My 1 year old will not feed herself: Advice?

Yes, STOP TRYING TO FORCE THE CHILD TO DEVELOP FASTER THAN SHE IS READY TO.
YOU need to figure out why YOU are in such a hurry!
Smh, I think you need to talk to a therapist before you damage that kid’s self esteem. You can’t fail at being a baby!

8 Likes

Feed your baby her bottle… shes not gonna be small for much longer :frowning:

2 Likes

I still struggle with this with my 6 yr old…

She might have a issue with getting her hands dirty. My nephew was funny about using his hands for certain foods

3 Likes

Feed her so she’s not hungry. Then leave her in her high chair with some snacks to feed herself. She’ll catch on just be patient with her

1 Like

Reward with snacks if she can eat few pieces but you’ll have to train/teach

She’s only one…give it time😁

4 Likes

Patience…enjoy your baby

1 Like

Honestly I’m curious what the pediatrician has to say about her not picking up the food with her fingers and attempting to get it into her mouth. She should be doing that. Should have been doing that since about 9 months, maybe a bit sooner. Picking up those pieces of food is teaching hand-eye coordination, fine motor skills, plus the life skill of feeding herself.
I suggest you leave some pieces of food on her tray and encourage her to pick them up herself, even if that means you have to actually put them in her fingers and help her bring it to her mouth. Same with the bottle (should have been doing that since she was 5 months old). Put her hands around the bottle and have her help you hold it.

7 Likes

Every child is different. When they are ready they will make the steps!

1 Like

Follow SolidStarts on IG. You may find helpful tips and tricks to having a “good” eater.

My daughter refused to hold her bottle but once I switched to a sippy cup that had a weighted straw she immediately took to it and did it herself

One of my granddaughters refused to drink her own bottle until the day she gave it up completely.
She just liked being given it.
Try baby led weaning , wait until she is hungry, before her bottle and eat something in front of her and hand her some, once she gets a taste for it she won’t stop.

Start with something they like with incentive like cookies for a snack and build from there. What if you put the food and walked away? Might be the texture too, have you tried watermelon? Don’t be afraid to let the baby get dirty, take off cute clothes use older shirts or bibs and wipes for clean up.

Shes one…time and patience…

5 Likes

I have a nephew who will be three in Aug. Just a month or so ago he started feeding himself. His mom put the food right on the tray and when he was ready for the spoon he picked it up and ate with it

She’s 1… she still needs her mom’s help and that should be fine… don’t rush… before you know it you will miss those moments

If you food infront of you while holding her does she reach for it? How small are you cutting her food? I ask this because my ex used to cut things so small my babies couldn’t pick it up. They couldn’t chew it either. I had to teach my 3yo to feed herself (& chew) because he made it impossible for her to do it. She may not have the coordination for a spoon yet. Give her things she can fist like toast cut into “sticks” with a thing layer of puree on it, soft pretzels, frozen waffles cut into strips etc. Watch her closely to prevent choking. My last bit of advise is to sit her at her highchair WHILE the family eats. Put food on her tray. Babies like to mock others. If you’re feeding her seperate from the rest of you shes not seeing what eating looks like.

Shes 1!!! Give her time

4 Likes

She should at least be eating finger foods from she’s began weaning really. If your talking spoon and fork feeding then my daughter is 22 months and only getting the hang of that now

Talk to pedi. This was one of the first signs my son was autistic. Not saying she is but i would talk to pedi.

She’s a year old not 5… Y’all need stop expecting these babies to do so much they all learn an pick up on things differently at different times an ages.

1 Like

Yep that kid needs to learn so it’s time for her to move out and get a job…I swear these kids don’t wanna do nothing for themselves anymore :woozy_face::rofl:Are u kidding me she’s 1 she will do it when she’s ready , stop rushing these kids so y’all can brag to the next parent saying 'my kid does this and that and isn’t even 1 yet or whatever age …Stop comparing kids also cuz every kid is different and learns differently :woman_facepalming:t3:

1 Like

She’s only 1yo!! all baby’s are different and you shouldn’t be worried because she’s a 1 year old !

1 Like

All children are diffrent just keep encouraging her with finger food my daughter was 7m but at 22m she still prefers to eat with her hands despite being able to use cutlery and that’s okay going at her own pace but for all I know my son could be a little longer at catching on but as a mum it’s my job to ensure he’s fed regardless of how he eats it , patience is key x

put her food and drink in front of her and walk away. she will feed herself once she sees you won’t.

1 Like

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My 1 year old will not feed herself: Advice? - Mamas Uncut

She’s only one she’ll get there there. My sons the same he’ll eat Certain things but can’t hold spoon etc he’s only a baby I’m not worried I’m happy feeding him :slightly_smiling_face: as long as there eating x

4 Likes

At this age play is learning. Put whatever is her favorite food on that tray in high chair have or nothing down to a nappy and give her a spoon and let her play and learn. She’s probably going to get covered in food and allow it. When she’s in the bathtub give her a little plastic tea cups so she can deep water and drink it herself. These things take time and not every child learns exactly the same time. Just keep encouraging her.

1 Like

I still feed my almost 2 year old most of the time.

3 Likes

Mom of 7
I know this seems like something you should worry about, but it’s really not. Kids develop at their own pace. Some are just more stubborn than others. All my kids hit milestones at different times. Eating, sleeping, crawling, walking, talking, as so on. Just relax and she’ll get it in her own time.

5 Likes

She is only one… give it time

My 3 year old is still like this. She can feed herself, and will eat some things alone, but she just refuses most of the time. She prefers when we are feeding her. She’s definitely spoiled (whether that’s good or bad is your own opinion that I don’t need to hear) but I’m willing to do whatever she prefers as long as she’s eating

4 Likes

If you don’t feed her, let her sit awhile, you eat, see if she’ll then feed herself. Put her food in front of her and wait her out. She’s only 1, so this won’t last.

1 Like

You could try hand over hand, she might not realize that she can/is supposed to be doing it herself. Start slowly with one or two bites so she doesn’t become overwhelmed or frustrated.

2 Likes

She is only one :roll_eyes: stop trying to force her to do something she’s not developmentally ready for to make it easier for you

12 Likes

Mine was 2 and didn’t like to feed herself. She’s the youngest and wanted to still be treated like the baby. We just sat her down and talked to her. Told her that she’s a big girl now. If she can use the big girl potty(not sure if yours is potty trained) she can feed herself. It’s just about growing up and learning how to do things on her own. Now she’s little miss independent😂
I hope this helps! Just tell her she’s a big girl

My 15 month old just started holding her bottle to feed herself….not that she COULDN’T, because she’s more than capable…she simply didn’t want to. She decided on her own to start holding her bottle recently (within the last 3 weeks) and she doesn’t want me to feed her. She has also started hand feeding herself as well, where before I would do it. All babies are different. You cannot compare your baby to another baby. As long as you’re baby is thriving at their own speed, that’s all that matters. Your momma instincts will tell you if something isn’t right. Everything is based off of statistics, not specifically for each baby. She will be fine momma. Let her run her own race :heart:

My son who is now 14 and eats fine lol…he use to hate touching food with his hands he would get frustrated with utensils until he figured out how to make him hands work rt lol it was a texture thing he thought touching his first birthday cake with his hands was the most disgusting thing ever lol the pics are great!!!

I understand your concern. Our responsibilities as parents, I think especially a mama’s, can seem overwhelming. Your little one is still so young, only 1 year! I can assure you this is NOT a problem, at this time. Try to relax and let her advance at her own rate. Keep your expectations in check. You need to relax and don’t ever force issues with your kids, in my opinion. I wish you and your family the best. Good luck. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart:

Aww give it time. She knows you’ll do it so just give her the spoon and all the food. Let her play with it, touch it and just sit in eye view of her. Lots and lots of encouragement helps too

Do you put the spoon in the right or left hand?
Try a couple of times putting it in the opposite hand, and see what happens

1 Like

Only age 1?
Allow her to take her time!
As long as they know how by Preschool, all will be fine!

3 Likes

A little young …some kids also do not like getting messy

2 Likes

My daughter still likes being fed if I give in (she’s 4) and I think it’s normal lol I mean, have you been spoon fed or anything before? It’s nice being taken care of :sweat_smile: they’re right it’s not actually a development thing, at this age everything is about learning! She’ll get there :heart: if you really want maybe give her the spoon before you feed her yourself so she’s kinda hungry? Maybe she’ll play less and try to eat some but meals at that age were messy for a bit cause mine did better just using her hands. Her favorite was spaghetti :rofl:

Give it time! She will when she’s ready. There’s nothing wrong with encouraging it but don’t scold her for not doing it. All kids develop at different paces

She’s only 1. When she’s ready and hungry and you’re not feeding her she will feed herself. When she is ready. Relax. Doesn’t sound like anything at all to worry about.

3 Likes

Stop feeding her, let her do it as much as she can.
I worked with tons of littles (6wks-10yr), mainly with newborn to 18months. Theyll do it. If shes picking up other things she will pick up food. She shouldnt need spoon fed mush really anymore if youre doing eggs and such, theres plenty she can feed herself. Pancakes, waffles, fruits, veggies, crackers, pretty much anything you cook and eat.

1 Like

My daughter will be 3 in October, yes she can feed her self,and she does all the time,but she does tell me to feed her sometimes still. :rofl:

I fed my kids until they were 2 years old. They started to pick up food and feed themselves around 2.

3 Likes

She’s just one? Let her be a baby and feed her till she’s ready!

4 Likes

Could be a texture issue?

1 Like

If she were hungry and no one provided her the assistance she would adapt. It is established that she is capable. The rest is temperament and desire. It’s up to you to choose if you want to allow her the discomfort of adapting or go along with her desires until she chooses otherwise. The answer to this is more about what parenting style you are about. It’s a personal choice for you to make :relaxed:

14 Likes

My son was stealing food from his brothers at 10 months. Especially if he was in his walker he would scoot by and if he could reach it he ate it especially pizza.

Sit down with her and hand feed yourself only but have food in front of her so she can do the same as you.

4 Likes

She is just 1. Every kid has their own timelines on their development milestones. Please don’t rush. Enjoy this phase and let her become independent in her own pace!:raised_hands:t2:

5 Likes

Don’t feed her right off the bat, let her mess around at first until you see she isn’t eating anything and then feed her.

Uh she’s one you feed her

6 Likes

my son hated high chair he’s had toddle toddle and chairs since 12 months he loves it and feeds himself since

I have a 3 year old that doesn’t like to feed himself so I just do it. He feeds himself just fine when I’m not around. I guess he knows he’s got me wrapped around his finger. Oh well. It won’t last forever.

5 Likes

She’s literally 1. Stop trying to rush her development. And get growth.

8 Likes

If your not eating with her so she can see you eat, try that. My daughter wouldn’t eat alone.

5 Likes

My kid is 5 and still likes for me to feed her. Feed that baby. She’s not gonna go college unable to use a spoon

6 Likes

My 1.5 year old is similar. She’ll feed herself for a bit and then she’ll get lazy and want me to do it. Sometimes she won’t feed herself at all but will instead feed me while I feed her. :joy: Don’t stress about it! They’ll figure it out eventually :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I fed my granddaughter til she was like 2 yrs old, and she still a picky eater, keep feeding her until she’s ready to eat on her own.

She’s a little young.

She’s lazy lol. Don’t sweat it. Help and and show her how

I just got a huge yellow plate sliced up a banana Scrambled eggs or over easy eggs yogurt and let her eat it with her hands or with a spoon. Most times she would hold the spoon in one hand eat with the other. One time she took the over easy egg and ate some of it then got the rest and smeared it al over her face then put the plate on her head it made some funny pictures and a long bath after that. For her holding her bottle when she is not tired but wants a bottle lay her on her back put the bottle in her hands and she will hold it herself.

My son is 2 and is a lazy eater still some times lol.

Put her in her chair give her food and let her sit there till she is hungry enough to pick up her on food!!

1 Like

Put the food down on the tray and act like you forget something or you have to answer the phone. Fake talk into the phone in the other room or clean up a big “mess”. Act very distracted. Come back and say wow such a big girl!!! when she has been feeding herself.

1 Like

Put a few cheerios on her tray and watch her play and hopefully nibble them

1 Like

Mine did the same thing doc told me that he still uses me for feeding because it’s his bonding time with mama

1 Like

Lmao she’s one!!! Maybe stop rushing and give it time. The child is only one years old. It’s to be expected

1 Like

Maybe she just isn’t hungry.

My 3 year old has a feeding tube because he won’t eat in general. I didn’t expect any of my kids to feed them selves at one. It takes practice and time for them to catch on. My advice is stop trying to rush it. If she will eat it when you feed her then you have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Just put her in the high chair and put food on the tray. Eat with her and model what she’s supposed to be doing, over exaggeration will help. Thats what we did when we started BLW at 6 months. My daughter is 15 months now and always feeds herself. Just keep trying, she’ll figure it out

2 Likes

Leave her alone. Give her time . She will feed herself. I have three children , eight grandchildren and three great grandchildren. They all developed different skills at different times one never held her bottle, one walked at eight months and another at Thirteen.Be patient

6 Likes

Well they grow
So fast she’s only 1 give it time

She’s gonna figure it out eventually

Maybe it’s a sensory thing?

My son and my nephew just didn’t like to do finger foods when they were that age due to they didn’t like getting their hands messy. So maybe she just doesn’t like the touch. I was also told with the bottle they will figure it out

She is 1. It’s ok that you still feed her. She’s not lazy. She will figure it out when she wants too. Enjoy the time together before she wants nothing to do with you.

9 Likes

She’s one. Let her be a baby. Eventually she will be independent

3 Likes

None of my 4 kids fed themselves at one they played with there food instead lol

1 Like

Hahaha 1 years old lol
Enjoy being the parent !

1 Like

Put food on her tray and walk away and “do something”, or you can wait until she decides to, since yknow, shes only a year old.

2 Likes

Every child is different my 1 year old feeds himself hand and spoon but just cause mine does doesn’t mean ever child will

We put food in my neices hand and then we ate at the table with her highchair pulled up to the table. It didn’t take her long to figure it out when she was watching us. She actually prefers to use her finger instead of a spoon. She just turned 2. We just cut everything small enough for her to handle and she eats really well at her own pace.

Just enjoy feeding her for a little while longer. I miss feeding my baby his bottle. Once it’s gone it’s gone. Don’t rush it.

1 Like

I had one child who held her bottle earlier than one and my last baby out of four liked his older sisters feeding him till two. I did not rush but still kept with their intake. My grandchildren do squeezable and teething cookies. Be patient momma, she is gonna think she is smarter than you one day then the fun begins…:sparkling_heart::smiley:

Some are just lazy. I’m not trying 2 be rude in saying that either. If shes doing everything else by herself shes either being lazy in feeding or just doesnt understand she should be feeding herself give her more finger foods 2 start with. Mine are 16 months and barely feed themselves with a spoon but eat everything if they can eat with their hands. We started with rice rusk, baby puff, crunchies, etc. I still spoon feed them but they take it from me and try 2 feed themselves.

3 Likes

Geez shes only 1xywar old, stop acting like shes a 10 year old who should be doing things on her own.

2 Likes

She’ll do it when she’s ready.

7 Likes

Cut her food is strips as opposed to small pieces. Let her explore and eat at her own pace

2 Likes

Just be patient. The milestone expectations of these babies ( 1 is a baby!) Are unrealistic. Continue to introduce new things and I got my youngest to eat different foods by having a “cheers” before. It will be fine, don’t stress or rush the process. Every person (adult, child, baby) is different. :heart:

2 Likes

Yep… our daughter was just lazy when it came to eating. By age 2, she was feeding herself & the cleanest eater ever. She’s now almost 7 & doesn’t make messes with foods while eating (never has).

1 Like

My daughter didn’t start feeding herself till she was over a year old. She’s 2 and she does fine by herself but there are days she still wants me to do it 🤷
She’ll do it when she’s ready there’s no point getting worried about it especially if the Dr isn’t

Damn 1 year olds need to take care of themselves! The nerve! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

She’s a baby. She’ll get the hang of it eventually. Try starting with things easy to pick up and scatter a few in front of her and let her keep doing it. Babies learn and develop at different times

1 Like