Is pinworm common?

Pins worms DO NOT make you “front” itch JUST your bottom. Pin worms are so common, you can even get them from playing outside and sitting on the ground !
I’d take her back to doctor. Something is causing the problems and it sure DONT sound like pinworms

6 Likes

Old home remedy for pinworms that works:
Put Vaseline around rectum right before bed, in the morning immediately shower . GONE

3 Likes

My kids dr said it could be anywhere from playing in a sand box to pets in the house yes it is very common and thank God there easy to get rid of.

Stop letting her have baths with any kind of soap, showrr only and teach her to clean herself with water only, i tell my 5 year only water to clean and a clean washcloth if she wants.

1 Like

It’s your job to teach her hygiene. A lot of the time It can be more than just reminding. Remember that’s your job to teach her mama and she’ll never learn until you do.

11 Likes

I can’t see all the comments but sounds like yeast infection. For whatever reason , cut out bubble baths, wear cotton underwear and cut out the sugar. And she really needs to wipe herself…see if it clears up

Has she been checked for a yeast infection?

It’s because she’s not wiping good my daughter was complaining of her vagina being itchy last night and we bathed her today it’s gone but she is 4 and doesn’t wipe the best especially after pooping

I had them around that age. I had to take medication and gone. It was very annoying!!

Sounds like pin… lay her down to bed… when she comes out saying it’s ichey take her into the er… they will swab them out and give you creams

Pin worms are very common, although I don’t think that’s the problem. She would complain a lot more and her bottom would itch more than anything. (They live in the intestines and come out of the bottom to lay eggs on skin)

I would suggest no baths especially bubble baths. Showers are best for little girls.

5 Likes

It could be from bubble baths

1 Like

If she isn’t wiping properly I would probably encourage nightly showers (not baths) and encourage to clean herself with water and natural soaps and explain why toilet hygiene is important

1 Like

Switch to 100% cotton underwear if you haven’t already… some people have sensitivity to synthetic material underwear.

3 Likes

Get flushable bum wipes, she can use them to make sure she’s clean from the pee

1 Like

Panties might be too tight
Possible yeast infection but you’ve seen a doc
Sensitivity to soaps (body wash and laundry detergent)
Could be from poor hygiene, can you install a bidet on your toilet? When she wipes, is it front to back? My 4 year old is still learning proper wiping technique so I understand

4 Likes

If it’s on/in her vagina not her rectum…does she have any white patches on the inside of her labia? It could be Lichen Sclerosis. Not many doctors know about it. Take her to a dermatologist or gynecologist. If left untreated it can cause major issues in that area.

If she’s clear from the doctor and you check a few times and no worms it could be possible that soap is left behind after her bath and making her itchy.

1 Like

If you want to know if it’s pinworms let her go to bed with no underwear on and when she goes to sleep take a flashlight in there and look at her rectum If she has pinworms you will see them. If she does have pinworms make sure you strip her bed and don’t allow her to take a bath with anybody else because they can get them.

4 Likes

A six year olds hygiene falls on the parent. How do you say she has bad hygiene?! Ugh…

13 Likes

If she is not wiping then she is sitting in wet underwear, and that will absolutely make her itch or even burn from the Uric acid against her skin.

Bigger undies, 100% cotton, make sure her pants are also not tight on her. No baths if she is taking them, time to start taking showers. Also let my daughter go commando at bedtime until it wasn’t bothering her anymore.

4 Likes

My son is 15 and got pin worms look in her poo if she has them you will see them

Pinworms are a thing, and usually from playing in dirt, was my experience. I can’t believe they didn’t do a stool sample. Lots of great advice above.

2 Likes

She is 6, it’s not entirely her fault that she doesn’t have good hygiene. You need to make sure she does these things, don’t just push it off, she’s only 6. Pinworms do exist here, you should research that. Keep a better eye on your child. If she’s not cleaning herself, that can make her itchy, or if you have a boyfriend and leave her alone with him… you never know.

8 Likes

I would maybe change the wash or soap and showers would help - maybe also cotton underneath would hel p

I work in child care and have seen this in little girls often

Stop giving her baths and only showers see how that goes. Sounds like she is getting yeast infections and if you’re not treating it then it can come back quick

1 Like

Have you looked at her poop at all? If not, take a look at it before she flushes. I had pin worm when I was like 6 or 7, we assumed I got it from the bathroom at my dance recital, but thats how I found out. I went to flush while on vacation and saw little white worm in my poo. It still grosses me out to this day and I’m 33! I had pinworm and I took some kind of oral medication to get rid of it. It kind of ruined our vacation because I remember my butt being itchy but definitely not my vagina. Although if you read about pinworms, its not so hard to imagine that it could make it feel itchy in the whole area down there. If thats what you think it is, make sure you are cleaning the toilet seats with clorox wipes everytime she uses the bathroom as well as the flusher, the handles to the sink, anything she may be touching. Also make aure she is washing her hands very well. It is very contagious and from my understanding it is mostly spread through hand to mouth contact. It is common especially in kids because they tend to put their hands in their mouth more than adults and don’t always wash their hands as often as they should. It’s definitely gross, but it’s not the end of the world and if she takes the medicine as prescribed, keeps her hands washed and toilets sanitized, she’ll be feeling better very soon. The doctor could easily take a fecal sample to confirm pin worms. I was on vacation when we noticed mine so obviously the doctor couldn’t do that for me, but my mom called and described what we saw so it was pretty obvious what it was. If it turns out not to be pin worms, it could easily be from the fact that she doesn’t wipe well. When my daughter was 6 I had to take her to the doctor because she was peeing like 20 times a day! They tested her for UTI and was negative for that. After taking her to the doctors twice over it, I finally figured out that it was because she wasn’t wiping properly and she always felt like it was wet down there so she would go to the bathroom thinking she had peed herself but it was just wet from her not wiping good enough. Good luck mama!

Hay I am 73 now and raised 2 girls, not all little girls have the best hygiene, they are kids I suggest a shower at lease every other and try to incurred to go to the bathroom more often, little kids are very busy playing

You kinda answered your question… if she doesn’t have good hygiene then yes it can cause issues. Please make sure she is wiping and cleaning herself. :hugs:

Pinworms are parasites, they’re common amongst children. They live in the intestines and come out when children sleep. Some medical workers will use the tape test on the anus to see if there are any evidence of pinworms in the morning. She would feel more itchy on her anus more than her vagina if it was pinworms, but I suppose they could have traveled to her frontal area. However, they wouldn’t be able to survive as well in that environment.

Could be allergic to the bath soap or the laundry detergent. Get a hypoallergenic detergent.

1 Like

Pinworms cause RECTAL itching. They normally come out at nite to lay eggs.Yhey are pretty common and come from contaminated soil or plants. A simple test will diagnose and a pill will cure them

5 Likes

I’ve put baking soda in the bath water and clears that right up…

1 Like

Could be the toilet paper :roll_of_toilet_paper: you purchase and she uses. This definitely causes irritation as some toilet paper is scrappy and rough, some flakes, leaves powder like residue (for the lack of better description), that irritates. Maybe help her rinse with a peri bottle filled with water after using the rest room?

She could be allergic to the detergent used to wash her underwear. Also, tight pants can cause irritation.

It could be the soap she is using. I know some bother me. I use the PH balanced ivory body wash since it never gives me skin irritation.

3 Likes

My son had pinworms they’re extremely common in kids because they live in the soil…. The only symptom my son had was a itchy bit and then we saw wiggly worms in one of his diapers

Both of my kids had pinworms and it’s mostly due to dirty hands. Kids put hands in dirt and then bite their nails or stick their hands in their mouth. Nothing to be too concerned about.

I was still helping my daughter wipe at that age, just because little girls usually don’t wipe properly at that age anyway because they are still learning. I also didn’t want them to get any infections or anything from being dirty. They eventually learned. Flushable wet wipes.

Maybe also review her sugar intake and what type of underwear. I had to use plain white cotton for my daughter and cut suger down as she used to get very itchy. I think it was making her kind of thrushy and the colour dye in the underwear didn’t help. Worth a try and it might take a week or two but you will see a difference if that’s what it is. X

3 Likes

Do you give her baths with soap in the water? My daughter get an itchy vagina when she takes a long bath in soapy water.

Look when she’s asleep, if she has them, they’ll come out then. Don’t use fabric softener on underwear and give her laundry a second rinse.

We got flushable wipes for our daughter it helped. As did buying hypoallergenic laundry soap we bought All clear.

There are many types of worms in children that cause this I have 4 daughters and they have experienced the pain in there vagina from worms and I have physically seen them there too. Treat the household and then do it regularly.

Pinworms are really common. But I have never heard of a doctor treating for them when they didn’t see the worms. For my kids when they got it before you could see the worms on the butthole and on the stool sometimes. Maybe try a prebiotic or eating more yogurt. Try having her change her underwear multiple times a day and bathing everyday in a bath with only baby soap not any scented soaps. Also could try using a more gentle detergent. Good luck with it all.

1 Like

You need to be the parent and insure she learns the proper way to wipe…that’s your job…not for her to figure out…she may be sensitive to soap…my middle son can’t use a bunch of scented soaps…he says it makes his pee pee burn…but using scented soap in baths or even showers can cause irritation to the skin…also certain laundry soaps can cause irritation to the skin esp when you sweat… I personally can’t handle anything with lavender…if I sweat even just a little and my laundry soap has lavender I will break out in hives and itch…it also could be something horrible…not saying it is but from someone that was sexually abused by her own family members at the age of 4 to 6 and finally removed and put into foster care it is poss you really never know about people…but I’m sure if she was being messed with they would have identified that when they swabbed her…but I’d recommend getting flushable or other wipes and have a trash can to throw them in… something that will clean it all…and maybe avoid any scented body wash, shampoo,and laundry soap…see if that helps…stick to cotton underwear and maybe no underwear under her jammies so she can let it get a little bit of air…it honestly sounds like a yeast infection…also before baths if you continue to do bath rinse the entire tub and drain before filling it up…when you tub dries repeatedly it does build up and depending on your cleaning habits depends on how much is built up…I hard core clean my bathroom weekly and then have my daily jobs…like the toilet ( 2 small boys,2 grown men that can’t seem to aim haha) but I ALWAYS rinse and drain my tub before I allow my child to get in…I don’t just turn the water on and fill and make my kid sit in the water that’s soaked up the sides of a sub that’s been sitting in the air since the last time it was wet…to me that’s nasty .but there is little things you can do to prevent it but as far as the wiping you tell her and she doesn’t…girl that’s your job to teach her so get in that bathroom and make her do it properly…teach her don’t just let her do whatever and whatever consequences come from it because she was never made to do it properly…teach her it’s your job…if she can’t seem to get it 6 or not wipe her area for her…so it’s done…let her feel and see what a proper wiping is…and allow her to try it often…she is your child your supposed to raise teach and educate on how to be an adult…and she isn’t some grown women that your going to be weird with…so wipe her…help her…and get her help…she is way to young to be having so many female issues and uncomfortablness and trips to the doctor for her vaginal area…

My and my daughter have this issue here and there. In our case it is the toilet paper and soap. Try changing the toilet paper and see if it helps and then change soaps if it still doesn’t help 100%

Yes it is common and they are most visible at night. You may need a flashlight while she is sleeping…

Pinworms are caught from pets. They are a parasite in the digestive tract that come of the out the rectum. It causes MAJOR itching (mainly of the butt).

I’m allergic to some toilet paper (tissue) is cause me to itch very bad. And if my panties are not cotton I have problems also. I’m not 6 but I had that problem when I was 6 and still do like to at school was the worst

2 Likes

This happened to my
Sister because she was wiping backwards and actually got a really bad infection. I’m traumatized for my sis, so I get my kids wipes and a little trash can they can put them in. Because even the disposal wipes aren’t really disposable.

How often is your child bathing? Possibly she needs to shower nightly and ensure that she is using hypoallergenic soaps. She may have dirt stuck in places making her uncomfortable.

My granddaughter had it is was she was wiping up and not back. It got better

My daughter did that,tried everything took her to Dr.nothing helped. I changed soup and did not have any more problems.

Make sure she’s wearing cotton underwear. Nylon doesn’t breathe, cotton does.

3 Likes

Could be laundry detergent or fabric could be the reason.

1 Like

Pinworms comes from the rear and usually at night when it is most irritable

4 Likes

Please don’t use wipes, maybe she she is sensitive to it. Let her use that when she is out of the house at home clean her well with water and dry her good plus change her underwear at three times a day. If you are very busy make sure you use water twice a day in the morning and at bedtime.

2 Likes

Lack of wiping. My daughter is 11 and only after few good rashes and me saying that the infection she will get will end up in surgery and not having kids helped to realize she needs to wipe. So frustrating…

Bubble baths can cause itching! Get wet wipes after she pees she can wipe a little better!

2 Likes

Pinworms are in the stool . You get them from playing in dirt barefoot. Or getting infected dirt in the mouth . Sounds like her pediatrician is a moron . You can see pin worms in the poop .

Pinworms are more common than head lice actually especially among small children what’s throwing me off is you keep saying the itchiness is in her vagina pinworms are the rectum area never heard of vaginal itching due to pinworms just constant wanting to itch their butts and you have to sanitize and clean everything in your house door handles countertops clothes bedding everything etc.

My niece had this problem from not wiping correctly also she is no longer aloud to you bath bombs or bubble baths and has to use dove sensitive or a sensitive children’s wash

3 Likes

Late at night is when pinworms are most active. They are also contagious. So if she has them everyone in the house could possibly get them

2 Likes

I would suggest switching to a free and clear detergent, wear cotton underwear and pants, also bath her every night to help the example of keeping clean down there. May even want to use fragrance free hypoallergenic wipes for her when using the restroom. Pinworm infection can spread to the vagina, it also can cause discharge and a bacterial infection as well. This can be common in school aged children. I am going to attach a link that can be helpful with information.

Sounds like it could be a PH balance problem. Laundry detergent, body wash, or soap, could be causing a pH imbalance. This would cause itching. A hormonal imbalance can also cause your pH to be off.

5 Likes

Could it be thrush??

Me personally, I can only use dermatologist approved laundry detergent and body wash that is free of fragrances and dyes, because if not, then it makes me excruciatingly itchy in my personal areas. But I was also diagnosed with atopic dermatitis and eczema at a very small age.

2 Likes

Pinworms can cause the vulva to be itchy. And pinworms are common in smaller children bc they’re hygiene isn’t the best.

Pinworms are very common in children and are also very contagious. Children going to school, sharing toys, etc that are infected can scratch their anal area and then touch surfaces, each other and these items depositing microscopic eggs which are then handled by others who then touch their face or food ingesting these eggs which develop into adult pinworms. The eggs can also be deposited in bedding causing re-infestation. Your child has come into contact with someone with pinworms if she had them. I’m surprised a doctor didn’t test her with a poop sample or anal surveillance to see if she has them rather than guessing. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Make sure she’s only using cotton panties and wiping properly, and also make sure she’s not using any scented soaps, shower gels, body washes in her vaginal area. Plain invented soap like Dove and only on the outside folds of her vagina. Make sure you’re also washing her panties in hot water by themselves, and double rinse them too. It sounds like soap or scent irritation could possibly be what’s going on. She could also have a yeast infection. If it was pinworms her rectal area would be itching, not her vulva or vagina. Believe it or not, lots of kids get and have pinworms. But I’m betting it’s either something scented triggering her itching which could be due to soap, shower gel, body wash, or even laundry detergent or fabric softeners. Eliminate and work on hygiene as well as eliminate scented soaps, washes, gels, laundry detergents, etc, and then move to pinworms possibly being the cause if it’s rental itching. If it’s vaginal itching still, then I would have them check and treat for a yeast infection if that’s it, and if it’s not and still continues and you’ve eliminated and ruled out and worked on all other issues, then have her tested for diabetes and also any kidney issues. Yes, kidney issues can lead to vaginal itching and irritation and yeast infections too. I used to have terrible problems with this as a kid and harsh scented soaps, laundry detergents, and only having one kidney was a major problem. It took me until adulthood to get correctly diagnosed and to also be able to control what I got to use to clean with, wear, how it was laundered, etc, so I was a very miserable child for a very long time. And sadly the majority of the problem was mostly due to only having one kidney and harsh soaps (Irish spring soap and dial were notorious for causing the most issues). But avoid essential oils, bath bombs and things like that too. Hopefully you can get her straightened out and feeling better soon. It’s rough.

My daughter has had this problem and we have treated her and taken her to the doctor. The doctor says it’s a cause of not wiping and bad hygiene and my daughter has a low grade of autism and water and showers bother her so it’s really hard to keep her clean she is 12. Have had no issues now thank goodness she didn’t like having them so easier to keep her cleaner now. I hope this info helps.

1 Like

3x a week is more likely hygiene than underwear. Go to thebathroom with her to ensure she wipes. You can sue hypoallergenic baby wipes instead if or after tp to ensure she is clean.
It could also be hormones. Everybody is different.

3 Likes

Pinworms are one of the most common parasites out there, and yes parasites are common in the US sadly most doctors don’t look for parasites which cause many issues including itchiness. Pinworms are usually in the rectum and they come out at night to lay eggs and then go back in. Most of us have some sort of parasite and never know it. Parasites spread easily if one person has it in your house it is likely everyone has them.

5 Likes

I had to make sure my daughter wiped, Everytime correctly, stood in the bathroom with Everytime until she got the message

1 Like

My daughter did that. We used Non perfumed soap, baby bath was good, NO bubble baths at all. I also gave her yogurt daily, only wore cotton panties. She was so sensitive and as long as we did all of this, it helped a lot

4 Likes

When u bathe her do u use soap? Do u let her have bubble baths because they will cause itchiness or infections

1 Like

It could be a number of things… in my house we can only use 2 kinds of detergent and 2 kinds of body soap bc of the 3 females (myself, my wife, and our daughter) we’ve all had issues with certain soaps…also had issues with certain toilet paper. Your daughter could have an allergy or it could be from not cleaning herself. If you shampoo and condition her hair in her bath that could play a part in it too! When our daughter was little we would give her a shower to wash her hair/body and then fill the tub up afterwards so she could play but not be in the soap just sitting

2 Likes

When u have swamp a$$ it itches. That’s her issue. Kid don’t wipe. Urine is acidic and there’s sweat down there. Tell the kid to wipe. Bath her more often as well.

Pin worms would be in her butt. A doctor can tell by looking with a flashlight. I doubt she has pin worms. Maybe teach her to wash her vagina after using the bathroom. Hopefully she catches on before it turns into a bigger issue

When my daughter gets utis she says her vagina itches and then she’ll get the fever if we dont get antibiotics soon enough.

Pinworm’s are common and found in the rectum and poop. Make sure she is wiping correctly, from front to back, and getting her bum clean after going to the bathroom.
I hope this gets better soon! :purple_heart:

My daughter is 4 had had similar symptoms but it became that she was not effectively wiping in the crevices…so after every wipe we have included a peri bottle to spray water also to “rinse” out the area. This has tremendously helped her itchiness and irritation. Also switching to 100% cotton panties.

3 Likes

My daughter was around 6 and had pinworms. Im not sure how she got them, she was the only one who had them, and she was treated for it.

Soaps, laundry soap, and even the materials her clothes are made out of can cause it. And on top of not washing/wiping can and will cause it. You have to stay on top of her about it. If all her tests have came back negative I’d say that’s the problem. She may need to try a different soap/body wash. Plus pinworms affect the anal area not the vagina. They are intestinal parasites.

Could be her underwear material bothering her

Could be a soap or a body wash laundry detergent could be anything have her wipe with water wipes to get clean

1 Like

It’s the poor hygiene. Her pH is off causing an external yeast infection. If you can increase the showers the itching will stop​:slightly_smiling_face::pray:

Most likely itchy from not wiping well. Try to get her in a bath tub several times a week to soak. She probably doesn’t wash well either. It’s hard because they want to be independent but don’t really understand the consequences when they don’t have good hygiene.

Baby wipes worked with mine she started wiping properly on her own with toilet paper once she got sick of the wet feeling

Pinworms lay eggs in the vaginal creases doctor would’ve known right away .

Pin worms live in sand and come from nail biting mostly

2 Likes

Yep. You’ll see them in her poop they are little white worms. And it’s highly contagious. Don’t let anyone sleep with her and wash bedding/clothes daily.

Lots of good info here! Just saw this today.

My daughter had a yeast infection at 12.

She’s not wiping …that’s exactly the issue.

Tell her to wipe once put toilet paper in the toilet then have her get more do it again until she does it 3 times.

1 Like

Rinse well after bubble bath.

1 Like

Could be an allergy to the soap

2 Likes