Is there a reason a doctor wouldn't tell you the gender?

Today at my 18-week pregnancy, I asked dr about the baby’s gender, and the dr told me she couldn’t tell as the baby has turned her side legs back is visible, so is it possible or my dr didn’t want to tell me the gender?

37 Likes

Very possible doc couldn’t tell. It happens a lot more than you realize.

10 Likes

Its possible the doctor couldn’t see it actually. It took 4 ultrasounds with my daughter.

3 Likes

I’d be careful lol. My aunt was told gender at 19 weeks and 17 weeks and both times the doctors were wrong lol

If they can’t tell, they aren’t going to tell you because it could be wrong :woman_shrugging: sounds like you have trust issues with your Dr. Maybe it’s time to find a new Dr.

8 Likes

She probably couldn’t tell…there is no reason that she wouldnt tell you just for the heck of it.

3 Likes

I mean… why would they want to do that?

7 Likes

The doctor literally told you why they couldn’t. You are either dis trusting of your doctor or impatient

59 Likes

My doctor had to ask me what the gender was because they aren’t allowed to know unless the patient discloses. On my ultrasound it just says genitals were visualized. So more than likely they didnt know.

They just couldn’t see, if they baby is in an unfavorable position during the ultrasound then the doctor will not be able to get a good look at the, er, genitals.

1 Like

Wait for the 26 th week for it to be accurate! The reason is if its a boy his testicles will be visible!

It all depends on the baby and the babies positioning on if they can determine gender or not. But I find it weird they didn’t ask you if you wanted to know the gender ahead of time. Maybe she forgot to even look.

Maybe she couldnt tell bc of the way the baby is positioned.

My doctors didnt confirm until 22 weeks to be safe.

If they aren’t 100% sure they won’t say.

2 Likes

I think a lot of the time they dont want to say unless at least 90% certain because parents get upset it they are wrong. I think some even sued

I got the blood test done before the ultrasound :woman_shrugging:. Couldn’t go wrong there but at my 3D I asked if it was still a girl just to be funny. They printed out the picture with “Still a girl!!” :laughing::laughing:.

2 Likes

No lol they have to tell you if you ask. Baby was just in a bad position so they literally couldn’t see

1 Like

Yeah it’s the dr’s favorite thing to do. :woman_facepalming:t2::rofl:

8 Likes

My first son was a girl at the beginning of his 20 week ultrasound. I spent my appointment sad because I always dreamed of having a boy first. Well on the last wand wave over my belly my son went full spread eagle and there was a little turtle head on the screen. Some babies just make it difficult to tell.

3 Likes

They probably want to make sure it’s the correct gender I had to wait until I was 22 weeks gender boy

There could be no reason for a doctor to not tell you your baby’s gender unless the babe was positioned in a way Dr couldn’t tell. I was 17 weeks when I found out my first was a girl and she was positioned in a specific way to tell she was obviously a girl :blush: Each ultrasound I had after, she was still a she lol all my other pregnancies I found out during the same week 17-19 weeks. It all depends on babys position or a blood test :blush:

Sometimes they honestly cant tell, never found out my daughters gender cause she wouldn’t move so they could see.

2 Likes

My oldest was stubborn he always hid his privates I didn’t find out until January that he was a boy and he was born beginning of March. He’s 10 now my other 3 they could tell at my gender ultrasound

Sounds like baby was being stubborn lol. Yes the doctor may not have been able to tell if baby was positioned just right.

1 Like

I didn’t find out until she was born. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Never found out the gender of my baby until they placed her on my chest after delivery, they tried to find out twice with my scans and couldn’t as she kept her legs crossed and hunched up.

I was told my son was a girl at the one and only ultrasound I had. It was suuuper frustrating
With my twins they were correct tho, but with them I had like a dozen ultrasounds through the whole pregnancy lmao

She couldn’t see it that simple babies will hide the gender lol

1 Like

our daughter had her legs crossed every scan so made it super hard , eventually before the birth there was a clearer scan where she was willing to show her gender, our oldest we didnt want to know but it was pretty clear as with their little brother what gender they were

What would possess you to believe your doctor didn’t WANT to tell you the gender? What would they gain or lose by telling you the gender of YOUR baby?

You’re paranoid and need to go take a bath.

15 Likes

I think u need to stop overthinking

2 Likes

I had my first ultrasound at 20 weeks & they couldn’t be certain because of the position the fetus was in.

Very possible that he really didn’t see

There is now a blood test you can get almost immediately to determine gender .

Yup i did the blood test was very accurate and true having a little boy

U sound super paranoid

2 Likes

Good lord he told you :joy:

1 Like

She didn’t tell you because she wasn’t 110% sure… say if she said it’s a boy you went out n bought everything blue with son written all over it and then it turns out to be a lil girl… if you want to know have a 3D scan xx

1 Like

Why would they hide that information?

1 Like

Waaaay back we never knew until the birth if we were getting a girl or a boy.

1 Like

When my mom was pregnant with me she went her whole pregnancy not knowing what I was because every time they went to get an ultrasound I rolled over and covered my area so nobody could see

2 Likes

If they can’t see…they can’t tell you :tipping_hand_woman:t3:

3 Likes

Ultrasound tech here, point blank the answer is NO. You are overthinking this. You also referred to your baby as she, so do you already know the gender?

4 Likes

Get the blood test done…

1 Like

it will show on the next scan sometimes they move into different positions where gender cant be seen :slight_smile:

I’ve had them not able to talk me and it wasn’t until I went for another scan that I found out what I was having , u can book it to places to have private scans done and some even do those 3D and 4D ones , wowcher and groupon sometimes do deals on the private ones as well. X

Its they can’t tell for sure they’ll never guess. So best bet would be gender scan maybe

1 Like

the doctor probably couldn’t see… U will find out around 20weeks If they can see Be patient. you Need to stop overthinking have Have trust in ur doctor.

2 Likes

If she can’t see properly, she’s not gonna tell you a gender. Why would she not want to tell you if she knew for certain?

3 Likes

The doctor literally told you why they couldn’t tell you. If it’s not visible they can’t tell you especially if they ended up guessing wrong. Don’t be do distrusting they wouldn’t just refuse to tell you

4 Likes

If you feel like the doctor has been excessively hiding it maybe schedule one appointment with a different doctor. Usually though it is position at first they couldnt tell the second twin until her sister kicked to hard she moved and they could tell

We waited until 20 and 22 weeks with ours. My daughter was especially stubborn kept rolling around

It mostly likely the baby wasn’t in a good position to tell. However, it might be difficult to tell the sex if the sex organs are not yet defined. Some babies just take a little longer to develop.

I would much rather the doctor not tell me then tell me and be wrong. :woman_shrugging::woman_facepalming:
But I also remember going to the doctors when they didn’t do ultrasounds just to find out the sex of the baby. Guess I’m telling my age here lol

Baby just wasn’t in a good position to be able to tell

No matter how far along you are, it will always depend on the position of the baby. I heard drinking cold water makes them move around more but idk how true that is.

They just don’t wanna be wrong because people have sued doctors for wrong info so they just wanna wait and make sure. That’s what my doctor told me when they were not sure.

They can’t always see. They don’t care if you know the gender.

1 Like

It’s a girl… as said clearly in the context above

My first was in a awkward position and the dr couldn’t tell to start with but with a bit of luck she moved and then they could tell

1 Like

With my first, baby kept his legs closed…they couldn’t tell for sure so opted to not “guess” I had to go for an ultrasound again at 30 weeks for medical reasons and they were able to tell. The doctor probably cannot tell 100% and do not want to guess

2 Likes

The doctor probably just couldn’t see what the gender of the baby was. My first born wouldn’t let us take a peak until 2 weeks before he was born.

3 Likes

There’s no reason the ultrasound tech wouldn’t tell you unless they couldn’t determine gender because of baby’s position. Ask again at your next ultrasound.

1 Like

A radiologist can tell you. An ob, unless the radiologist noted gender, cant tell you bc they rarely do their own scans

The just don’t want to tell you idk why they do that they technically do anatomy at 20 weeks. Mine were nice and told me early with both.

1 Like

At all my Dr visit and full scans they could not tell the gender because of her position. I howver had the blood tests for additional investigations and that told me the gender at 12 weeks.

I had to wait until 24th week because my baby was never in a good position

1 Like

Nope, just your baby :rofl:

1 Like

If your sent to the radiologist for your 20 week anatomy scan they should be able to tell you unless baby keeps its legs closed

It’s early… I only found out at 30 weeks. Bettee to justwait

Sometimes its hard to see

Why do you want to know the sex of baby? They didn’t have that technology when I had my children. No epidurals either. Left in a room on your own to get on with it. Amazing surprise/ gift after going thru hell, to see the baby & sex after all was over. Better than Lotto

Many doctors wait til 20 weeks or more. The baby is not in a good position just like she said.

1 Like

does it matter what u have good Lord ungrateful mom!!

3 Likes

It sounds as though you’re looking for someone to blame because you didn’t find out when you thought you would…
It’s ok to be frustrated or disappointed, but the doctor isn’t to blame here. They are not trying to just not tell you.
They couldnt see baby’s genitalia to tell you one way or another. At this point, it would be a complete guess. Wouldn’t it be better they’re honest with you? Since their guess would have a 50% chance of being wrong?

And yes, it does happen. My youngest didn’t show us he was a boy until right at the end of the ultrasound, I mean I had already been handed a towel to wipe the gel down end of the ultrasound when he finally moved so we could see.

6 Likes

My first daughter didn’t want to stop moving and they couldn’t tell me until about 3 months before she was born…sometimes babies are stubborn…don’t look too much into it. She probably didn’t want to make a mistake

1 Like

If they can’t see the gender they can’t tell you. My doctor wasn’t sure (obviously none will be 100% accurate) but said they thought a girl but will look again at another scan because the way baby was laying it was hard to see

1 Like

They probs really couldnt. My oldest kept moving around every time they tried to get a look at her gender. She told me she thinks its a girl but with how shes moving her positions she cant get a good look. And she ended up being a girl. I ended up getting more ultrasounds with her bcuz i was measuring big and also went overdue so they did an ultrasound during my stress test and confirmed for me. But you can get blood testing done or go to Private ultrasound place

1 Like

I thought you only got the gender announced at 20 weeks…

1 Like

Did she say the baby had turned on HER side? Is that not your answer?

1 Like

You asked if there was a reason she didnt tell you. Then you stated the reason :woman_facepalming:… you usually find out around 20 weeks.

1 Like

It’s good that she didn’t tell you because she wasn’t sure. My sister was told she was having a girl. We got her all pink things. Then her SON was born. He was too young to care that he wore pink for the first year. Sounds like the doctor is ethical and doing the right thing.

1 Like

Because they could be wrong :thinking:

1 Like

The doctor wouldn’t want to tell one gender and be wrong and the doctor couldn’t because your baby’s legs were covering up the area. It happens sometimes and you will just have to wait until your next ultrasound :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They told me my baby was a boy. Baby shower was done for a boy. All I had were baby boy blue colors. 3 weeks before I was due I was told it was a girl. I cried. She is now my side kick at age 16. Point is you won’t know for sure unless you get a genetics test or until you deliver. The doctor did right by not telling you unless he was more certain( not for sure)

1 Like

If she can’t see it properly theres no point in telling you bc it could be wrong.

1 Like

Often they can’t tell. We didn’t want to know gender but ours had other ideas :joy:

Should have asked them to do a blood test :slightly_smiling_face: you can find out early that way

1 Like

If you are 18 weeks just wait 2 more weeks. You’ll be fine :joy::joy:

If they can’t see they can’t see! Sometimes you get the perfect angle and sometimes you don’t! With all of my babies I found out around 16 weeks as had to have internal scans to measure cervix! But nope if they’re not telling it’s not because they don’t want to it’s because they either can’t tell or don’t have a clear enough image!

They will be able to see on next one around 22 -24 weeks.

Unless you’re in a country where gender revealing isn’t allowed, then no. They didn’t tell you because baby was on its side and they couldn’t see, like they said

Sometimes they see the gender sometimes they don’t. The baby has to be in the correct position for their private area to be visible. Some people end up giving birth and still not knowing the sex until they see bubs. It happens :slightly_smiling_face:

My daughter kept her little legs closed for a couple of ultrasounds and if they can’t see it then they just can’t

With all my babies the doctors were unable to tell their gender because of the position they were in. Didn’t find out until they were 25+ weeks. 18 wks is still a bit early to tell wouldn’t you say.

They’re not actually meant to tell u.
Because then if they’re wrong you cant complain.
Alot of sonographers say this. Its usually private they tell you what it MAY be

A lot of places don’t or won’t say because of high abortion rates in girls .

I mean if the legs was closed and they couldn’t see it… Doesn’t sound like she’s trying to keep the gender from you. Set up another ultrasound appointment drink something cold or a good juice before going in that always got my babies moving

1 Like

My daughter had a ultrasound at 24 week’s this was her 2nd child 1st one a boy. Told her this one was a girl. Said 98%. We were so excited went on a shopping spree. At her 38 week ultrasound the tech said oh your having a baby boy😳.