Is My Husband Just Being Forgetful Or Is It Something Else?

This question was submitted to our community via our Facebook page and/or our Answers forum. Responses are also taken from the community. If you have your own parenting or relationship question you would like answers to, submit on Facebook or Answers.

QUESTION:

"Anyone else have an SO with terrible memory and yet they swear up and down they said one thing or did one thing when you clearly remember the opposite happening???? My husband and I seem to argue all the time about something he said in a conversation that he swears he never said. Like today he said our first sons first ultrasound had a 120 hr and then swore up and down that he said 140. Then later today I said our son doesn’t like to be held back but he instantly started says “I’m not holding him down” I never said down I said back. I’m such an over thinker that I over think everything said to me/ everything I say so it’s a little triggering when this happens"

RELATED: Will Smith Reveals What Works for His and Jada’s Relationship: ‘I Don’t Suggest This Road for Anybody’

TOP ANSWERS (AS SELECTED BY MODERATOR):

The following top answers have been selected by a moderator from hundreds of responses to the original question.

"Given the context of the two examples you provided— that’s not something I would be fighting about. If the examples were more odd and presented signs of cheating or an affair based on the small changes in his responses then I’d be like ok, but I think you already have determined the answer is that you’re an over thinker."

"Maybe you are just more detail oriented than he is"

"If this is what you fight about you are doing pretty good. Stop sweating the small stuff"

"Those are such silly examples to be upset about. Men are forgetful. Don’t sweat it"

"My husband’s so forgetful. But his is more of a I never said that. He’ll forget things I’ve told him. It’s so frustrating. But I deal with it. And we usually don’t make a huge deal about it. But I’d say, your man needs to brush it off. You both do. He needs to brush it off and not really get angry/frustrated. And you need to brush it off."

"I personally forget things a lot. I forgot the time my youngest son was born. My oldest corrected me. We had to check his bc. Yet I can remember birth dates of kids I babysat as a teen & relatives. I misunderstand what people say a lot. It’s not purposeful. It’s being human. If you’re constantly being critical of him he’s naturally going to be on the defensive."

"Get cctv in ur home… if he genuinely has a problem … this will show him … without any doubt… and he won’t be able to argue with u… I know exactly how u feel… and so frustrating and annoying it is with their denial… Good luck"

"Does he have ADHD or add? Or anxiety? Or depression? Well. There ya go. Sometimes I think I say one thing and it comes out as something else because I have too many thoughts in my head. Sometimes it’s also easy to misinterpret things too (held down held back) where he misunderstood what you meant and thought you were accusing him of something he didn’t do. But honestly…if someone nitpicked at me or picked fights with the way you’re saying you do him over such petty stuff…I’d leave…and I wouldn’t look back."

"I’m very forgetful due to my depression. Maybe he is too"

Have a response to this question? Leave it below to help a mama out! Or leave your own question and get responses from real moms!

READ ALL ANSWERS BELOW: