Let's talk child support

My child’s Father sees him every other weekend as he takes him for a visit… do you think it’s fair if he also pays child support as he’s only caring for him around the clock 4/30days. Not to mention child support was only 100 for him (not through the courts) and he stopped paying months and months ago… but he was also seeing him more but it’s back at every other weekend now.

10 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. Let's talk child support - Mamas Uncut

Yes, I get nothing. Looking after a child is expensive.

Usually anything less than 50/50 will have the parent with the child less time paying support.

3 Likes

Yes if he only sees his kid 4 days out of the month then he needs to pay CS and more than $100

6 Likes

My ex has my daughter every other weekend as well. And pays 167 every 2 weeks per court order.

1 Like

Yes. He has a financial obligation for his child.

5 Likes

… yes! My first sons father had him every weekend and still paid 300 a month.

2 Likes

If you need the help, that’s what it’s there for

In saying that, people who demand child support when they don’t need it are the worst

8 Likes

My ex has my son every weekend Friday 6pm-Sunday 6pm. He’s suppose to pay 100$ a month. But he pays me 5$ a month… it’s been 4 year and up until this past year he paid the full amount. But this time last year he was diagnosed with diabetes and “ can’t work”. He might as well just keep his 5$ he obviously needs it more than I do and what can 5$ get a 4 year old.

4 Likes

Go to court, and let the courts handle it. I drove my ex, we went together, it’s for the kid, not you guys. They’ll even give your kid insurance through dad’s work. It can save you much unnecessary stress.

1 Like

Yes if its not 5050 time then there’s money he gotta pay

1 Like

Depends. Is 50/50 an option? If it is switch to that and drop the child support as 50/50 should be the go to whenever possible

7 Likes

I would have a talk w/ him and tell him you not only need him to start paying his child support but you need to increase it to three, four hundred! It is expensive to raise a child! $100 can no longer cut it! After all that is his child too! If he throws a fit, go to child support enforcement, and file a petition for support. He’s lucky in some states if he fails to pay child support child enforcement would either take it out of his paycheck, or fine him and place him in jail or both!! His rights can also be terminated. Stay firm sweetheart, your baby deserves more whether his father wants him to or not!Good luck❣️

3 Likes

I’ve never bothered going after child support. Honestly it’s to much of a headache.

4 Likes

OK, factor in his monthly income vs. your monthly income, then how many days a month each of you care for the child. The difference is what he pays so you each have equal funds to care for the child on the days she/he is with each person. So if it’s 50/50 whoever has more income pays a certain amount to the other spouse. If it’s 20/80 the amount increases for the person who has the child more. Check with a Women’s center or lawyer to see what you’d be entitled to (or have to pay if you are the primary wage earner).

Sounds like you need to go file for child support through the court. That way he has penalties if he just stops paying and he can loose all visitation rights for not paying a child is a financial obligation till he turns 18 don’t think about it do it

3 Likes

CS is corrupt. Maybe ask him to help more financially support yalls kid.
I mean, if he takes yalls kids a few times a month maybe he has necessities and what not at his house.

6 Likes

Whether or not you NEED it is irrelevant. It’s his child as well. Put it aside for the child future or something.

8 Likes

If the kid needs the money, the kid needs the money. He can man up and pay for his kid.

1 Like

Why do men think they don’t have to pay for they’re children?:woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2::woman_facepalming:t2: They wonder why they get called deadbeats.

8 Likes

If one day the child decides to live with dad are you going to pay him ?

2 Likes

According to my ex him having them 2 days a month and me the rest is 50/50, lol. He does pay though but only takes them when he feels like it.

Turn him into child support and get a custody agreement cause in my state a custody agreement it nothing to do with child support. My ex sees his daughter every other weekend as stated per custody agreement and he was paying child support for a long time got held in contempt for it and now he pays or he will go to jail.

1 Like

50/50 legal and physical custody should always be an option, unless one of the parents is truly unfit. Children need BOTH parents.

2 Likes

Even with court orders some deadbeats don’t pay and don’t see their offspring. Glad he is at least seeing the child sometimes. But you should still get support for that child regardless. Go to court and get it on paper.

Does he WANT to see his kid more

$100 a week or a month??That’s more than fair. Either way is more than fair. He only takes care of your child for r days out of 30. He still has a responsibility to be paying for half of his child’s life. Chikd support is supposed to pay for half of the child’s living expenses like rent, food, clothes, electric bill, heat, gas for childs apts and medical care. 100 a week is fair… I have 3 kids with my ex and he never sees any of the kids. And he only pays 100 a week total for 3 kids. One of those 3 kids lives with my mom, she gets the $33 a week from his child support from his sperm donor PLUS I pay her. And I still take care of him. I see my child often. I still pay $100 a week for 1 child and pay an additional $200-300 a month for his food. For 1 child. My ex pays 100 a week for 3 kids. Take him to court if he won’t pay you. He needs to be paying. It’s ridiculous that he thinks he doesn’t have any responsibility for his kid except for those 4 days.

Child support is the child’s money, not for a parent.

2 Likes

He’s taking him 4 days out of 30. The child is in school more hours than he has him. Since the child lives with you, you are required by law to provide a room for him, utilities, clothes, school supplies, medical care etc. All those things are expenses he does not have to occur for 4 days a month. He should be paying child support. Take his *ss to court for child support. He may end up paying less than $100. He may end up paying more. There’s no guarantee he’ll pay it all. But at least you’ll have a way to enforce it.

1 Like

I agree he should pay child support. Visitation should never be based on whether or not child support is paid.

3 Likes

Have it done through the courts

3 Likes

Go to court…because he absolutely should be paying child support.

3 Likes

Start a case with child support and let them decide the amount

1 Like

So my 3 oldest kid’s dad gets the kids every other weekend and pays $65 twice a week though child support. But when needed help he helps out also I got very lucky. The thing is have you tried to talk to him? I was getting $89 than they cut it down but didn’t tell us why so the best thing to do is if he don’t want to pay call child support and see what they can do

That support is owed to your child for their needs. Get it for your child and he can still have the same amount of custody. And if he quits paying you have some recourse.

I would tell him he has until next visit to bring the agreed upon amount ($100) and if he doesn’t you will be filing for child support. Let him know the first time he does not pay every month that you will file through the courts. Praying

1 Like

Don’t worry about what others think

What works best for you him and the child

I don’t belive in child support unless ur on walfare cause then it not fare to other tax paper to pay for ur shit I personally would not do child support

Does your child eat, has a roof over his head, electricity, clothes etc the remaining 26 days of the month??? If you answered yes then of course he should pay to help with the bills! :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It also depends on his income how much his child support amount will for my ex his wages were based at 20$ an hr I have sole custody and visitation upon my discretion and his payment amount was to be 359$ a month now has he payed a dime no and fro has done nothing to make him pay over 4 years you can go to court get a custody agreement and they will set a child support payment based on his income but there’s no guarantee if you will see anything

If he wants his kid 50/50 & you don’t allow it then no you don’t need the money.

Regardless of any circumstances it’s my kid never asked for money and never will because my child/ children are what I work and live for. Dad or no one else matters Regardless of the quality or time they spent

The need for child support depends on your individual situation. A lot of people say run for child support. In my opinion, it depends on the situation between you and the father. If he is involved and helpful, then what is the need for child support? If the mother has custody and the father sees the child, does for the child, helps with needs etc, then the father is doing his part. If the father isn’t involved, is inconsistent, doesn’t help you with things for the child, then yea, he should be on child support.

He helped make that child so he can help support it. Just file for child support and let the court hash out what he should be paying. I promise it’s less of a headache. I was in a situation similar to yours and it ended up being a huge fight, hurt our relationship for co parenting, and a lot of extra stress with us trying to agree outside of court. Now it’s not I want this and he wants that. It’s they said this this and this and we can go back to court if there’s a problem.

Maybe he’s struggling keeping up with bills. Relationship is important and it’s wonderful that he spends more time with him. Maybe ask him why he isn’t paying. And if he can pay more would he be able to pay.

It is his responsibility to pay child support whether he sees the child or not