My 3-year-old twins have cavities: Advice?

Why are they pushing to fill them?
Our dentist never filled baby teeth.

1 Like

How tf does kids get cavities??? Brush your kids teeth🤦‍♀️

2 Likes

I thought they didnt normally fill baby teeth, as they going to fall out anyways (depending on how bad the cavitie is I guess). I would get a second opinion

Have you ever had cavities filled? Then you know it can be painful with the needles and such. Id put them under. Its not about you or your husband. Its whats best for the kids.

1 Like

I had ours done this way and the kids were just fine.

When I was a kid I had a lot of “cavities” filled that we later found out we’re all unnecessary! It’s a really common thing here as if they don’t care about doing unnecessary dental work on children because they know the parents will just give the okay and they get their pay day. DEFINITELY get a second opinion to make sure they are actual cavities, other than that I was never put under any anesthesia or anything like that and I never had a problem! They numb your mouth so you won’t feel anything besides the numbing shot

2 Likes

Ex dental therapist here…I’d put them under-but I guess you could try gas first…If they love the dentist-you want to keep it that way. Having a three year old sit still long enough to have some fillings done is a huge ask…a negative experience is likely to break their confidence and could lead to lifelong fear of the dentist.

4 Likes

My son had a cavity filled at 3… no gas and zero numbing shots. It was over in 5 minutes…

1 Like

I’m a dental assistant and I worked in a pediatric office. Try with the laughing gas first and if they can’t sit through it then they need to be sedated for their safety. If they move or cry and freak out they can get seriously injured.

3 Likes

Mine daughter went under sedation it’s best because they wont remember a thing an still love the dentist if u want them awake they will definitely hate the dentist

1 Like

My daughter is 4 and going to try laughing gas first.

I found a dentist that did in house sedation… we didn’t have insurance and couldn’t afford going to the hospital to have it done… we ended up going to the dentist University in our state :blush: did an amazing job too

If they’re baby teeth and aren’t hurting, best to fill them in normally or just get them taken out

My oldest has had some dental work done under anesthesia…it’s not that bad. It’s really more for them. If they sleep through it they don’t get frightened during the procedure and then won’t be afraid of going to the dentist. Also, if they find anything that they may have missed that’s needs to be worked on their already under and can have everything done at once.

Get a second opinion. A dentist tried to tell me my son has horrible teeth. I took him to another dentist and that dentist was so furious. My sons teeth are perfect.

Both of my kid’s were put to sleep when they were 3 to have teeth work done. That was the best thing they were able to do it all at one time and they did not remember any of it

I wish a dentist would sedate me for fillings lol i hate the dentist because of the sounds

My youngest son had cavities filled when he was 3. He was put to sleep and had everything done at one time. He woke up and was fine. He didn’t remember anything except the drink that put him to sleep.

In uk my kids have had teeth filled and pulled with no drugs needed. It all depends on child as eldest did need knocking out but he is autistic

My son had similar issues, he has very close together teeth with deep grooves. We see the dentist alot due to it. He needed his front teeth capped and cavities filled. We made the choice to put him under for it… I don’t regret it at all. He has a great relationship with his dentist and those procedures take time and to ensure his wiggly butt would be still long enough for a good job to be done and not scare him from returning it was the choice we made. The couple hours of him coming out of it are hard, but it was soo worth it to know the dentist got everything done and done right and my kid is not scarred by it. He still loves his dentist and has no recollection of it and no pain etc. it was the best choice for him bc hes sooo high energy… however, be sure to understand most times your dental insurance wont cover some of it if its done at a hospital

You definitely don’t want them afraid of the dentist…they are front teeth…a lot harder and if they move can be serious…

I wouldn’t harp on you for anything! Being a parent you have a built-in-guilt meter!So quit beating urself up over this! My mom did all of the so-called right things for me to have good teeth! But at 5 I had gotten teeth like crazy! Went to dentist for bad teeth,no matter what was done!,until I was 25 yrs. old! Tired of dentistry that never lasted,had mine pulled,got dentures,& loved them,never regretted it Nor ever blamed my mom! So just do what you feel is best,u know ur kids best,and quit the guilt trip! Sounds like ur loving,caring parents!

The fact that your children love the dentist. Says alot so on that note you dont want them to experience pain or get to where they wont want to go no more. My son had his front two teeth pull with nothing because we were told it wasn’t going to hurt because of his teeth being bad and baby teeth that was far from true he was completely scared of any dentist. So much so that when we found his next dentist he punch his asst. I am telling u its best

Coming from a mom who, as a child, was tortured and abused by a dentist for years… give them the anesthesia. If they have not history of breathing issues, do it. I was traumatized by the sounds of dental tools, the grinding for metal on tooth, for YEARS. It took me years and over $15,000 spent with my super caring, considerate dentist to get over it. My daughter had cavities in her back teeth and we opted to do the anesthesia and it was VERY quick and easy, she doesn’t remember a thing about it. Just make sure they have the anesthesiologist on hand to be the person in charge of it. They gave her an oral medication about 30 minutes before her appointment, and that made her drowsy, and then they took her back and used the oxygen mask to put her under. They were done within 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

5 Likes

My kiddo seen one dentist and she supposedly had 6 cavities three of which needed crowns. This dentist wanted to put her under and do them all at once. I felt like you and wasn’t comfortable so I got a second opinion! Her dentist she has now found only 4 cavities which 2 needed crowns… she wanted to try and do the two little ones in the office and if she did ok then try the bigger ones that needed crowns my daughter did great without being put under and they were done in 2 visits!! It never hurts to get a second opinion!!

2 Likes

First off, don’t be so hard on yourself.!!! You all are human and cavities aren’t that big of a deal, it happens to everyone. My oldest was 5 and needed some teeth capped and the pediatric dentist done hers at the local hospital as an outpatient surgery. She was completely under and she came out of it just fine. These dentists and anesthesiologists know what dose to give to small kids. The dentist may not feel comfortable doing in it her office because of their age

2 Likes

Before my sons second birthday he was put under anesthesia.He had to have surgery on his eyes. He woke up and was playing within a few hours after the grogginess wore off.

Just went through something similar with my almost 6 year old twins. But mine are nonverbal autistic so we had them sedated under general anesthesia. It wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. See if your dentist would be willing to do a ‘dry run’ with your kids, using the drill without the bit to see if they tolerate the new sound. However, with front cavities, the novacaine shot may be more traumatizing than sedation. Good luck!!

1 Like

If you can be with them, I would highly recommend doing so. Someone recently reminded me that as parents we find ourselves trusting doctors, dentist, and all those with a degree. Some of them do not deserve our trust. Our children deserve our protection and always come first. Dont worry about offending an adult while protecting your children. Listen to your gut and act on any promptings.

2 Likes

As someone whose daughter had teeth issues from the medication I had to inject while I was pregnant, I’d be the last to judge. I asked her pediatrician, and they recommended a dentist that took care of her teeth. (And she recently lost one of the teeth that had a crown on it). (She’ll be 10 in a few weeks).

I have a 4 year old that has had extensive cavities filled at a pediatric dentist. The first dentist we went to wanted to put him to sleep and do something like 12 crowns to the tune of 5000$ out of pocket for us after insurance. Umm…no. I searched until I found an older, more conservative pediatric dentist and he has had probably 10 cavities filled including 2 silver crowns in the back. Never had any sedation. Has saved us thousands and he didn’t have an unnecessary surgical procedure.

As the lady above advised you with great advice from experience,get a second opinion! A dentist usually doesn’t do much if anything,if teeth aren’t hurting! As they will fall out if they’re baby teeth!

We only had one filled at the time but my daughter did great with just nitrous and novocaine.

If it’s a lot of work then I’d suggest the sedative. You gotta think that this child will be in chair for a hr. Laughing gas is next option.

1 Like

My youngest girl had soft baby teeth and hadn’t cavities even with great dental hygiene (which sometimes involved “help” with brushing :grin:) . She NEVER had general, they only ever used local numbing meds. No gas. Dr. Ann Pomeranz is absolutely amazing.

My Kid’s Dentist and hygienist say that most cavities are actually due to stomach acid and have really nothing to do with brushing or flossing so don’t feel so bad also I’m a nurse and I would say do a dry run with the drill and sitting still and being able to follow Direction see what happens my youngest is not 12 and he was okay with laughing gas my middle childhood 16 needed sedation so just depends on the child

My youngest daughter had cavities. They put her under and capped them and even pulled a tooth. This was all from her FIRST visit to the dentist. She went back for a second visit and they said she needed to to have surgery AGAIN!! The second time they took ALL OF THE ORIGINAL CAPS OFF!! They put all new ones on her. I took her back for her third visit and they said she would need surgery AGAIN!! I was pissed. Took her to a different dentist. They said they are all baby teeth. Unless the teeth are hurting her, they shouldn’t have done ANYTHING!! My daughter, who is now almost 8 doesn’t have cavities every time she goes to the dentist (every 6 months). She has started loosing the teeth that are capped. She has pulled the caps off of said teeth and there are NO dark spots or decay on said teeth :woman_shrugging::woman_shrugging: get a second opinion!!! Sometimes, things aren’t what they seem. Btw, my 17 year old had went to this dentist her entire dental history, and we never had a problem.

Ok, no bashing from me, but you hopefully learned a valuable lesson and it’s not to late to change! This dental visit will be the reason you tell your children that they can no longer have sugary snacks and must get into habits of brushing they’re teeth! Eat more fruits :watermelon: :apple: :banana: :strawberry: instead! Dessert is for special occasions!

1 Like

As I speak from experience don’t ever feel ashamed i did and kind of still do. But it might be genetics because two of my other kids don’t get cavities. But my other two they get cavities really bad. And also is better to put them under general anesthesia. Cuz my little four-year-old had That gas that laughing gas and he totally turned into a different person and I don’t really think that’s good. And he did fine with general anesthesia and the other child. Has both of them before fell while learning to walk and hit their front teeth pretty good on a floor and the other one on the table Edge. So they had to get all four of their front teeth capped. And they put them under general anesthesia. For the four-year-old just last month. I wanted to try the Laughing Gas to see how that would do instead of general anesthesia. And my advice is my opinion. But that gas is not good.

I felt the same way. Scared to have my kiddo put to sleep like that. And let me tell you… with my kids it was hell when they woke up!! Screaming, crying, punching, out of control both times! Mind you he’s only 4 and my eldest was 5 when his was done. Both of them had the worst experience! I always tell myself never again!

You wouldn’t believe how many toddlers have to have cavities filled. Brushing teeth is often a battle, and some kids are far more predisposed to cavities than others. You’ll be more conscientious going forward…don’t beat yourself up.

I felt the same way with my 5nyear old son who had to do the procedure! He had to get his teeth capped. My only suggestion is to remember they may come out of it kinda wonky and freaked out and just make sure you keep patient and just love on them. My sone freaked out because he wasnt expecting to wake up to a numbed mouth. But since the caps were done he no longer complains about his teeth. Going under is eay easier on them then the general numbing and the scary noises. When they go to sleep, it gets done and then boom no worries about seeing the dentist as scary

When my son was three he went though dental work and he was put under for 45 minutes and came out of it with no problems. I talked to his densit before I agreed to it and he felt it was less traumatic doing it all at once and my son is now 12 and loves going to the dentist and he don’t remember all the work that was done so no bad memories or hating the dentist

Going through the same thing with my 3yo girl our dentist gave us the option to try conscious sedation and it all went fine until he had to start filing the teeth with a drill as soon as she heard that sound she freaked out and would not hold still so he stopped because he will not force them if they are uncomfortable or scared so we are going to do the procedure with her asleep

We had our son put under and I think he was their age! He came out fine, we did promise him a bike after his surgery, so while I was going to the bathroom afterwards ! He looked up at me, looks me straight in the eyes, through Gritted teeth he looked at me , And said in a very serious tone, I want my bike

Its painful to have such a large needle in that area. It feels like they are ripping through your nasal cavities. I let my daughter use the gas to have a tooth removed and it went perfectly.

My daughter’s pediatric dentist won’t do any work on cavities because they are her baby teeth.

My son was barely 4 and sat threw having his 4 front teeth completely rebuilt. Absolutely no kinda of anesthesia. So it’s possible. Dentist might just not want to fight them and get it over with quick. But if u don’t feel comfortable, don’t do it. Ur mama, and u know what’s best.

Ask about conscious sedation, rather than general anesthesia.
My youngest had caps put on at age 3 ( gestational diabetes attacked his teeth in utero) and had conscious sedation.
So much better , recovery wise.

I put my three year old under. It was stressful but she came out of it like a champ.

My son went under for dental work when he was 4. He came out fine no problems waking up or anything.

My son had a cavity between his two teeth and since they were his baby teeth we just let them fall out naturally and his adult teeth are perfectly fine.

Concious sedation, versaid they are mildly sedated but not unconsious and they wont remember

Its not hard on them. We had our 5 yr old put under to have a few cavities done and a tooth pulled. In and out in a few hrs no biggy

These are their baby teeth? Won’t these fall out in a couple of years anyway ? Why get fillings in baby teeth ?

I would say put them under. Mine never were put under for teeth but have been for other things at young ages. My oldest was 15months the 1st time he was under.

My little girl got put under 3 times and she turned out good

If their teeth are not hurting them do nothing! These are baby teeth!

My twins both just had their cavities done and put under. They will be fine! Mine are only 5 years. Sometimes it’s easier on the kids

Better to listen to the dr . if hefelt the procedure was too risky he would not chance it . ik it is scary to let your child be sedated but i think it would be more traumatic for them to feel the shot and be able to sit still while the tooth is drilled. That can be nerve wracking for an adult . plus they do not remember anything and the teeth are all fixed . yes they might cry and be cranky after but this is temporary .just the anesthesia working out . dont make the poor kids raw dog it .

My son just used the laughing gas for his anxiety and dental work

Sorry just a question why waste money for milk teeth when they going to fall out??? Or is it just me that thinks like that.

if there baby teeth,wait 2 yrs ,there going to fall out

1 Like

Don’t fill they are baby teeth & will fall out. IMO don’t waste ur money on it

I’m sorry no experience, but praying everything goes well.

I am in the same boat. It makes you feel like such a shitty parent but some people are just prone to cavities. My doctor offered a juice that puts them underish for a little and also laughing gas. It really was up to me to choose. We may possibly put him under because his adenoids and tonsils are big but we are going to try the N2O first and go from there.

One of my children had a cavity in a “baby” tooth. My dentist said not to worry it will fall out and he will check the adult tooth…

Cavities happen so you shouldn’t feel bad sometimes its genetics sometimes the kids have really deep teeth so it is hard to get them really clean. Our daughter had the sedation done about 2 and 1/2 years ago . Let me tell you it was worth it . They had to put a crown on one molar and then they put seal on her teeth to keep them healthy. She hasn’t had any issues since .

1 Like

We tried the drink that’s supposed to make them sleepy and it actually gave my daughter the reverse effect. She was silly then angry but never actually calmed down so we ended up needing to do the anesthesia instead. Best decision ever!! The doctors were great and both of her cavities were taken care of at the same time. We were nervous too of course but I’d actually reccomend it!

My son got 2 fillings done at 3yrs. He did fine with a little numbing cream on his gums before the Novocaine injections and being sedated with nitrous oxide (laughing gas). No anesthesia necessary for him but he is a pretty obedient kid and he loved his dentist. I feel like my middle kiddo would be perfectly fine without anesthesia too because she has done fine with having labs drawn, IVs placed, CT scan, etc. My youngest on the other hand would definitely need anesthesia. It really is dependent on the child’s personality. I worked as a RN in the procedure room at a Children’s hospital for 12 years where we sedated children or put them under anesthesia every day for procedures that were much more invasive than fillings. Sedation and anesthesia are very different things. Both come with risks but sedation much less so and lots of kids do great with just nitrous and some react horribly to anesthesia, coming out of it confused and combative.

1 Like

Sedation, yes. Anesthesia, not necessarily. Probably not at all. Most preschoolers could do a dental procedure with sedation only. I think many people on this thread do not know the difference (why would they?) and are saying “put them under” but do not really mean general anesthesia. That is overkill for most quick dental proecedures. We aren’t talking oral surgery. Some numbing agents along with laughing gas and, maybe, some ativan would be more than enough in most situations. Depends on the kiddo and the experience of the provider

My daughter had to be put under when she was 5 due to cavities. It was easier to get them all done at once. Dont beat yourself up, I didnt know it at the time since it was through wic but the juice we got off it is so bad for kids teeth. Her dentist said they were fighting to have it removed because of it

1 Like

The dentist told me
It’s best to put them under so they aren’t afraid of the dentist later on

Just listen to your dentist n when my son woke he was in so much pain so take oral gel n popsicles

2 Likes

Depending on the kids if they are very nervous or hyper then sedation is the best…I use to work for a dental office and because aparent didnt follow the suggestions of the dentist the child didnt stay still and was wild with his tongue during the procedure the dentist accidentally cut the tongue with the drill…mind it was a small cut and the mother was there to witness. She understood it was an accident but this is one of many things that can go wrong with a nervous kid.

1 Like

My 5 year old was put under (when he was 3 or 4) to get his molars filled. Then my now 3 year old has been put under twice for cavities on his front teeth. My one year has some on her front teeth now but we are waiting until she is two years old to get them fixed (she will be put under). Just make sure you pick the right pediatric dentist and pediatric anesthesiologist

My daughter is in same boat… She’s been under GA for a surgery before so I’m not worried… It’s better to knock em out so they don’t feel the pain, pressure, hear noises of tools…

Do not blame yourself my son went under general anesthesia did just fine and had no idea. Loves dentist still!! Come to find out his teeth got like that because of silent acid reflux we did not find this out till years later when the acid reflux got worse and he actually had symptoms!! We always thought he was just a picky eater!!!

I have a 6yr old and he followed my in footsteps where his teeth were really close together and hes got cavities too his dentist put him on some like goofy gas to just numb the area and kinda put him out not completely and hes k and still goes back to there without fighting us

Both of my younger daughters had to have several baby teeth fixed. They went to the hospital and had all of them fixed at once. Put to sleep. Now that their older the adult teeth are great.

Put them under. They are 3 and won’t understand. It will be traumatic. It’s the easiest thing. Children and adults are not sedated heavily for dental work. It is a very light sedation. Anesthesia is much heavier for procedures such as surgery.

2 Likes

Our dentist used laughing gas on our 6 yr old. Wonder if it would work on twins. We also have 3 yr old twins. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Best to put them under since they are so little.

I worked at a hospital prepping for this.

1 Like

Cavities happen even if you brush all the time. Use the laughing gas! But if they are well behaved, don’t. My son had fillings at 3 and was fine without anything.

Let them be completely relaxed and not remember anything under anesthesia. The noises, mouth blocks, time, etc is very scary to little ones. Wouldnt want them to get hurt.

A lot of people don’t realize that milk also contains sugar. If you give a bottle before bed, teeth should be brushed after. My doctor just said to not start with toothpaste until 2 years. Is this true?

Is there a pediatric dentist near your area. My girls go to a pediatric dentist they are wonderful

They could try laughing gas or an oral sedation like ativan (each kid reacts differently to this)

My 4 yr old niece had to go under and she was fine :relaxed: They had to do that because she was already freaking out​:relaxed:

Why go through all that when the teeth will just fall out eventually

My four old did well with just the gas to get his cavity filled

Yes dental work is traumatic for little kids.

Get that shit done before it rots to the gums & really starts to bother them , it can get infected :disappointed:

My son broke his front tooth when he was that age and they had to put him under for the crown and he was ok but when his denist had to fill a cavity he only used the gas on him and they wrap him in a vest so he couldnt move. He did fine with that also. That was our denist in AZ though. I’m sure they should have the same options here.