Is this normal toddler behavior?

That’s why you don’t leave toddlers with babies

3 Likes

Definitely normal I have to watch my toddler like a hawk even after a year :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Just teach them to be gentle and not to rough up . Playing with each other. Sharing and being kind easy like . Tell them the baby can break and to be easy on the baby . Toddlers tend to be a little hard on.

100% toddler behavior. He couldn’t have been playing that the stuffy was giving the baby a kiss. If your concerned for the future, just bring one of them with you. I wouldn’t be too concerned about it.

4 Likes

Normal…my almost 2 yr old does this all the time to her 10 month old cousin. She tells me “Madmad play with it” she is always trying to stick everything right in her face. We just remind her that when we give babies toys we put it where they can reach but not in their face.

2 Likes

Don’t make a big deal of it they may do it again to get attention from you. Monitor the TV program s they watch.

He is a TODDLER, it is normal. CALMLY explain to him why you can’t put things over babies face.

2 Likes

It’s a toddler they don’t understand yet that’s why u have to teach them…

2 Likes

l would ask him what he was doing??..did he see this on a TV show or movie?? …someone being suffocated with a pillow…does you child seem jealous of the baby?..has he done anything dangerous like this before? …or does he have a cruel streak?..my kids never did anything like that ever.

4 Likes

When my second was born my then 3 year old son did the same thing with the pillows on the couch.I think its normal. He was very jealous when his brother was born. We did have to tell him off though & tell him how dangerous it was because baby could suffocate. He soon stoped doing it all together, was just a stage i suppose.

If someone knocks on the door.
When answer just say excuse me for a second.
Either put baby in cot etc for a few minutes rather then keep them together unsupervised.,
If I need to go to the toilet etc I also would sit the baby in a cot etc to seperate them. Or if bubs is asleep in rocker or something in the area ur sitting then answer the door with the toddler.

Just teach toddler to be nice an not put toys on baby when ur in the room an teach safe playing

4 Likes

Depends was she just piling the toys up to play, or was there definite “smothering” action going on

4 Likes

It is very normal. Now take a deep breath and don’t worry.

1 Like

Normal, You need to teach them why they cant do that, make a habit of actually explaining things

5 Likes

To be fair it doings like he was sharing his toys bless him, he’s not trying to suffocate the baby! He’s not at an age where he understands things from another’s perspective so don’t worry. Just teach him to be gentle and show the toys and put them.next to the baby.

3 Likes

My 1st tipped my 2nd out of her Moses basket for the hell of it :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming: he was 1 and didn’t know she was a baby, just saw her as a bit of furniture for the first year of her life! My 3rd is now 4months old and they forever put toys on him “to cuddle” Just explain the baby is so so small and can’t have big boy toys yet!

3 Likes

Are you serious. Is this a serious question ??

5 Likes

Yeah this is normal. They can’t understand at that age. Best to perhaps take toddler with you next time or baby, they just think they’re giving love.

2 Likes

My twin brother ““dropped”” a brick on my leg when we were young. These things happen i guess lol

1 Like

It’s a common behavior of older siblings in the toddler stage. I swear my 2 and 3 year old used to have meetings by the toybox on how to take out my youngest when I first brought him home :rofl:all jokes aside, you just have to help him understand that that will hurt the little one and its not ok. They don’t understand at that age consequences or the harm it would cause. You need to keep a close eye on them, and help him understand. If you must leave the room for a few moments take baby with you or put the little one out of reach in a pack and play.

4 Likes

l get paid over $130 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $18468 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://onlinejobz12.neocities.org/

I’d say the toddler didn’t know he could have hurt his sister and probably didn’t mean any harm. Probably shouldn’t be leaving them alone together like that anyway. He’s just a toddler.

Toddlers don’t understand how they can hurt a baby, they merely see what they do as trying to help. Which is why it is advised never to leave a baby alone with a toddler or small child.

1 Like

My two year old puts the pillow over my face and laughs his head off when I can’t breathe :weary::weary:

Normal. Older baby was just trying to share with baby with out fully knowing how to share with baby. My oldest daughter use to do stuff like that or try and cover her sister up with blanket and such. (They are 23 months apart now they are 13 and 11) my 3yr old is nervous around her 3 month old sister but she tries to help with blankets and toys and even her toys (she doesn’t even share with her older sisters lol) these two are 3yrs and 2 days apart. You just gotta explain to the older one to be gentle and thats nice for sharing but next time share like this (puts toy in baby hand or on feet if baby is sitting.) That’s what my 3yr old does if 3 month old is in bouncer she will ask (like I said she’s nervous around her) if she can share the toy or shake the hanging toys for sister and ect…

2 Likes

Yeah it’s normal just keep an eye on them

2 Likes

what stupid question is that, need therapy for a toddler :woman_facepalming:t3: this world is getting worse

10 Likes

Normal ! At this point that toddler problems assumed the were trying to sooth the baby. I had to watch my son very closely when his brother was born. He was trying to pick him up, put blankets over his head, stuffed animals on his face, rock his swing ( way to hard) lol.

1 Like

Serial killer … throw the whole toddler out !!! … I’m kidding, totally normal behavior, simply talk to them and gently guide them to not hurt baby.

5 Likes

When i was two and a half i threw my sister over the sofa to my mum :see_no_evil::rofl:

5 Likes

My 3 year old always tries to give his bubba toys. Brings him blocks, cars, stuffed animals, crayons, etc. He was probably trying to let the baby “see” it and didnt even realise thats harmful.

3 Likes

Totally normal, they dont understand the force or impact their actions will really have when just wanting to probably play and/or share and interact… just keep an eye and encourage and teach gentle play :slight_smile:

1 Like

My now 14 yr old tried to sit on a pillow with her sisters head under it when she was 2 and her sister was 8 months. It’s normal I’d say lol

1 Like

I actually just had my daughters 3 year appointment and her doctor warned me (pregnant with my second) that toddlers share in exactly this way sometimes and to keep an eye on em. No worries, your tot is a little lovely sociopath like all of ours 😵‍💫:star_struck::joy:

8 Likes

Normal. In his lil mind he was trying to make her comfortable probably and just don’t have the coordination of no how to put them under her head yet. Remember his mind is not grown as yours so he thinks about things way different and innocent. When they do what you perceive as bad, they are just learning and trying new things. Gentle teaching is all he needs.

1 Like

The toddler was probably trying to engage with baby. Unfortunately you shouldn’t leave either baby or toddler unattended

5 Likes

No your toddler doesn’t need therapy, he’s a toddler and doesn’t understand what he’s doing.

1 Like

No they dont need therapy. It’s normal.

1 Like

100% normal. The toddler doesn’t need therapy, but your reaction to this incident gives me a feeling that you could possibly benefit from it. I don’t say this in a negative way AT ALL! We’re a therapy family, and it’s incredibly helpful for us! Your feelings are valid to be initially a little startled, but how we react to our kids doing normal kid things is important. It’s ok to seek help, especially when you’re feeling a little overwhelmed.

4 Likes

One time I was in the bathroom and the baby (6m) started to cry and then the cry was muffled. Finished up and came out to see that my toddler(3y) had draped a baby blanket over his little brother’s head. The baby was in his bouncer so essentially he turned him into a tent. He thought he was helping his brother to stop crying. I just explained that putting the blanket on his head isn’t nice and he should dance or sing to baby brother instead if he wants to help and I haven’t had any more issues. I think toddlers are most of the time trying to help and just don’t know they are doing it wrong or don’t understand they are stronger than the baby.

5 Likes

Very normal. Toddlers don’t understand how serious their actions can be.

1 Like

Never leave them alone they have no common sense at that age he just needs watching not therapy x

2 Likes

My daughted tries this with her 2 mo old brother intake it as she is trying to play with him and share her toys

1 Like

He’s a toddler-in alot of ways he’s still a baby himself. Teach him, guide him.

2 Likes

All thanks to Dr say for helping me getting my ex back I will be forever greatfu to you Dr say you can contact his on WhatsApp number:+2348118695823

Totally normal. Once, when my oldest was 2 and my middle child was 6 months old, my toddler almost threw a jug of change into the playpen at the baby. My toddler at the time was fascinated by the noise the change made when he rolled it around and decided his brother would want to play, too. Luckily, I caught him just as he was about to throw it onto his napping brother. :rofl::rofl: Now they’re 14 and 12, and we still pick on him about how he almost smashed his little brother with a jar of change.

Please don’t let the mean judgey comments discourage you… obviously not one time did she say she wanted to put her child in therapy… what I focused on the most here was “I am so upset I don’t know what to do” for some of you that vulnerability must have been a sign to kick her while she was down?? But mama you did the right thing by asking for advice from other MOMS who are here to help support each other (at least that’s what I’m here for) and to answer your question myself… you know how when a small child tries to show you something they place it directly in your cornea? That’s what your toddler was probably doing to the baby lol just try not to leave them alone and redirect them when necessary. Motherhood is a b!tch sometimes lol none of us are perfect at it. Not a single one :wink:

Therapy lol :joy: your child is a TODDLER! they’ll know what’s right from wrong as they grow older. Your toddler will learn it’s not nice to do that. Just keep an eye on them and teach them it’s not nice.

3 Likes

My nephew new born age, and ex sister in law was visiting,
He would not stop crying no matter what we tried. My 1 1/2 year old, when to her room, got a pair of socks…… yes she was going to put in his mouth to shut him up…

Next time take one of them to the door with you

very normal for a toddler

A TODDLER does not understand the dangers nor do they know what theyre doing. Your toddler isnt being harmful. You’re overreacting with thinking your child needs therapy or help. I’d start being concerned and afraid if he’s malicious, but he’s simply trying to share with the baby. Stuffed animals are the toddlers fun and enjoyment, so they probably want to give to the sibling.

You are to NOT leave small kids alone, let alone with each other. They do not understand dangers.

3 Likes

I think its normal…my oldest did the same thing …I was making din I could hear the baby crying but I couldnt stop what I was doing for a sec then the cries sounded muffled I went to check and the oldest was putting all the blankets on the babys face when I asked him why he said he was crying and he couldnt hear spongebob lol i quickly explain why we cant do that we lived in Italy at this time… a few month later when we moved back state side my oldest wanted to leave the baby in italy cause that’s were we got him lol…those 2 boys are my oldest and they are best friends now at 19 and 14

2 Likes

I don’t think you need to label him as a serial killer just yet Mom. It’s normal. I’m sure he thought he was hiding his sister not understanding that could cause her to not breathe well.

14 Likes

Extremely normal. She’s trying to play, but you should never leave them alone.

1 Like

Its a toddler…u left it alone with ur baby…what did u expect?

2 Likes

You should explain to him in away that he will understand that he shouldn’t put things on the babys face . See how he goes

1 Like

Never leave young kids unattended, take one to the door with you. When I asked God for children I found out God has a sense of humor. He gave me the two little souls that couldn’t get along, that He had to keep at opposite ends of Heaven, for my very own. My children are 16 months apart. The day their father and I brought our baby daughter home from the hospital when she was born, I turned to hang up coats after setting the baby carrier on the couch to find my 16 month old son, stealthily climbing the couch, Fisher-Price rattle in hand, preparing to smash his sister in the face! Only my startled squawk of “No!” Stopped him. He looked back at me, astonished. He thought what he had planned was perfectly reasonable. I had been gone too long. He tried to beat up his sister at every turn, all the time they were growing up. I didn’t dare turn my back if I could help it. When they got older, my daughter would retaliate. She had one of those toy brooms that comes with a little girl’s housekeeping play set. She got that out, cracked her brother in the back of the head with it, hid it behind the couch, and when he went for her, she started screaming and crying. I flew into the room from the kitchen, prepared to punish my son for attempted murder, and he started yelling that she started it. I stopped and looked at her innocent, too innocent expression, caught sight of the broom, then set them both in chairs for fifteen minutes. Later, when they were in school, my daughter started coming home from school starving hungry. She’d eat a snack and still eat a full supper. My son would come home all messed up, like someone had beat him up. I was ready to go to some kid’s parents’ house and raise the roof, but decided to quiz my daughter first. Turns out she had been paying one of the older boys her lunch money to beat up her brother because he had been giving her a hard time at school. I started sending a check to school for lunches, and my son was grounded for causing his sister grief. The conflict continued until they were almost grown. Then, in high school, they started getting protective of each other. They would verbally pick on each other, but no one else had better give them trouble. My daughter had a tendency to have problems with some of the girls she went to high school with. She would mouth off to them in frustration, they would borrow their parents’ cars and drive to our house to beat her up. My son used to stand sentinel on the front porch, shoulder to shoulder with me, to scare them off. The moral of the story is, you may find you have two little souls who don’t get along. Watch carefully. Try to keep a sense of humor. Love them both with all your heart. They will come to love each other.

Omg yes it’s very very very normal. It’s odd to me that you’re first instinct was therapy. Why? What??? LOLLL toddlers have absolutely no clue what is right from wrong. It worries me that you’re thinking like this. You are in for one hell of a ride because it’s just going to get worse and worse. Do not be alarmed when your sweet little baby turns into a “monster” because terrible 2s are one hell of a ride. I think both of my kids went thru 2 years of terrible 2s. Get ready. Lol :laughing: You basically have to train them to become who you want them to be. But before they get to that point, you’re going to go thru hell. Pure hell. And if you think what they just did was bad then I pity you deeply.

5 Likes

It’s normal. Your toddler doesn’t need therapy for trying to share toys or play with the baby. It’s a bittersweet moment. You have to explain and teach your toddler about not covering the baby’s face and how it could hurt the baby but it’s sweet because your toddler wants to play and share. Everyone’s so quick to “does my child need therapy” this is definitely not the case here.

5 Likes

Normal. Teach him to be easy.

It’s normal she’s only 3 years old she ain’t going to hurt that baby now when she gets up to 8 9 years old doing something like that then yeah then you have to watch her clothes she’s only playing with her right now

1 Like

When my son was born my daughter was about 3.5. I put him in the pack and play to shower. When I got out, she had covered his face with a blanket .

1 Like

you should never leave a toddler alone with a baby. they’re curious about everything like what happens when I pinch baby or she wants this toy surely on her face :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s normal. Don’t leave the kids by themselves. They don’t understand the dangers

1 Like

Yes it’s very normal. I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to pick her up. Just try to be more careful when you leave him and the baby unattended.

That’s very normal for a toddler, small children don’t understand that they’re going to hurt them until you explain it to them multiple times and teach them how to properly play with the baby. Your toddler may also try to pick up the baby so it’s ok important not to leave them alone together and also teach your toddler what isn’t safe to do.

2 Likes

l get paid over $125 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes over $23812 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Details HERE… https://dollargalaxy1.neocities.org/

That’s normal the toddler doesn’t understand that those action can kill a baby. They were probably just being super sweet sharing all the stuffed animals with the baby.

3 Likes

Totally normal . They don’t know that putting it on her face is dangerous. They just wanted to give offerings

Normal but you shouldn’t leave them alone the toddle doesn’t know not to cover the babies face or put some in the babies mouth.

5 Likes

Normal. I had 4 toddkers at once …just teach them that these are things you can not do. And do NOT leave them alone :rofl: i promise this could have been worse lol. I had some mean toddlers

1 Like

As a toddler, I held my younger brother’s head under water–luckily, Mom was close by and intervened. She believes that I was fascinated with the bubbles, as I’d never before or after tried to hurt him.

:joy: that’s beyond normal he’s trying to play with the baby that’s all. You just have to teach him how to play safelt

2 Likes

A toddler would kill you for a cookie you got to watch those little suckers ALL the time. He was probably just trying to play with the baby.

10 Likes

Hes a baby, just watch him closely

Not normal I have 4 kids all 3 of my boys are 3 years apart my last son and 1st daughter are 17 months apart and none of my kids had done this. My oldest also has autism and when they was that youn they never did that now at almost 11,8,5 and 4 they sometimes fight and throw toys at one another. My oldest has also been in therapy since he was 3

2 Likes

Not a good thing, protect your baby.

Probably just trying to share the toys :woman_shrugging: at that age i don’t think the concept of smothering someone is something they understand…

6 Likes

Normal just remind him that she can’t play like that right now and give him something that they can play with

4 Likes

Reminder to be careful

Just be more vigilant. Teach him to not play near her face. If it continues, yeah, you got a problem on your hands…

1 Like

:rofl:
Normal behavior.
They can’t be left unattended when they’re awake. You’ve got to be able to have visual of them at all times. Sounds like he’s just trying to play. Teach him not to place things in baby’s face.

6 Likes

Not sure if this is a serious question, but relax. Normal behaviour for sure, one of the reasons you can’t leave them alone for too long. It’s a sibling thing… just let him know we can’t do that because baby doesn’t know how to play like that yet.

4 Likes

But you no that thay get jealous

he NEEDS his ass spanked !!!

:laughing: seriously, this is just the beginning of sibling riveraly.

2 Likes

It can be normal. My son loaded my daughter up with ALL his cars.
I explained it was nice to share but not to put them on her like that because babies can be hurt easily. He was 2.5. He understood.

3 Likes

I have been hearing about cryptocurrency I never know how it works until I came across Mrs lisa jennifer trades and She makes me understand how it works, since then I’ve been investing in her platform and i have being making massive profits that’s why I decided to tell you, invest with the right manager today. Click on this name to message her

This is incredible wow :star_struck: I never knew investment in this trading platform is so profitable what a massive profit :partying_face: . Thanks so much Mrs lisa jennifer :two_hearts: for my successful investment am really grateful, to me this is more than a miracle securedbasefxoption is the best trading platform :blush::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Mrs lisa jennifer

The toddler was trying to play with the infant but doesn’t understand the danger

2 Likes

Since I started investing it has been smooth and no complain. But I still see people complaining in one way or the other. I wonder why investing in binary trading has been so profitable to me. So I think I should introduce my manager Mrs lisa jennifer to you if you’re interested. She has been a honest woman all through and I am still investing with her till today, her strategies are mind blowing and she always keep to her promises. Invest with the right manager and there will been no more weeping. She is paying profits and you will not be disappointed.
:point_down::point_down::point_down:

Unfortunately it is normal :woman_facepalming:t4: just be extra careful!

My son when 4 1/2yrs was kicking my 1 mo old daughter then covering her face with a pillow. Needless to say I spanked him right then and told him to never do it again. He never did it again.

Scary? Yes! Normal for some? Yes. Could’ve been play, could have been jealousy, there are too many unknown variables. What you do know is that you won’t leave them alone together (for awhile). My older son was a turd toward his younger brother…three years apart. We had a phase to get through. Mom: toddlers don’t need therapy. You are the best teacher available to your child.

Normal. We play with our almost 3 year old, and throw pillows and blankets at him. It’s a game for us, but he got to where he wanted to do it to his brother and he’s but to be a year old snd we had to teach him that he can’t do it like we do. My MIL has told me stories of my husband’s older brother throwing stuffed animals on top of my husband while he slept in the crib as a baby. It’s normal, toddlers just don’t know any better until they’re told and showed.

When I was in your position many years ago I was also worried and noticed a reoccurring theme. I did reach to a play therapist and it was extremely helpful. My daughter did have some issues and I was glad I did. Go with your gut it very well may be nothing but if it seems to be happening often or you truly are concerned I would not hesitate to get some help. Good luck.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Is this normal toddler behavior?

No my daughter and nephew use to do the same thing. Just don’t say anything when she spits it out as she is looking for attention. It’s just a phase and will pass

My 13 month old is all or a sudden a turd with food too. No advice just solidarity