Is it okay to have cats while pregnant?

Having a cat is fine but you don’t get near the cat box have someone else clean it!!!

Yes. I was always told no because the cats would suffocate baby with the smell of milk but mine literally never tried to get on my children. He would rub against their feet or sit and look at them. He would never climb on them. Cats are perfectly safe unless you have some kind of evil hell spawn cat that attacks everything.

Absolutely but you can’t touch the litter

I’ve had a cat all 3 pregnancies just have someone else change the litter

Yes lol just don’t personally scoop cat litter, have your partner do it

Just dont go near the cat pan.

I raised all 3 of mine with cats and dogs .

^^^^^What they said.

yes you’ve been around the cat already

Safer not to due to risk. Not worth it

Kitty is safe. Just have someone else change the litter.

Oh yes! Just no scooping the litter box.

1 Like

My ob let me know during my pregnancy that it is extremely rare to get toxoplasmosis from an indoor cat. She said you are more likely to pick it up from fruits and vegetables that are not properly washed. She just advised me to wear gloves while cleaning the litter box and wash hands thoroughly.

1 Like

Yes it is safe to have a cat while pregnant. However, it’s not safe to clean the litter box due to the cat litter and cat poo can contain a parasite that causes toxoplasmosis infection.

1 Like

Yes it is safe my doc said when I was pregnant! Just have someone eles scoop the litter for you ! It’s not good to breath

Of course it’s fine as long as it’s trained to use a litter box or toilet outside and you don’t deal with cleaning up poop or the litter box and keep cat of surfaces you keep food on

Cats won’t hurt you .they just want to be loved…

Yes. You aren’t supposed to scoop the litter but i did… just wore gloves every time. What you can get, you’ve probably already had and will be just fine!

Yes it perfectly safe. The only unsafe thing is the litter. Your not allowed to change the litter box or even touch it.

When you start collecting baby thing teach the cat from the get go there not allowed near it. Cats like to snuggle with babies and you don’t want no accidents

1 Like

Its perfectly fine! If someone else can do litterbox duty its preferred but if not wear gloves and wash hand well when done!

2 Likes

Yes! Youre just supposed to be careful about cleaning the litter box. But your furry friend is safe to have pregnant and after baby comes.

1 Like

Yes it’s safe. Just have someone else clean the litterbox

1 Like

I wore rubber gloves and a mask when I cleaned cat litter while pregnant. There are new low dust litters now and self cleaning boxes maybe try that.

1 Like

You’ll have to get someone else to clean the litter tray; It’s NOT safe to do that while pregnant

My husband was in training while I was pregnant so My doctor said to wear a mask and gloves while cleaning the litter. I always washed up good after even not being pregnant. So just

4 Likes

You can’t clean the litter box. And when baby comes make sure the door to baby room is shut sometimes they like to snuggle baby and when they are small they can’t move their head to breathe

Your fine just wear gloves and a mask when doing the litter or have someone else do it for you.

1 Like

Yes. I have 3 cats. My husband cleans their pens, but if that isn’t an option just wear gloves and masks. Toxoplasmosis is very very rare with inside cats, mostly outside cats have it from catching prey.

1 Like

Its fine. Have someone else clean the litter box tho .

As long as you don’t clean the litter box and get scratched, it’s fine

I had cats and they became my kids best friends and slept with them, they knew to stay by my kids feet and wouldn’t attempt to go by the face… I didn’t change litter though but did scoop the poop and pee. There is a bacteria I think that is bad that you can get.

If your cat is strictly indoors, then the risk for toxoplasmosis is low.

https://www.pawschicago.org/about-us/media-center/paws-in-the-media/news-item/showarticle/pregnancy-cats-toxoplasmosis/#:~:text=The%20risk%20of%20contracting%20Toxoplasmosis,immunocompromised%20and%20are%20also%20pregnant!

I did :woman_shrugging:t3: my cat actually woke me up when my water broke at 35 weeks n didn’t leave my side while I was pregnant

Pay someone to clean out the liter box— you can’t. Also be very careful about scratches and just disinfect and bandage. Be very vigilant about bites and treat very carefully and often.

It’s fine. Just don’t clean the litter box

Iv had cats through all my pregnancies

Get someone else to change the litter

Questions for real or are these people could really f****** stupid asking for a friend

4 kids and 5 cats. It’s perfectly fine, someone else needs to do the litter box.

It is fine. However, you really need to get him used to being outside once the baby gets here.

Cat litter and cat poo can contain a parasite that causes toxoplasmosis infection. Although it’s very rare, if you get toxoplasmosis for the first time when you’re pregnant or a few months before you get pregnant, the infection can: pass to and harm your unborn baby. cause miscarriage or stillbirth. So in an odd way yes you are taking a risk of having a cat. Just dnt clean the litter box and clean your hands after petting the cat. It be kinda hard to fully avoid the parasite bc the cat uses its feet to use the bathroom just keep that in mind. Just be mindful and you should be fine. If you feel uneasy still then let a loved one foster your cat till you have your baby. Hope this helps :heart:

I had an indoor cat while pregnant and after the baby was born. I let the cat investigate the crib and other baby items. When baby came home I watched the cat when it was around the baby. Cat never bothered baby. Never tried to curl up with it either. I simply redirected the cat away from baby.

I would be extremely careful with a cat around once the babies born. I’ve heard stories of how they(cat) may smother the baby by laying on its face because of the milk smell.

Perfectly safe just no cleaning the litter box

? What we have a cat while I was pregnant no issues.

Get rid of that cat. Bad for babies

100% safe, just no cleaning the cat box the fumes can be harmful to the babies brain. My babes is 5m old and loves his cat brother!