My 15-year-old daughter is pregnant: Will DHS really get involved?

I myself got pregnant at 15, not once was CPS ever involved. Now my oldest is 20 and I’ll be a first time grandma come March!!:heart:

2 Likes

In most states 15 is not considered legal age of consent. If the father is over 15 he could face criminal charges.

2 Likes

I don’t understand why people are being rude. The kid’s pregnant, there’s no point in bashing her and telling everyone what “you would’ve done.” I’m SO glad most of you think you know what your daughters are doing 24/7, but kids lie and sneak around. Shit happens.

DHS most likely has to get involved because of her young age, to make sure she has the support and resources she needs, and/or to make sure that there hasn’t been any sexual assault because she’s a minor.

21 Likes

I was 15. Gave birth a month after my 16th birthday. I didn’t find out until I was almost 16 weeks pregnant with my daughter. Never hAd to deal with any of that and my daughter is now 8.

1 Like

They do this just to make sure she wasn’t raped by family it’s actually sad and surprisingly common for DHS to get involved and request DNA testing to be done to make sure a family member isn’t abusing her given how young she is they also try to find out who the actual father is and help with establishing child support ect if he isn’t a blood relative and this isn’t a result of incest

I’m monitoring these comments. Some of them are sickening and uncalled for!!!

28 Likes

They’re just going to make sure your daughter and the baby are in a safe environment.

1 Like

Just go thru the process has a lot of good things like programs for parents, parenting classes , CPR classes , good to use the process .

2 Likes

I was pregnant at 14 and social services was never notified or in contact with me.

Depends on the state you live in, as there are different laws for each state. However, this is typical to contact CPS to make sure that the baby will be in a good environment and to make sure she didn’t get pregnant by someone older/raped.

It all depends on the state you live in here in colorado 16 and under cannot legally concent to sexual activity. Which means if the guy was over 18 he can be charged for statutory rape. It all depends on the state you live in also cps gets called anyone under 17 gets pregnant whether they investigate it or not. Also they can stay in your lives till your daughter can prove that she is able to take care of the child on her own, if you (the parents) support her then they investigate your home and situations not just your daughters. I had a friend go through this and cps was in their lives till her daughter turned 19 she had her son 2 days after her 16th bday.

They got involved in my sisters life for the same reason and honestly they helped her so much and when she turned 18 they helped her get out in her own and closed her case

5 Likes

15 isn’t the age of consent so they probably want to make sure it wasn’t an adult .

4 Likes

No. Find a new doctor.

3 Likes

I think they will just question her to make sure there was no abuse/rape. And to give her advice on places to go for help and making decisions. Make sure she has the support she needs. It is not ALWAYS bad for cps to get involved… It does not say anything about at your parenting… I think it is just for help and support for your daughter… Just be honest with them and take any help they offer.( counseling…parenting classes…etc) Good luck and stand by your daughter and y’all will get thru it with happy hearts and a happy baby

1 Like

Never had that issue

Poor girl. Too young to have a child.

12 Likes

It depends on the state. Some state laws require it some don’t. In most states they want to make sure the pregnancy isn’t a result of incest or rape. Some states will stay involved to monitor the situation to make sure the new mom and baby are ok and safe.

I was pregnant very early and they did not get involved for me . It would depend on your state and situation .
I’m in MA .

No. You need to find a new doctor. If there is no need, then this is horrible. If she has a place to live, proper medical care, food, basic needs, etc. If CPS was involved in the home she resides in, then that may be why

Um no. Working in the medical care we have had kids coming in at 12 pregnant. We never called children services unless we felt it was a statutory rape (the father over 18) or if we felt the child was molested by a family member. Don’t take offense to what I am saying, but that’s the only reason why they would have to contact children service.

My sisters friend was raped by her bf and they got involved because of that (he was 17 she was 15)

The only reason they would get involved is if the dad was 18 or older, but it doesnt hurt to have them involved, they will help, as long as she is in the home with you nothing will happen

2 Likes

I got pregnant when I was 15 but that was a long time ago. Never heard of this before. Hope everything works out. No I don’t think 15 is a good age to get pregnant but it does happen. Just to let you know my daughter is in a very successful medical career happily married with 3 children of her own. Bought her own house and her and her husband completely support their family. She is now 35 ! Good luck!

2 Likes

They get involved because shes a minor without an education and not financially stable for a baby. I know someone who works for DHS and they monitor the kids at the high school where they have a daycare on site.

3 Likes

I had my baby at 15 and they never got involved! I’m from Kansas City, KS so it may be different? Also, my situation was in 2006/2007 so times may have changed… But yeah, like I said they didnt get involved!!

Sending prayers your way!

Did she say who the father was?

Depends on state. My guess is the “nurse” with some issue was trying to scare you and shame you. 15 yr olds get pregnant ALOT. It happens in the best of families. I would not worry about it. I can picture the face of the DHS worker getting called. A 15 yr old came in pregnant… She was being a bitch.

7 Likes

My god… honey​:sob: I was 15 and pregnant with my son! I can only imagine how terrified she is! I can’t speak for your state but in mine they only got involved after my child was born more or less to make sure both of my parents were stable as well as the environment that she and baby will be living in! Or it could be they suspect foul play like statutory rape, sexual assault, etc… Like other mothers have said! I know it wasn’t much help but I wanted to throw it out there​:heart::heart: stay strong to both of you mama’s​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: (PS. They may want to ask you a lot of personal questions! Especially about mom and dad!!!)

1 Like

Have never heard of this… :hushed:

3 Likes

I had my son at 16 and DHS wasn’t involved so I think it’s just dependent on the state. I live in TN

2 Likes

No they won’t. I’m 17 and pregnant. My friend is 16 and pregnant

3 Likes

Never heard of this and my first child was born when I was 16. Now if she has drugs in her system that’s another story. If not then I’d find a new doctor.

2 Likes

I was 17 when I got pregnant still in school, and had no job, I had an amazing support system that allowed me to finish school but that definitely wasn’t part of the equation at my first appointment I still had options I could have chosen (ie adoption or abortion) but no one involved cps I’m not sure if it’s because she’s only 15 but I don’t see why they have to be involved if you have a plan to help her be successful in whatever she chooses I feel like this is something on the part of the dr they choose to do if they feel so as long as you’re supportive and show an active role in like I said wanting her to be successful in whatever she chooses I don’t see them if they do get involved being involved long I mean what’re they gonna put down in the referral pregnant 15 year old I feel like they have far worse cases to take a look at than a girl with a supportive family helping her guide through one of life’s surprises people make mistakes especially teenagers but that doesn’t mean they can’t do it all.

I was pregnant at 14 an DHS was not notified. I’ve never heard of this unless they say they were abused or something. Could depend on the state but sounds like the nurse had an issue I would ask the dr why that’s happening

7 Likes

My daughter was fifteen when she got pregnant, never had that happen, this was eighteen years ago. Than of course could depend on what state you live in.

She’s a minor, so yes, I would assume they have to notify CPS in case it’s an instance of statutory rape or something else nonconsensual.

My daughter was 15 and pregnant, when she had my grandson , the hospital sent a child care advocate to her room To
“ scare” her, once I informed them she was living with me and I would help raise the baby they went away, don’t be to freaked out

3 Likes

I wouldn’t stress, if you guys have a stable home life etc they’ll simply check once (if they do at all) and leave you alone.

Man some of you ladies are nasty

Can someone explain how this girl is a slut or whore because she had sex.
We dont know if she slept with one guy or 10
We dont know how many times she had sex.
Teenagers are great at misleading information.
Your kid can get pregnant at the mall school park maccas anywhere. So them who are saying you know where n what ya kid is upto to no no you know what they are telling you .

OP dont listen to the ones judging your parenting we ain’t in your home .

16 Likes

I was 16 when I had my first daughter, all they did was check to see how my living conditions were and they offered programs and stuff only lasted maybe 3 months she would just come and see how I was feeling and how the baby was actually quite supporting! I wouldn’t look at it as a bad thing

3 Likes

Yeah they will come talk to her and assess if it was due to abuse/sexual assault. They will look at home life and support system. From experience it lasted my whole pregnancy and after birth. My child was removed for no support system.

1 Like

They must have found out something suspicious for them to be involved. I was 16 when I got pregnant and had my daughter and they never got involved with me

CPS can eat a dick, they only get involved to serve their own interest…If the system truly cared, there wouldn’t be so much abuse and hoops to jump through.

4 Likes

I was 16 when I got pregnant, no CPS involved, my boyfriend and I just had to talk to the liaison officer at our highschool to clear things up and make sure there was no assault or anything of that sort

Yeah. Because shes underage and pregnant. They will want to know who the father is

At 15 she is a child. They have to be sure she has not been abuse in any way and that any sexual activity was consensual.

1 Like

I got pregnant with my son a few wks before I turned 17 & my parents never did have to contact CPS or anyone in fact. Now this was almost 19yrs ago but still. I went to all my doctors appointments, went to my senior year of high school until I began to show then went on homebound until I had him. My mom ended up signing me out of school to take my GED(which I wish I wld have walked across the stage)after I had him & still never had to contact CPS or DHS. I also knew a girl that got pregnant at 14 & still same thing. I’ve never heard that before. Good luck to you & even though it seems so hard & upsetting now one day you will look back & realize how strong you both were & what a blessing this baby will be. I know I wldnt take anything for my son!!! I wish I wld have waited of course but if I hadnt had him them I honestly dont believe I wld had ever had children. He is my only one that i have given birth to but i have an amazing stepson as well. It all seems dark now but there will be a gorgeous little light soon!!! Praying for you, your daughter & the baby!!! I wld also like.to say that no matter how great of a parent you think you are teenagers are going to sneak & do things they know better than. I was raised in a Christian home & my parents were strict on me but I still snuck around & knew better. I also knew that it was my responsibility when I became pregnant & did what I thought was right. I also was not dating the father when it happened but we remained great friends and he was always in his sons life & still today my son is almost 19 & still has a good relationship with his dad & brothers.

Never heard of that and I was pregnant with twins at 14. Things may have changed since then. It has been 23 years now so I don’t know. Every place is different as well.

1 Like

They don’t get involved because of age

Depends on age of consent in your state I think. Lowest is 16.

They just to check ups now and then.Make sure the home is clean safe.Make sure She wasn’t forced.They can help with resources for Her and Baby.

1 Like

My mom had me at 15 and never had that issue

Those people are bad news. Period

3 Likes

My grandma had my mom and 15. She was forced to put my mom up for adoption, but that was 1969. Like everyone else said it’ll depend on the state. I’m so sorry about these judgmental comments. I pray your girl gets the support she needs. You’re a good mom, nothing can prepare you for these things. It’s just good you’re being proactive and involved. She can still go on to do everything she wanted to, she’ll just have to work a little harder. This isn’t the end of her life.

I got pregnant at 15 (boyfriend was 17) they didn’t do anything until I had our daughter and that’s when a DCF caseworker stepped in and tried to get my girls’ dad for statutory rape as when I delivered I was 16 and he had just turned 18. Nothing came of it because he was a minor at the time of conception.

1 Like

Never really heard of that when I was in high school I knew younger girls that where pregnant but with the way the world is today they are probably just checking on things to make sure nothing happened such as rape or what not try not to worry to much

I had my son when I was 15. No one ever got involved in our situation. The dad was 14 at the time so maybe that had something to do with it. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I was 16 when I got pregnant they only asked the age of the dad and calculated that there was “no abuse” since he wasnt over 21yrs of age and it was consensual. That was it. But it depends on the state I believe.

1 Like

Depends on the age of consent in your state , I believe. Look up the laws in your state and call a lawyer for a consultation. They can tell you your rights and what to do/what will happen.

That’s one hell of an overstepping nurse. I got pregnant at 14 and no CPS involvement. Nor did ANY “mandated reporter” even bring it up.

I wouldn’t take her back there again. I’d also report her to the doctor and file a complaint.

2 Likes

CPS doesn’t get involved unless she has told them she was raped or abused.

1 Like

Different states have different laws about this? What state do you live in?

Anyone can make a hotline. And every call is supposed to be investigated. If they find nothing case is close. Wouldn’t take it personal.

Nope, I was a 16 yr old mom, & they didn’t. I’m in California though, so maybe different states, different laws.

I had my son at 19. A case worker came in to talk to me after i had him to make sure i had everything i needed for him. They said thats procedure for anyone under 21.

1 Like

Not true. I became pregnant young and DHS didnt get involved only to help me w insurance

1 Like

That’s not true…my sister got pregnant at 16 and never had that told to my parents…Some nurses are A-holes…I’ve never heard of that before…

Is the age of consent 16 maybe in your state? Idk, sounds like an overstep to me. Hang in there, mama.

Another baby having a baby :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Maybe it’s by state? I was 15 no one called for me

I got pregnant at 14 and started getting maternity care at 15 but my mother knew and it was consensual and his father (my now finace) went to every one of my appointments with me and they never once mentioned dhs to me or my family just asked a lot of questions about if I was in a safe place and If I was forced or anything… I also in Arkansas and that may make a difference :woman_shrugging:t3:

I got pregnant with my son at 16 (my husband was 18 at the time) when our son was born the nurse notified us that CPS might come and do a home check but they never did. Other then that nobody ever said anything to us about CPS getting involved and were from Indiana. I wouldn’t worry about it I’ve honestly never hear of anybody having to do that. But it could be just to make sure it was consensual.

In Manitoba they legally have to get involved until she is 18.

Well, duh. She’s a child

I was pregnant at 16 and that didn’t happen to me I would say it’s the nurse or clinic doing it themselves. I’m sorry :neutral_face:

I was 14 and noone was called.

Idk what state your in. But I didnt deal with them except to help daughter get assistance. Healthcare and DNA to prove who father was which was her she as well. Only time we dealt with them was over child support and healthcare benefits…

Wow I’ve never heard of that!!! Maybe it’s your State. They probably just want to make sure she’s not being Abuse at home and who the father is. I’m so sorry. Hang in there. There’s a lot of things I could say but I think your going through enough now. I’m pretty sure it going to be a hard time for yourself and your daughter.

You don’t contact child protective services, you contact DHS, that’s so she can get her prenatal care covered by Medicaid, WIC for food while she’s pregnant and food for the baby if she doesn’t breastfeed, come on now, these are two totally different places

5 Likes

No. Only way they play a role is if both parents aren’t around to take care of her. Otherwise, your parent role prevails. Good luck! Such a young, tender age to be a mother. Hope she gets on with school just the same.

1 Like

I would definitely get them involved because she can get on OHP and get all of her medical paid for… Depending on your income.

My daughter got pregnant at 15 and had her baby. I never ever, not even once heard of a medical member say that they were going to call the Authorities. This wasn’t intentionally done by the parents. That just adds more heartache to the parents who are finding out that their teenager is pregnant, because that news alone comes as a complete shock to most of us.

1 Like

I’m guessing the nurse meant DHS (department of human services) they will connect her with resources.

2 Likes

Things are different in each state. I think that they mainly want to make sure that your daughter gets the help that she needs. They may check on her (through medical.records) from time to time. However it sounds like you have things under control

1 Like

DHR would be for resources like prenatal care, WIC, and things like that, which are very helpful. CPS would probably want to make sure that she wasn’t raped or that the father wasn’t of legal age. If she’s healthy and being taken care of and taking care of herself, there shouldn’t be a problem.

3 Likes

Depending on your state that you live in it is different in each. I would be worried about doing that personally. They could be trying to get the information to press charges on someone since she is under age.

Each state is different. But you should be fine.

It’s only DHS that will be contacted for all her prenatal stuff, WIC, ObGyn, etc. Calm down!

4 Likes

I didn’t know this but it seems it’s for the best honestly.

My sister had a baby st 14 and they never got involved here. We live in Missouri.

I was 15 when I found out I was pg with my oldest daughter… Cps wasn’t involved and got on everything I needed to, to have help with bills and never had a case or anything

I was pregnant at 15 they will not get involved unless you the parent press charges on the guy,I never reported to cos or dhr well my parents never did

Depends cause I had my first child at 15 got pregnant at 14 CPS wasn’t invovled

I never heard of this unless, the father of the baby is 18 or over one or both parents are on drugs or there is something going on in the home to be concerned about.

1 Like

I had 2 kids before 18, they never got involved unless someone calls them for a reason! Their not to be trusted at all!!

1 Like

That is not true. I had my son at 16 and never had to notify anyone.

I came a first time mom at 15 year’s old and that never happen to me …

They do. I’ve seen charges pressed on the father if he is over legal age since she is a minor

1 Like

I was 15 when I found out I was pregnant with my oldest. We went into the department of social and health services to get me set up on the correct insurance and then went to wic to get help with healthy foods. Child services never got involved with me or my son after I had him

5 Likes