Is it okay for women to propose?

Has anyone proposed to their boyfriend’s, and if so, why. And how do you decide I am going to propose to him or just wait to see if he ever proposes. My boyfriend wants me to do the proposal—back story. My boyfriend and I have been best friends for 18 years. During those 18 years, he has tried to date me, but I was immature, and after we date for a few weeks, I would break up with him, then years later we would Date then I leave again. But we would always stay friends. Well, now we’re dating again, and it’s been five years straight of dating. But now he is saying he wants me to propose since I have always been the one to leave him in the past. Is it ok for women to propose?

110 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it okay for women to propose? - Mamas Uncut

Yup, it’s ok. Have fun with it.

1 Like

Yuppers my bestfriend proposed to her man this yr. Theyre getting married in a few yrs

2 Likes

Of course. Why wouldn’t it be ok?

2 Likes

It’s all about the person you love, respect, nurture, want to spend the rest of your life with,& the person you can’t see yourself without. So without a doubt in my mind, if you love this man, truly, yes it’s absolutely 100% okay to be the one to propose. I say go for it.

2 Likes

Of course it is !! Good luck & congratulations !!

2 Likes

Heck yeah!!! You do it and make it memorable for ya both this is a beautiful thing. Good luck!

2 Likes

Yes, I did! We’ve been married 2 years now.

2 Likes

Every relationship is different so there’s no cookie cutter answer here.
If he needs the reassurance that you want to stay with him forever then YES, you need to be the one to propose.
But for everyone involved…. Make Damn sure you actually want to stay and not leave.

I would say to do it! Your guy might be wanting you to do it to finally 100% validate that you want to have your lives together forever. With you having mentioned being the one to usually end things or take a break in a sense. I hope all works out for you! Much love and happy thoughts your way! :heart:

3 Likes

Ron Fry it happens :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::woman_facepalming:🤷

1 Like

Im old school not my style :joy: but if its your thing go for it

2 Likes

I proposed to my fiance! Go for it!

2 Likes

I did, we were laying in bed one morning just talking and cuddling. I looked at him and I just knew he was who I wanted for the rest of my life. So I proposed using some characters from videos games that we play together. He said yes and we are going on our 5th year of marriage. It also helps that we had been really good friends for over 10 years before we even started dating.

2 Likes

Not a problem at all I would think… but my friend did that and he thought it was an ultimatum… delivery is key I suppose​:woman_shrugging::heart:

I would love to be proposed to! I love my partner and it would mean the world if she proposed to me. As another guy, I thinks it’s a grand idea

4 Likes

It’s perfectly fine for the woman to propose if that’s what you want.

I proposed to my husband after he got back from a deployment. We had our very first date the day before he got the call to mobe up, we spent a year talking on the phone and emailing when he could, I knew he was the one. I proposed the day he came home it’s been nearly 14yrs together and married for 12. We’re still happy and in love.

6 Likes

Definitely. My boyfriend has mentioned me proposing to him a couple times but my fear of rejection could never :grimacing:

3 Likes

I would say he’ll no however he is asking you to do so and it sounds like he has a good reason why

1 Like

Sure it is why not I’d say go for it if that’s what you want to do

2 Likes

Yes I think it’s ok for a woman to propose BUT I think you need to make sure he is the one first like 100% sure!

2 Likes

I have been with my husband ten years and married three I proposed a year into the relationship just wanting to here him call me crazy and one day he said yes so seven years later we got married and are still going strong

1 Like

I did…I told him after 4 years of living together. Either we get married by June or I am gone. We got married June 19

Yes!! It is totally quite normal for a woman to propose to her partner…
If they feel that their partner is the person they want to spend forever with, no one has the right to stand in their way…
Have fun👌⚘
Go for it :100:%

2 Likes

I did. 29 years and going strong✌️

2 Likes

In this case, go for it

1 Like

I did he was flattered and said yes of course :heart::heart:

3 Likes

Yes its ok to propose

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter which one asks as long as you’re both fully committed. Go for it.

3 Likes

Yea I’d say he’s waiting and giving you the space to decide so go for it if you’re ready!!

1 Like

It’s absolutely ok if you proposed, but is it really what you want? Think about it a bit then if you still feel the same, then do it! He probably feels like he’s out him and his feelings out there so much, he wants to know that YOU want it?? :woman_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

It’s 100% up to you it’s so much more common now that it used to be … go with what ur comfortable with and make sure u want to … not just cus he says he wants u to

2 Likes

After 12 years together I just ended up buying my own ring and planning the wedding :joy: I told him & he said ok, whatever I wanted. So I guess technically I didn’t purpose, I just told him.

7 Likes

I don’t understand why women think it’s fully up to the man to do/take these big steps in life​:woman_facepalming:t4::rofl:

I proposed to my partner☺️

4 Likes

One of my best friends proposed to her husband, and it went great! They are a happy, healthy, amazing couple. Go for it if you think it works for you guys!

1 Like

I did. We got married, but didn’t end well. Guess he wasn’t really ready and probably just didn’t want to hurt me by saying no. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I think in this situation it would be very appropriate for you to do the proposal.

2 Likes

You keep leaving him he should know that you dont wanna be with him. I feel so sorry for him that he has to deal with a woman like you. He can find better then you.

6 Likes

I agree with him. He’s always made the choice to stay with you. So I feel like he wants you to be the one to make the ultimate commitment. I think it’s cute!

5 Likes

Of course it is, there’s no rules

2 Likes

Yeah I mean it’s okay. Would I do it myself? No, but that’s me personally. There’s nothing wrong with you choosing to do so

Neither myself nor my husband proposed. We just made a conscious decision, as two adults, to get married. Personally, I don’t think it should matter who asks. In your situation though, he most likely wants you to be the one to pop the question because of your history. He probably wants you to be 100% sure. If you are, then do it!

2 Likes

Go to the damn courthouse already

Sounds to me like you kept running before and he wants you to make that choice for the two of you. He was most likely just as committed then as he is now but he needs to know that your ready for that commitment. I proposed to my ex we were together for 5 years at that point when we first got together he proposed to me and I told him I wasn’t ready for that but we stayed together and I told him when I was ready I would let him know. So 5 years later I felt that I was ready and looked at him one day while we were driving together and said I’m getting married on this day. So you can be there or stand me up. He said where are you getting married, and I said our front yard. He said I guess I better be there then. And that’s how it happened. Sad to day 18 years together and it didnt last. But yes it is completely acceptable for you to propose to him. Best of luck in your future.

2 Likes

Who cares, it’s OK to do what is best for the 2 of you, don’t get pushed into doing what you don’t want to do.

1 Like

I say no it’s tacky he’ll ask you when he is ready.

3 Likes

Yes. If you want to be married, ask!

1 Like

Of course its ok for a woman to purpose. If you are ready for that step do it.

2 Likes

It is fine as long as he has the ring,you can just agree you want to spend your life together.

Yes, yes, yes, it is.

1 Like

Do ur thing girl!!! Some may say times have changed but really they haven’t women have always purposed weather it be by seriously just saying let’s get married or by dropping heavy hints and leaving it to the man, today women r considered just as strong, independent and capable as a man.

My story if ur feeling concerned!! Mine and my fiance’s first purposal was very early, unexpected, and shocking more because for the first time in my life I wanted to say yes. At the time we had only been together for 7 months but had known each other for almost 16 years, my relationship before him was complete crap and I never wanted to marry. Due to the circumstances listed above my reaction was a laugh which wasn’t what he expected and he felt like I laughed at him. He told me when I explained why I laughed that if I wanted to marry him I’d have to ask him. Well about 4 years later I built up the courage to ask his parents which both hysterically laughed when I explained and gave their blessing. As I wanted it to be a surprise I saved money and only enough to where he wouldn’t catch on within a year and a half I saved enough for both rings. I waited until our anniversary April 21st planned a very nice day exploring waterfalls and asked, he thought I was joking until we got in the car and drove directly to the jewelers where I had an appointment set to customize both of our rings. We r now trying to figure out a day when we will marry next to the same waterfall I purposed at.

5 Likes

By all means propose, go all out and make it special and memorable.

2 Likes

Sounds like your dating a woman lol

6 Likes

I just said to my partner we’re getting married he said okay :joy:

5 Likes

Sophia Poulos omg i cant

I’m not traditional, but I am with that…

1 Like

I would never propose to a man.

6 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is it okay for women to propose? - Mamas Uncut

Damn straight! My mum proposed to my dad. And that was over 25 years ago

1 Like

I proposed to my husband (nearly 3 years ago)
Women cant moan for equal rights then ask questions like this :v:

7 Likes

More than ok. I proposed to my guy after 8 months of dating because he’s The One. We get married on 25th September :sparkling_heart:

3 Likes

He’s literally asking you to propose to him so do it!

2 Likes

Of course its OK for women to propose. This is 2021, if you want to propose then you do it.

4 Likes

If women want equal rights then they shouldn’t have to wait on the man to propose marriage. Everything is a two way street now right?

7 Likes

Yeah it’s ok, but I’d be telling him soon as you do, he can get you an engaging ring so he’s not getting out of it lol as 5 years of dating should of out weighted the past by now x

He should have ran ya 5 years ago, your lucky he stuck around

2 Likes

I didn’t propose, but me and my fiancé went through this same thing! I broke up with him probably 5 times since we were little​:joy: but I ended up getting pregnant and after I was 100% certain I was ready to really be with him, we started dating again, and now we are getting married next month! Good luck!:heart:

11 Likes

If you’re ready for that next step, it’s okay to propose. Proposing is typically the man’s action, only because that’s what most grew up seeing/hearing/believing. Times have changed & the stigma around females proposing should as well. If he expressed that YOU have to do the proposing, he is implying that he would be interested in a marriage with you, but he will NOT be the one asking - so if you’re waiting for him to do it, it may never happen. Just do it. You got this :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Why not, Men do it all the time! He make a very fine point, As you were always the one to leave if you make the proposal he will feel you are in it for good!! Lol.

2 Likes

It’s ok for women to do whatever they want! It’s ur relationship! It’s between the two of you and if you want to marry him and this is how he’s rather go about it then by all means propose to ur man! Also tell him U still get to wear the engagement ring! :wink: good luck ma’am!

4 Likes

Yep! I did it! It was scary as I did it in front of our race team which is how we met, so like 300 people, but he said yes and we were married in 2018. Neither of regret anything and he doesn’t feel like he missed out on anything

4 Likes

Hell yeah, what’s the hold up? Do you want to, that’s the question. It seems like he’s all set to agree :grin:, go for it.

2 Likes

Reading this is just too funny lol it’s like roles reversed with the leaving and coming back :blush: Definitely seems like a role you should take then :heartpulse: Good luck!!!

1 Like

I did. I was tired of waiting and I new he would say yes so I asked him and he said yes married for 3 years now

Nowadays good solid relationships don’t even need definition. Doesn’t have to be the way everyone else does things

5 Likes

In my opinion yes it has always *been the man to propose * but we aren’t in biblical ages anymore. It seems as if yes he wants to marry you but as you stated you’ve always been the one to leave maybe he isn’t going to because some women will *get cold feet * and leave as afraid of that next step. I say if you feel deep down and know without a doubt you want to be with him for the long term propose lady! Lol go for it!!

6 Likes

Regardless of traditional roles or not, he’s basically told you he’s ready and wants to make sure you are. My husband asked me a few times and I said No I wasn’t ready and then it came to when you’re ready you let me know. Even though me proposing was non-traditional, we actually have a traditional marriage, down to me staying at home with the kids. Relationships & Marriages are a tailor to only those involved, whatever works for you, works for you.

2 Likes

In that case yes. Give him the reassurance that you are committed

2 Likes

I proposed to my husband! It was the calmest thing ever lol I just randomly asked. I wish I had gotten proposed to, but my husband is so shy it wouldn’t be that romantic anyway :joy:

2 Likes

It’s fine for a women to propose :slight_smile: times have changed and women can pretty much do anything so go for it and make it count :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It absolutely fine.

In thins case especially it sounds like he really loves you but might be afraid you will leave again. You asking might(in his head) save him heart ache.

i dont think he would ask you to be the one to do it if he wasnt ready. he wants you to be ready. so when youre ready tell him youre ready and ask him !! you can do anything dont feel like women cant do something because its traditionally done by men. vice versa.

10 Likes

Yeah I’d say ball is in your court. I don’t see why women can’t propose. Lesbians do it all the time ahaha

Totally fine. But don’t be pressured into it if marriage with h I’ll m is not what you want.

Yes! Ask him! I don’t see anything wrong with anything you said. When you’re ready you will ask. Because you know he is and he knows he is. So the balls in your court. Slam dunk that shit girl!

1 Like

I proposed to my husband 21years ago… we are still together this very day. September will be 22years married. We dated for 1yr first. Be creative with how you propose​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Congratulations coming your way soon

1 Like

Shivery is dead​:skull_and_crossbones: If you want it sis you probably gona have to go do it yourself…so yes go ahead and propose​:woman_shrugging::upside_down_face:

I personally would wait on him too,because its a special moment we hold onto.but everyone is different

If your ready to get married ! Go for it !

Why wouldn’t it be okay…?

Solid that he wants to know you WANT this, not the pressure of what you think he wants from you! Keeper!!

1 Like

I proposed yo my husband and we’ve been married for 22 yrs :astonished::wink::heart:

4 Likes

I think so I did lol will be married to him for 7yrs this April 6th :grin:

2 Likes

I proposed to my fiancé. To us it’s the same either way. :heartpulse: go for it!

2 Likes

Perfectly okay for a woman to propose!!!

Of course it’s ok! And I get why he wants you to do it!!

It’s ok but I wouldn’t do it. He seems ready tho

Absolutely! Their answer will tell you everything you need to know.