My 15-month-old won't stop rocking: Advice?

Need some advice have any mommas gone through this before…my 15 month old just doesnt stop rocking…in his high chair he rocks himself only from his chest up he also does this in his play pen he didnt do it before but now just doesnt stop…I’m at wits end any recommendations o how I can get him to stop…TIA

11 Likes

go to a public health nurse, get a pediatrician, and/or early childhood development center. sooner is better. Seek informativni before trying to get him to stop…he might be self regulating/stimming

2 Likes

Don’t won’t to alarm you but I would go talk to his pediatrician about it. I heard this could be a sign of Autism if done to the point that he won’t stop & it’s constant.

2 Likes

Why does it bother you so much? Maybe it’s just relaxing to him? My 16 month old LOVES to rock himself! He even used to do it in his jumper when he was a baby!

4 Likes

I feel like this was posted yesterday. But this is developmentally appropriate, it’s usually a self soothing act and you shouldnt need to deter them. If you are concerned, ask your pediatrician however it generally is very common

8 Likes

My husband is 27 and still does it. His parents told me they had to stop the car one time they thought they had a flat tire, but no it was him rocking in the back seat :woman_facepalming:t2:. But he has amazing rhythm! :joy:

1 Like

My daughter did it ALLLLL the time. She is now 27 lol. They said she just liked being rocked.

It’s probably just a comfort thing. Why does it bother you so much? :blush:

1 Like

It’s a self soothing technique. Is this your only concern? If not, may want to take him to the doc

This is the same post I saw yesterday. So I guess I’ll say it again. The kid isnt even 2 yet. Its self soothing. If ur upset he rocks, maybe look at WHY it makes u upset. It’s not an issue. He isnt hurting himself.or others. Let it be. All the children I’ve delt with rock at so.e point…doesnt always mean something. Talk to ur doctor if u feel you need to…but getting upset over it is a bit of an overreaction in my opinion

2 Likes

My oldest son did it all the time. It’s how he soothed/entertained himself. Even now at 8 he will rock back and fourth when he is nervous, tired, etc. Some kids just have a lot of energy.

Sounds like a steming thing. My autistic boy started spinning at 18 months and he will be 4 next mo th and doesnt do it as much as we have a door way swing that helps. Like others say if it bothers you get it checked out… A lot of people do things and not realize it.

My twins did the same thing. Dr said it was soothing

Hello i have a form of autism called aspergers its a high functioning form. I have always rocked myself since i was little to sooth myself or i even do it without realizing im doing it. You could talk to your peditrician about it and he could help you out better

2 Likes

Hes self soothing, it’s not necessarily bad. That’s why rocking chairs were invented!

There is nothing wrong with self rocking and if it is a sign of autism wut of it there is nothing wrong with that either

My son and daughter do it all the time, it’s just them self soothing.

I would have him evaluated by a doctor. It could be a sign of a developmental delay or just a way that he self soothes, but it is better to catch it early if it is a problem.

3 Likes

Self soothing I did it they will outgrow it

I’m 31 years old and I still do it in my sleep. I am not autistic. It’s a soothing mechanism. I used to do it intentionally to put myself to sleep but now I do it unconsciously.

1 Like

Have you had his vision tested? A lot of visually impaired children rock as a soothing mechanism.

As long as he looks you in the face and doesn’t show other signs of autism you probably should put up with the behavior.

I would have him evaluated for your peace of mind, otherwise leave him to it. It’s very normal and self soothing. Shit, I still do it when I’m breaking down until I regain composure. It’s a good outlet for energy too.

My daughter used to do that too! And she completely normal 11 year old
It self soothing nothing wrong with it

1 Like

What’s wrong with rocking himself

2 Likes

Iran soothing for him. Don’t stress.

My brother did and rocked the crib around the room.

1 Like

You should see a neurologist and be evaluated

I once read an article regarding this behavior. As it is more common in boys than girls. Often in between stages of growth. A form of self soothing. Since it is causing you concern speak with your pediatrician. Best wishes! Much peace and love ☆

3 Likes

Find out where there is a ecap program around u.

They can do an evaluation on him or her.

They will help u cope and help the child cope to do so!

I did the same thing when I was a baby. I used to rock constantly. Even in elementary school I’d rock and move my chair without acknowledging it. Now I notice I do it when I’m feeling really sick, anxious or tired. Just soothing to me I guess and I don’t have any developmental or mental issues. Just a person who finds the rocking really calming. :woman_shrugging:t2: If I’m not rocking then I’m probably moving my leg or foot.

Most littles grow out of it by 5yrs. But my son is 12 and he has been diagnosed with repetitive movement disorder, he cant stop rocking… he rocks all the time. It can be distracting for others in his class, but he concentrates better when he is rocking. I have been to many pediatricians about this, it isn’t a big deal. Most kids grow out of it. But likely my son will do this until he forces himself to stop in adulthood. I really doubt your child has RMD, but just know if he does it isn’t the end of the world. It’s just a quirk.

1 Like

My cousin did this. Its self soothing.

Hmm could be self soothing but could also be sign of a form of autism. Do they socialize well, make eye contact, act “normally”? It’s probably not because usually with autism the rocking would start earlier

So many rude comments… If he continues to do it ask his pediatrician it can be a form of self soothing or early sign of autism don’t stress about it he’s just a baby

1 Like

Soothing mechanism leave him alone

I did it my whole childhood. I still find myself doing it while I drive. I’m 36.

Have him or her checked for autism.

He’s stimming. It’s a soothing mechanism common in autism and other disorders. Could be nothing. I’d play it safe and have him tested as early as possible. My daughter stims and hand flaps. She has ADHD.

1 Like

I’m almost 40 yrs old and will catch myself doin it. Doesn’t matter if I’m stressed or calm if I’m sitting certain ways or even standing I’ll catch myself rocking

1 Like

He’s soothing himself. Is it actually an issue?

2 Likes

Both my daughters did it. It used to calm them and gelp them fall asleep and they dropped the habit around the time they hit 3. Btw i do it as well and im a grown up

Why stop him? As long as its just rocking and not bashing his head you’d be stopping him for himself, not for him. I’m 36 and still find myself rocking daily.

Don’t bring attention to it. It’ll further stress him over upsetting you. It’s normal behavior and not self harming/self injurious
Play music to give him more movements. Make a game out of it without bringing direct attention to it.

2 Likes

It’s a habit and it’s soothing why must this child stop ? It’s not harming anyone

3 Likes

She could just be concerned that her child could rock themself out their chair and injure themself? Just a thought…

I just turned 30 and I still find myself doing it and I also shake my foot or bounce my leg and don’t realize it until someone points it out. I was told it’s a sign of anxiety.

1 Like

He might be comforting himself but just to be on the safe side I would ask his doctor

1 Like

My son does this and has since he was 8 months old come to find out he’s Autistic and has Sensory processing disorder may want to talk to his pediatrician all theses ladies saying it’s normal are not drs and shouldn’t be saying he’s fine when they don’t know your child you do and if you feel it’s not normal than make an appointment

4 Likes

You should have him checked out by a Doctor. I have seen this when I was watching a child.

1 Like

Why is this an issue? Is it hurting him or others if not then stop worrying about it

2 Likes

My middle child did this. Found out at 3yrs old he has adhd and sensory processing disorder. It could be a stem. I would consult with your pediatrician. Stemming behaviors can be a list of things, autism, sensory processing, adhd, add and so on.

2 Likes

If you are truely worried and have that gut feeling something is off i would take him to the dr just to check and make sure he doesn’t have some kind of disorder. If he does, they can catch it early. Always trust your intuition as we mothers all have them. Some people do it to soothe themselves, but a dr visit wouldn’t hurt. Better safe than sorry :heart_decoration:

3 Likes

It’s stimming why is it a issue? Why would lo trying to sooth thenself be a problem? Also speak to the doctor could be other problems with stimmming so much.

1 Like

Leave him be let him rock

See his pediatrician.

1 Like

I’m 27 and I still do this. It’s more of a comfort thing for me. When I’m mad. When I’m anxious. When I’m sad. Etc. I rock.

It’s a sign of emotional trouble.

Make him a doctor appointment with his primary but doesn’t seem wrong. Let him play rock himself he’s a growing boy.

Don’t make him stop rocking let him do it might give him comfort. Have patience don’t seem like u do!

It’s a self soothing thing. My 3 year old still does it to put himself to sleep or if he’s just trying to relax. They’ll stop on their own when ready.

My son rocks. He’s 2 and has done it since he could sit up. In his high chair, on the floor leaning against the couch, in bed, in his car seat. He just loves to rock. Its how he goes to sleep.

It’s probably a comfort thing. I wouldn’t worry about it.

just sounds like a normal phase to me. if you’re making a big deal of it they might just be doing it to get a rise out of you. I would just ignore it if I were you

4 Likes

My son rocks and has since i can remember hes 5 . He used to bang his head to sleep when he was a baby too (sounds worse than it was) i brought it up to his doctor thinking he had an involuntary movement disorder thing i read about but he told me its completely normal hes doing it to soothe himself. And since he could sit and not move it wasnt involuntary

2 Likes

Just make sure your baby is in a injury free space and let them be. Or ask a doctor and if they don’t give you the answer you’re looking for you could always see a pediatrician.

1 Like

My daughter does this weird “squeeze her legs” thing…When she started it i honestly thought she was having seizures and locking up…Turns out she just likes the way it feels…She is now 10 and still does it…

Self soothing… super normal.

2 Likes

I used to do this as a baby and young child. You just grow out of it. If you go on about it it will make it worse

My little boy did like a eye flicking thing I took him to options to doctor to eye hospital people thinking something was up nothing came back from any of them about six months later he stopped doing it I think my little one did it more cause I was concerned next time you take him doctors just mention it but it’s probably a phase x

It’s a form of self soothing and it’s normal for babies to do when they get anxious or bored.

It could be perfectly normal or could be something like early signs of autism.something you should make notes about and keep an eye on anyways.

6 Likes

My three-year-old has been doing this since birth was concerned they said she’s fine. It’s getting less and less. She does it in her car seat and in bed.

1 Like

Why do you want them to stop?

3 Likes

Reseatch sensory toys for toddlers so he can receive the sensory input he is seeking. And then ask your pediatrician for some referalls.

1 Like

Ur mad cuz he rocks himself :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

9 Likes

My son is almost 9 and still does it.

It could be just a simple phase. But I would definitely bring it up to his doctor as many children with autism will tend to rock themselves. I have 2 nephews with autism and used to work with children on the spectrum. But like I said it could also just be a phase!

3 Likes

I’m close to 35 years old and I still catch myself doing it :joy:🤷

1 Like

It’s self soothing; he may have a sensory processing disorder. I’d have him evaluated by an occupational therapist.

My boy does this head shaking no thing very quickly. It worried me a lot but apparently his dad (hubby) did it too. I wouldn’t worry too much. My son does it when he’s hyper or just feels like being funny cause he laughs when he does it. I wouldn’t worry unless he shows more signs of developing a disorder.

Today… be 3 next week. Only has a speech delay healthy otherwise. It’s a self soothing thing. It actually runs in my husbands family. Since 3 months old. Doctor said shes fine no issues just let her do it.

2 Likes

It’s normal idk why it would bother you unless you have a control issue or his rocking triggers you to have anxiety other then that let him be that what he does

Pick him up and hold him when he does it. He’s still a baby and he’s soothing himself. Step in and soothe him.

3 Likes

My 8 year does this and has done from very young.

Not trying to be rude at all but why would him rocking make you become at your wits end? He’s not hurting you, himself, or anyone else. He’s not screaming non-stop. Sounds like maybe it’s just soothing to him. I would def ask about it and keep an eye on it when it comes to early signs of autism but it really just could be a phase and completely innocent.

6 Likes

My neice is almost 5 and does this to put herself to sleep. Completely normal. I believe my nephew does it as well sometimes.

I’m not sure why this is an issues ? Is the child harming themselves or something ??

2 Likes

For everyone bashing… She’s concerned because it’s a constant behaviour. There’s a positive to reassure someone that it’s normal. Not making them feel like an idiot. I thought this group was supposed to be a place for mothers to help each other! Chelsea N Ashworth has the right way of positioning it.

5 Likes

This isn’t anything to be upset about. It’s a stuff soothing thing and most likely they will grow out of it. Don’t let little nothings bother you so much or you won’t be able to handle the big stuff that will come along.

1 Like

Not to be rude but you’re mad because your baby is rocking?!? He is soothing himself…instead of wanting him to stop,why don’t you soothe him? It could also be a processing disorder. My son does it and he is 7,he also has autism. My 2yr old daughter rocks herself and she has Tourette syndrome. All children learn to deal with feelings differently. It could simply be your child trying to relax. Just pick him up and hold him.

1 Like

Why are you mad at a child soothing himself? Sounds like you have the problem not the baby

2 Likes

I’ve got a friend that is in his 30s an still does it.

I’ve always heard it’s a sign of autism…not sure but none of my.3 have ever done it except maybe here or there

1 Like

He isnt even 2. Let him rock. It’s a self soothing thing or a fun thing for him to do. No need to be upset over it or to think too deep into it. I still rock randomly. Why does it bother you? Is it affecting you in any way? Is he hurting himself? Is he hurting other?
If alm answers are NO, then let it go. Hes a baby…kids need to learn to self sooth and if this makes him happy who cares.

4 Likes

Im 34 and I still rock myself to sleep every night… If it helps ur child and they aren’t hurting themselves I really wouldn’t worry.

My little cousin used to bang himself back and forth rocking on the sofa, all us kids would make fun of him , but no one ever stopped him …he’s a very successful doctor now.

My sister rocked like that when she was a small child…mostly when she was riding in the car. She out grew it.

My son was diagnosed around 18 months, his incessant head nodding was what caught the doctor’s attention

https://autismsciencefoundation.org/what-is-autism/early-signs-of-autism/

My cousin did this for many years until she was like 8 or so! We all thought it was odd but eventually she grew out of it. She is in her 20s now - doesn’t have autism but she has anxiety and it turns out she felt especially uncomfortable at family gatherings because we have such a large family! I truly believe just a way to soothe. Maybe try introducing other soothing methods if it upsets you? Directed deep breathing. Holding and rocking him yourself. Etc.