My 2-year-old is scared to get a haircut: How can I make it less traumatic?

My hair dresser is mom to 6 boys. My son at 3 was a busy boy so she would challenge him to sit still like a gargoyle and he did pretty well. He is 26 now.

I took him to a barber. When he started crying the barber basically told him to stop and be brave. And he did. Has never thrown a fit since.

Why is it so important for him to get a haircut now . This phase will
pass.

1 Like

Have him sit on your lap facing you. I did that with my 1st daughter and it worked

1 Like

This sometimes happens for a while, my son got over it after a while, I just did at home hair cuts for a bit lol.

1 Like

My sister went through that with my nephew at that age. He just outgrew it. I don’t remember how long that took but eventually he stopped fussing.

My grandson was the same way. They ended up shaving his head. More time in between haircuts. Now is 8 and tolerates it

Had him sit on your lap. I did mine and never had a problem after the first time and he even swept up his hair.

1 Like

I let my son watch you tube videos, hes autistic and used to hate the buzzer sound, Ever since then he loves getting hair cuts

For my son we let him sit in his stroller and gave him suckers or mini m and m’s.

Trim some of your own hair and show him it doesn’t hurt

I had that problem— but now he’s 40 and his wife takes him for his haircuts!

Saturdays does really good with kids

My sons always had a stuffed friend who went with them and got snipps too.

umm don’t cut his hair then?? wow, way to force a standard on him that he doesnt want and traumatize him for no reason

ask him what is the scary part… have him sit on his dads lap while they cut his hsirc

We take Sawyer to our hair dresser, we hold him and don’t use a cap. Lynsey says that scares kids

Maybe it would help if he sat on your lap? And a big treat afterward…

Let him sit on your lap while he is getting his hair cut

I put scotch tape all over him he was so intent on getting it off did not notice his getting hair cut

Can you hold him on your lap?

2 Likes

cut his hair while he is sleeping if possible

Use clippers and let him touch the blade show him it won’t hurt him

Get a hair cut your self and have him on you’re lap. Show him it’s not scary

Let him sit in someone’s lap while they’re getting a haircut.

Could he and Daddy get one at same time. Side by side?

1 Like

I used to do my husbands and then his. My husband would talk to him and let him watch u tube while we did his.

Why don’t you put your child on your lap let them cut his hair.

I’m a hairstylist and I couldn’t for the life of me get my son to sit for a haircut. I waited until he got older with his phone. It’s just hair!

Let someone else take him…kids usually only act like that when their parents are around.

Ok he’s a boy right? My son is 3 and cries every time he gets a hair cut. We take him to one of the kids cutting places and while he is scared it seems to go better with people who are used to little kids. The other thing with corona and all the hair cutting places being closed my husband actually cut his hair and it went world’s better than at the
Salon.

When his dad gets a haircut have him go with and watch (hopefully to the same place and hair dresser). Lots of compliments and smiles at dad after ( really gushy) to show what fun it was. Hopefully Dad can play it up and finish with an ice cream treat. Do this a few times so he’s comfortable going.

1 Like

Let someone else take him for you. I was a hairdresser for thirty years.

let him sit in your lap while they cut his hair.

Have you had him sit in your lap while you get a hair cut?

The kids of today? I got nothin.

Get a doll with hair and let him cut its hair with safety scissors…children are generally just afraid that something bad will happen…get a small hand vibrator and let him use it on the doll, himself, and family members so he doesnt fear electric clippers…my husband was a barber and kids loved him.

We try praying, worked great, barber couldn’t believe it was same boy!

1 Like

A camera worked great for us he like getting his picture made

Let the baby grow his hair!

I was thinking let him sit in your lap! While you comfort him. Then he will see it will not hurt

Let his hair grow for now.

Sit in chair put him in your lap

1 Like

Assure him it’s not going to hurt.

Ask him why he’s scared and respond to that.

I’m in the same boat. I’m just letting his hair grow because idgaf anymore :joy:

2 Likes

Wait until hes older.

Stop using the word “ cut “

Well considering the way today’s “time out” crowd is acting, maybe it’s time to stop letting toddlers run your life. Spank him and tell him he’s getting a haircut.

6 Likes

Bribery! My now 7 year old hated hair cuts we gave him candy or extra iPad time to let me cut it. Now he does it without fits or any trouble!

He thinks it’s going to hurt

Give him a melatonin to relax him

Hes gonna love the dentist

1 Like

We use the blow dryer on my son as they are cutting his hair and it’s a total win. Before a hairdresser did this little trick we couldn’t even cut his hair because of how much he cried, moved, screamed. Sometimes he holds the blow dryer now but I guess it helps because it drowns out the noise and it keeps the hair from going on him at all.

My son is on the spectrum, very high functioning and hated having his hair cut! Looking back on it, I feel soo bad about how I handled it. I would hold him on my lap holding his arms down, with one of my legs wrapped around his to keep home from kicking me. I was uneducated and did not realize it was the clippers, the bright lights, etc. He will be 17 next month and has been cutting his own hair for about two years now. He wears it very short and I wasn’t paying for a hair cut every other week so he YouTubed and learned. People have questioned him about how he was getting hair cuts when all the salons and barbershops were shut down. They were amazed to learn that he does it himself.

Let his hair be long :slight_smile:

My husband was getting his done at the same time and as my son was getting his cut, he was watching his dad get his cut. It helped a lot!

1 Like

Don’t cut his hair yet. Wait until he’s not so frightened of the experience and can tolerate it. Hair is not a big deal. This is a life lesson in picking your battles. Let this one go.

Idk if it helps but we had to use a phone/iPad. Fortunately for us my sister is his hairdresser so it feels more comforting when your aunt cuts your hair plus knowing she has the patience. Maybe find safety scissors and let him hold them (under close supervision) so he can see and feel them for himself. In the end though try not to force it too hard and he may come around

Has he seen others getting their hair cut? (Like yourself, father, sibling, friend, ect) if he hasn’t seen others getting their cuts he doesn’t understand what’s happening. Let him see multiple people (that he knows) getting theirs done and then he may get less stressed.

If it’s a real bid deal and tramatic for her, I have a “stepping out of the box” idea. Before you take her there, talk to the manager and ask if you can run to Walmart, buy a little baby doll and put it somewhere on the shelves where the shampoo’s are displayed (but not too conspicuous for other customers). Then, go get your 2 year old and explain to her that you need to go to the hair store and buy some shampoo. But instead, she eyes the little doll and you make an exciting big deal about it and “buy” it for her. Then LEAVE. The next time you take her there (to get her hair done), she should feel very comfortable going there. And, while she’s getting her hair done, let her sit on your lap watching “UTube kids” on your cell phone. A lot to do, and some would think it’s too much or your spoiling her or giving her false expectations. What WE do for our babies. AND she’s only 2 years old. Good luck and EVERYONE reading this PLEASE stay safe and be kind to others. (Excuse me! I just re-read your post. Better not buy a dolly. Buy a dinosaur instead). (wink- wink)

Take him to kids only salon works perfectly

Dont use the word “cut”

Hold him on your lap.