Is it possible to be friends with your childs father?

My son’s dad and I are breaking up, and I need some positive stories as it’s already gone sour once… Long story short, the courts had to get involved. We sorted things amicably between ourselves, but that was a road we went down. I think I need some positive stories about your child’s father; it can be done, right?

130 Likes

It so can be done. I keep my ex at arms length. But we are friends. It’s just better for my sake his sake and mainly our kiddos.

It can definitely be done. My daughter and my grandson’s father have become great friends after their breakup. Took a little while though. Needless to say it’s better for the kid that the mom & dad get along. Co parenting works so much better that way.
Hope this helps.

Of course…it jus takes time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It can be done, as long as both parents are on board with harboring a positive relationship. My ex husband (we share a 13 yr old) and I arent buddy buddy by any means, but we are friendly and flexible with each other. If I needed help I’d feel comfortable calling him, and its vice versa. I’m remarried. Hes been remarried and divorced since we split. New relationships havent affected our coparenting negatively in any way.

Yes! Me and my twins father fought so bad when i.kicked him out, courts for 4 years, etc. I HATED him! Then after a year he found a new victim
, I mean girlfriend, and things got better. We are now friends!

My ex-husband and I went through a time when we really didn’t like each other, but were never negative about one another in front of our daughter. My parents really liked him and stayed friends with him. Over time we got better and now we can attend family functions together and give each other crap just like before. But it did take time and a lot of healing on both our parts.

Yes! It just takes time, work, and communication. You got this :muscle:

1 Like

Yes it is. When I left my ex my heart was filled with hatred and anger and I believe his was too. It took alot of work on both sides to see that it’s in the best interest of our daughter to get along. Great grandmas advice was a wake up call for us both. She said the greatest gift you can give your child is to love the child’s other parent no matter how much you hate your ex. They are NOT the same person. That allowed some perspective towards each other, as people and as parents. Figuring out boundaries was real work. And still can be years later. After a few awkward birthdays and holidays spent together (but broken up) we have overcome the obstacles of new spouses and adding more children to the blended mix. And honestly have become really appreciative of each other. Even friends. I recomend an open heart, HONEST communication and willingness to compromise. Sounds like a given. But really think about if it’s worth the fight before fighting. Good luck :heart:

Yup, gotta stay diplomatic and set an example for the kids. If you harbor bad feelings for the other parent keep them to yourself. Dr. Phil always counsels that you shouldn’t bring children into adult problems because they don’t need those issues on their back. It only causes them stress and anxiety, if you have feelings and issues that need to be addressed seek counseling.

What a stupid question. If you’re both adults yes. If one of you is acting like a child…no. Yes, it’s really that simple.

10 Likes

Time heals all wounds

Absolutely can be done. It takes some time… just be patient

My sons father & I have been broken up for close to 2 years now. My sons 3.
It’s taken us a while to finally figure out how to be friends but we finally did it. We respect each other’s wishes with our son, (within reason obviously) and we have to keep reminding each other - it’s not about us - it’s about our son.

Depends on whether both parties are mature enough to put their childs best interests first
My ex and are are like brother and sister, we get on just great. You have to be able to draw a line and work together no matter how nasty things might have got

I know a few people who are friends or at least civil with their ex. In my case it’s not that way. The thing is both parents have to want that for their child. Be willing to put anger and hurt away to get along for their kids. My ex hasn’t been able to do that and fights me over every little thing and talks shit about me to my son. However my cousin and her ex throw parties together and have holidays together. It really just depends

I have a friend who is best friends with her ex’s wife. Her fiance is good friends with her ex. They take vacations together. They genuinely make it a blended family. I admire her. My story isn’t as evolved. I’m not friends with my ex. I don’t hate him, but couldn’t give a shit about him, in any way that is outside of his involvement with our kids. I’ve been around his new wife a couple of times, seems nice enough, and seems to like my kids. That is my only concern as far as she goes.
We don’t need to be friends to do the right thing for our kids.

Yep! Me and my children’s dad are very amicable, you really do just have to put aside any anger or hate you may have for the sake of your children and yourself x

Yes definitely my ex husband and I have been separated 28 years we have a daughter who 30 we’re friends I went to his wedding and did his new wife’s hair on their big day

Me and my ex are really good friends :relaxed:at first it was awful but we both wanted what was best for our 2 children so we put the past behind us and got on with things​:grin:

I don’t think you have to be friends… You do however have the responsibility to be adults and act in the best interest of the kids.

1 Like

Has the thought ever accrued to anyone. If u couldn’t get alone well enough to stay together what makes u think u can get alone breaking up. That is so stupid if i could have made things anything near bearable there would not have been a divorce. While u are playing nice guy. He is going to fuck u good. The nice guy gets foot prints on your face. If the courts are involved. U better be ready for the worst

It is hard but once the romantic part goes…it is possible…the love you two have for the child/children will make it work…

1 Like

I’ve been divorced for 18 yrs didn’t go through the courts at all didn’t need to first couple of yrs were a little shaky but I stood firm in what I wanted and I was reasonable not bitchy then after wards we remained civil till present day he”s always been invited to all main birthday celebrations with his partner, at times go out to lunch with my daughter all 3 of us and he’s also met my partners when in a steady relationship so I guess it depends on both of u to keep it civil my daughter is now 22 we sometimes chat about our seperate lives and even give opinions lol
But like I said it depends if both of u can be civil

Once you both get past your feelings, most def., some people are better friends. And the better yall can get along and realize your still a “team” when it comes to your kids, that’s important…

Yes it’s totally possible. It won’t happen overnight because both of you will have to heal. It took me about a year to no longer harbor resentment as I am sure he probably felt the same. We’ve been happily divorced for 12 years now. Our child is 15. We get along great now. I consider him and his new wife friends. It not always easy but it’s better for our child that we get along. Hang in there! It is possible!!

When ADULTS make it about the children and not themselves, It most definitely works… SIMPLE!!

Yeah…what happened between you adults doesnt need to discussed with the child. Stay positive and remember to focus on love.

Yes. I have been divorced from my ex husband 15 years, we have a 21 year old daughter and we are great friends. The first year was filled with some tension and ground work, it takes time, but I promise it can be an amazing friendship or co parent relationship. Sometimes both parties need to be reminded that it best for the child or children involved.

Yes! Doing it! I get more respect from him then I do men I’ve been dating!

We are not obliged to be friends with anyone. Be civil, be respectful, be kind, that’s enough

It will takes time. And both have to work at it :slight_smile: dont bear the burden

Yes it can. It’s best for the child if you guys can be civil to each other… but you need to set some firm boundaries at the start and stick to them. Give each other time to heal, and try to be understanding towards each other.

Yes!! My son is 5 now. I am still friends with his dad. His dad lives 900 miles away and we go visit him once a year and he lets us stay with him for free. Even tells his new gfs they have no say in that matter and can get over it. He also visits our state once or twice a year. He sends holiday gifts and even sends me flowers every Mother’s Day. It IS possible! :heart:

6 Likes

When my parents divorced, they were awesome at coparenting and actually got along better after the divorce than before. We were able to do graduation parties together instead of separate. My mom and stepmom get along also. It’s definitely possible if both of you put your mind to it!!

4 Likes

It can be done. But it takes a lot of work and patience. We’ve been separated for 5 years and just started to get along the last year. It’s tough.

It’s different in everyone’s case. I’m about finished with my divorce and I don’t speak to my ex what so ever nor will I ever speak to him again! I go through my children’s grandparents because they have to supervise his custody.
I do know some people who are very good friends with there ex’s but it just takes a lot of work to get it that way.

Yes! I got pregnant at 19 with my first. Im almost 30 now and we co parent really well together and are still friends. Never let jealousy get in the way tho. Thats when it gets sticky. It took us a few years but we are great co parents now

Find a common ground with respect and keep in mind of your child, don’t talk negatively about eachother infront of your children. Hope all goes well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. I’m friends with my kids dad’s.

It is possible, it’s definitely hard especially if one of you still harbor feelings for the other.

It is possible, it may not always seem that way but if you always put the child’s best interest first then it’s more then possible to be on a friends level with your ex. My daughters father and I know no matter what our daughter comes first. In the beginning after the breakup it was rough we were not in a good spot. We worked through it though and 5 years later were on good terms. I’m getting married and expecting a baby any day now with my fiancé. My fiancé and my daughters dad are building a relationship too and will even discuss things with out me, which I’m perfectly ok with because we’re all her parents now. We are all aware that our daughter comes first. She just happens to have 2 dads now which she thinks is pretty fucking awesome.

My soon to be ex husband and myself are best friends. 10 years together, a beautiful 3 year old baby girl and tons of respect. Nothing like cheating or dishonesty is the cause of our divorce tho, we honestly just grew apart as a couple. But I love him as my daughters father and we get along great. It is possible, I think as long as you can get past the reasons for your relationships breakdown. Good luck!

Three and a half years it took but we are there some good some bad but we communicate better now and no animosity xx

It can be done. It takes alot of communication, putting both your prides to the side, and compromise… it was a long road but now my daughter has a mom a dad and two great step parents. I’m so glad she has the support system she has.

My daughters dad and i started of horrible and one day we were arguing and we just said stop what are we doing? Now our daughter is grown and we are still friends . I went to his wedding. I love my daughters step mom. It can work

1 Like

My son’s Dad is one of my best friends. He’s a good guy, we just weren’t a good fit anymore. We’ve both found happiness with new partners and still enjoy each other’s company and conversation. It’s easy to do, just remind yourself how happy it’ll make your child to still be part of such a loving, secure family unit. My husband and I, my ex and his girlfriend will all be there for our sons important things x

1 Like

It definitely can, but only if both parties are willing to be adults.
My ex and I are so much better now than we ever were together. The judge even joked that we were the happiest people he’s ever seen getting a divorce lol.

His new wife is one of my best friends, my husband and my ex are great friends. We’ve even all lived together at one point. We co-parent great, and it’s been the best thing for our daughter… After all, it’s all about doing what’s best for the children.

1 Like

Me and my sons father broke up. Of course, at first it was full of hate and anger. But over time we became civil enough to just be friends. But with a new girlfriend in the picture we’ve had to start over. I know sooner or later it’ll be back to civil and friendship but you just have to let things run it’s course

It is possible. The most important thing is to remember to put the well-being of your child first, and communicate.

2 Likes

My ex and I get along great! We know it’s what’s best for our daughter. I know I can call him for a favor and vice versa.

I only communicated with my x if it had to do with our son. I didn’t involve him in my day to day life. It wasn’t his business. Once he got that gist it’s been okay. Our son turned 16 last week, we divorced when he was 3…

1 Like

You would hope so. But, with me no. He could never grow up and he has done some dirty things to the kids and me.

I am older but yes it can be done. Until the divorce came and went we spoke and treated each other with respect. Afterwards we knew we had to act like grown ups. Set a good example for our kids. My ex would even come out to me and my new hubby’s house to have dinner and we invited him to all things with the kids. When my daughter got married my now husband paid for all her wedding. So she ask him to walk her half way down the isle then her Dad took her and handed her off. As my ex got older he got cancer. We went to the hospital and brought him home when he got discharged. In his final hours at the hospital or I should say days. He was asking for me so I went up and stayed with him . My husband said that it would be fine. Then hospice came and he was sent to his daughters house(my Step daughter), I went there also till the end. And me and my current husband gave a thousand dollars towards funeral. The kids all together just couldn’t come up with it all. By this time you are probably wondering about the man I am married to now. Well we are 21 years strong. And now God bless him he is a care giver to me. I have had cancer in my lungs twice, and right fight brain cancer. But yes I always said me and the made better friends then lovers.

2 Likes

My ex and I was friends for 11 years after our divorce. He even went to dinner with me and the kids an my spouse. My kids from my second marriage called him uncle lol we got along great. Until he was remarried and she told him it was weird and needed to end, that being that friendly with your ex an her husband was not normal. He hasn’t seen his kids in 2 years because she stopped that too :frowning::neutral_face: it can be done as long as everyone involved understand

1 Like

Unfortunately not with my ex! He doesn’t do jack shit for these kids and makes me out to be the bad guy! He’s an every other weekend super hero father because he wants it that way! He refused to help with kids school supplies etc. he never gets himself involved in our kids lives at all! I honestly hate him for all he doesn’t do for his children!!

Totally can be done, only speed bump may be when you start seeing someone else. Keep communication open, and be respectful, and dont point out issues like a go, rather tell them I see you do that like that, and thats a good way of doing it, but have you tried it like this, as that works for me, and he can do the same, dont take anything in a negative way, and train your brain to take things the best possible way. Youll get there because you clearly want that!

Yes mine is my best friend

Yes do it for your child

Yep it work if your not a pos gangs involved drug addicts and meth users around his kids should be just fine

Exes can absolutely be friends. It’s all about respect, love, and forgiveness. Respect each other enough to not be nasty, choose to still love them even if now it’s a platonic friendship love, and forgive whatever may have happened.

My husband is still friends with some exes of his. They’re not best friends or anything, but they still talk amicably and can enjoy each others’ friendships despite it all. And while I believe that we won’t ever split XD Unless it was over something horrible like abuse, we would be able to remain friends too. Especially with our son being a part of it.

My sons father and I haven’t been together for some time now. Our son is 10 and we are really good friends. I go over to his mothers house with my son and spend time with their family all the time. His dad and I hug every time we see each other and do birthday’s together. It is possible if you are both mature enough and realize what’s best for the kids

22 Likes

Absolutely… it’s for the best interest of the children me and my ex were able to enjoy are grandchildren together. As a family :heart:he died a year ago this month still miss him. He was a good dad and papaw!! I came from a home where my parents couldn’t get along so I knew that it want gonna happen to us! I always told my kids we r still a family no matter what! Prayers to you

2 Likes

Basically, If he is a good dad and he loves him then that’s all to it.
Be a good mom, let him be a good dad.
Not much different than if y’all were together.
Live your lives, find happiness and just be friendly.
Let him talk to him whenever.
Let him talk about him whenever.
Let him see him whenever.

It’s all about your son.

23 Likes

It can be done. I’m not “friends” with my child’s dad by any means, but we maintain a really good parenting relationship. He sees his son every weekend, we workout things amongst ourselves now. When we got divorced, it got pretty ugly. It got ugly a few times during our separation, actually. And our marriage wasn’t rainbows and sunshine, hence the divorce. I wish some things could be better. But I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with him the other day just asking about how his mom was doing and catching up a little. It can be okay as long as your willing to get it there. Stay strong.

12 Likes

When the focus is on the health and nurturing of the child, and all other issues between the parents never get in the way, two people can make a life for the child where he/she can thrive. I have seen great experiences of this and wish my parents could have figured it out.

5 Likes

My kids dad and I were married 10 years. The actual separation was messy and painful but shortly into it we decided that the kids were the priority. They had no control and it was up to us to lead them positively. We became friends. Its been a year and we get together and watch a movie with the kids, do joint birthday parties and even for my birthday he took us to dinner and had the “kids” pay for mommy. It can be done. Its just an agreement you come to.

14 Likes

Yes, it’s totally possible. My ex and I split when our daughter was 3. She’s now 12. We’ve had our ups and downs and disagreements, but we are good friends. I’m now also friends with his wife and as they have a new daughter the same age as my now husband and Myselfs son the kids all play together. Once a year all three kids take a picture together and we all hang it in our living rooms. It all depends on the situation. And as time goes those situations change and you have to learn to adapt. We are very fortunate and our child has benefited greatly from it. As well as her half siblings. Good luck to you. And remember sometimes even when your mad as hell and feel like everything and everyone is against you, you must be the bigger person for your child’s sake. It’s all about the child. If you can make a friendship between you and the dad work, your child will forever be thankful. :heart:

13 Likes

Acting like adults is such a big deal in this situation. I know it’s hard, but it will get better! I was a stay at home mom with two small babies. I divorced my husband. He got a lawyer I did not. I was afraid of loosing everything. In the end us just being grown ups and not being petty really made a difference. Coming from someone who had a very serious drama filled marriage. We had our low lows. But I’m proud of how we handled the divorce. It will get better! You will be happier when it’s all said and done. Two years later and we co parent like no ones business. We’re happier not together. Both awesome parents

4 Likes

Absolutely. You need to block out everything that happened between you two. It no longer maters. Only the children matter. They will grow up seeing their parents getting along. Never talk bad about the other parent around the children. It’s difficult but worth the rewards. My daughter is 31 and successful. She never felt the ugliness of divorce because we made sure she didn’t.

My daughters father and I recently separated. Are staying in the same house at the moment, have civilly come up with days he gets time with her alone and days i get time alone. We still hang out all together and we also vent. Sometimes it feels like we’re closer now than we were in our 4 year relationship. So yes you can have a positive outcome.

4 Likes

I hated my daughters father for a good year after I divorced him, he was not a good fit for me as a husband. However bc we had been such close friends be we dated even we are definitely on a different level now. We aren’t friends but we definitely are friendly

3 Likes

Keep your children in the heart of the situation. They don’t have anything to do with you and their dad not being together. As hard as it is, try to never talk negatively about their father. I hope he will offer your the same respect. Co-parenting is not easy, but your kids deserve both of their parents in their lives. For me, the situation improved with time. I hope it does for you too.

3 Likes

My Ex and i are very good friends. Well always care for eachother as we have children together and Grandchildren. I socialize w he and his wife as we all go to Reno with our mutual friends!! It can be done. Kids are happy they dont have to pick and choose as we all get along!! Life is to short to be negative!!!:+1::+1::blush::blush::heart::heart:

5 Likes

From the child’s point of view…my parents got along good. No fighting, name calling, stuff like that. Never spoke a bad thing against each other. When my father died my mother cried. They had been divorced for almost 45 yrs

3 Likes

It is possible to be friends with your child’s father. I am divorced 10 years. It took a little while to get where we are but he has become one of my best friends.

Yessss!! My parents divorced over 20 years ago and have always maintained a great relationship. They both show up to everything and they both have remarried and have been friendly with the new spouses. They made sure to never speak poorly of one another in front of us and now that I have kids of my own they both still talk to each other and show up for everything together for me and my kids. They come over every Christmas morning and hang out and do presents and dinner together with us! It’s possible I promise!!

4 Likes

My mom and dad are still friends til this day. It can happen if both want it. It was much better on me and my brother that my parents could talk and attend our functions without any animosity. Prayers to yall

2 Likes

Do yourself a favor and go to family therapy. I went with my now husband and stepson at the time 11 years ago. I told them all I will not stay of they can’t all get it together. Eventually x-wife and new husband were incorporated and we all went together. It was not working until we all did it. It takes time and work on everyone’s part but it can be done. Our situation was pretty bad. Good luck.

2 Likes

My ex and I have been divorced for 6 yrs, we have a 13yr old together, hes my best friend!! My current partner and my ex get on very well, my son from my current partner adores my ex, we are an imperfect blended family. At the end of the day it’s not about the adults, it’s about the child that you share!!

6 Likes

Yes, if yall focus only on the best interests of yalls children. My oldest daughter’s father and I get along great. Hes friends with my husband and i love his fiancee. We all go out to eat and fishing and all that good stuff as one big family. As long as you both take your emotions outta the equation and put the child’s feelings and best interests first, it will be easy to be friends, more like teammates. You cant get caught up in the drama. Best wishes.

5 Likes

It can be done. Sometimes there will be bumpy roads. There will be times when y’all disagree and argue but for the most part you can become friends for your kids. My kids daddy is Amazing with them. But not so great of husband or boyfriend material. But we get along great for the kids.

2 Likes

Of course! Its still new so there will be tension but things can and will get better if you both want them to and work at it.

It’s so important to show your children that they are still loved and they can be loved even if the 2 of you aren’t together.

2 Likes

Yes it can be good… im friends with both my kids dads… my oldest son has a different dad then my younger 2 boys… we get along … it was easier for my oldest son dad and I be Friends… its still a little crazy and hard with my other ex… but we are working on it

3 Likes

Do not ever say anything bad about the other parent in front of child… in front of your child they are the best parent ever… my dad said horrible things about my mom I still remember… we no longer have a relationship. Remeber when you speak bad about the other parent your speaking about half that child…

10 Likes

Absolutely my sons father is amazing and we Coparent well and remain respectful. I’m lucky everyday that he is my sons father

1 Like

It may take some time but yes it can be done!! At first the relationship with my boys father was hard, and very strained. Fast forward and now we can have a conversation, work out any problem we may have constructively, and even laugh and have even confided in each other. I was planning to go see my boys this summer (he lives in CA and has them for the summer) but have been having a hard time finding a place to stay because of Covid and he offered to let me stay at his house and even let me use his car to do things with the boys.

3 Likes

Me and my ex husband co parent it was a struggle at first but now we all, me, him, and his girlfriend and her son all communicate and spend time together even if he’s a good dad and there are no petty issues impeding you should be fine but it is work at first you will find your groove :+1: good luck!

3 Likes

My parents never spoke bad of one another in front of me. They attended events and were friendly. It’s still like that now that I’ve had children. Even if he doesn’t take the high road you still should because once they get older they will see things for what they really are. It might be tough and hard to do but it can be done.

2 Likes

I coparent with my daughters dad. It took awhile to get where we are but we always put our child first. We butt heads here and there, and he drives me crazy sometimes but we get along way better now than we did as a couple! It’s not easy at first, but it can work out.

3 Likes

Yes…keep in mind…if your kids see you being able to get along it’s going to make their lives sooooo much better.:purple_heart:

2 Likes

Depends a lot on the separation and how they are afterwards, a lot of things factor into it.

My mom and dad had me as teenagers and separated extremely young, they can get along fine. Because both of them were responsible parents, it was easy for them to be co parents.
Personally, I despise my oldest sons bio, who he is as a person is what makes it hard to get along with him, and has nothing to do with our relationship crap, that was over 11 years ago and I could care less.

If he’s an irresponsible jerk who sucks at parenting and casually forgets he has a child, it might be hard. If he’s a good parent to your children, it’ll be just fine.

2 Likes

Yes it can. Me and my kids dad did not get along when we were together but ever since we split, things are great but he helps when needed as do I. Sometimes, it just takes being apart, plus the kids will realize how much happier you guys are

1 Like

I have a great friendship with my ex husband and we get along great. He’s even friends with my new husband they are out riding motorcycles now!

2 Likes

We have been split up for 7 years. We’re friends, help each other when we can. We get along great. He’s an awesome dad.

1 Like

Yes.
It dont happen over night, but if two people can put their differences aside and just move forward yes. My child’s father is one of my best friends.

1 Like

Yes! I have done it twice. I did it by being honest. I want this and this is why i think its fair. I listened to their thoughts. We came to an agreement. I told them what my next step would be if we couldn’t agree, court. Child support almost went to court for one, when he realized they would order twice what i wanted he was willing to agree to what i asked. I was still willing to agree to that amount, but at that point i maintained through the court system bc he pushed against it so hard and he asked for it to be through court, he understood. It was all about compromise. We always communicate about everything. Our significant others have to be ok with that and understand or they have to leave. These are the fathers of our children they aren’t going anywhere ever.

1 Like

If both parties are mature adults you can find middle ground. Sharing a child is better adults dont realize what they do to a child when their putting other parent down and arguing in front. I’ve had this experience but tried to be nice to no avail. Gl

1 Like

It can be done not by me lol but my brother and his ex wife are good friends even their new spouses are friends with each other they hang out all the time so yes it can be done. Just don’t hold grudges. Mine is a different story so …

1 Like

My daughter’s father and his wife are my best friends. My fiancee and I talk to the two of them everyday.

1 Like