My 4 year old is being bullied and left out, what can I do?

That shouldn’t be happening at that age… Teacher should have already fixed it

4 Likes

I hate hearing this! A fast appointment with her teacher! If that don’t help the principal, Good luck my friend, I hate when kids bully :kissing_heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

At this age the teachers are so involved. If it’s going on that much they must notice. I’ve been through this w mine before also. I spoke w the teacher it helped some, but not alot. She wouldn’t intervene when it was happening. If u don’t get anywhere w the teacher u need to contact the principal .if no where w that person then contact the district. Make noise. Make sure they know ur not looking the other way. I have fam that work in a district and the things that get pushed under the rug r awful! I hope it all works out for u and ur child. That is sad. U would think if they were watching like they should be they would notice this and step in. Especially if a four ye old is sitting alone during play time.

As a preschool teacher, kids will often take the worst 3 minutes of the day and dramatize them to being the entire day. I know it is troublesome to hear this from your kiddo but definitely calmly talk to the teacher about it. They’ll probably have a different story.

2 Likes

Na makaguol jud ning in ani ba :sob:

2 Likes

I’m a preschool teacher. Talk to her teacher. If my kids do things like this, I remind them we are ALL friends and ALL need to play together. If it keeps up, the child who is being the “bully” gets to hold my hand until we have time to have a chat about it. I will not let my kids treat anybody differently. I just started with my kids last week, and have had a couple incidents. But it seems to be getting better since I won’t allow it.

12 Likes

Go and watch. With no one knowing you’re watching. I think those littles need a lesson in kindness. This young age is a very good time for the teacher to sit them down and have the “do unto others” talk.

1 Like

One of our elementary schools has a bench near playground. It’s got two sides, one painted cute with the word “talk”… other side the word “listen”…
with the idea that if a child feels down needs a friend to talk too they sit in the talk side, if a child feels they want to help someone in need of a friend, they sit in the listen side.
The kids actually use it and it quite awesome. Every school should have one.

9 Likes

This is why I decided, even before my oldest was born, that I wanted to homeschool! He still gets social time from playing baseball, going to the library and playing at the park etc., but I can monitor that more easily being there with him :cry: I never want my kids to feel how I did. My second will be homeschooled with the same program as my first and probably even my third son and he’s due any day! It’s a sad world we’re in and if you’re not in a specific social group then you’re not accepted :pensive:

3 Likes

Explain to your child this may happen throughout her life. Some kids are just mean and those are the ones to stay away from. You don’t want her hanging with the kids who are doing the bullying then she may end up doing it unknowingly. See if she sees any other kids alone on the playground they are probably looking for friends also. Have a talk with her teacher and see if just for a while she could keep an eye out to spot the trouble makers. Sometimes with so many kids and so much happining so fast it can go unnoticed. It makes me sad my LO isn’t old enough for school yet but I couldn’t imagine how helpless you must feel​:heart::heart:

10 Likes

Definitely talk to the teacher. At this age everyone should be friends!!

7 Likes

Teaching your daughter to have the coping skills to change her own situation or deal with it. The world never changes we have to adapt to it and teaching her to do it at a young age is brilliant

8 Likes

I have worked in a school for 21 years. I have had parents say the same thing. But then they talk to the teacher and the staff and they find out the child played normally with their friends at recess. I suggest you ask the staff if they are seeing your child sitting alone. Sometimes they get their feelings hurt or get upset about something else but it usually isnt as bad as they say it is. One mom told me her daughter had no friends. A few minutes later her daughter walked up to me telling me all about her friends and how much fun she was having at school. Not sure why she told her mom the opposite at home. But it happens sometimes.

3 Likes

I’d be talking with the teacher, and if nothing is done I’d transfer classes before pulling the child out of school completely

3 Likes

My daughter was going through the same thing and it was a boy who bullied her. We switched her class and now she loved it even more. The kids in her new class are so friendly and kind and they all play together

4 Likes

Unfortunately this happened to my son as well and I switched classes and it stopped. Kids can be cruel and I notice more nowadays most kids don’t like to play with others. I’m not sure if it’s because of electronics or covid or what but it’s not a good thing.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry! That’s so hard. I would just talk to her about it and try and boost her confidence. I remember reading somewhere (I’ll see if I can find it) that at 3 & 4 kiddos already start forming cliches unfortunately:/ it’s just something they do it’s not taught or anything it just kinda happens

1 Like

There’s usually a ring leader. If your daughter is unhappy, change her school. The fact that she told you and not the teacher is concerning to me. My son was very unhappy at a private school, cried every single morning. I changed schools and it was like night and day. He’d wake up before me ready for school! Even dressed himself lol. Best decision I ever made! Good luck and I’m so sorry for your baby.

2 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My 4 year old is being bullied and left out, what can I do? - Mamas Uncut

Yes I went through the same thing (somewhat) my son had a hard time making friends and I thought it would be easy for him to considering he’s so young (exactly like you said) but kids are just different these days. They are mean. Not all, but a lot are so itseems.
I would just talk to the principal and school counselor if I were you. Maybe switch her to a different class like you mentioned.
With everything going on in the world today and my son having a hard time and crying in school all day. I just ended up pulling him out of public school and began homeschooling him.
I hope you find a solution that best fits you and your daughter. No child should feel left out like that. If I were a teacher I would try to be cautious of things like this happening.
My son told the teacher about a kid pushing him and she didn’t say anything to the kid. I feel teachers need to be more attentive to situations like this with little ones. With it being overlooked it affects everything throughout the kids school day. It makes it harder for them to focus on their work because they are in a mad or sad mood, etc. teachers and parents both need to do better. Parents need to raise respectful,nice and accepting kids.
I can go on and on about this subject. So I’ll leave it here. I hope you find a solution and your baby girl starts having better days at school :heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

I’m the mom that would take time out of my day to hang around the campus, and take notes. And at dinner time I would prepare my kid for the next day. I understand your child is 4, but life is a big class room prepare your kid for real life experiences. If you bail him out now you’ll be doing that for him forever.

3 Likes

I would start by talking to the teacher. And then if things don’t change I would say either switching classes/schools/ or homeschooling. But I would definitely recommend talking to the teacher first.

6 Likes

Have someone observe what is happening and have them see if they can help integrate her into the group

2 Likes

When my daughter 4 yo she went to a preschool. She started telling me this boy was hitting her and was mean to her. I asked the teacher if this was happening and said the boys first name. I told her my daughter said he hits her everyday. The amazing teacher said the preschooler hadn’t been to the school in 5 months. Kids can sometimes make up stuff. This is my experience

3 Likes

This is an environment the school/preschool is allowing. At my boys school they have an “all inclusive” mindset. No one is to be excluded from play if they wish to take part, and this goes from preschool up to end of primary (grade 6). Kids that small are too little to be ganging up. If it doesn’t improve then move her. She’s young and she’ll adapt.

2 Likes

I would look into an extracurricular sport for her so she can make friends there. The confidence of being good at a sport, (or even dance), will spill over to her interactions w/ others and she may befriend some of her school peers there, too.

4 Likes

I’m a pre-k teacher, and my heart is breaking! I completely agree with signing her up for extracurriculars! Also, what’s going on in that classroom? No judgment because I obviously have no way of actually knowing, but it doesn’t sound like a whole lot of adult modeling of appropriate behavior is happening. “We’re all friends here, everyone is safe here, this is your school family, we’re kind to each other, etc.” are just some of the things I say a lot. Because it starts with the teacher. Some kids, unfortunately, have bad attitudes towards others that they will sneakily let others know - that’s when I begin to assign who plays with who some days. Some kids are a bad influence on each other, so that duo gets broken up. I can’t be everyone at once but I know my kids well enough to sense what’s going on and where I need to be and when. The overall sense of community is lacking inside any classroom that anyone is being bullied in. I’m so sorry this is happening. Talk to the teacher. Look into some social emotional skill building for this age group to help build your daughter’s confidence. She can’t stay there and be bullied all year, something needs to change. Sending your family love and peace :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

3 Likes

If it were me I would talk to the teacher first. If that doesn’t help. I would look for a different preschool. It’s preschool so you have some flexibility.

Geeze then yeah transfer her dude. I’m a preschool teacher and I would never allow a child to be bullied. I would never allow a child to feel left out. The teachers are failing you and the kids are too. Any child who can be that mean to another child has something going on as well and the teacher should be addressing it. Of course it comes down to parenting but the teacher should be speaking up. I’m sorry you are going through this :pleading_face::pray:t3::heart:

End of the day though children act how they are treated at home. This kids bullying your kid are probably getting bullied at home. I’ve never met a kid who was acting out with a reason unless it was something that needed further help like mental or physical disabilities. But for your kid to be telling you that, that sucks.

You can always ask the director of the preschool to assess the classroom as well. Or report it to the state for evaluation. If your child is being bullied then there are probably others being bullied too.

1 Like

School and daycare should all have a no bully policy I would talk with teacher let her know what is happening and see if the teacher can listen closely for the ones who bully and maybe she can talk to them and tell them we don’t act this way and talk with their parents something needs to be done

1 Like

Bless her, hope you can sort it out

Talk to the counselor in the school sometimes they have programs to help kids make friends and even look at sports or track for her since they’re about team building and working together.

1 Like

Transferring out of public school saved my life as a teenager

4 years old is very young to be going to ‘school’!

Oh my god a 4 year old :sob::sob: this broke me

September is suicide prevention awareness month I would go talk to the teacher and ask if she can integrate a lesson about bullying and how important it is to be kind to other’s. This is the perfect time to take a stance against bullying and discuss the consequences it can have in an age appropriate manner.
You could even volunteer to organize a 1 week kindness week, get other parents involved and make it a huge thing.

7 Likes

That’s young and bullying wow

1 Like

Homeschool and find a good group of homeschooling families in your area to get together with.:blush:

Maybe befriend another parent and set play dates

2 Likes

Homeschooling is always best if possible.

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My 4 year old is being bullied and left out, what can I do? - Mamas Uncut

Talk to the principal as well and maybe see about switching classes or schools. Kids are rough these days. I would definitely start with the teacher and principal and see if anything changes first. I was bullied as well and learned that agreeing with them usually got them to leave me alone. If they feel like their bullying techniques aren’t working they’ll move on usually. I always felt no friends was better than mean friends but I understand wanting friends still. Hope her school year gets easier and better.

May I suggest individual play dates ? Find a mummy you get along with and invite them both for an all girl’s Day ? Xx all the best broke my heart readings this

1 Like

Wait till you talk to the teacher and talk to the principal maybe to see if they can find ways to bring eveyone together. Maybe they can have games that everyone can play or organised activities to include everyone. If nothing changes after that (id give it a few weeks before you see a change) then id look into changing schools if thats an option…

2 Likes

Speak to the teacher but perhaps the parents to, maybe explain that the little ones aren’t getting along and ask if they can help you to bring peace :v:t3: a play date with each child and both parents there, so that the kids can get to know your daughter out of the pre school environment, try and find their similar interests x

Teach him taekwondo and to stand up for himself

Change schools. Sounds like the teachers don’t care enough.

Talk to the teacher. My kids have often been asked to help their group include kids. It works. My youngest appointed friends to sit with a child who was often alone. The other kids were nervous to approach a new child. They already knew each other from an extremely child full neighborhood. The mean kids aren’t worth her time. The others just need the chance ti get to know her. If she appears happy playing by herself, the others may be curious to join her. Let her find her way. I’m sure she’s wonderful and has much to share.

12 Likes

That happened to me too in the first year of school. My mother gave me a gift to give to the ring leader to make her like me. I look back on that and think it was not the right thing to do. I later worked with children and learned in Early Childhood classes, that children can learn to speak up to the bully. The teacher should help her speak up to the bully about how she doesn’t like it to have someone speak to her that way.

30 Likes

Go visit and take some cupcakes :cupcake:. Enough for the entire class. The children will then be excited and want to be her friend after seeing how cool her mom is. Get permission first though. Prior to COVID no issues, not sure about now.

31 Likes

Speaking as a primary teacher, make sure she isn’t “reflecting” your fears and anxieties back at you. You would be amazed at how easily young children learn how to push the right buttons to gain “sympathy” (manipulation).
Check first with the teacher, but unless it becomes physically unsafe, encourage her to be brave and “brainstorm” with her about what she can do to make friends- “her” ideas ( with a little hinting from you​:wink::wink:)
Try not to encourage “running away” from the situation- facing it and solving the problem will build her confidence

110 Likes

Omg! Where are the teachers? How are they allowing this to happen?

17 Likes

Homeschooling is the way to go for sure. I definitely wish I was homeschooled. You can still have proper socialization and such but you get to protect your child from a lot more. I wish I was homeschooled. I wouldn’t be so depressed and still dealing with trauma from bullies if I was homeschooled.

8 Likes

Hang on….you’re a really good mama for listening to her and feeling for her, you are her best comfort. But let’s just hypothetically think about the opportunity here……YOU have the opportunity to change her young, malleable perception. Speak directly with her regarding work-arounds and bravery, having the courage to start speaking up, owning who she is, gaining her own confidence and ways of socializing. If you immediately take her out of the situation, you may miss a great opportunity for her to problem solve. I was just like her… and I thank God my mom kept me in public school for all 12 years. So of course I come from complete understanding. I cannot imagine how painful and scary it is to watch her work through, but you can handle that… You telling her that she is not going to let that affect her experience will teach her to…figure it out. And she will :heart: hang in there

136 Likes

I say go find friends for her outside of school she gets along with. I teach all of my kids no one HAS to play with you, everyone doesn’t like you, you don’t like everyone and that’s perfectly okay. You don’t vibe with everyone and everyone doesn’t vibe with you. Those aren’t your people and that’s okay. My son will say nope I didn’t play with anyone there " a certain place" but that’s okay those just aren’t my people and I have my people. We have to stop teaching children everyone has to like you because they don’t. People aren’t the same and it’s just as wrong to make a child play with someone they don’t get along with. encourage her to play with other kids to ask other kids to play, to look for kids playing alone and play with them. Being sad and upset that no one will play with her just enforces her to believe they have to and something is wrong with her. And that’s just not true everyone isn’t your people and that’s normal and perfectly okay. We have to be respectful but we do not have to be liked by everyone, nor like everyone.

34 Likes

You need to talk to the teacher. I was a teacher and what I would do is pick two of my kindest students and make them ambassadors of love and friendship and explain to them that everyone needs friends and that is their job. Most students come through. If not change her school, and let them know they are allowing bullying by allowing to selectively leave out a student

48 Likes

Talk to the teacher first. If she hasn’t noticed this behavior, she isn’t doing her job as well as she should. Perhaps your daughter needs a bit of help making new friends, but the teacher should pick up on this, and, at least, have a conversation with you.

3 Likes

You need to speak to the class teacher & helper and see what they have to say. Sometimes little ones get stuff twisted and it’s then easy to attach your issues to it and make it a thing that isn’t.

27 Likes

Do you go to a private daycare? Idk my daughter and son went to the YMCA & my daughter is now in preschool & I think the Y teachers did an amazing job! My daughter is almost 4(nov 3rd) and she loves sharing with her little brother (almost a year and a half) . She also loves making friends! With every body ! Everyone is always included ! No matter big or small! I encourage you to look into another school. :heart: much love to you and your daughter

2 Likes

Meet with her during recess with a fun activity and watch the other kids flock!!! Make everyone introduce themselves to one another. That should help…

1 Like

In having these conversations remember that you’re hearing a 4 year olds perspectives as told to mommy. Perhaps there’s more infirmation to be had. Sometimes young children feel left out because they don’t know how to negotiate play.
“Come play dolls with me.”
“I want to play with the trains.”
“But I want you to come play with me.”

Other children can also feel arbitrary limitations ie there are only 3 buckets so only three can build the sandcastle so the 4th “must” go elsewhere. Obviously the child could participate in other ways, but the empowerment and problem solving skills (on both sides) need some development.

To some youngsters this can feel equal to rejection. Not saying that’s what is happenning, just reminding that even though your mama bear instinct is on alert, it’s good to be open to finding out more about the situation and working with the teacher and school.

2 Likes

Invite someone from her class round for their tea and to play for a couple of hrs. Could just take abit time for the kids to settle in.

6 Likes

Be mindfully aware that you and your daughter even if you happen to be very similiar are different people. The way you feel when you remember your difficult experiences in school can effect the way you communicate with her about it. It’s up to you to set the tone of these conversations. It’s all new territory for her, doing some research here is a great idea.

2 Likes

Teach your kid skills and scripts, even at this young age. Your own experience and fear need to be tamped down so they don’t infect her. Teach her to be a leader, not a follower. She can be the initiator, start a game or an activity and ask another child to play with her. Teach her independence. Don’t transfer her, it teaches that fleeing is the best strategy. You need to talk to the teacher and the head of school about how to foster good behavior in all these kids. And yes, look at WHY your kid has become a target. Simple things like posture and body language and her interior monologs can help her. Harvard B School prof teaches her female students how to stand, sit, breathe, to create and convey centeredness and competence. Get your kid involved in activities if you can, swimming lessons, dance, karate, gymnastics, riding. Even at 4 these things help kids gain skills and confidence. Your kid can know she is enough, good enough, smart enough, and that mean kids aren’t about HER lack it is about THEIR lack. Weak and unhappy kids bully.

7 Likes

I’m not going to read all 187 comments, so I hope this isn’t repetitive. My son was a very smart child, and an only child so he was used to lots of attention. Preschool and elementary school were big adjustments for him. I suspect he was bullied more than I knew about. When he was in second grade he had a WONDERFUL teacher. His fidgeting in his seat didn’t bother her at all. She said he was getting the work done and learning just fine, and if he had to move around to do it she was ok with that. There was another boy in her class who was a lot like Mitch, and she suggested they have some play dates, which we did. They became best friends and stayed that way clear through high school and beyond. My point is, maybe talk to his teacher and ask her if there is someone she thinks would be a good fit for her, and maybe they could become friends. Sounds easy, and I know it isn’t always, but if she has a nice friend she will be less likely to be bullied. Strength in numbers. It breaks my heart that your little girl is having trouble with other kids. They can be SO mean. I hope you can find a solution that works for you. I thought I would tell you what worked for us. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had a similar thing happen with my daughter. I ended up talking to her teacher and it turned out it was on boy picking on her and getting everyone else to do it as well.

We switched her class this year so he’s not with her and this year has been much better! I hope it works out :disappointed: it is awful seeing your babies hurting

2 Likes

Talk to the teacher the teacher should be aware of what’s going on specially at this stage pre k teachers are often with the kids she should off notice this behavior towards your child

5 Likes

I’m guessing she’s the only child and sometimes the only child doesn’t like to share and can be bossy. We tend to give in when there’s only one child. So sometimes we have to look at our on children and ask why are they going through these hard times. Sometimes it’s there fault and sometimes it’s not. Look at both sides and be patient….

9 Likes

“Bullying” is a word that a four year old will learn from adults without real comprehension. They don’t truly understand what bullying is until about mid to upper primary age. However, the more you use the word the more they will believe that they are being bullied. You can put her in the best preschool in the world and there will be kids that come from homes with marriage/financial/health etc. issues (and therefore will take their frustration out on others) or in some cases, kids with special needs that won’t interact with her the way she wishes. You as a parent has no control over that, and teachers certainly can’t control other children’s home lives. As long as you want her to be in a social setting, this will always be the way she feels towards others, because she is reflecting your anxiety and insecurities that you carry through your childhood, and as long as you believe you were a victim, she always will believe that she is stepping into the real world as first and foremost, a victim of others’ wrongdoing. Because that is how you feel. She could feel this way for the rest of her life. Heal your inner child first, take care of your own mental health first, then your child will learn from you.

1 Like

Well here’s the thing. She is 4. Talk to the teacher before you totally believe her. Kids tell stories. It would be odd if every single kid in class signaled out your kid. At that age they usually want to play. Ask her why they won’t play with her. I’m not saying don’t be your kids advocate but you need to find out both sides of the story. The teacher could help include your daughter or find her a buddy.

4 Likes

Also a possibility that she is bullying the other kids and no one wants to be around her because of that. It’s not usual that an entire class would bully one person for no reason. Maybe ask your daughter how she behaves towards them first. Ask her teacher if they have seen how she treats them, as well as how they could be bullying her. Sometimes if they are an only child, or the parents haven’t taught them how to behave in public, other children who do have those skills pick up on who they should avoid and tell to go away or leave them alone. This kind of sounds like your situation

27 Likes

This is my daughter … well for what she tells me. She’s quite Strong willed and children usually finds it hard to find friends this way

4 Likes

Usually u can go volunteer in the classroom and go see for yourself what’s going on

4 Likes

This breaks my heart that it’s happening at such a young age. :sob: my worst fear with my babies. I really hope it gets better for your daughter no one should go through that

1 Like

My son was bullied like this through k to 2nd grade (3rd was all online because covid). This year (4th) seems to be better. But I talked to the school. They didn’t do much. I just made sure he felt a large amount of love at home.

1 Like

Maybe invite some classmates over for a fun afternoon on the weekend so they can make friends?

2 Likes

my step daughter wasn’t bullied to this extent that I know of but she would complain that she did not have friends… then we came by to pick up and 3 kids were happy to see her and said hi but she ignored them. So I realized that she did not have a “best friend” and that’s what continued to upset until she found one at the end of 4th grade. We found out children did tease at her hair and clothes but tried to fix immediately as much as we could (couldn’t control how she left at others people’s home)… talk to her… ask the teacher if you can help with class and see what’s going on… if they are truly being mean, you can always talk to their parents and then if the behavior does not correct then she might need to be moved to another class. I wish you the best. It’s really hard.

1 Like

Well many of you won’t like what I’m about to say… Because of cheetos many people think that they can say whatever do whatever so I would go to the school talk to the teachers/principal with the child’s parents and tell if he/she touches my child I’m going to be the BULLY!

1 Like

Tell her teacher you want to visit the class for a few hours & YOU can chat & smile & make friends & compliment the other kids. Kids respond well when you’re so sweet to them. Giving positive makes positive. The bullies learn kindness & will love your kid……Visit once a week!:bear:

Buy her some penny candy individually wrapped not gum when some of the kids see her eating candy they will ask her for a piece have her give them some let this go on for a couple weeks by then they will be her friend then slowly take it away if that doesn’t work show her how to punch something the same height as her Face like one of her big stuffed animals have her practice punching it as hard as she can that’s the last resort but once she knocks one of those kids on their ass the others probably won’t bother her anymore a bully does not want to fight they just want to scare you

2 Likes

I’d talk to the teacher and the parents of these children… and if does not get any better, transfer her somewhere else. No child deserves to go through this and especially so young. This literally breaks my heart and its my biggest fear.

Maybe she is just shy with the other kids & doesn’t join in. Needs to be more outgoing. I don’t know how you make that sort of thing happen.

One of my twins use to come home saying the same things but anytime I was at the school I would often see him playing and having fun with other kids. Turns out he was just focusing on the negative. Like when others didn’t want to play what he wanted to at that moment or when he wanted to play but was too scared to ask them if he could join. All he needed was to be reminded of the positive experiences, he’s now 8 and still needs reminded sometimes.

My son had one of those benches at his school, the one where if you have No one to play with you sit on it & someone will come & ask you too play… I remember him once telling me “I sit there every day mum but no one ever comes…” it just about broke my heart. He way in year 1. My daughter now in PP came home her first week & said people were teasing her & didn’t want to play with her… broken again. Both times I spoke to their teachers about the issue & turns out they were playing with kids at school :woman_shrugging: the teacher wasn’t aware of them feeling like that, so kept an eye out for me. Of course the bullying she nipped in the bud straight away. Now they both have plenty of friends :blush: we still have the occasional bad day but give it time x

1 Like

First thing I would do is talk to the teacher. It may be they felt that way, but at this age they are still learning appropriate behaviors and words.

I wasn’t bullied but the kids would not play with me unless I brought candy thy next year I just decided I wasn’t going to give them candy to play with me and hung by myself or other kids no one wanted to play with worked for me wasn’t popular but they were true friends

I was bullied too,
I would speak to the educators at the preschool and get them to keep an eye out for what’s going on and to give extra help for her to mingle better with the other kids.

I just try to prep my son that not everyone is nice, if someone isn’t nice to you , find another friend, the main thing is that ‘you’ are the nice kid.
At the moment my son is saying your not my best friend when his angry and I’m trying to explain that it is rude to say that.

I feel for you.

It has been such a year! Lets really buckle down on teaching social emotional soft skills on how to handle kids that dont want to play with you, and what to do when feelings are hurt. Kids dont always know at that age how to verbalize what is hapoening. Talk with the teacher, they will help any number of ways

Talk with the teacher first and see if the teacher is noticing any issues. How does your daughter get along with others outside of preschool? This is a teaching moment for Life. If the teacher sees no problems, the teacher will now know to make a move to set up a positive situation. It will also be a cnlgance for you to teach your daughter to be a bit assertive and to go join a group. We cannot approach every situation as Good or Bad. There are too many nuances to assume anything. Give her some skills for her to use in her life. That will also include that some time people don’t want to play, go find another group.

1 Like

What social skills are they learning at the school if 4yr olds are mean & in cliques? Maybe a look deeper at the school.
When our child was dealing with difficult recess times we encouraged them to continue on to activities they enjoyed on their own.
Typically another child would soon join. We reminded them to look back at those times on rough days.
If its a rough day & they decided to take a time out for themselves we acknowledged their self care to rest

I taught pre-first years ago, where the kids were generally 5-6 yrs. old. I had one very shy little girl in my class who would sometimes walk the playground holding my hand. I knew that she was too shy to ask the other girls if she could play/join in. I asked her if she would like me to ask for her. I did, it worked & she was good to go from then on. I too was very shy growing up, so I could totally relate.

Kids that sit alone and stay away from everybody become the smartest kids but anyways go talk to the teacher and principal and if they dont do nothing go to the district but dont change schools my daughter was bullied also but me the big bad wolf went and called the school and they had a chitchat with the kids and now they all get along so your baby is important let her know that ok

Don’t sook her up or take her out. Talk to the teacher. Teach her coping skills. She is only 4. Don’t let your insecurities effect her experience. Life is full of shitty people, better to learn now, rather than when it’s harder and more awkward for them, later on. X

1 Like

So my son was going threw a similar problem
He has a strong personality
And all I could think of
Was putting some candy in his lunch bag as a conversation starter and now he has friends lol
He no longer takes candy but it helped him socialize with the other kids
He homeschooled last year so it was already a transition in itself
Us moms gotta get creative these days
And if all else fails
Transfer or homeschool
Nothing wrong with that
It’s betters to know that your child is in a safe place both physically and mentally then traumatizing them on a daily basis

Be more proactive, than so called reactive. I’m sorry to say that I’m picking up some parent infused negativity from you, possibly being subconsciously projected onto your child. I think that unfortunately more of the problem is with you, rather than with your child and her peers. Start scheduling some play time for your child where you take them to a public playground where other little kids are playing and set back, watch from and distance and evaluate the situation first hand. If the other children at her school are the same age, i doubt very seriously if they are purposely ignoring her. If at all possible even volunteer at her school if it is allowed and you have the time, so you can see exactly what is going on for yourself. There are those rare occasions where one or two children may bring bullying mentalities from home, but extremely rare for all of the children to team up against a particular child for no reason at all.

When my son started school he was very shy and took him a good six months to make friends. He use to hang out with the teacher on duty at lunch and recess. I feel your pain as I was devastated thinking he will never have friends. But he now he has his mates, it just took a while x

Chat to teacher to see if she talk to class about involving and play with all class mates at lunch time .or even if they have a buddy system.
Went my youngest started prep I worry about her making friends .but her teacher was wonderful and got them to buddy up for the year … no child should be left out .my heart break for ur daughter…if u can arrange a play date at the park with othere mums and the kids and chat to them also

I had a dame parent laugh at me and my spical needs kids I know how u feel start with the teacher and my son is getting bullied too

Find a martial arts center and enroll her … It’ll help with self confidence and self-esteem and self discipline … She will feel happier