My 13 year old is addicted to video games: What can I do?

You might wanna show your son who’s boss. While his gone get rid of his video games. When and if he comes back dont back down from him. He knows he has it over you, stop being scared of your son and stand your ground.

He will probably need counselling as well. Good luck, you got this

5 Likes

I had the same problem, his dad didn’t believe in kids having chores and wouldn’t stand with me on it. So 6’ 330lbs at 15 years old I gave him to his dad so he can live with what he created. The last F U from him was the deciding factor

1 Like

Get rid of all his stuff

1 Like

Turn off his wifi. Send him to live with his father.

2 Likes

Definitely take him to see a therapist because there’s something wrong with him to get mad over a video game

3 Likes

Your the mother take control or you will regret it even more. Get rid of it and if he becomes violent call police. Period.

6 Likes

#1. Anger management for him and family counseling for all of you. He’s being a bully. #2. Take the tv, game console and all games out of the bedroom. Electronics should not be in a bedroom of children. #3. Set the tv console and games up in a common space, and limit his playing time, when he earns it back. If he throws tantrums, gets angry, screams, gets violent. Take them away, again. #4. It is NOT HIS room. He’s not paying the bills, and his name is not on mortgage or lease. He gets to use the room, on your conditions, PERIOD. In order to play games, he needs to participate in the household work, mowing, trash removal, recycling, laundry and dishes. Time to learn to earn his free time. And I bet you any anger management and family counselor will recommend EXACTLY these steps.

Get rid of his video games, he no longer has any right to them unless he purchases them. Make him do chores.

3 Likes

First of all, how did those video games get into the house? Who is the supplier?

1 Like

I understand exactly what u mean. Your only option is to throw it away when he is out. He will have one massive meltdown when he finds out but it wont be daily meltdowns. Do it asap

4 Likes

Nope he would come home to a bed and his clothes that’s it …I raised 2 boys very big boys and they knew from day 1 DO NOT PLAY WITH ME I will take you down to my level real quick kids these days have no respect for any adults time to step it up…

Therapist and take out the WiFi

1 Like

And omg wow your 13 yesr old is 6ft :scream: thats huge i wonder how tall he will be

Kicking him out of the house will not help your relationship at all

1 Like

Ok this is an addiction ok? He needs to see a therapist now! No fun and games here. What mother puts up with being yelled at is beyond me, especially by your own son. He needs help get it now

2 Likes

Mail the video unit to fathers house turn off Wi-Fi seek addiction conciling

1 Like

That game system would be busted into a million pieces problem solved.

1 Like

This whole thing is YOUR fault. Who cares how tall your son is?? My son is 6’4 and he wouldn’t dare talk to me like that. Your son is acting out because you refuse to take charge and discipline him. You should’ve thrown his video games in the trash the first time he acted out like that. Your son doesn’t need therapy or a psych evaluation like everyone else is suggesting. He needs a parent who takes charge. How can you be scared of your own child??

turn the wifi off after a warning if it doesn’t stop take the game console and TV out of his room

get rid of the video game

He knows your not gonna “make” him do anything that’s why he acts like that! I’d nip that in the bud asap!

7 Likes

Go get professional help

Does he have adhd? And does he have o.d.d . Cause my daughter has these rages and the odd makes it even worse.

Take the game systems away its gonna be hard but if u dont try to put a stop to him now no telling how things may end up

1 Like

Shut down internet only have set times when times up off it goes

3 Likes

You have to just TAKE the video games away amd say no more. You clearly can’t handle them do you can have them. Have him earn wifi time or get time a week later. Like 30 minute game tickets for A full day of good behavior ect.

Health camp if there’s one around your ways I had the same experience and health camp did the trick it’s a 8 week course where he stays there

The video games need to disappear from the home. I also 2nd that he needs to see a therapist and a psychologist in case its more. Dont give into the child no matter his size, stand your ground and STOP playing the ill send you to your fathers game. I have a son who isn’t as tall as yours but got just as angry and violent when told NO or told to do something he didn’t want to do. Stop giving in, he is the child, you are the parent.

Take the game system away! Who’s the Parent?

6 Likes

Take it all out completely and bring him to get coping skills.

I took a hammer to my kids game system in front of him so he knew I meant business… it fixed the problem

My son was 6’4" and 260lbs. Give your address and I’ll come help! Little bastard needs a job on a local farm!

:rotating_light:I actually just listened to a podcast about this earlier.
You have to understand children still don’t have full control over their emotions (even children as tall as yours).
Our kids have gotten into the knowledge since they were little that if they scream and cry that their parents will cave and let them do what they want.
You have to set boundaries with your son.
If and when he gets upset you should stand there and tell him something along the lines of “I will not tolerate you talking or screaming at me, we can continue the conversation in a little bit. I’m going to give you a few to calm down” turn then walk away.
My personal opinion would be after you have that Convo, go turn the breaker to his room off. Then when he comes to ask about it, tell him if he cannot help but scream and rage at the game then the consequences are to lose his gaming privileges for a certain time. If he gets upset again, walk away.
Repetition is the only way for kids to understand and comprehend. They won’t get it right away and it will still happen. You have to set the consequences and be firm with the time for those consequences.:rotating_light:
This DOES NOT MEAN scream or yell or hit him because our kids learn that quicker than anything

Throw the game station out. It’s unfair to the other kids but at least it solves that problem. Then he will be forced to not be a hermit.

2 Likes

Counseling and/or boot camp

Cut the wifi. Change the password. Take his electronics. Cold turkey reality check.

Get a chair, 6ft or not you better let him know real quick mama dont play.

5 Likes

It’s called throw the games and game system in the trash… if he acts crazy call the police and have him admitted. There is no way I’d ever let my kids know I’m afraid of them and that’s the first problem… he knows you’re afraid of him and won’t make him do anything. You’re the boss not him… if that doesn’t work then whoop his ass with a belt :woman_shrugging:t2: he gon learn today

You’re doing the right thing as he will only get worse if he’s intimidating you already, don’t be too hard on yourself if he’s safe and his dad is okay with it then leave him there until he learns to abide by your rules, you’ve sent him to his parent not a home don’t stress, i had to do same with my daughter last Yr and she’s only 10, it broke my heart but she had to learn I was in charge here and if she doesn’t like my rules live with dad needless to say she was back within a few weeks and I’m back in control, lots of boys that age need the father discipline don’t feel bad you’re not in the wrong

Hes addicted. He needs therapy. And you’re the mom. Take away the internet. Take the door off the hinges and stand your ground. Nothing is given, it’s earned. Guessing he has a cell phone you pay for too. Take it all away. Make him earn his stuff. Size doesn’t matter. This is a respect thing. You allow your son at 13 to yell at you and disrespect you at this age??? You are in for on hell of a ride later that involves police.

It’s an addiction like any other addiction. He is showing all the classic signs of an addiction. Try finding a children’s therapist that specializes in addiction therapy. Taking his gaming system permanently away will only cause distrust and a rift. But a therapist can help ur family set rules. He needs to earn time with the gaming system. It will be a struggle of sorts, but with guidance from the therapist, and time, you all can make it work. I would find a therapist asap. Follow their suggestions and stand firm with your son. I wish you luck.

1 Like

Size does not matter be a parent

3 Likes

My son has done this as well… the rage initially. Once you take it and stay firm after about 2 days, they do a 180 and is like omg I’m so sorry. Stay consistent and firm

I’d take the video games out of his room so you can monitor how much he’s on them. He’s only 13, whether he’s 7 feet or 4 feet, your the parent.

Remove the gaming consoles from your home! Turn off the wifi! Seriously who is the parent!!!

5 Likes

Take the game away!! Don’t give it back either

1 Like

My 11 year old did this. We are on 8 weeks of no electronics or any fun till there is improvement. My son put his hands on me out of anger and he got a taste of what it is like to go against an adult. He didn’t get hurt but he definitely got a couple smacks. I shut it down.

1 Like

Do. Something. Now. Take it away ! Do you want him to be living in your basement when he’s an adult? Why are video games any different from any other addition. If he was on drugs you would get him help right?

1 Like

The biological father needs to get involved and help you turn him around.

As a mother of 3 boys, it is imperative that boys have a strong father figure to rein them in. They start the defiant behavior around 12-13, sometimes 11. He needs his father to show him how to be a man. Plus, video games need to be removed.

2 Likes

Golf teach him to Golf. It will help him weigh and measure a situation before he responds. Golf lessons for the Summer, a concert he wants to see, take him, a baseball game let him bring a friend along. Teach him how to engage.

3 Likes

My kid is 12 and 5’8 & I can totally understand the video game part as well except I do not let him overrun me and I have taken his video game away until he started functioning around the house calmly which included being nice to his sister. You’ve got to remember you are the parent & he is the kid. If you send him every time he is acting like that then it’s still not going to help. You’ve got to put your foot down on him & discipline him. He’s only 13 which means 5 more years and he’ll be 18…do you want him to get worse with the attitude as he grows?

Take it out of the house… It’s just a free babysitter !

Sorry your going threw this but he’s gotta learn rules of the house and don’t let him come back unless he knows and agrees or it will only get worse.he’s setting an example for the other kids and I’m sure you don’t wanna keep going threw this do you …he needs a man figure seems cause he has no respect for you at all.if it we’re my child he wouldn’t get that game back until he learns rules .I believe he already knows your scared of him and that’s really bad …he’s lucky he has you cause I would have done beat his behind and broke the game system

My son is 10 and I the same. When we say get of and he doesn’t we take it and give it back when we think he deserves it and explain why he doesn’t have it. If you dont get on top of it now it will only get worse

1 Like

You can be the mom or you can raise a delinquent. Believe it or not, you have the control.

5 Likes

Level the playing field, a ball bat around the punk’s knees will bring him down to size.

2 Likes

My grandson was the same way the only thing was counseling and he went to camp to help him learn how to cope to see how what he was doing was affecting him and the rest of us in the house we had to work together as a family to help all of us he was at camp for one and a half years he was there for 5 weeks he would come home foe 5 days he was given goals to work on while he was home and we had to work on goals that I wanted accomplished while he was here he was taking 8 different pills a day when he came home he was taking 3 we were able to talk and function more like a family when he came home there were a lot of boys at that camp for the same issues those boys learned to work together and to work through their issues together it was one of the best places for him to be a year later his brother went the guy’s that worked with them were great

Everyone who says who’s the parent has no idea what it’s like to deal with a behavioral child who is bigger than you, violent and on top of that a single mother. I have professional help- above and beyond. Even have called the police numerous times. It’s not as easy as you all think unless you have dealt with a child like this first hand without a father figure. Good luck to you. I wish I had the answers for you.

9 Likes

Find out why he is quick to anger and give him the tools to figure this shit storm called life cause we have all been angry teens at some stage

4 Likes

First off I’d take it out of his room……… hook it up in the living room or something and only give him so many hours a week to play. If he acts up then he doesn’t get it all. You need to remind him that just because he’s bigger than you, you brought him into this world and you can take him out! Stand your ground! Or it WILL get worse.

4 Likes

Take the video games away while he’s gone.

3 Likes

I would remove the games and consoles out of the house. No wifi if possible.
Period. He will have to earn his games back and time to play. Once he can be respectful
Bring order back into your home. I can only imagine how you and your family feel.

No games period at the house !

3 Likes

Take the video games console away and if he has a phone take that too, get his father on board for a united front & his stepfather. Possibly arrange some counselling too if he rages it might be necessary & if that fails maybe send him to a boot camp for boys, I’ve seen some documentaries that have show excellent results for this very sort of thing. Hope all goes well for you all, don’t give up.

1 Like

Set up a schedule, give him responsibilities and have a contract to earn game time. If his behaviors are that out of control then I would look to get him into counseling. Might be a reason for that anger and he needs to learn coping skills.

Find something he likes more. Or turn it to something more productive like coding. A lot of gamers find themselves just as absorbed building games as playing, and it teaches technology. The teen years are rough. And the desire to punish with every rebellion and act of defiance is strong. But one phrase kept me sane and on track with my teen, was to try to be the parent they need, not the parent they deserve. I hope it helps you solve the root problems, and you find peace in your home again.

Fact y’all allow YOUR child To run the house hold says A lot… So stead of buyin them EVERY THJNG THEY want Start by instilling discipline in them… next thing you kno she on Dr.Phil Cause the kid runs the house hold… This behavior right here is The reason Why parents SHOULD BE ABLE TO DISCIPLINE WITHOUT HAVIN DHS CALLED… STOP BEING FRIEND WITH THEM.

6 Likes

Take the power cord…they usually detach from the back.

5 Likes

Doesn’t matter how big your child is compared to you, HE IS A CHILD! YOU ARE IN CHARGE NOT HIM!! Take it away hide it for a while until he starts having a better attitude and doing more things then sitting in front of the game. I had to with my 14 yo son once he had a attitude change we sat down together and worked out a schedule where he has a specific time frame during the day he can play his game. If your worried about him lashing out at you, you could alway call police and they can make it clear he’s not allowed to be violent towards you if that’s what your afraid of. I know it’s not ideal or something any parent wants to do,but again your in charge and you need to do whatever it takes to make that clear to him! Good luck

No more video games🤷‍♀️

3 Likes

If he is making the environment unsafe and scary to others in the home, for any reason, especially over video games…
Take them away, period.
Call the police if you need to in order to set him straight.
I don’t know how parents put up with this type of stuff.
Or why.
Unacceptable! Your other other children feel threatened because big boy wants to throw a tantrum because he isn’t getting his way, you’ve got a serious problem on your hands.
I would never stand for this.

6 Likes

Take away the video games and get him into sports. Have him live with his dad for awhile. Usually a strong male figure changes the course of the situation

1 Like

Kick him out or do chores either that if not work then get help before tooooooooo LATE or else …or best getting fuckin job

2 Likes

His addiction to video games clearly has made for an unsafe environment. For the sake of everyone in the home, especially your younger children, take the games out of the home entirely.
It is completely unfair to the younger kids that they have to live in an environment like this. I feel sad for those kids.

3 Likes

Take all electronics away. I have a 12 year old and he tried an attitude…didnt last long. Or you can leave the electronics and shut power off to their room

1 Like

Yes a difficult age, He’s doing this because he KNOWS you will do nothing, he’s learned this behavior, I would say it’s time for him to live with his dad, tell him his behavior isn’t acceptable and for now he will spend the next school year with his dad and if dad lives close by even if it’s within a two hour drive you need to get into family counseling, the rest of your family should not live in fear, he doesn’t fear you, I have two grown sons and I raised them basically alone their father was serving in the military and gone a great deal of time, my boys feared me, they suffered the consequences of their behavior, they tower way over me, they also respected me, things your son has yet to learn, let him live with his dad, telling him you love him but won’t allow his behavior. Stand strong.

The bigger issue is that his age & size are a factor, there should never be a because you’re smaller than your kid, you’re afraid or they won’t listen. But most games are wifi, change the password, you pay the cell, stop paying it, take the cords. Yes telling them to stop should work, but if not, you use that adult brain & fix it. And there should NEVER be a time where your child thinks their size changes how they act with their mom or any woman. Because the I can’t make him do anything is sounding like your only thought is it’ll get done by you using brute force, which is also not a good thing. Another thing talk to him, maybe something else is going on… Have him talk to someone. Kids & teens are people the go through sh!t too. I have 12-20 yr olds, they know there is fun mom & there is you’ve gone to far, better fix that attitude, behavior… And not because I’m bigger than them.

7 Likes

Break it. Your house your rule. DO NOT allow another one in your home.

1 Like

Get him a psych eval for starters. My brother used to fly off the handle like this while playing video games. He’s bipolar. You can’t physically force him to do anything, but you can remove the games from the house completely when he’s not there as a consequence for acting like this. He can’t play games if he doesn’t have access to them.

Ya id take it or while he’s raging cut the cords if he knows ull back down he will continue to do it.

4 Likes

Take them away fully. If behavior like that is happening, it isn’t the games, it is your kid having no way to show frustration and communicating to you whats wrong. He is becoming spoiled and knows you will allow the behavior and just send him off to dad, he probably allows the same things. So both parents are pawning off a rebellious teen and not dealing with the issue. No games, only school work and chores. Once things get down, allow for ALLOTTED game time. If he acts up, the privilege is taken away. If he threatens you, call the cops. Let him know you aren’t playing around. He is sure old enough to know better. There also DEFINITELY needs to be counseling for the whole family, not just him.

At 13 no child that I support will live under my roof and not do what is told of me or his or her stepfather . The very first this happened u we’re definitely supposed to take the game and he wouldn’t have gotten it back until he understood the rules of my household. Good luck but u should’ve stopped this before it ever got started .

Check with doctors if he is on the spectrum

And also I don’t care how big he is over u Never ever show ur intimidated. He sensed that also and using it to his advantage

6 Likes

Put a router in with a password you change. Only give him access when you is doing what he should

1 Like

You’re also showing your younger children that you accept this kind of behavior and they will also use it to get their way. You need to be the parent and put your foot down. Take away the games and have him earn the privileges by helping out around the house.

My brother was addicted to video games.He eventually grew out of it.You could turn your internet off or get a slower speed

Stop providing the videos games

5 Likes

when he is at school take every video game system out of the house or put them under lock and key, reset internet password and don’t give him the password. if he gets physical call the police, better he learns his lesson now instead of later.

19 Likes

I went through something very similar and I feel your pain. First of all I hope you don’t blame yourself. It is so true that you can’t “make” someone who is stronger than you do anything. I sent my son to his dad for a while for the same reason. His younger siblings were afraid of him and my husband and I simply couldn’t handle it. He eventually came around on his own and is now a responsible adult. I wish I had a better answer. But I will pray for your family

There is such a thing as screen rage when they lose screen time. Both of my granddaughters get it.

Take away the game cord.
He needs to see a counsellor for that rage.
He needs chores around the home,extra outdoor age appropriate activites. Don’t let him rule you at that age or the others will feel they can do the same thing.
No

8 Likes

its so funny how many of yall want to destroy the games . what is that actually teaching ? that throwing tantrums (like he’s doing) is okay for “mature” adults , destroying someone’s belongings when you’re mad at them is okay , wasting the hundreds of dollars spent on the shit is okay , anger = hurt & destroy … & then wonder why the kid grows into an asshole adult with anger issues who cant control their emotions . :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes: . TEACH them .

9 Likes

I have an app for my wifi and when I hear my kid start arguing and yelling, I immediately pause his devices. He used to come out of his room and start yelling at ME. Now he knows when it goes off he’s done. I find that this starts happening after he’s been on it a long time. They need to be encouraged to get out of their rooms and engage with actual humans. I take the opportunity for him to then do a couple of chores. I shut everything off when it’s bedtime so there’s no sneaky playtime happening too. In your scenario if he goes to the Dad’s house, does he still get Xbox time after his meltdowns? I’d try to get dad onboard to mimic no Xbox there either when this happens. Remember your the boss and you have the power. Boundaries and less screen time rules. Remind him that going to juvenile hall, if he ever lays a hand on you, there will be no Xbox ever. You can do it Momma Bear!! Keep telling yourself you’re the one in charge. :bear::heart:

1 Like

Easy turn OFF your WiFi and tv

6 Likes

I got 7 kids from 19 boy , 13 girl 10 girl, 8girl ,6 boy 4 boy and 1 yr old girl , they do not be disrespectful at all my oldest is 6’2 and 200 and I wish he would yell or scream at me , this action is taught to them by how you or someone close to them responds to certain situations, I would definitely seek therapy for this and not “ send “ him away , you need to be the adult and take control of the situation !

Get him into counseling. It’s only going to get worse if you don’t. He needs anger management and maybe meds. I went thru this with my son. It will not get any better on its own. And if all else fells send his ass to boot camp where they will teach him to be respectful

Unplug it all & take it away for a week a so.They learn fast when it is all taken away for awhile.But make sure you e plain to him why you are doing it & let hime know when he learns to behave & talk to you the right way thwn he can have it back.Been there done that with my kids,both boys & girls.This momma bear don’t have time for disrespectful kids

Take every single game away and if he does threaten you, do not back down or call the police. He needs to know now who the parent is and the importance of following rules. Or you will have trouble with him in school and/or it will be harder the older he gets.

4 Likes