My 12-year-old refuses to acknowledge she got her period: Advice?

Buy her period panties.Give her other options then the regular stuff we use for periods… have a talk with her pediatrician in that way maybe she understands better what is going on with her body.

I’d def thinking period panties , I wished they had them when I was young , my little cousin was so upset and bothered by starting she tried to ignore it ( her mom is awkward as well ) until she started flooding at school she used pads asap

Get her some pads and leave them in the bathroom I’m sure she will use them no tampons as she’s 12 years old

5 Likes

Her friends will be talking about their experience. That will do more than anything you say.

She is 2 young for tampons in my opinion just saying. And if she is hiding dirty underwear I’d b pissed off 2 cause that’s just nasty. She can wash her underwear out with soap and water and peroxide also. I dnt see a need for a dr. visit. We are all women and we all go threw the monthly not me tho. Thank God I had my fair share of the monthly periods. Good luck mom

Just remind her to take pads with her to school in a small zipper bag and always keep the bathroom stocked with all different types of pads, and wipes

1 Like

Maybe she is just shy. I had my period 3 years before my mom found out… I was scared for some reason. I knew about it, but I was scared and felt embarrassed. When she finally found out she took me to the store to pick out my own…which I swear it gave me anxiety. My grandma however, gave me a book about it. And a pack of pads. Took me a while to feel comfortable and “normal” lol.

1 Like

Get her books! Sometimes it’s easier to read about it alone. I was super modest and almost embarrassed about it even though I knew women got it. I read books my mom had the bathroom stocked with the things I needed etc. sometimes she would leave a notebook for any questions I had. She always promised she wouldn’t talk to me about it but instead write it down so I felt more comfortable:)

1 Like

She knows what is going on. She is acknowledging it , just not with you. Leave the basket in the bathroom and give her some space,

3 Likes

My daughter is the same way. She got her period when she was 11 and now 13 still refuses to talk about it. I have everything for her. But it’s a monthly struggle

1 Like

That sounds like my 13 year old daughter and so I just bought her pads

I have 3 girls and they were all touchy about it at first. My oldest told me right off but didn’t want papa or my fiance to know. I said fine. My younger 2 knew there was products on hand for the older so with my middle one I knew she was having it because the pads were disappearing quickly. Asked her about it and she adamantly denied it, then came and told me the next morning I was right and sorry for lying. My youngest girl just started and I just got a sheepish, mom can you wash my sheets? I said yes and saw her sheets and asked if she wanted to talk, she said no and I went and washed her sheets. I have had the conversations with them prior about their bodies changing, and they seem ok with it but not eager to advertise. I let each of them handle it their own way but just made sure they had everything available to them. Now they have no fear of walking up to my man or ex and telling them that they’re out of pads, etc. She will deal with it in her own time, just provide her with what she needs.

1 Like

I’d personally not make a big deal, this will push her away further. Just let her know that cold tap water rinses the blood right out then she can throw in the laundry without needing to worry of anyone knowing.
Have an array of products in a hidden spot ONLY you and her know about.
Gather some information that you could leave out for her to read while she’s alone about TSS etc so she’s able to educate herself.
Even though we as adults know it is normal, as a kid, you feel so strange, so abnormal.

Buy her the new self absorbent period panties or place pads in underwear in advance so when she has her period they are prepared to put on. Buy her new pairs for that purpose. You can also give her a private garbage can to dispose of them at home and make a “period” bag of supplies to keep in her locker or backpack.
Nowadays menstruation occurs before girls are mature enough to manage it on their own but helpful advice & tricks make it easier for them.

I’m gonna be blunt and say this is very odd behavior . I’d be more concerned that there’s possibly something going on that’s causing her to behave this way. I’d highly suggest a counselor. Are you sure it’s her period and not from an injury possibly at the hands of someone else??? This whole story makes me very uneasy. I’d be asking lots of questions

7 Likes

Just tell her to properly wash or dispose the underwear . Stock up the bathroom . Don’t make a big deal and ask her in the store what products she wants , what works , regular or super . Respect her privacy , eventually she will buy the stuff on her own .

Am I the only one that realizes she said her daughters been on her period for 4 straight months anyways id get her into the dr asap because having a period for 4 months straight isn’t a good sign please get her in and when you do have the dr talk to her about her changing body and maybe that’ll help

2 Likes

Does she have a best friend that has a period? Maybe talk to the best friends parents and see if maybe the best friend could help? Or maybe see if the best friends mom could help talk to her? I know I was way more comfortable with my best friends mom than my own, even though my mom also made sure periods and sex was an open topic in our house at all times.

Buy her the items she needs. Tell her they are there for her and give her a little advice on how to use them. Tell her that she can talk to you if she has questions. Then let her have time to process it her way. She doesn’t have to express to you that she has her period.

I just recommend not buying her tampons at this time if you don’t have open mutual communication, because incorrect usage or TSS could make her sick.

Adjust be honest with her tell her do you want one of your friends to come over and find some of your hidden bloody underwear every single person goes through this it is totally normal to feel a little bit shy about it it’s okay to not feel comfortable with everyone knowing but make it known that she needs to take care of it or others are going to notice.
I went to school with the girl who when she got her. She just absolutely reeked because she did not take care of herself and she was a plus size child.

Oh wow! Some of these comments are just plain mean! ‘Discipline her’, 'take her stuff away from her", ‘force her to talk about it’, ‘te her it’s or she’s nasty’, etc. All of those approaches will definitely alienate any young daughter in a most vulnerable and confusing time in their life.
I have never heard of ‘period panties’. I guess they didn’t exist when I first started my periods when I was 9 years old. I am 57 now. I do have an older sister who was very helpful and my mother was too.
Best advice I can give is be gentle and let her know that you are there for support and will attempt to answer any questions she may have but you do need to discuss proper hygiene. She may be hesitant but that part definitely needs to be discussed…gently but firmly. It’s just part of growing up. Good luck Mama!

9 Likes

Honestly I would get her period panties!! She might be scared of the school aspect of needing a pad or tampon. With the panties she should make it through the school day!

6 Likes

She’s been on her period for 4 months? Or do you mean she has had 4 periods and started her period 4 months ago?

I have 6 girls. You just need to explain to her the health necessity of wearing a pad and that it’s very natural for her to have a period. Explain the importance of care during her monthly and that you will provide her with pads and that she doesn’t have to ask or say anything to you till she is ready but that it’s important she uses pads for her monthly.

1 Like

I would put her goody basket in her room or a private place. Maybe that will help. It’s a silent, “I got you. I understand and I’m here.”

5 Likes

They actually make some pretty elegant “diapers”

I know it’s not ideal but they can ve called throw away panties.
Pregnant women use them.

That way she can just throw them away every day.

I get paid over $ 124 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 21669 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info… >> https://Buzzpay12.netlify.app

I was very embarrassed when I first started my period I would sneak pads without anyone knowing. And especially embarrassed when I would start and bleed on my underwear, she may just feel embarrassed about it. I would have a sit down with her again and let her know there’s nothing to be embarrassed about and sometimes it starts without her knowing but her period panties!

3 Likes

I didn’t talk to my mum about it at all because we didn’t talk about anything. Start small. Gain her trust and make sure she knows without pressure or judgement that you are there for her and give her practical advice on how to deal with the multitude of issues that come with periods. I would have loved that and the fact that you have asked shows how much you care. Your daughter is lucky. Baby steps.

She hears you mama. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Leave them out give her 411 on how to use them and let her know you love her and are there if she has any questions. don’t push her to talk you did what you could now let her come to you if she needs too.

Is there someone that she feels more comfortable with that could speak to her? I’d start there and maybe buy her some period panties. They’re a game changer. Best of luck

I gave my daughters nappy bags to put the used ones in so that they were not embraced that their dad would see them and just put the pads in their bed room

1 Like

Has she been exposed to someone in her life you are possibly unaware of.

5 Likes

I kept it from my mom for ages bc she just made me feel uncomfortable in so many ways. Not saying you are like my mother Lol just saying I relate to keeping it to myself. I am super modest and closed off too. Wish I had some advice.

1 Like

Period panties might be the best way for now try to give her time let her know your there to answer any questions she might have you can get her a book about her changes and a diary to get out her thoughts if she’s to embarrassed to talk to you get her all the things I wouldn’t get tampons though but even washable pads on Amazon they have fun prints and period panties 

1 Like

Get her period panties like thinx or similar brands so she can feel “normal”…especially at school.

Ahh I would just buy her a pack every month and set it on her bed put a note attached how to use pads when to change just list each item and how to use maybe add and candy bar and some ibuprofen the single packs for a day with “instructions “!! The ones in first aid kids with just two in to and if she needs more just put them up and have her write down when she takes on a sheet and how long she has to wait to take another every 6/8 hours :ok_hand:t2::disappointed::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: my daughter is 9!! And getting ready to start she’s not as closed off thank god but maybe just do the basket idea a care package with instructions on each item for her that way she’s up today and not embarrassed

1 Like

Load the bathroom with everything she needs

1 Like

Get her flushable wipes let her keep pads and a trash can in her room if she feels more comfortable in there than in the family bathroom where everyone can see her personal belongings. My daughter hasn’t started but all my kids know about a period I work in the health field so I have always encouraged them to talk and they do and it’s a blessing in its self. And this is a faze cause more moms are having this issue and not properly wrapping and throwing them away so don’t be discouraged. I’m waiting my oldest is 12

Get her a box of everything she will need. Pads tampons black knickers. Get her a bin with a lid on in the bathroom and her room and her own wash bag in her room. Teach her to do her own washing so she’s more comfortable. Also a mattress protector.
Just buy the products every month and put them in her room. If she doesn’t want to talk about it she may use and not say

1 Like

Are you sure it’s her period? This is odd behavior for a period. Is there something else she isn’t telling you?

10 Likes

I made my daughter a basket of snacks each month as a way to ‘celebrate’ her growing up. Sat it on her night stand around the time I calculated she should have it until she was comfortable enough to talk to me about it. Then we just kept it discreet each month until she was reached the point of just coming out and telling me.

Have you talked to her at all about what her body is doing and does she know her anatomy and what it means to get one ? There needs to be more conversations so she feels comfortable talking to you. If she is shutting down and won’t open up there’s something going on that you need to get to the bottom of.

Maybe have a doctor see her and go through all this with her, maybe she just needs a medical professional to talk to her instead of Mom

2 Likes

My child did the same thing. Esabella shut completely down. And hid it until I found proof. Just keep talking to her and take her to her doctor. She’ll come around to talking. They are just embarrassed

What about period pants ? Xx

I didn’t tell my mom either. She was complete opposite. She was much older (in high school when she started) and I was a girl (11 yrs old) And would “sneak” into my parents bathroom and take her pads. I didn’t know how to use or what a tampon was at the time… in elementary school, they don’t (or didn’t at the time) talk about puberty. Once she noticed her pads being used up, she of course bought more, all different sizes and put them in sight for me. Not on the counter or in the hallway or anything… But my bathroom was cleaned up and I noticed there was a wicker basket full of pads under my sink. We didn’t talk about it. It just happened.

She’s going to eventually grow out of it unfortunately if she isn’t comfortable talking with you she won’t until she’s ready cant force it maybe someone else?

I was eight, yes, 8 years old. I never told my mother. She accused me a few months later but I would never admit it to her. I’m 62 years old and never did talk to my mother about such things.
I was an abused child and fiercely guarded my privacy.
Books would have been great. I read every word on everything I could find, but there was no way I would have discussed it with anyone. Give her the respect of allowing her to own her own body and don’t force her to talk to you about it.

4 Likes

Maybe buy her period panties? Or leave her supplies in her room. If your bathroom doesn’t have a lid on the trash can maybe get one that does, so the used items are hidden. Maybe a makeup bag to keep some in her backpack.

My mom tracked mine for me at that age and would remind me it was coming

2 Likes

I’d also buy her some period panties.

1 Like

If you’re already open about it like youve mentioned then it’s going to mainly be about her having the time to accept it herself. I think the basket is good, maybe leave stuff in her closet or room for her instead and maybe a trash can in there for now? She may feel more comfortable in her room regardless rather than the bathroom. And maybe just bring up the idea (or just do it as a surprise kinda) and hide chocolates in her drawer? I know it sounds stupid but if she’s having a moment where she’s on her period and not talking about it still and hiding in her room and she’s crying (cause we all know how periods are :sob:) and she wants to change and hide underwear again she will find chocolates in her drawer and be happy again in the moment !:joy: and I agree with others get the period pants and set of underwear (black) she can use when it’s that time of month too

My daughter refused to talk about it all before she got hers. I was trying to prepare her and show her how to use the products but she would always yell GROSS! and run to her room. When she did get it, it freaked her out and she came running to me, scared she was dying. If your daughter doesn’t feel comfortable talking to you about it, maybe there is an older sister or cousin that could try to talk to her? I would definitely make her a care pack, stock it with period panties, pads, ibuprofen, and her fav snacks. Send her some YouTube videos on what periods are and how to use the products. There are a few YouTubers who make videos for girls her age that talk about everything from periods to makeup to relationships. I got mine at 10 and my mom never prepared me. Maybe after a couple of months, she’ll open up to you.

Are you sure it’s period blood… Not trying to be crude but losing her virginity leaves blood behind too . Just saying
If it is her period. Buy some pads and leave them by her bed. Tampons aren’t really recommended for first periods.

She’s probably just embarrassed. Just do a period basket and leave it in her bathroom or bedroom or closet. Include anything and everything she may need or use

1 Like

Give her a talk. Regaurdless she wants to talk. Let her listen

1 Like

Did you just find bloody panties one time? Maybe it wasn’t her period. I would definitely try to get the facts before assuming it is her period. I get not wanting to talk about it, but to not even acknowledge it seems strange to me and raises a red flag.

11 Likes

It’s a rough and confusing time. Don’t ‘make her’ do anything. She’ll figure it out and hopefully talk to you when she’s ready.

buy her the products and an age appropriate book and a simple note that if she has any questions she can come to you and ask

1 Like

Get her a period care kit with like period panties different pads and pantiliners, Midol and snacks. get a notebook and write her a note in the notebook that this is a private notebook for y’all to talk about things that may be embarrassing to talk about face-to-face. Tell her that you will read it while she is not around so she won’t feel embarrassed about it and just keep open communication. It’s ingrained from society for young women to be embarrassed and feel like they have to hide these things. I’m fairly positive that eventually she’ll start noticing at school that she needs pads or it will be fairly obvious depending on what she wears. It really sounds like this is embarrassing and hard for her to grasp and she just needs open communication to get through it. answer any questions and keep any and all reactions to a minimum if you can.

5 Likes

I.was the same just buy the stuff and leave it alone

1 Like

If she is that modest, you would think she wouldn’t want the blood leaking onto her clothes where everyone will know she is on her period. Explain that it is also better for her to have something for the blood to go onto other than having it all over her. Not to mention, that’s not very hygienic. Be supportive and tell her, I know it’s hard to grow up and I understand your body is going through changes but it’s going to happen. We can’t stop the process but maybe we can make it easier. Take her shopping for a period kit. Let her choose a cute bag (cosmetic type) for her to put her supplies in. Take her out for a meal at a nice restaurant as sort of a coming of age treat. Anything you can do to make her more comfortable with the idea that it’s not going to just stop. Hope things work out. :pray:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3::pray:t3:

3 Likes

My kiddo hasnt started hers yet (shes about to turn 10) so I know its a littler early. However, I will be making her a little care package type thing… With all the necessities she needs, plus a stuffie and a journal. So everything she needs is there just in case she doesnt want to talk to me but she still has what she needs and can journal if she feels she wants too… (shes been big in journalling since she was little and I never look in them)

1 Like

Maybe just keep doing the basket for her. It may help if you just put it in her room. That way she doesn’t feel as if everyone knows now. As she sees that you are working with her to help her over come the fear she has in this. She will start to open up more an more.

4 Likes

Something I’ve done for all my girls is I make a period box! You can put some helpful info you print off for her, pads, panties, midol, feminine wash, chocolate :chocolate_bar: :yum: my daughter madalynn did not tell me when she started because she was so shy and embarrassed about it. Just make sure you let her know that you are a judgment free zone and that she can ask if she needs help with something. My daughter is very very reserved so she wouldn’t even ask me when she needed new pads so I told her to write me a little note and I’d write her back it worked so well. Now she just texts me when she’s out or has a question.

8 Likes

Tell her where the pads are and how to wash her undies and let it go. She’s private so mention it to her doctor and nurse and maybe they can approach it in a professional manner

I would take her to her pediatrician and let them ask her about it in private. Maybe they can have a better conversation.

2 Likes

I didn’t tell my moM either, then again I wasn’t close to her,

4 Likes

This happened to me when I was 11. I had my period for 3 months straight and refused to tell anyone because I was so grossed out by it, I was ashamed, I was embarrassed and I just didn’t like talking about it. I honestly still don’t know why I felt that way or didn’t tell anyone. Until my dad and step mother kept finding my dirty panties and confronted me, I finally told them. I bawled my eyes out when they found out too, again- not sure why… but thank God they did find out bc after taking me to a gynecologist, we found out I had hypoinsulinemia- where my body didnt produce enough insulin. The opposite of diabetes. I needed medication and birth control to regulate my periods for about 3 years after that. And they’re still not exactly regulated… Maybe since there is texting now, maybe just text her and ask about it instead of confronting her in person. I know that would have been less awkward for me… and tell her there is nothing to be embarrassed about, and that it could possibly be a serious medical issue that needs taken care of asap, and that you want to help her with this issue and get her the correct meds, that you’re not just embarrassing her or calling her out… Good luck.

2 Likes

My daughters (twins) were 11 when they started, within a few months of one another. I’ve always been very open, very honest and very blunt with them about stuff like this, so I didn’t have to go through what you’re going through with your daughter. I am a little worried about when my almost 9 year old gets to that point. I was 8 on a school day when I started and staying with my grandparents. There had been no previous conversations about it. My grandmother refused to acknowledge it, insisting I had fallen off of my bike or hurt myself in some way. It made for a very awkward situation.

I would suggest supplying her with everything she needs, and don’t push the subject. She will come to you with questions. Put an app on your phone that keeps track of her cycle and gently remind her to keep up with her personal hygiene during that time.

5 Likes

My daughter is 13 and still hasn’t gotten hers, but a friend of hers got hers this week, and she trusts her friend’s false information about periods more than info from me, because her friend is on it right now, versus me who’s had mine for twenty years. Lol

3 Likes

I get paid over $ 130 per hour w0rking from home. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 16249 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is limitless.
M0re Info. ===> https://incomeworkz132.netlify.app/

1 Like

If she doesn’t want to talk to you, maybe have her talk to her pediatrician. Honestly, it may not have even been her period because if she hasn’t purchased pads or used yours, I would think that it would be more than one pair of bloody undies. If by some chance it wasn’t her period, you can still go out and buy products to prepare her. I had my first period at 10 so I made sure I had the period talk with my daughter at 9. I also purchased pads small enough to fit her and made sure she had at least one in her backpack just in case it happened in school.

1 Like

Have the doctor talk to her

To her it’s not a big deal. Don’t make it one. Put stuff in her bathroom. Leave ot alone. She needs privacy

3 Likes

My daughter started her period at 9, it was insane but I never hid anything as you did with your daughter… Buy her products and leave them in her room or in the bathroom for her to use.

Edit: I never hid anything from my daughter as you never hid anything from your daughter.

2 Likes

My granddaughter was the same way. Very modest,embarrassed and in denial even though we have always discussed and spoken frankly about it. I did just get her a variety of items including hygiene wipes, rice packs for cramps and chocolate. She still doesn’t like to talk about it but she will now discretely add items to my cart when we are shopping and I feel like that is good enough👍

3 Likes

Maybe let her know when you’re on yours. Tell her you need ice cream and watch a girl movie with her. Normalize it, go to target to get comfy clothes and she can pick stuff out too for when it’s her turn. Make it sweet and fun and use this opportunity to bind with her. Best of luck mama :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Buy products and put them in her room, a heating pad for cramps and tell her she can have tylenol when she needs it. She will talk to you when she’s ready.

2 Likes

Get a notebook and add It to your basket. Write in it and let her know she can write any questions and you’ll respond in the notebook. That way nothing has to be said face to face. If she’s closed off and shy this may open a safe line of communication for her.

15 Likes

Did they quit showing those films in school…:thinking:

2 Likes

My thought to, You also bleed from losing the virginity.I would talk to a doctor for sure my daughter came to me and showed me she did not know she thought she was dying.lol

3 Likes

My kid watched big mouth…nd she said it was better to learn it frm that show…than awkwardly coming frm me…lol

4 Likes

For those who are saying to bring her to the doctor and let a professional talk to her about it I can tell you that It will probably be worse and mortifying. If this were My child, and I do have a daughter the exact same age, I would just write her a note. Something simple and not embarrassing. Just say that you’re here if she wants to ask you anything but she doesn’t have to. Print out some instructions on how to use pads and what a normal period cycle is like and how to dispose of everything. Make sure she knows not to flush the products that would be inexpensive mistake. And give her a little trash can and trash bag in her bedroom. Then by like 3 months worth of supplies and put it all together with the note. I would throw in some treats just to make it less clinical. This way she gets all the information and she never has to face you about it. I’m 37 and I’ve had two children and a hysterectomy and I still never told my mother I had my period. I know she didn’t mean it but I remember everyone in my family like mocking me and teasing me and embarrassing me because I was the oldest kid in the first to start puberty. My mom was not kind and private she openly said a whole bunch of things that made me feel so ashamed. And so I never had that discussion with her and I outright denied things as well because my family was handling it very badly.
Also in the note, I would tell her to pack an extra pair of leggings and underwear and a couple of pads to keep in her locker. If she wants to keep them in a way that is less noticeable she can put them in a pencil case. Good luck

I was 11 when I got mine and in school on the bottom floor of a 4 story building and I had to go to floor 3, to make everything worse I was wearing white pants. I was made fun of, kids kept saying the red river, and I had no idea what they were talking about. I got to my locker and that’s when I noticed, I had to go a teacher that I was scared of he was a little to touchy feely, but he was very understanding and nice about it. In the nurses office I unfortunately had to call my dad because my mom couldn’t leave work, this was in 1988 so companies didn’t allow people to leave for things like this.
My dad brought me clothes, and asked if I wanted to go home, I stayed in school. My mom never told me about my period or sex. I had no idea what was happening to me. Back then it was a hush hush situation.
I would honestly just let her be, the more you push the more closed off she might get. I would just put a little basket in the bathroom with pads and tampons with a note in the basket telling her what each item is and how to use it and that she can come to you anytime when she is ready.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

I didn’t like tlking abt it. Just let her be.

Make her a pretty basket of feminine products,maybe some period underwear,and maybe a book written by someone that can reach
her on her peer level.It is important that she understands the process of why this is happening and that she always have the necessities at her disposal.

3 Likes

it could be that shes the first of her friends and feels weird and alone about it. If she doesnt have anyone her age already experiencing it, it could be causing these feelings. I say give her the space she needs. The basket of toiletries was a great idea. Maybe a little treat basket of chocolate and comfort stuff too you think she would enjoy. Shes adjusting to her new norm. She will be fine. I have all boys so its weird knowing this wont be a thing in my house lol. Instead im being asked "why do you wear diapers like [my youngest] does?

4 Likes

My was the only one who started in her elementary Lots of fear others will tell

Make sure she washes her panties - that should do it.

5 Likes

Become the period fairy in private, make a small bag for her with the products she will need and she can discretly carry it in her backpack, just buy products you think she would use. My 13 year old likes the always infinity flex foam pads, they are pricey but its what works, so I try and always get a box every two or three times we go to the store. When I was young, I didnt know what my period was and was scared to tell my mom, I thought I was bleeding because of the molestation I was experiencing, I went 3 days bleeding all over myself. And then when my mom found out I started, she cried and locked herself in her room, like gosh thanks Mom. And maybe talk to her about the the hygenic issues, and maybe get her a draw string bag for her closet that she can put her dirty undies in it. Oh, I make sure my girls have period panties and regular panties. Sorry its all over the place. And if she is bleeding the whole 2 to 3 months, she needs to see her doctor, that is not a good sign.

1 Like

I would just make sure she has what she needs and try to keep it stocked for her. I know it’s an embarrassing time for a young lady. I think I would still try to at least have a talk about the basics just to make sure she knows how to use, when to change, if there’s pain you can help and then just let her know you’re there for her if she needs anything. Just wouldn’t want her going out and something embarrassing to happen to her.
Maybe take her shopping for a little purse or bag that she likes and can carry her extra things in. Also, I had an Aunt that I was super close with and even though my mom and I were close it was just less awkward with my aunt. Is there another female on her life that you trust and she is comfortable with? Just some ideas. Good Luck to her and to you, Momma!

1 Like

I did the same with my mom :frowning: my daughter is 12 and I’m hoping she’ll open up to me…my mom just kept buying the products for me and left them in the bathroom

I don’t have advice but it seems she’s uncomfortable with the topic so I would still buy her the essentials and leave them in a basket for her. That’s a great idea.

4 Likes

Put the products in her room in a draw and just keep topping them up…sounds like shes very shy about it and dont want no one knowing about it…embarrassed about it…bless her…just let her know it’s in her room in a draw just let her know she needs to wash more and change…and leave it be…love her.

2 Likes

Stock the bathroom she uses with different products: light pads, heavy pads, overnight pads, small plastic bags to put her used pads in. Please include pain medications. Buy her new panties from time to time. Don’t make a big deal about that, either. Say nothing more. When she feels comfortable, she will reach out. Try to keep track of her period so that you can understand when hormonal days might be present. Never, ever, say she’s hormonal or that her mood must be associated with her period. If she has not seen her pediatrician for a while, please make an appointment for an annual checkup. Speak to the nurse a head of time and explain why you are bringing her. Ask that this information be shared with the doctor. If you can give your daughter her space, let the doctor have one on one time (with a chaperon from the doctor’s office, of course) discussion with your daughter. The doctor (female please!!!) May have a booklet for your daughter. If there is a charge - buy it.

Hopefully you have explained fertility and how that process occurs.

My mom made a huge deal about mine. It was a miserable time. Don’t make this a miserable time for your daughter.

Your daughter will be changing in other ways during this time due to hormones. Take her for bras, if you have not done so already. She may need new pants and skirts if she develops hips. Same for tops.

Be kind. Be compassionate.

2 Likes

Go to your local library and check out “Are you there God, it’s me Margaret” and have her read it. It’s a great coming of age story. I wouldn’t push using tampons on her yet but make sure she has some good pads. Most importantly reassure her that it’s not something bad or to be ashamed of.

2 Likes

Buy her some good ( Always) pads number 3 or 4. To protect her from embarrassment does she have an older sister or close aunt That could talk to her about it may be a grandmother she might be a little insecure

1 Like