Is it okay for my 2 year old to still drink from a bottle?

I did bottle for milk and sippy cup for juice or water to start weening my son off the bottle. Supposedly you’re supposed to have them off by the time they’re 1 but it’s hard lol. Good luck!

Warp the teeth, premature root rot, and malformations in the soft palate. No bottles or dumb tits after 12m.

I’d be more worried about her chewing through the bottle nipple and choking on it. My kids used to chew through their pacifiers at that age and we had to cut them cold Turkey because of it. Of course, we got them build a bears tho to show them they can have a new comfort and that helped a lot too with the transition.

My son got off his bottle only two months ago (he’s about to turn three Dec 16th) and I wish I got rid of it sooner. It softened his teeth and now he’s having pain when eating

Depending on what you put in that bottle at bedtime you could be causing tooth decay. If it’s milk or juice that sits on her teeth all night.

1 Like

It’s not recommended through ADA for tooth development / risk of tooth decay and cavities

Developmentally they are also missing skills like learning how to use a cup. I’d personally toss them

1 Like

No need to concern yourself it’s not like she’ll still have it in college :joy: let her be she’ll stop soon enough

3 Likes

Put a small hole in the nipple and gradually make it bigger. She won’t notice as much and soon she won’t want it anymore because the satisfaction of it will be gone

My oldest and second were almost 3 and still on a bottle for bedtime.

1 Like

Needs to off bottle! My daughter was totally off bottle at 9 months don’t ever put juice in a bottle!!! So so bad for the teeth!!!

Have her help you throw them ALL away. Don’t give her an option, cuz if you do she’ll use them forever. You as the parent need to make up your mind and know that you’re going to have a hard week but it’ll pass and will be better for everyone in the long run

1 Like

no she’s 2 there’s no need for her to have a bottle. you give her a cup of water and she will drink it. she may not right away but if she’s thirsty she will drink it. seems like you’re the one that’s not ready for her to be off the bottle or you would have already taken them away.

2 Likes

I mean it actually isn’t good for their teeth… but like you said she isnt drinking from it all day… honestly just throw them away… I had to with my son’s. He had a huge attachment to his bottles but when he was like 14 months I just threw them all away so i couldn’t give in. He was unhappy for a few days about it and then moved on and started using just his sippy cups… had a much harder time getting rid of those lol…

1 Like

My son refused bottles and was a breastfed baby but my twins and my other daughter were bottle-fed and with my daughters I literally just threw the bottles out got out the sippy cups and away they go. The longer they have bottles the more that liquid sit on their teeth causing tooth decay

She’s 2, she’s still a baby. Let her have her comfort. My youngest (of 4) is almost 3 and still nurses 1st thing in the morning and at bedtime. He never took a paci, so yeah, it’s a comfort thing. I’ve refused him a couple of times and he was so sad from feeling rejected. Let her have the bottle; she is still a baby. She will outgrow it naturally in due time.

3 Likes

I got a NUK sippy cup that has a soft nipple… My (2 in a week) year olds teeth are fine. In about a month I’ll start to switch it on her

1 Like

If you can try a sippy cup with a soft mouth piece! That’s what I did for my two year old he was obsessed with the bottle.

1 Like

Every child is different, and if the bottle is a comfort thing for her, you don’t want to just take it away. If you are looking to get her off the bottle though, I would take her out, say to like Walmart, and let her pick out some big girl cups. Get a different variety of them, and test it out to see which one she likes best. Then, with Christmas coming, tell her Santa wants to know if he can have her bottles for all the baby elves. Get her to sit them out when she puts our milk and cookies. After she goes to bed, toss them all and make sure Santa leaves her some nice new big girl cups under the tree. It took forever to figure out which cup was gonna work when transitioning my kids from bottle to cup. We went with any brand that had a rubber spout, similar to a bottle. Once we were transitioned from bottle to cup, mine started using all variety of cups.

1 Like

Bottles should’ve been gone by their first birthday. I never gave my kids pacifiers & I still had them off the bottle by the time they turned one.

This should answer your question, my daughter is 4 she didn’t come off the bottle till she was 2 and half. She has had 2 teeth pulled and has 3 crowns on her teeth, plus regular visits to get caps and fillings on her two front teeth. once her adult teeth come through she will have to get stuff put on her teeth to keep them strong and healthy. that was all from milk and juice in a bottle.
Do not make the same mistake I did, I gave in to her tantrums and I wish I put my foot down.
To have your child say I have yucky or dirty teeth is heart breaking but after multiple conversations she has her confidence back.
Get your child off that bottle as fast as you can or your child might have the same problems my daughter has because I just kept giving in like you.
Leave a cup with water in it out or watered down juice. She will give in.

Please don’t make the same mistake I did because trust me sitting next to your child in a hospital bed with a tooth abscess, or having to have teeth pulled at such a young age is not a great feeling.

2 Likes

Throw the bottle away
Get her a cool pink princess sippy cup :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Take the bottle away completely. We hid the bottles. By the end of the day, my one year was drinking out of his cup. She does that because she knows eventually she will get a bottle. It was a tough day but so worth it. Drinking from a straw cup helps them learn to swallow properly

My daughter fixed her own bottles with water until she wanted to quit it.

why do you care what others think? she is your child, you are doing the best you can. There is NO perfect way to raise a child.

5 Likes

She is too young to tell if it’s affecting her teeth, trying to ween her off would be best, maybe give her a stuffy as a comfort instead, it’s hard for them to break the bottle and soother habits.

She wont be sucking on it as an adult. She needs it emotionally. Kids grow up too fast. Weani g was not heard of till 3 until bottles were introduced into our culture. Spok turned that era into a very anul repressed culture.

As long as she brushes her teeth after she drinks the bottle at night.

1 Like

Each to their own but this is what my son drinks out of and he is 11 months

My almost two year old still gets a bottle at bedtime and nap time. That’s the only time she uses one. She doesn’t use a pacifier anymore, but she also never used sippy cups. She just drinks from cups like me and her dad. She’s done been to the dentist who’s agreed that her teeth are in perfect condition and not to worry to much about it.

2 Likes

If it’s knocked down to mornings and naps/bedtime.

Just slowly cut each one starting from nap time.

But I wouldn’t allow people to have an input on your parenting.

I still nurse on demand my 2 yr 3 month old daughter. It’s working for us. That’s all that matters atm.

3 Likes

Teeth rot it’s called bottle rot that’s why

Try a soft spout sippy cup transfer then transfer to a hard spout

1 Like

Throw the bottle away give her a sippy. She will drink when she is thirsty. Kids even that small are not dumb and she knows you give in. Give her a blanket or special stuffed animal for her comfort. The older she gets the harder it will be to take away.

My son STILL had a bottle till he was 2 because he absolutely refused any cup I tried. Finally right after his 2nd bday he got some paw patrol cups and we slowly transitioned. He has perfect teeth because we brush them and we go to the dentist. It didn’t affect his teeth

You do what you think is best for your kiddo. Maybe try a sippy cup and see if that helps

1 Like

It’s ok. She will get over it sooner or later

my ped stressed that it’s the milk sitting in their mouth all night after having a bedtime bottle and the physical effects. she won’t dehydrate herself she’ll drink when she’s ready throw out the bottle.

1 Like

I took my daughter off the bottle as soon as it hit me wait, she is really good at using these cups (see picture) why is she still on the bottle? I can throw these out. She was around 17 months, she’s 2 now. she broke herself of the binkie at around 16 months.

1 Like

Pediatrics will say to stop bottles when they have teeth. It can cause movement and rot. Especially if her teeth aren’t brushed after the bottle.
Ive3 seen a child be fine and Ive2 seen children need thousands in dental work due to teeth shifting and rotten teeth. You’d be better asking the doctor bc they know your child better than we do.

My son was 3 when I got rid of his bottle. He only had it at bedtime but it was his comfort. I felt the same but he is fine. Its been 4 months no bottles and his been okay. Do what is best for you and your child x

3 Likes

My son is 3 and he decided he was done with it all on his own. He has also potty trained himself basically. My son is eager to start school so we just kept telling him he had to be a big boy to start school (no diapers or bottles). Dont rush it, do things at whatever pace u feel is right! U got this momma

2 Likes

What is the rush? Let her choose. When she is ready she will give it up.

1 Like

I’m having heck with the sippy. I guess I’ll do the same as I did with the bottle n paci. Just do it!!! She needs this to finish potty training… or she will just wet the bed all the time

Eh I think it’s fine my girl is the same way. Mostly sippys but sometimes I’m too lazy and she gets a baba

No 360 cup all the way

Just upkeep the brushing both of my girls kept a bottle after two very seldom mostly at bedtime only my youngest daughter had it until she was 1 1/2 just keep an eye on their teeth and make sure to brush them regularly

You know your daughter better then any doctor ever will …you spend everyday with her…Drs see kids once every few months if that so YOU should use YOUR best judgment unless it’s something her pediatrician specifically said was an issue…just make sure when she goes to sleep you take the bottle from her when you check on her. Not all kids are easy to break of bottles…the fact she doesn’t use a binky is great tho…mine never took a binky and loved her bottle…ripping it away from her may not be the right thing to do for you or her… Maybe have her help pick out new kids cups with you and see what she likes…but your mama you know what is best in the end…believe and trust in that and I’m sure everything will be fine.:wink::wink:

1 Like

I would be careful of bottle rot, especially with the nighttime bottle (assuming you don’t brush her teeth after). Milk pools near the teeth causing bottle rot on the teeth

4 Likes

Talk to her dentist about milk and juice staying on her teeth at night. Cavities very early

It will just get more difficult as she gets older, It is hard but the bottle needs to go!!

2 Likes

My son was hard to wean off the bottle — of course it was a long time ago as he is 48 now but at the time his pediatrician told me “ he won’t take it to school in his lunch box- relax!! He was almost 3 when friends of ours had a baby and we packed up all the bottles and told him we had to give them to the baby! I thought he would never sleep again but he did from that very night!

Bottle mouth is a horrible thing I had it.

1 Like

My pediatrician told me they need to be off at 6mo. I didnt use a bottle at the time. My youngest is 3mo and bottle fed so we will see how that works out.

You hardly ever see an adult drinking out of a baby bottle so I wouldn’t worry overmuch about taking it away from her lol Make sure your going to the dentist regularly and keeping up with brushing her teeth and everything will work out.

1 Like

Let her to do on her own pod luck momma

Just don’t put her to bed with juice. You don’t want bottle rot teeth. Other than that she’s still only 2.

You do what’s best for your baby. To hell with what anyone thinks. Remember that you need to brush the chompers after milk at night to prevent cavities, but honestly your baby will grow out of it.

Literally just throw the bottle away and give them a different cup

The answer: sippy cup

My angel baby still drank from a bottle right before her second birthday. Especially at nighttime for comfort. She liked to drink bottles to help her fall asleep. Just brush hee teeth every a.m so her pretty little death stay healthy I recommended slowly weening her off by making her use a sippy cup or those advanced cups during the daytime, and then overtime try getting her alseep at nighttime without a bottle. I know its tough but you got this momma.

What ever works for you. People are so judgmental, as long as she is getting fluids and settling for you. The time will come when she’s ready. Do be so hard on yourself, you are a good mum.