Is my MIL right?

I drop and run with my boy. He was really upset the first week but now he only gets upset if I hang around. They soon settle and see its fun there

It’s normal for children to do that for like the first month up too three month. They need time to adjust. It would be better to take her and stay right outside maybe somewhere she can see a parent for an 30 to an hour for a week or two then drop her off for her first day. I worked at a preschool and they’d advise parent to get children adjusted that way…

My son would cry at drop off but he got over it after 5 minutes
I would drop him off, hand his stuff to the teacher, say I love you and go. He now gets out of the car and walks into school like he owns the joint!

But took from November until June. It takes time! But sitting in class doesn’t help the situation,

Have your little one bring her favorite stuff animal or blanket or baby doll to school
That’s what I ended up doing

1 Like

As a former preschool teacher let me tell you that MOST kids do this. It’s a hard experience and takes time to get used to. But 99% of the time they stop crying before you make it out of the parking lot. Also, I hated when parents just wanted to sit in the class all day…it threw me off of my routine everytime. Volunteering is one thing, it’s encouraged. But having parents in the classroom all of the day usually doesn’t end well.

3 Likes

I mean giving in and taking her home is the same thing in my opinion….

5 Likes

They go to school young enough at 5 why send them even earlier. Loved my kids when they were at home, playing, being kids, it don’t last long enough as is, they grow up fast.

Your child your choice but your both coddling her drop her off and walk away she knows if she throws a fit one of you will sit with her or bring her home

1 Like

Honestly most kids will stop crying by the time you get to the car. It usually stops by the 2nd week. They aren’t getting the chance to get out of this phase having grandma there every time.

If you want your daughter to get over whatever it is that it keeping her from going into school don’t bring her home. Your mil found a solution to the problem that you didn’t by bringing her home every time she cries. Maybe one day you sit in the class on the night you don’t have to work to see how she does in the classroom and see if you can figure out why she is crying(IE kids being mean or what not). Maybe she is just being a typical 3 year old and knows if she cries mommy will bring me home so I don’t have to go. I would put my foot down if you go and sit in the class with her and know she actually enjoys going to school and has fun once she is in the classroom.(not really put your foot down but you can help her by reminding her that she loves doing all the activities once she is in the classroom and that you know it’s hard to say goodbye to mommy but guess what mommy will still be their when you get home(depending on when you leave for work) or mommy will be their to get you up in the morning for school again if you go to work before she gets home from school.

2 Likes

I’m a preschool teacher. So, I see this all the time.
It’s a very hard thing to work through. However, some kiddos aren’t ready for preschool at the age of three. There is definitely a transition period. I would recommend that your MIL slowly decreases her time sitting with your little in the class. Help her make the transition into the class, and then say goodbye once she is settled.
Most transitions take about a month, but I wouldn’t give up if this is something you really want

I have a 6 yr old now that when he first started going to daycare at 3 he would cry and I would have to push him off of me and they would have to hold onto him while he cried and screamed but within 5 min he was fine.

1 Like

My grandma sat in class with one of my cousins for a couple years and it was a security thing for her

It could be a security thing. Or even anxiety based. My son couldn’t leave me at 3. Literally. He just would never settle. But he’s got severe anxiety(diagnosed at 4 and confirmed again at 8).
Even at 5, when school started it was iffy. He missed a lot of a school. 6 it was a tad easier…but still rough. 7 was better…and now at 8, he’s still not a fan and I have to be the one to bring him. If dad does it for me(we live together lol) it makes him “sad”(his word). Which plays into his behaviour at school (as he has behavioural diagnoses to).
So ya…she just might feel better having an adult she trusts there. Like my son.
I’ve sat thru many things I shouldn’t have had to…so he could still experience it, while feeling secure.
So if the mil is willing to sit there…who’s it hurting? Your daughter gets to experience the friendships and such, but with the security that her person is there.
If the preschool doesn’t mind…then what’s the harm?

It’s all part of them learning…let her go by herself…its the only way she will learn to be in a classroom environment. The grandma being there is actually holding her back from learning . I run a daycare in my home and it’s so common for kiddos to be somewhat emotionally when they get dropped off at this age. The school and daycares are educated in what to do when this happens. The best thing to do is redirect the kiddo to something fun like toys books maybe a table with colors and coloring book set up . This will almost always work within a few minutes kiddos will calm down…also this will not last 4ever kids will outgrow the emotional drop off …the first year everything is just so knew. My advice is to drop kido off without grandma so she can lean .

If she just recently started maybe something happened at daycare and she is afraid to go.

See i had the opposite problem. my kids couldn’t start playing fast enough and threw fits when we picked them up because they where playing

Have her bring a picture of the family so that way she’ll feel safe. I do that with my kiddos. We have a family board. If the child feels anxious or sad,they can go to their pictures to calm down.

You need to be brave and take her. Hugs and kisses and leave. I can almost promise the fit stops very son after you leave.

My grandson cryed when he was dropped off yrs ago. Come to find out he was being bullied.

Taking her home everytime she cries is coddling her. Drop her off, tell her you’ll be back and love her, hug her, kiss her and go. After a few times it will stop. All you’ve done is taught her if she cries she gets to go home.