Is it okay to show favorites?

Where are u located my husband and I and kids we play mr Mrs Santa’s

Call them out… in front of everyone. Not joking, seriously! They’d most likely change that attitude real quick. Or you need to cut off communication indefinitely… because you’re allowing it to continue by communication with them. Cut people off, until they can learn to care about your other child as well. Your son im sure, can understand and see what’s going on. And its not fair to him. I wouldn’t let that family come around if they can’t change their attitude.

2 Likes

This is absolutely disgusting. I would never allow them in my home. You shouldn’t be accepting gifts for your daughter if she’s the only one getting them.

4 Likes

Grow a pair and put your foot down!!! No way in hell would they treat my son this way!!!

2 Likes

Its. Not ok id say what about my son honestly that is crazy that they do that im sure ur son notices it to

This is NOT ok…and if they can’t do for both then don’t accept for one. They sound toxic af and I would be distancing myself and my children from them immediately.

2 Likes

No ma’am. You are so right. The daughter would not get one gift if the son doesn’t. Period. Why has your husband not stepped up and defended his son. It’s his place.

2 Likes

I would tell them if one of them gets something so does the other unless it’s a birthday gift. We are not playing favorites it’s either all or nothing.

2 Likes

Every child should be treated equally and fairly, you are not in the wrong buying your son things if your daughter is getting spoiled, tell them to shove theirs attitudes and opinions where the sun don’t shine and you raise those babies as you seem fit, that’s not right at all!

2 Likes

This is disgusting. I wouldn’t accept gifts from them for your daughter if they’re leaving your son out. Your husband needs to speak up. But it sounds like he is on their side with this, and I would ditch him like a bad habit. This makes my blood boil. Be his voice mama! And if your husband has a problem with that then I would leave him. I know it’s not that easy, but I would start the process. If he doesn’t love your son the way he loves his daughter and doesn’t treat them the same, then that shows that he has no respect for you either.

1 Like

Throw the whole family in the trash. They are toxic.

NO! I would tell them get something for both or neither.

1 Like

Fuck them. I would get shitty with them every time. Nobody is gonna tell me how to parent my kids let alone tell me I’m not allowed to buy something for one of them. Throat punch somebody.

“If I buy something for my son they tell me he has to share it with his sister” I’m sorry but YOU ARE THE PARENT. wtf

7 Likes

Wow. The family should be ashamed of themselves. So sad.

2 Likes

1 You don’t mention ages of the children.
2 You said it is your husband’s stepson … so it is actually YOUR son from a previous relationship. You aren’t even claiming your own son while bitching about how someone else treats him.
3 He isn’t their grandchild but your daughter is … while it may seem unfair in your eyes, this may be how they see the situation.

I would go ballistic and they would back off if one don’t get anything then the other isn’t either they are horrible people sounds like I would cut all ties with them :rage:

1 Like

I would tell them that if they’re not gonna treat both children the same then you will no longer be accepting gifts from them.

4 Likes

I tell all family n friends I don’t play the favoritism bs if can do for both then don’t cuz ur not gonna do for one n not the other I’ve had it happen my whole life n I’m not gonna allow it with anyone else. I wouldn’t let them do anything if they can do for both kids.

1 Like

It’s too
Early for me to be getting this damn pissed off!

Don’t accept no more gift for one without the other. That can be so damaging to a kid. You’re the parent, YOU put your foot down. If they don’t respect it then they got to go!!

2 Likes

I would stop accepting the gifts. If they can’t buy for both then no need to accept the gift. I would simply say, "Sorry but it makes my son feel left out so I can accept it " and as for the discipline part tell them to butt out

I’d say fuck it and keep doing you

Nope! Don’t except the gifts , poor boy , I can’t even imagine how he feels ,

Go off on them it’s hurtful to be left out I have been left out so many times as a child it got to the point if I was there I knew it wasn’t going to happen. You need to lay down the law and tell them both or none if they can’t buy for both they can’t buy for none

Tell your hubby he needs to talk to his parents,its his parents his responsibility to tell them they need to do for both children.

1 Like

I would tell them to pass off. And then I would let them know you won’t be letting your daughter accept gifts unless equal is bought for your son. Just my opinion.

1 Like

You the adult have to speak up don’t allow her around the kids punch her in the mouth just for sake of it

3 Likes

I would tell them if they can’t treat them fairly they don’t need to be involved with either child I would stop accepting gifts from them as for spanking thier your children if you don’t want to spank them don’t and I am sorry that your son is dying and you even have to deal with this

Your husband needs to open his mouth!! If he don’t then I would tell them either they treat both kids correctly or any gifts will be donated to the homeless or some kind of charity. Also visiting rights will be cut down to minimal. End of story.i was treated that way when I was a kid and it still bothers me all these years later, and I’m talking alot of years

5 Likes

Ooo no toxic grandparents!! We just got rid of those. You should do the same it’s damaging to kids!!! Trust me I had to put up w it for 14 yrs. end it now fir there mental Heath.

Protect your son :heart:. This is not okay and I can’t even imagine how he must be feeling seeing that. You need to either stand up to them or stop accepting gifts from them and allowing them to do this. And talk to your husband. He needs to be on your side with this if he’s not then honestly that’s a no for me on that relationship. He needs to accepts both children as his own even if one is not his biological.

4 Likes

Don’t except the gifts simple as that if they can’t buy for both then don’t buy nothing simple as that

2 Likes

NOPE. I’d have cut them out a long time ago. If you can’t do for both, don’t do for any

1 Like

This post make me angry, not at you, at yr in laws. I can see why they don’t favor yr son, not everyone treats a stepchild with love n compassion. Your husband accepts him, that’s all that matters. You are not wrong in buying anything for your child. Don’t make anyone make you feel guilty. You didn’t say the ages of yr children. I hope yr daughter is old enough to understand why you will buy something for her brother and not her. Don’t let in laws poison yr daughter’s mind about you playing favorites amongst yr children

1 Like

Speaking from experience and a similar situation regarding my child, CUT them off for good!

5 Likes

I can’t stand to see people play favorites with kids and grandkids. And I don’t think people realize how OBVIOUS it is to the children. Just really shitty :confused:

That’s not okay. Children are little humans learning from adults. That’s not what you want to teach. He’s being treated as a nothing, and that’s so sad…

This pissed me off and I don’t even know you! You’re going to have to put your foot down and if you hurt some feelings in doing so…so be it! This is very wrong and it will cause your children to feel a way about each other. I’m sad for your little boy. You shouldn’t be explaining anything about what you do for YOUR CHILDREN to anyone! And your husband needs to open his mouth and stand firmly behind you on this!

6 Likes

Tell them if they cant bring stuff for both neither get anything period of they try to do it anyway throw it out thats very damaging to kids i even consider not letting their toxic asses around either of my kids

Absolutely no more accepting of gifts. If they can’t acknowledge both they can’t buy for one. Period. My family is blended pretty well, we have step, full, half, and adopted in our brood but we’ve always considered everyone “family”. No disclaimer words necessary. If your husband doesn’t acknowledge the issues with his parents, you should. Your son is watching how he’s being treated and so is your daughter. It’s BS. Good for you for realizing the issues and wanting to fix them.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t fly w me at all. I’ve had people favor my youngest daughter more then my oldest daughter…I put it to a stop…if you can’t do for both then don’t do for one.

3 Likes

You have to set boundaries for your children with your in-laws.Tell them how you feel and make a rule that if they don’t buy for both children then you will not except gift for just your daughter. Stick to it. Your son has enough going on with his health. He does not need people making him feel less than his sister. Also your daughter needs to understand why it’s not appropriate if she is old enough. If not stop it now. You and your husband must be on the same page and be united on this issue.

5 Likes

My daughter gets everything too and my son who’s youngest never gets nothing it boils my blood. Shouldn’t even have to ask the question tbh. The way I see it if u ain’t gnna buy them all a little something don’t bother because I don’t like my son feeling worthless

Love them the same or get out of it

2 Likes

Fuck that… I’d tell them if they can’t treat your children equally and do for both not to buy either of them anything. What you do for your children is your business. Nobody has the right to tell you what to do with your own children. Your husband should be standing up for your son!

FCK that and fCK them!!! Give your son a huge hug for me :hugs: please!

4 Likes

I would have cut them out a long time ago.

4 Likes

Girl, you need to stop that immediately!!! Not only is it absolutely wrong for that to be happening in the first place but it could eventually cause those children to become resentful toward each other. Believe me…been there done that.
If I were you, I would no longer accept any of the gifts unless there is one for your son as well. I’m so so sorry you have to deal with this.

7 Likes

Those people are rotten

1 Like

Not okay. You are his mother and you have 100 percent obligation to defend him and do what is right.

From now on, if they don’t provide gifts for both children, then they don’t provide gifts for either. They sound hateful and evil and I wouldn’t want them around my kids.

I also wouldn’t allow them to babysit my kids either. They sound like they may abuse the boy if given the chance.

And by you allowing them to treat your son that way is basically you enabling that mean behavior. If you don’t stick up for your son then who will?

9 Likes

:rage::rage::rage:your kids get treated the way YOU let them. Your husband isn’t any better since it’s his family

8 Likes

My kids’ dad’s mom did that and he wouldn’t say anything to them so I did. They would buy clothes and toys for my son but not my daughter or give my son more birthday or Christmas presents. I told them they had to treat them equally or I would cut them off.

2 Likes

I would not accept it …if they can’t buy for both don’t buy at all period. And I would of said so.ething a long time ago

7 Likes

I was in a marriage like this… he is now my ex husband. My last straw was one Christmas. When we all got a card and my daughters name was left out of it! The card was ripped up and posted back through the door where it came from.

4 Likes

Continue to do what you feel is right I believe you’re on the right track but I would talk to your son to see how he feels and let him know that you see what’s happening around him and that it’s not okay but you really don’t have that much control over what someone buys for someone let him know that he’s loved just as much and that just some people are not as thoughtful

1 Like

Cut it off. If that’s his step kid that’s still his kid too. They need to be treated equally. Guarantee he knows and sees it. I would take him on special days and have your SO take him shopping or arcade-something just them to show they care, you and him and have your daughter stay with your man. Because she is being spoiled which is ok but not when he gets nothing.

2 Likes

Marriage counseling asap if your spouse isn’t already trying to make this stop. Firm gift boundaries always, they only give gifts for gifting occasions and everyone gets a gift at group gift times or nobody gets a gift. The kids don’t even see the gifts until after you’ve made sure they’re appropriate. And you know they make comments as though the son is less than if they’re already so blatant so def make them less priority on the visit list. Personally I’d cut them off but that may backfire with your daughter. This all starts with the word NO and meaning it. GL!

1 Like

Don’t accept the gifts for the daughter if there is nothing for the son! Tell them thanks but no thanks! You need to speak up and put your foot down for your son! Sounds like you’re his only voice.

6 Likes

My family tryed this with my son bc he’s the only boy outta the grandkids all except my dad he treated both mine the same. But I would simple look at it say that’s nice but if they both don’t get something he’s not taking that bc it’s not far there’s two of them not one! So I kept refusing to accept things and kept reminding my children will be treated equally or don’t bother doing anything at all.

3 Likes

Talk to husband first. Then talk to them. Both equally or nothing. Siblings d spite blood line

2 Likes

Nope. We had to make a rule for my mother in law cuz she would favor my daughter over everything. Would promise her vacations, presents, horses, and so much more but wouldn’t pay attention to my son unless it was his birthday. Would always ask for my daughter to spend the night too always without my son. Both ate their biological grandkids. So we made a rule of no promises for stuff you have no way to promise. Like can’t do it soon. If one sleeps over. Both do. If she buys one presents she buys them both presents. Unless it’s a birthday

2 Likes

Tell them to mine their own business.

1 Like

Tell them off immediately… If u don’t put ur foot down for YOUR sick child then they will continue to abuse the situation… I’d already be flipping out about them buying for one and not the other… Then they want u to beat ur sick child for bad behavior… Maybe he notices that his sister is spoiled and he’s forgotten

2 Likes

Girl that is not okay!! I wouldn’t accept a single present if they didn’t have one for both my kids!!

1 Like

Its ok to have favorites it is not however ok to show favorites!

2 Likes

I wouldn’t accept anything from them even if my husband got mad about it. The fact they’re choosing your daughter & not your son says a lot. I would lose ALL contact with them. That’s toxic environment for your children. Talk to your husband & if he disagrees with you then tell his family they’re wrong for what they’re doing & will no longer be accepting “gifts” from them until they include your son. They clearly don’t see him as they’re own grandson & doesn’t look like they want too. I’m sorry you’re going through this but you’re your sons voice in this please speak up & show him he’s equally loved no matter what! All the best.

2 Likes

So sad!!! I’d try a sit down conversation with everyone, without the kids around. At a time when no gifts were given. Try to keep emotions out of it and just remind them that he’s a person with feelings too. That he deserves the same love, respect, affection and comfort as your daughter does. If they can’t provide that then changes to the spent with your daughter will have to change and no more gift will be accepted.

1 Like

I would not allow this as it’s just cruel to favor one over the other. Kids don’t understand. Tell them to treat them the same. If they don’t, dont accept the gifts

Throw the things they buy for her back at them.

I had an issue with family only wanting to take my 2nd boy everywhere but not the first. I put my foot down and said u take both for the night or none. Well now they don’t take any of them.

1 Like

Tell them unless they buy him something she doesn’t get anything, if they do give it back or simply don’t use it cause that’s so unfair!

NO. if they can’t buy stuff for both, they can’t bring it to your house. Sorry. But I’m not sorry! I have a Christmas ornament for my nephew and I’m waiting to send it to my sister because I want to make sure I get his little brother one, too. His brother is so little that he wouldn’t know it wasn’t fair but that doesn’t matter! If I buy for one, I buy for all. That’s the way it’s supposed to be.

I would send them written notice. Favoritism of one of my children over the other will no longer be accepted, if you buy something for one and not the other the item will be returned! and please refrain from telling me how to parent my children, I repeat my children! These rules are final and they are not up for discussion!

Im sorry n i dont want to offend any1 but…
This sent out a big red flag to me…
Please check hes not buying her silence ( hope u understand what i mean? We have 2 protect our kids…this stuff happens n like i said i dont wish to offend any1 n apologise in advance. I do hope if this is not the case that you are able to find a resolution to this as its hardly fair on the son is it?