Is my son a troublemaker?

He is 2… TWO. He doesn’t need therapy, he needs a place that understands toddlers.

7 Likes

He’s only 2. He’s being normal.

4 Likes

I would find a new program! I’m still undoing the damage from my 6 year old starting pre-k at 3 from a place like that. I wish I found a Montessori based program. He now has anxiety issues and no self confidence from always being the bad boy and not jumping to cooperate right when they asked. My youngest now is in a Montessori based private pre-k and it’s much more child friendly. They even have a calming corner if their emotions are too big and they need a minute to just go be by themselves. He doesn’t get yelled at or reprimanded like my oldest was in public school. It’s gentle parenting and my youngest is thriving.

1 Like

At 2, especially only the first few days to expect anything different is totally unreasonable.

5 Likes

Your 2 yr old is being a 2 yr old. No therapy needed. Sounds like you need a new school/daycare.

5 Likes

I’d find another school!!!
That’s ridiculous! He’s only 2 yrs old!

2 Likes

At 2 kids should be at home , work with him for a extra year then enroll him

2 Likes

Maybe something is happening to him to behave that way that the teachers aren’t saying or maybe the teachers are picking at him, maybe go in unannounced and watch what’s going on

He’s freaking 2!!! Teachers struggle with 4-5 year olds let alone 2 year olds lol. My daughter was always placed in the front of the line because she would get distracted and walk off if in the back of the line. And this was at 5 years old.

3 Likes

I worked in a daycare as a toddler teacher for several years before switching to nursing. This is normal behavior for children who are pretty new to a structured daycare setting. We literally had trainings on how to handle these kind of behaviors. To me, it seems like your daycare needs to do better :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

He’s 2 not the 4/5. That’s just crazy.

3 Likes

He’s 2! What do you expect? Let children be CHILDREN

1 Like

he is only 2 . in my opinion thats way too young to be in a class with those kinds of expections

4 Likes

He’s 2. Take him out of that program, please.

4 Likes

Girl my daughter is 2 and they would have been calling me on the first day🤣

Trouble maker at 2!?!?!? Not even possible IMO. yes you can always get him seen by a therapist and do some OT. But to expect a two year old to stand in a single file line and to follow directions on the first try isn’t going to happen. I have a high schooler, middle and elementary age students you ask any of them to stand in a line quietly for more then a minute or two you best believe they are all talking.
The “issues” you are having seems like ordinary behaviors that will change with guidance. But I wouldn’t make my two year old feel he is a bad child because of these reasons. Also your child simply might not be ready for the classroom setting yet.

2 Likes

Start homeschooling or change schools, do what’s best for your little one. It’s obvious the school runs under a dictatorship kids the age of 2 don’t stand quietly in line waiting patiently to be told what to do.

3 Likes

Wish we could see how they were at 2yrs old

He’s 2? If I asked my son to stand in line with other kids he’d just mess around and try and mess with other kids and then run off. Kids throw toys and throw fits what are they expecting? My son would get kicked out the first day if they expected this from him😅

2 Likes

Hes 2. He should cooperate when he sees other kIds in line. That’s what my kids would normally do. However alot of behavioral issues tantrums and listening, are simply bc a child is tired or teething or not feeling well. If they are fed, changed, and comfortable they generally do ok. So ide definitely see what that school is doing bc hes reacting too something. Also at 2 the child shouldn’t need any kind of therapist unless he’s nonverbal or has a condition . That’s crazy.

2 Likes

He’s 2!!! Are you kidding me! I would did a different school!

1 Like

If they expect him to stand still I would suggest a fidget tool for those times. He can use his hands and move while following directions. However in my opinion it sounds like they expect a lot from toddlers.

3 Likes

There’s no way… you cannot expect a 2 year old to stand in line or follow directions like this. I’d be looking for a new program or homeschooling.

5 Likes

They are called terrible 2s for a reason. They are being unreasonable in their expectations. That being said what was he in occupational therapy for ? Some kids have sensory needs that need to be worked on before they can “calm down”. So I would start him on OT and see if something needs to be addressed. The therapist may even be able to come to school with your son and give some suggestions. 2 is a little too young to abide by their unrealistic expectations.

Yes that’s normal! They are expecting waaaaay too much from a 2yo. Heck it’s still common to be that way when they start Kinder and where they begin to learn that stuff.

3 Likes

He is only 2?! I agree with getting the therapist for him…he had one before for a reason and I’m assuming it will only help him or there wouldn’t be a need for one. Don’t let that school hurt your feelings. If you are concerned ask to see the videos so that you as his mother can see what behaviors they are complaining about so you can do your part at home. He just started and is probably just adjusting. I’ve seen too many stories on the news about these places abusing kids to just trust their word sadly. It seems odd that the issues are just at the daycare to me but it could simply be him just having a hard time adjusting. :unamused: I don’t understand why they are expecting 2 year olds to stand in lines and not be disruptive either?! Could be your son but I suspect there are other things going on that might be making him act out…he is either not comfortable there for some reason and still adjusting or being provoked in some way even if it’s a minor thing. Don’t be on the crazy mama near defense just yet (unless necessary of course) but don’t just take their word either. Ask to see footage and see how he does with a therapist. Good luck Mama and no your son is not a trouble maker he is a toddler and you’re doing a great job!

1 Like

We called in nursing school many years ago Terrible twos and trying Threes!!!

I had 3 kids and none of them acted like that at any age. I would be finding him a therapist. Does he really need to go to school?

1 Like

They aren’t expecting to much for a 2 year old to me. Sounds like he already had therapy for something so it can’t hurt to get him another one.

1 Like

Hes 2…what do they expect

At two? They want him to stand in line and behave properly on day three??? Ummmm heck well trained kids can barely do it. This is all new to him. He’s two , he can barely talk and tell you how he feels let alone process what you’re asking of him. It takes time. More than a few days. I’m sure he’s confused and trying to get those emotions out. Find a place that knows toddlers.

2 Likes

First of all 2 year old children aren’t ready for school. He’s still a baby. Too many expectations for 2 years old.

2 Likes

My oldest son did this all the way up until kindergarten. I ended up taking him to therapy and he was diagnosed adhd. They put him on concerta and all bad behaviors stopped. And he was able to concentrate and learn more.

It’s normal for a 2 year old.

1 Like

He is 2 if there are more than 5 kids its too many for 1 teacher to handle and teach. They should be playing and having fun not expected to sit or stand in one place for too long.

A two year old can’t be considered bad. They’re a baby

1 Like

He’s two not ready for school or standing still. Very normal

5 Likes

A toddler LISTENING AND STANDING STILL​:skull::skull::skull::skull: that’s actually hilarious. They are still learning & their brains are still developing. They sound like clowns​:joy:

5 Likes

Yup normal tantrums… maybe he is upset at 2 being away?

Kids and listen are polar opposite :joy::joy::joy::joy: don’t worry too much he is only 2 after all.

1 Like

He may be struggling due to the change. You can start by talking to him about it. Asking him why he’s so upset. You’d be surprised at what they may say. Maybe bring your trusted therapist in to make their own determination as to the situation.

1 Like

I would have kept up with the OT sessions. But in all honesty here your kid is 2 they are still learning how to process their emotions and being excited. He’s probably excited to be around other kids all the time.

1 Like

I’m a child care teacher, first,he is 2, they are movers, second it’s his third day and he is still getting adjusted,three,I would have continued the therapy. Some children take longer than others to adjust to change. Good teachers know how to handle it well. I’m speaking from experience.

10 Likes

Yup normal tantrums… maybe he is upset at 2 being away?

Kids and listen are polar opposite :joy::joy::joy::joy: don’t worry too much he is only 2 after all.

1 Like

I definitely feel like they are expecting way too much out of a 2-year-old. If they can’t handle two year old tantrums then they probably aren’t in the right line of work. I’m not saying they should let every child through tantrums and such and just be happy with it or whatever, but like I said they expect too much and they can’t expect a toddler to just be quiet and cooperative at all times

3 Likes

He is two and at that age adjustment to new routines are hard to adapt to they should understand that

2 Likes

Stand still and in a line at 2? You’re joking right?
To make you feel better I’ll tell you that at SIX my son decided to throw a fit and play leap frog on the desks to get away from the teacher. :woman_shrugging:t2:
Kids are little shits. :joy:
Get him some therapy, or don’t. You’ll both be just fine.

He’s only 2 :slightly_frowning_face: still a bub !!! and hes been getting therapy :slightly_frowning_face: Wow…

5 Likes

Something is wrong and he can sense it mama.

4 Likes

I’m sure the teacher knows how a 2 year old should act.

2 Likes

Why is a 2 year old in OT?

2 Likes

He’s 2 for gosh sakes!

2 Likes

My 2 year old does the opposite of everything I say to piss me off on purpose and smiles while doing it…A toddler that is GOOD is considered unusual :joy::joy::joy: I wouldn’t worry they definitely have way too high expectations.

My high school teachers didn’t even expect this much from us…

2 Likes

He’s 2 maybe he feels uncomfortable, unsafe. I’d see if you can observe him, from afar off. See what might be triggering him. Maybe older kids. Maybe he’s not ready yet.

Ahhhhhhhh! I’m screaming :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy: HE 2!!! :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

As an early childhood educator and lead teacher from infants to 5 year old this is pretty normal especially with a child who has just started daycare.
The standing in line, following directions,etc isn’t going to just happen without guidance, redirection and patience from the teachers.
I can’t believe these people are in charge of toddlers.

5 Likes

Behavioral problems are not uncommon in children as young as 2. Had similar problems with my son. OT is not behavioral therapy so it would be prudent to have him evaluated. My son ended up having ADHD and needed just some additional support from me at home and his teachers at school. Never medicate a child that young unless they are dangerous to themselves or others. Dont be afraid to get a 2nd or 3rd opinion if you dont agree with the 1st and yes…hes just 2, but those behaviors are maladaptive for a 2 year old and should be addressed asap.

This whole post is just upsetting. The kid is 2, do we not remember the terrible 2’s?!? That is still a thing and they will get over it. In the mean time, put your 2yo in a school that doesn’t rush development. Take care a better blessed.

7 Likes

His age says it all. He sounds like a normal 2 year old that’s overwhelmed. You can’t expect a 2 year old to quietly stand in line. Sounds like he needs a daycare with reasonable expectations for a 2 year old, not school. He only been in this world for 2 years, give him a chance to grow and learn. I wouldn’t rush to therapy because a two year old has tantrums and can’t stand in line. He isn’t old enough to understand.

4 Likes

Coming from someone who was a Montessori Teacher for a class of 2-3 year olds, those are ridiculous expectations for his age. I would have never expected anything less then kids having tantrums and not listening, THEY ARE 2. It is the teachers job to be patient and TEACH them how to behave in a class room setting. I had 6 kids all between 2 and 3 years old, there was always at least on child everyday who didn’t wanna do their work, or pick up, or sit at the table and eat lunch, or stand in line, or not have a tantrum. Its part of who they are and how they express themselves at that age. I think the place your son is at needs a reality check and I would honestly find somewhere that will be patient with your child and teach them like they are supposed to do not single them out and talk them up to be so much trouble.

3 Likes

Change the school
I worked as a pre school teacher we meet kids like this. They just need some attention from us. They need to be held in our arms they need reassurance from us that they are safe with us.

2 Likes

My son was the same way. One daycare even kicked him out because he couldn’t stay still and was disruptive. Come to find out he was on the spectrum and adhd. There is a line between normal and a cry for help. If your worried take him to a doctor/therapist. I’m glad I did. I was able to get early intervention for him. He’s 10 now and a great kid with great behavior. Not sayin it could be the same thing but behavioral therapy works great too.

1 Like

I used to work in a daycare, in a 2s classroom… their expectations are too high. We had a little boy who had a little more trouble than others (wouldn’t stay with the group, throwing toys & furniture, biting, etc) we adjusted our staffing (3 teachers instead of 2) so we could work with him and keep the other kids safe

1 Like

Your son sounds like a two year old who is having a hard time adjusting. I think either the school is not a great fit or they need to be reminded that this is new for him and maybe allow some grace. When my son would get upset like that we practiced taking deep breaths together until he calmed down enough to listen to what I needed to say, and even now when he feels himself getting upset he will take the deep breaths himself until he is calm.

1 Like

Separation Anxiety! Tell her if she can’t handle a little melt down or a tantrum because it’s all new to him, then to find a career elsewhere! I can’t stand when people blame children of misbehaving when it’s a whole new environment for him.

1 Like

I work In a daycare with basically all two year olds. This is completely normal behavior … I’d leave that school . The teacher has expectations that’s are too big for toddlers

1 Like

What?! He’s TWO! He’s being a normal toddler. I’d switch schools. He probably missed you. It’s a BIG change for him. I’d tell them to get a therapist to learn how a toddler behaves. Ridiculous.

1 Like

School at 2? Usually this is at 4 to 5 years of age. A two year old is just learning and what is going on at this school? Are they even educated in children. If they were they would know a two year old is not able to stand in a straight line following their classmates in. Many 2 year Olds are barely saying much. Something is way off here. Trust your gut get that kid out of that school

1 Like

My daughter started school this year and I found out she is a troublemaker.
I’ve had a few meetings and conferences and several apologies have been made and parenting tactics discussed and how she should be disciplined at school…
At one point she was acting as if her teachers didn’t exist and completely ignored her and did whatever she wanted…
Your son just sounds like a normal kiddo. I agree with those who say switch where he’s going.
And please pray for me… I have a real troublemaker that’s over twice his age.
Lol
You are doing a great job mom.

1 Like

Girl this is typical 2 year old behavior! They are expecting way to much from him. He is still trying to figure things out! I would definitely look into a different program or daycare. No therapist needed for that baby!

1 Like

My son just started a MDO program and his teachers talk to him constantly about his feelings and will even take turns holding him. It’s normal behavior for them. At home we talk about school non stop, watch and read all the things that have to do with kids going to school and misdiagnosed momma. Dr. Becky @ Good Inside is a good resource for parents. Honestly, maybe the school isn’t the right fit. Their expectations are too high, he needs comfort. He needs someone to say, “your having big feelings right now and I’m going to take these toys away to keep the other kids safe, after that I’ll sit with you and help you figure out these feelings and a way we can calm down”. He needs comfort.

it really doesn’t matter if it’s normal- he hasn’t had time to adjust. He has to learn those expectations which doesn’t happen in 3 days. The expectations are lofty but not impossible if they have been taught. That’s why he’s there. to learn them. He’s not a trouble maker but if they don’t watch it, he will be. That will be on them.

She expects a 2 year old to listen and cooperate?!? Adults can’t even do that, so it sounds like you need to take him to a new school with realistic expectations! He’s probably feeling overwhelmed from this major change and needs to adjust

They don’t call it the “terrible 2s” for nothing. They should know this. My son who has autism when he was little the school kept calling me to come get him he was acting up. Soon my son realized hey if I act up I can go home. I got my son a therapist you know what they told me? Stop picking him up. When he goes to school it is the job of the school to teach him how to act and handle stressful situations. When the state contacted school it was funny they had to do their job. They got him to learn when he was feeling anxious or couldn’t concentrate to let teacher know and the teachers aid would take him to kick a ball around for a bit. Then go back and be with the other kids. He learned not to throw tantrums.
Now I know your son is only 2 but this is where whoever is in care of him daycare headstart etc it is their job to teach, their job to handle it. JMHO.

I don’t think my 2.5 year old is a troublemaker, but I know she wouldn’t stand in line or cooperate if she were confused or in a new place. He’s just a toddler. He can barely understand directions at this point. They’re not naturally defiant at that age.

My son is a little over two and he does similar things at home periodically when he doesn’t get enough sleep he does not do this at school but I have seen other children do this in front of me at school and it’s totally normal. It’s literally their job to redirect and help your child understand rules and schedules and listening. If they can’t handle it that sounds like a problem with the school not with your two-year-old who is in a new environment and still learning.

He’s 2. What kind of school is this? Most kids that age are in daycare. Some start preschool at 3 and others at 4. It’s time for him to play and discover things.

1 Like

This is two…they should be able to listen and negotiate him to a more positive. They’re trained to train him. I’d be showing up unexpected to see what’s going on, if he doesn’t have this behavior at home.

He’s 2 what do they expect? I would love for my 2 year old to sit still but that ain’t gonna happen, he’s 2.

1 Like

Oh my it’s called terrible 2s lots of kids throw fits! He’s looking for one on one attention as he should he’s 2 and wants his mommy he may just not ready to be away from you yet maybe find a babysitter where they come to your house familiararity environment! He will probably still cry when you leave but he’ll get into the routine over time!!

I feel like two is early for school. Two year old aren’t meant to sit still and be quiet for hours on end like that.

1 Like

Perhaps look for a school where the teachers and administrators that have more realistic expectations of a 2 year old just starting out. This place doesn’t seem to be geared towards how to best support your child during this transition. Again He is 2. He needs a lot of reassurance to become comfortable being in any new environment this place clearly is not the place to do that.

Perhaps getting him a chart like this so he can point to how he is feeling he is probably just over stimulated with a new environment and since he is 2, can’t communicate that. Maybe half days or taking trips to parks so he can play with other kids to get him used to social interactions maybe helpful.

My son is 8 and from 4 years old up to now he has struggled with the same behavior the school he has been in has been doing good behavior cards so that he can earn toys for good behavior maybe the school can do a program for the kids and reward them we also do it at home

That young is the “Monkey See, Monkey Do” stage. He’s not following the other kids because he hasn’t been around them. It is ridiculous they expect him to fall in line in 3 days…

I have a 2 yr old Granddaughter, Your son is 2. They are 2. Some ppl call it the terrible twos. I call it trying to communicate, learn and adjust. 2 yrs old is very young for the expectations this “School” is laying out. He is growing and learning about himself and his surroundings. He is Discovering all kind of things.
Please check into different schools or if possible even try a Pre-School/Daycare that goes maybe 3-4 hrs.

No he is not a trouble maker!! I know completely how you feel. He is only two years old and please don’t let this school make you feel like something is wrong with your baby. He is behaving just like all two year olds do.

Being a teacher for 28yrs (of all ages), and having raised 2 children, I feel this behavior is normal for a 2yr old. Life can be difficult, especially for a tiny human in a completely different environment! :heart:

Hunny ive seen kids at 5 and 6 that still cant stand in a line(no judgements but facts) you and your child are fine. I would be looking for a new school not a therapist. Hes fine. Just like multiple people have said here… he’s two. Do YOU really expect him at 2 to cooperate 100% of the time? No. Kids are tiny humans with BIG emotions. Do you like to do things when you are upset? No. Hes perfectly normal.

1 Like

He’s 2. If you have the ability and means to stay at home, do it. If you can’t, find a family member or another trusted Mama to be a surrogate. He doesn’t belong in school or day care, he needs love and a parent to help him grow. If you have to work, I get it and understand, but if you don’t he should be your #1 priority.

I don’t understand why adults expect kids, and in this case a toddler, to behave perfectly and beyond what most adults are capable of. I hate that these labels are being created for him so early in his life. I don’t know if I’d want to stay there

He’s 2 years old! If he was 6 and doing it that’s different. Move schools

I think he is a typical 2 yr.old. What is the teacher for if she can’t take the time to teach him.Oh I guess all the other kids are perfect. I think not. Teacher do your job.

To bad he can’t stay home with you he wants his mamma just saying :heart:

Omg he’s 2 years old. Talk to your pediatrician not the drill sergeant.

Find a new program because they obviously don’t have the patience for a baby adjusting to a new environment

Oh lordddd they’d hate to have my child they’d probably put him in baby jail :woozy_face: their two !!! Come on !! Toddlers are gonna be toddlers what else they expect?!

Getting into A-day care that have a child early childhood development person and don’t worry about your little one hes normal

Find a new supportive school!

First of all hes 2… 2 is too young to be in school… 2 is even too young for most kids to use a toilet… sounds like too much is being expected from this baby… yes i said baby