gets very mad with himself because he can’t colour neatly. so i stopped being so neat myself. i showed him that’s it’s actually ok to mess up sometimes and everything doesn’t need to be perfect. colouring is supposed to be fun and relaxing, let them enjoy it.

4 Likes

Your child should have received a star as positive encouragement for doing his/her best. Sad faces are not appropriate. Speak to the teacher.

3 Likes

No it’s absolutely not on it needs dealing with in school set that meeting up …

No it’s not and I’m a teacher :frowning:

1 Like

What the actual heck… poor baby. NO. NOT NORMAL. I bet that coloring was BEAUTIFUL

It is Kindergarten for goodness sake, they should be applauding ALL their efforts! That’s very :disappointed:

4 Likes

Not right to shame anyone at that young age

2 Likes

I would have a little chat with the teacher and maybe the principal too. Kids at that age do not yet have the best eye hand dexterity. They will have some coloring outside the lines. It’s going to take some time and practice to get it right.

1 Like

Yes she is there to teach…not coddle

5 Likes

l Get paid over $121 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $17436 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Go to This. https://DollarPort832.pages.dev/

I don’t think that is normal specially not for a 5 kindergartener my daughter didn’t color in the lines at that time and she’s in 3rd grade now and sometimes still gets outside lines I guess it depends on teacher though but I think I’d be upset to

Was there some other instruction that wasn’t followed? Maybe certain colors were supposed to be used……I would ask questions before I got too upset.

4 Likes

What is wrong w coloring outside the lines? This shows me that the child is creative and will think outside the box :wink:

1 Like

If the assignment was to color in the lines and the kid didn’t then it would be a sad face
How else would he learn
If it was my kid I would explain it

6 Likes

I would talk to the teacher asap! Let her know that’s not acceptable but I wouldn’t start the conversation off nasty… start out nice and polite but stern!

2 Likes

Are you sure it was just a coloring sheet, and not a coloring sheet were they are  supposed to color each space with the right color?

1 Like

This happened with my son his first couple weeks of kindergarten. You need to think how you want to teach your child. That criticism is bad or use it constructively. Smiley faces are an easy indicator for little ones of what they are doing well and what they need to practice. I just began coloring with my son, he was so motivated to improve. in a few weeks, he was coloring within the lines perfectly.

2 Likes

Wow. That’s terrible. I would request a meeting w the principal.

2 Likes

Was there rules and your child didn’t follow them ask your child why maybe it’s not because he colors out of the lines maybe they were learning a color or maybe it they were learning something and he wasn’t following directions maybe it’s really a listening problem not a teach corrected him probably

We always tried to tell the children to make believe they are painting a house(coloring from side to side) or paint a fence( from top to bottom). It helps them from coloring in all different directions.

I mean, there ain’t no sense in telling a kid they done a great job when they haven’t. Be honest with kids …

2 Likes

It’s teaching. Let the teacher do her job and teach. The teach probably said color inside the lines and he did not. Which is fine but the sad face is his indicator that he did not do that and needs to practice more. He will not always get smiley faces on everything. It’s called learning. Happy face equals good job and sad face equals needs improvement/practice. It is okay.

5 Likes

I think it depends on what the actual assignment was… I used to teach that grade and now we homeschool. I was more for catering to my individual kids needs and desires than cramming them all in a class like regular school… but I’m going to assume that the assignment was probably to work on instruction following and developing fine motor skills, so read what is on the paper or ask. If it asks you to color certain things certain colors and he didn’t then that’s probably why, or coloring out of the lines when it’s asked him to color in them specifically. I mean no/ not many kid/s, at that age and hand skeletal development is going to be absolutely perfect. I wouldn’t have given a sad face, I would have explained why whatever allotted points for the assignment were given. You don’t always have to pair a negative assignment with a negative reaction to it, like a frowny face. Explaining things in a way kids understand goes way farther than a sad face on paper.

Children are not perfect girls have better skills at it than boys. Practice at home and explain to them to stay with in the lines They need to follow directions. Maybe it was not explained to them!!!

I teach prek and I would never. At that age you are building their self worth and belief in themselves. She should have said you did great but next time try slowing down and try to stay in the lines.

8 Likes

Y’all saying get the principal involved are raising weak ass kids!!! This Country is doomed :woman_facepalming:t3:

Kindergarten? So the child is 4 and expected to draw within lines? I don’t know where you live, I’m in Australia and a teacher. Besides the fact that this is highly illegal here I as a human find it absolutely disgraceful to discourage a child like that. You don’t have to lie about great job either. Well done for the effort, we can work together harder to achieve this. We will work on focus and hand muscles. Better and more loving approach I think. Making the child want to try harder in a more positive manner and also loving manner. They are still so little in kindergarten.

5 Likes

I’d need to see the coloring sheet she did to determine the teachers fairness. If it’s just sloppily scribbled on, yes, a sad face. If it’s just slightly out of the lines I would encourage her to do even better next time and tell her it’s the most beautiful coloring sheet ever!

As a kinder teacher, I probably wouldn’t do that. Kinder welcomes all walks on life (exposed to school and unexposed) teaching pencil grip and how to color would be the goal instead of a sad face at the beginning of the year. :sweat:

1 Like

The kids are there to learn , second week of school is early for a frown face. Kids need to adjust, get in a school routine, feel safe and accepted first. I would communicate with the teacher to make sure your child is adjusting. Teachers do have favorites and the problem kid and would give a frown to a kid they reprimand more often quicker than others. Explain to your child that as long as they do their very best that is enough. They will struggle sometimes and that’s ok. You still love them and the more they practice the better they will be.

1 Like

Sometimes everyone needs to color outside the lines. Not in to frowny faces. Prefer positive encouragement for trying hard. It’s Kdg for goodness sake

2 Likes

Gives students low self esteem. I would be talking to thay teacher

1 Like

This person should not be a teacher!

2 Likes

Ye to far!! I would be annoyed!!:flushed::flushed::pensive::pensive:

Not ok! I taught KG. Their fine motor skills are not yet fine tuned. I would be concerned she doesn’t understand child development

2 Likes

There’s never a reason for a frown face. I would email the teacher and copy the principal and ask, as in demand, that they no longer do that.

4 Likes

No it is not alright. Speak to the teacher first and express your concerns.

1 Like

I’d be pissed
2nd week of school and in kindergarten? I’d be mad.

2 Likes

It’s wrong. Every kid develops at their own pace.

2 Likes

There is no wrong way to color or draw. I would be upset too. And I would definitely say something.

Boy would I be mad !!!

Gina Bobina!!! Private message me❤️

I would be angry and have a word with the teacher.

Some teachers should not teach kindergarten

I would definitely speak with that teacher. My daughter received some criticism in grade 2, I kid you not that it stuck with her throughout her school years since, she’s in grade 9 now and to this day, still believes that she has poor math skills, from what ONE teacher said to her in grade 2. Kids aren’t the same, criticism is criticism and can be so detrimental, especially when they’re autistic.