My 1-year-old daughter is very mean: Advice?

Hey moms. My daughter is a year and almost half old and is very mean. It might sound a little ridiculous, but she is. I do not condone or allow the behavior she gets put in her room for a minute or receives a stern NO and is removed from the environment completely of where the situation is a occurred and she is reminded to be nice and no hitting. Obviously, she may not fully grasp the information given, as she is only a year old, but I’m trying. Shes constantly slapping people in the face digging her fingers and nails into people’s faces, and trying to what seems to rip their face off and makes an almost bark squeal. As well as caught her trying to step on the dog yesterday. It’s crazy. I don’t condone hitting. Twice I’ve given the two fingers on the top of the hand it was while catching her in the act of going to hit. I feel it’s not teaching much, especially at this age. I’m is not sure what to do. I called early intervention yesterday, and they are open to looking into the behavior. My question for moms is one what was your response to this kind of behavior at an early age and two if you have dealt with early age aggressive babies/toddlers how is it now for your children/teens. I’m not looking for nasty comments I’m looking for INSIGHT thankyou

18 Likes

Honestly, it’s probably just the age. Our two year old is pretty much the same way. It just takes time. My first child comprehended right away what she was and wasnt allowed to do. And our second sometimes just seems like she is off the wall bonkers. Just work with her. It’ll get better with time. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That age is difficult… I would say keep up the talking and redirection for sure. I definitely would swat my kids on the hand when they tried to hit, bit etc… I know some people prefer other methods and thats ok… its usually just a phase and if you keep up letting them know it is not ok and won’t be tolerated they grow out of it.

1 Like

Your patience and consistency is key. You and your baby will get through this, Mama! :blush:

1 Like

My son bit at that age. The only thing that worked was the Respond Not React method. Say no the first time. The second time, immediately put her down, walk away, whatever it is that removes your attention (or remove her from the dog, etc). Stay out of her sight but where you can keep on eye on her for a couple minutes then return to playing, holding, etc. Don’t yell, hit or act excited or animated at all. Any attention, even negative attention, is what they want. They love the reaction it gets. Remove yourself, your attention and your reaction every time and the behavior will go away because she’s not getting the desired result.

1 Like

It’s a phase. Just say no it hurts and remove child. Eventually they pick up rights and wrongs.

1 Like

Honestly, I know you don’t want to but spank her. I’m not at all suggesting that you beat her, but she does need to understand that hitting/scratching/etc. hurts. A pop on the bottom that stings isn’t abuse and in some cases where the behavior has a overwhelming tendency to get out of hand, it’s necessary. Think of these two scenarios: 1) one day she will be equal in size or bigger than you. What happens when she hits or slaps you then? 2) what happens if this continues as she gets older and she tries it with someone who in turn stomps a mud hole in her butt because she bit off more than she could chew by hitting the wrong person. Personally, I’d rather her receive a spanking from me so that she learns that you Tab King I’m not saying he did. I’m asking for future situations in the instance that someone resists arrest, because obviously something has to change. I’m asking you for your position on when an officer is justified in firing his weapon. aren’t simply asking for her respect but instead require it rather than continue to “baby her” for lack of better words. Let me reiterate that in no way do I condone beating children. I do, however, believe that spankings are required to show the seriousness of certain behaviors.

8 Likes

Shes frustrated sounds like. Does she get uninterrupted one on one, face to face time with you or dad? One is a really hard age

Try rewards vs punishments. So if she does something good give her all the praise and maybe a special treat. When she does bad reprimand her or do as you are doing and remove her from the environment. She will start to seek the good. Remember sometimes some attention even if it’s a negative attention is still attention. She may be doing it to get more attention.

Sounds completely like a phase to me. It will pass! Just keep up with removing her from the situation and reiterating “no”. My son was this way too at that age…oh, and the biting! That’s a phase too. He’s now a well adjusted, kind and considerate young man…he’s 13.

1 Like

She testing you see what she can get away with. But it will pass c

1 Like

My 1 and a half year old is the same. My other two kids before her did not act that way so i just do what you do. All we can really do is redirect. I honestly think it’s just their age.

I had something similar with my son at that age. He was a biter. Dunno why. And honestly I can’t say that anything ever really helped. He just grew out of it. Just keep doing what you’re doing. Reinforce good behavior. Punish bad behavior. Obviously hitting or whipping isn’t the answer because you don’t want to do to her what she’s doing. Kindve like what someone else was saying. Correct her but try to give as little attention to it as possible. When it happens take her somewhere to a crib or whatever where she can’t see you or anyone else and isn’t getting attention

I would start with other family moms…talk to pediatrician…look up parenting groups online. There are a couple things I can suggest…neither of them bad…but you may not except them. There is a child considered spirited bc their minds work quicker( not smarter)then the average child. Also…I don’t know if this is your first child( you didn’t say)…but I think ypu need a little child guidance class. It might be something you are or are not doing for the child.

We’re going through the same! Its just the age

My son slapped me once so I slapped his hand and sternly told him no. He never did it again. There is nothing wrong with slapping a kids hand to make them stop the bad behavior. My daughter hasn’t done that yet but if she does then I’d do the same thing to her. And I dont wanna hear any crap from anyone about smacking a kids hand. There is nothing wrong with it. Our parents did it and we are fine. My daughter threw a hard toy at my dog last week and i slapped her hand and told her no. They understand! She hasn’t done it again.

5 Likes

If she does it to you,then do it back to her so she can see that it hurts. I had one that started biting…bit her back…and it never happened again. My second starting hitting,so I hagaveve her a pop back and it stopped once she heard No when I popped and found out I wasn’t going to cuddle her after.

1 Like

I just tell my daughter no very firmly. Then I hug her and say hugs not hits.

One of the best decision i ever made was contacting pade Okaka to help me get my lover back, I was life filled with happiness after i contacted Dr Okaka because he didn’t just bring my lover back to me he also made our love for each other more unique and super. If you need to spice your relationship with more love and romance contact Dr. pade OKAKA. email: [email protected] Or whatsapp him on :+2348115981627 and i assure you things will turn around for you.

1 Like

My baby just turned 14 months, so a little younger than yours. When she hits or is aggressive, we take her hand and make her softly caress whatever she was aggressive with, and say “be nice to x” now when we say the word nice she smiles and caresses our faces, its sweet. It may not work right away but it’s worth a try.

2 Likes

Just hug her & hold her… Kiss her… Let her know you love her… Time goes by too fast…

My daughter does the hitting not hard but its her way if doing things her speech is delay n we have earlg intervention in and they say its a sign of behavior cause she gets frustrated cause she cant communicate that well but what we do is is say those are our hands to hug

1 Like

This is very average Behavior for a child this age.
She hasn’t learned yet that everything does not belong to her, and they’re also at that age where they’re starting to understand but can’t articulate what they want.
Baby sign may help but what you’re doing right now continue doing on a very consistent basis.
And it will take a while, she’s going right into her toddler years, good luck lol
The only thing spanking did for my daughter was make her extremely angry and even hit more.
Working at day care has taught me that a very consistent timeout routine, House Rules, and a behahavior chart really work.
She’s not going to truly understand yet but your continued persistence will teach her what she needs in time.

It’s like you took the words out of my mouth… idk what to do I feel like she is so young to act this way. And she’s constantly hitting her sister and she seven and sometimes seems scared of her own little sister. I too am looking for advice and I don’t need to be anonymous. Someone give me advice lol

Pretty sure that’s normal for her age. Just wait the next few phases will be lovely lol

It sounds like a phase to me. I would talk to your pediatrician about their thoughts on correcting the behavior. When you punish a child that young with a punishment that isn’t at their developmental level, they aren’t going to learn anything from it.

It’s a phase my son will be 2 in September and he does the same thing but I have him all most broke him from it

I would check with the doctor. It may be nothing, but it also may be something to be concerned about. I had concerns with one of my 3 kids who are all adults now. Turned out to be autism and having early intervention made all the difference in how she is now at the age of 20. Better to err on the side of safety when it comes to precious little ones.

4 Likes

has there been an introduction of a new baby?

Keep it consistent and try to teach empathy. If she hits then say “Ouch! you hurt mama.” Then maybe fake cry and say “Not nice!” Then put her in her crib or play pen for like 5 minutes or if she’s crying leave her till her fit is over. Then when she done you come in with a gentle voice and say “Do a nice touch.” Then take your hand and put it gently on her face. Caress her face then take her hand and do the same to your face.

What i did with my 3 kids.

5 Likes

She loves the reaction she gets when shes doing it. A firm hand grab and pop and a hard NO.

My middle child was the same way. With my first i would say “no, that hurts” and he would stop. Wuth my middle one i would try the same thing (the things so many others on here are suggesting) and IT DIDN’T WORK!! The summer he was 18 months almost broke me! By the end of the summer I felt on the verge of a breakdown because of his trantrums and behaviors. Now, I love my son without question, but he has a STRONG personality (at times stronger than mine). I see now that a big part of his behaviof had to do with communication. He just FELT so much but couldnt commynucate his feelings. I have always thought that he feels deeper/bigger than most. His anger, frustration, retalitation but also his love! He is my cuddle bug who tells me he loves me more than anyone. But when he is angry…watch out! When he was 18 months it was hitting and kicking and screaming. Spankings or hand hitting only made it worse. It was like the only lesson he learned from that was that it was ok to hit. Time outs were painful (for me) but worked better because we worked on coping strategies during this time. I’d light a lighter and we’d practice blowing out our anger. We would squeeze a fist so tight and hold for 10 seconds then “throw our anger down”. He is now 3 and still has major struggles compared to my other two, but we work through it. He HAS to be heard. If I get impatient and don’t let him tell me what is upsetting him, he escalates. If I give him my full attention and empathy his needs are better met. My advise to you is to use visuals with yoyr child. Find a happy face a mad face and a sad face. Work on having her point to those when she is upset so she can “tell” you what she is feeling. Then find coping strategies to work through her anger. Blow bubbles, blow out candles, squeezes or hugs. That will help her work though it better than a spanking or just a time out. ALL kids are different!! You are doing awesome and it says a lot that you are looking for help and advise!! It is so hard to not react, but try to relate and not react. God luck mama!! You can get through this!!!

2 Likes

Um, shes gonna be 2. Just gotta keep telling her no and explaining why. She dont any better, you gotta teach her. Good luck.

Spank her. Time out, removal from situation obviously is not working. I had three and when needed spanked them. They grew up into 3 successful young ladies.

1 Like

Try busting her butt with a paddle problem solved.

1 Like

Honestly, it sounds like innocent curiosity to me. I would encourage you not to punish her too much, but you are on a great path with telling her what is right and wrong.

1 Like

How about a good old Spanking and standingin the Corner?

1 Like

It is probably just a phase since she is only 1 but I saw that you said you’ve already called early intervention so just follow through with that. For my daughter it was just a phase. It’s frustrating but hang in there :heart: it’s just the beginning of raising these tiny humans

I know it’s 2020 and spanking your kids is frowned upon in society now but honestly. Pop. That. Tail. Not all out, swing your arm back behind your head and knock tf out of her. Just a little pop on the butt/leg area that stings enough to make her little 1 year old brain go “Ow. That hurts”

I myself am a child of this method (alot rougher though, that bitch smacked me one time​:joy:) I love my momma to pieces, don’t know where I would be without that woman and I’m one of the most respectful people you will ever meet in your life, always have been. (when it’s NECESSARY because I’m grown now and quite enjoy my foul mouthed, backwoods, rough around the edges tendencies lol) :wink:

I’m sorry but how do people think this is normal behavior for a one year old? It sounds like she has been doing this for awhile. Please continue with the early intervention referral. You are doing what you need to do and please don’t introduce more severe punishments like a paddle or something. It could be as “easy” as looking for attention or something much worse. Continue with the referral and continue to seek out child professionals.

She is doing it BC it gets a reaction out of you and others involved. Just wait mama…it gets worse…my daughter is 3 (threenager) :joy:

4 Likes

When is she doing it and what’s the reaction she’s receiving?
Is it when she’s frustrated or all the time, what is she trying to communicate with you?

1 Like

My son is 1 years old and went through a very small phase like that where he was mean to the cats. He would scratch our faces in yank our hair while screeching and laughing but I think that he was just really excited. It seemed mean to us but I think they’re a little too little too quite comprehend that they’re hurting us?

1 Like

May be super repetitive but how much alone time do you guys get? My daughter gets like this if I don’t give her time for us… I linked it maybe attention and maybe boredom. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Say ouch when baby hits and with animals needs to learn to stay clear and be gentle I put my one year old hand up to the cats and say gentle while I help her pet them

1 Like

Slap her hands when she hits or claws ya. Not a pat. A slap

I had one. My 8 year old son now. And guess what? He is the sweetest child of my 3. He was 2 went to therapy for at least 2 1/2 years off and on. And his doing great.

When my daughter could start walking, she got told to stop 2 times, that third time she got popped. Now she is 3 and gets told 1 time to stop and then she gets a spanking.

5 Likes

Following!!
My one year old is going through the exact same thing right now with the addition of head butting (people, objects and even the floor) when he gets mad. I’ve also been smacking his hand and doing the “no! That hurts people we don’t hit/bite/scratch” and then putting him down away from everyone else. And then after a few I’ll play with him or ‘distract’ him with a toy or book. We went almost a full week without biting but it didn’t last. I have noticed a decrease in his biting but not other “bad” behaviors? Mqybe it is just a phase bc our babies sound like they’re going through something very similar.

Maybe try a completely different approach and when she hurts someone else especially you, make a huge deal and “cry” really loud, tell her how much that hurt. Make a big spectacle of what she did. Now if that doesn’t work pop her back. And then ask her how she likes it? Tell her that the animals are going to get mad and bite her back, or tell her that they have to leave until she’s nice to them. Kids understand what you tell them from the start. You just have to get on their level and figure out what will work for that child.

Girl just wait until they’re in their tween years :woman_facepalming:t2:

Smacking a child to teach them not to smack is fruitless. Our 14mo is currently going through this and when she does it we give a very stern no with an angry face and put her away from us in a corner. The worst punishment for a child that age is being ignored or excluded. She’s gradually getting better x

3 Likes

My daughter bit, hit, scratched but she was still a good baby. They outgrow it. I would just tell her no and give her the look and she’d run. But give it time she’s still grasping what things are and what she’s touching. When she touches your face or hits or whatever she may do tell her what part of the body or item it is and explain to her we don’t hit it. My daughter always went after the face and I told her no that’s my face we pet it don’t hit and now she’s 3 1/2 and so much better

I’m a mother of a boy and girl 23 and 22 and I have a grandson 3 and one on the way and raised many a kid … sounds to like she’s very smart being that little children will always see what they can get away with testing boundaries stay strong Momma say no stay strong you got this talk to her give her love and say unacceptable behavior beautiful … just a suggestion

My daughter is 10 month and she is doing the same things. My doctor says she isn’t on any mental spectrum from their tests. Sometimes it what they see and they think it’s okay. My daughter is around her cousins a lot and they are always fighting and my husband plays rough with them and ever since we started babysitting them it has gotten progressively worse. She might just think it’s okay because other kids do it.

1 Like

I’ve raised 4 daughters and have 11 grandkids. There is nothing abnormal about this behavior.! Your one year old is getting a reaction when she does these things, therefore she continues and the behaviour becomes ’ bigger’ ( more) as the reactions are bigger due to your concern. It probably began when she was tired/ frustrated. And that along with looking at her actions from an adult perspective, you ( and others) relate it to anger, when in reality it’s cause and effect!:wink: perfectly normal! With a schedule as consistent as you can, absolutely NO REACTION when this behavior is being done ( facial expressions are huge for a child this age!! Show NOTHING) just grab her hands hold them together and quickly put something soft ( teddy) in them while removing the person ( out of reach only) maybe turn her facing away from you, and caress her arm saying NICE while showing her the behaviour you want to see. When she touches softly show a big response and facial expressions!!! 2-3 days and it should be a broken habit :wink: you’re doing great!!!

10 Likes

She may need to be examined to determine if she developing normally for her age. She may be on the spectrum, as this is behavior that seems more like she is overwhelmed and overstimulated and lacks the capacity to cope.

2 Likes

What Tracey said… she is clearly frustrated and I always tell my moms group talk to your baby, like she is an adult. They understand our language, they just dont speak it. When my son would get frustrated I would sit him down and and calmly explain that his behavior wasn’t OK and that I needed a break, I was a single mom and this worked everytime… that said I think you should have her hearing checked just in case. Sending love and loads of patience. You’re doing fine

1 Like

At 18 months she should just be firmly told no thats not nice and removed from situation. A bit young for time outs to make sense to her. Is she treated nasty by someone when you are not around?

4 Likes

All early childhood development specialist would not agree with meeting aggression with aggression. Let’s not strike a baby! You are trying very appropriate things. She is old enough for the time outs!

1 Like

I had two babies of my own, and then raised four newborns to age 3. I would take her hand and kiss it, and say no…to get away from their bad behavior show them good behavior. Do you think she gets attention this way, or she is just testing you?

1 Like

My daughter used to do this from 1years old to about 2years old maybe less.
But she grew out of it. I think it’s just a phase but she did the EXACT same things. They are little and just learning and growing. Expressing emotions they couldn’t before :woman_shrugging:t2: its all about how you handle it, you are doing great!! I’ve told my daughter to go sit in the corner, I tell her NO, I give examples of being nice and words of affirmation. Sometimes they just need more attention. Good luck to you!

1 Like

My 4 year old has always been aggressive with violent tendencies. From 2 1/2 to now (one week before his 4th birthday) has been a nightmare. And it’s not because he can’t express himself, this kid has been talking full sentences since one, his reaction to frustration is just violence/aggression and I don’t know why. But the last month to six weeks, he’s shown a dramatic improvement in self soothing and calming himself down, even though we’re not really doing anything different so I have no advice other than hang in there!

1 Like

This is not normal behavior for a one year old. Suggest you ask her pediatrician ,who he would recommend as far as counseling

3 Likes

With my 18 month old,when she goes to hit,push,pull ect… I place her left hand in mine and rub the top with my right hand and a very calm soothing voice “nice,be nice… we don’t hit” while looking her in the eye and calmly repeating this a few times. It has helped a lot. She occasionally acts out when tired but I still do the same even then.
Recently she started repeating," nice" immediately changes her attitude when being told and redirected of how to act.

2 Likes

Teach her sign language? Sound like she’s frustrated little girl. My little one has a temper once in a while and because she knows sign language, she was able to quickly work her emotions out by communicating with me.

Give it a try :slight_smile:

2 Likes

just a little pop on the rear/side and told the reason why she should not do these things … she may be young but yes they understand even if she is yelling still finish your statement/discipline…and don’t put her in the room make a child sit on the couch or at the table… the room to me is like they are still getting away and get to be alone mad …so then you sit next to them and explain further why and in a firm voice Jesus is watching so be good …and say I love you and some prayer over a child and behavior never hurt it’s great to let the Lord in

I can see why you would be concerned.talk to your daughter at eye level . when she is mean say to her sternly no we do not hurt others .we do not scratch , kick or bite whatever it may be . give her a time out in the naughty chair if she does.dont give up .make her stay there i min for every yr . then go back you were in the time out chair because you hit billy . then have her apologise and hug her release her . bt be persistant . she will test you

1 Like

I agree with Laura Casey. When you used appropriate corporal punishment it works. I raised 6 girls and none of them are aggressive. Some of them do as I did and some don’t. The one that doesn’t has had a hard time with her children. I bit if they bit and hit when they hit and they stopped very fast it didnt take a week of talking and sitting in a corner either

2 Likes

Pop her hand or swat her behind when she gives bad behavior. Sit her down and put her in time out and explain why she was popped or spanked. Continue until she knows you will not put up with her meanness or disobedience.

1 Like

When she pinches u or anyone , pinch her back where it hurts, she will scream holy murder, but she will soon learn not to pinch,

if you can board these animals for a week or two or have the animals visit … and i’m sorry but you will have to tell the child the animals had to leave cause you hurt them… and they won’t come back until I tell them you will not do it again… things along those lines… and no play dates until you see a change… have one child over around the child’s age if they continue to act the same (already plan for it) the visit will be cut off and she will know why just by seeing them leave due to behavior… I mean if it is of that caliber where you called someone or center already… so a drastic play out of repercussions for these types of behaviors calls for trial runs to set things straight… it won’t last she will get it…but stay firm and God Bless

I have a one year old that does the same thing he will hit to get your attention that’s how he thinks to communicate because he doesn’t really talk yet I just tell him no don’t hit these people telling u to hit are crazy that’s not the way u teach i have four kids my oldest is 14 and i have never hit any of them both my girls are teenager and r really good have no issues I think u cause more if u where to hit a child then talk to them they will eventually understand

Kids that young don’t know how to express their feelings and become frustrated and sometimes act out by hitting or biting. Maybe try and help her better communicate how she feels. Hang in there momma.

1 Like

Both my kids went through the “it’s so funny to bite the hell out of you” stage. Had to deal with both differently. My son all I had to do to finally get him to stop was scream at the top of my lungs very loud and start crying. This made him stop because he didn’t like hurting mommy or her feelings, my daughter how ever…very different…trying the afore mentioned just spurred her on with laughter, so when I finally had enough I had to scream then cry ( those tiny couple of teeth she hurt hurt like hell) I then bit her back. Then it stopped when she learned it wasn’t funny and she learned what “hurt” really felt like.

My daughter used to bite people at that age, so when all else failed, I started biting her back. She realized it was painful & she didn’t like it, so she stopped.

6 Likes

My 3 year old granddaughter started doing this since the courts have made her mom let dad have her every other week . She did a complete 180 i asked her is she does this when she’s with her dad she said no he will beat my ass I was like wow kid no cussing so yeah that’s happening also .

why take her to an intervention specialist? She’s a baby and they all go through that stage. All 7 of my kids have. Just snatch her up and tickle her or something to get her distracted. She will grow out of it.

1 Like

Have you had her hearing checked? I hear from a child psychologist friend that sometimes early bad behavior can be from hearing issues :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Im sorry but i would tear that butt up then sit here down or what ever she dose to others do it to her and let her feel how bad that is im old and maybe its because id switched those legs when mine was little but they neverf acted out like this

Children do not know what they do not know. They learn as they experience things. She is following through on an action. The pain that goes along with it is not relevant to her because it hasn’t happened to her. The next time she smacks someone smack her back. You have tried everything else. At some point she needs to know how what she is doing feels. It will only get worse if it isn’t corrected. Smacking her doesn’t mean yelling or screaming at her. You still need to be able to talk to her in a normal voice. This is not a threat. It is corrective behavior. It is verbally letting her now to stop hitting and if she does it again she will be punished. You do not need to threaten her with being smacked. You are trying to correct the behavior with being overly aggressive.

They say children learn what they live. Is someone being mean to your child? Maybe someone is doing the scratching and slapping?

1 Like

Does she have a older sibling? Maybe someone is doing those things to her

1 Like

You really need to get her in to see a specialist. Once a person begins cruel behavior, as to stepping on a dog or digging fingers and nails into people’s faces, then there IS a HUGE PROBLEM. Eons ago, parents just ignored cruel/strange behavior and their child ended up on the wrong side of the law as teens and adults. The sooner she gets help - the better it will be for all.

1 Like

Im curious and im going to post what yr I was born and give my ideas. (1980).

I agree with do to her what she’s doing or give her a tap on the diaper enough to get her attention.

3 Likes

Sounds like a child Mick mg a cats behavior do you have a cat

Definitely work on her treatment of the dog- we do NOT want her to get bit

2 Likes

you called someone? please don’t take it wrong but no… they are quick to label a child with a disorder.

Time to spank her diaper covered butt. She needs to learn her actions have
Consequences. My son was a biter one day for no reason leaned over the shopping cart and but my hand. I bit him back. Not hard or deep just enough for him to realize that hurts and he never bit anyone again

5 Likes

I was born in 59. And I also bit them back just to show it hurts and that stopped it. Also what works is 1,2,3 rule. If you haven’t heard of it. First you stop the child kneel or go down to there Leyte level tell them what the did was wrong. If don’t stop eye yo eye again give warning that do not stop going to have consequence or maybe verbiage you would use for punishment. Tell them what that would be etc. if they do it again that’s it timeout. No matter where they are or what your doing put them in time out. Pick a spot to sit and put them there. It might take a few times but it works. And when you get frustrated just say to them I am counting. 1,2,3 ok go to timeout. Puff. It works. I raised 3 children and have 3 grandchildren. First time they do something you do the first step. If they continue go straight to 1,2,3. Timeout. Goes by age but those 5 and under I did 5 minutes. So if 8 do 8 minutes. And do on. Give it a try not kidding it’s great.

1 Like

Need to be consistent and firm .

Aybe have her see a psychotherapist or behaviorist

1 Like

She’s wearing a diaper spank her butt

7 Likes

Maicey West Malcolm Brown

Year her little ass up

Following, same boat

Start whooping. She’ll understand.

1 Like

It could be a personal space issue. They lash out when frustrated or over stimulated. It’s not called terrible two’s for nothing. They are going through huge emotional developments and sometimes the reactions are to lash out when they dont understand all these new feelings. Just keep on going mommy. Encourage good behaviours clap cheer and everything you are already doing. When they act out give them space and a very neutral poker face try not show a reaction to the negative behaviours. (Extremely hard to do) and very hard not to react in frustration. Your stern No’s and timeouts will work repetative behaviour over and over. And then maybe after time out an extra cuddle or a super fun thing she likes to do is often distraction enough.

Hitting is a phase a lot of kids go through. But don’t hit her or spank her hand in reaction because that just reinforces hitting.

Take her hand and use it to touch nicely and say we don’t hit. We only do nice touches. And then work on catching her being nice.

When they’re one all they know is the reaction or consequence they see is because if something they did. They don’t know it’s mean.

And then use redirection away from whatever her target is.

Hi! I am an Occupational Therapy Assistant and work with children from 0-18years. I also have my own daughter who is 19 months. While I agree with everyone stating they are trying to communicate and have little words to do so, seeking attention and having increased want for independence and expressing themselves. I would also try deep pressure. Have her carry heavy things. Create a backpack that has weight to it (books, toys whatever) she is little so she may not want to wear it but keep trying! Amazon and other places sell weighted balls. Those are great for deep input and regulation. This deep input is called proprioception and basically our bodies have many receptors that sense the deep pressure (like back when we are all balled up in the womb) and it helps calm us. I hope this makes sense and is helpful! Sensory integration can be confusing and a lot to swallow!