My 6-year-old daughter is scared of her room: Advice?

Need advice because right now I’m at a loss. My daughter is six years old and for some reason, is scared of her room. She just got a brand new bed and will still come into our room a few times a night, saying she is scared. I can’t keep her lamp on because then she won’t go to sleep at all. I got her a big new LED night light, didn’t help. I just hung Christmas lights up in her room for extra light, had her help me check for ‘monsters’ under her bed, and her closet, and she still came to me tonight and said she was scared, and I have no idea why. I don’t like her sleeping with me unless she has a bad dream or if she is really not feeling good because I want her to have that independence of sleeping in her own bed, especially at her age. But I can’t figure out what to do to stop her from being scared. (which there is nothing to be scared of)

14 Likes

Following, same problem here!

1 Like

Put on some white noise like a fan or soft rain sounds. Same problem with my son for awhile. I think it was too quiet. They hear every noise and crack so can be creepy to a kid. Lol

3 Likes

We have monster spray! (Bottle water lavender few sequins) my boy gets in bed nd a squirt where he wants me too worked for a while now because mister don’t like nice smelly things :wink:

2 Likes

Is it all bc of the new bed? If so then there’s nothing wrong with telling her she’s being ridiculous and getting punishments for coming out of her room after lights out.

3 Likes

We got some monster spray. Doesn’t matter what you spray so long as they can’t read the label. Let them help spray CBC under the bed an all around. This spray will keep monsters awY from the room

I had the same problem when my son was about the same age and asked a sleep therapist what I could do. He told me to hang a couple of dreamcatcher up in his room and believe it or not it worked. I was amazed.

I used to go through a “search ritual” with my son every night. We’d look under the bed together. See? No monsters. We’d look in the closet. The toughest. No monsters. Then he’d go to sleep.

I moved my daughter into my room. Just her bed…I let her decide when she was ready transition…

1 Like

Weird question but are you diffusing/using lavendar in her room? It CAN have a reverse effect t on some. It cause my son to have horrendous nightmares that started about that age. Hes now 8, almost 9 and we still cant use it!

The toy chest. Wherever he wanted to look.

1 Like

I have an led nightlight that plays ambient sounds. But I also gave my daughter a very special scary stuffed animal, whose only job is to eat bad guys.
And I tell her to call our dogs cause they will help.
But I always let them into my bed. They will only be little for long and I may lose sleep, but momma is always there for hugs.

3 Likes

Are you religious? Have a priest come and bless your home, every family member and in particular your daughter.

2 Likes

Smudge her room with sage. It helps cleanse the energy

6 Likes

She will eventually go to sleep with lamp on

Monster spray works miracles!

1 Like

Try diffusing lavender, reading to her, possibly a weighted blanket and I would put a salt lamp in her room!!

I was scared as a little girl and we didnt know why. Not even me. My mom didn’t do much in the way of comforting, and I eventually got past it. Not saying that’s the right way to handle it but…

Get a spray bottle and put some essential oils, lavender/eucalyptus/ylang ylang/mandarin/Jasmine, all have calming effects, mix with water and when she gets anxious tell her to spray a few sprays and take some deep breaths. Ypu can tell her it’s a prescription to take away the salaries( you can ever get creative and print a sticker that has the prescription on it!. The scents will sooth and calm her and her deep breaths will calm her also

5 Likes

She could just have separation anxiety, my son did he is five, maybe just stay in the room till she falls asleep, I let him have his tv on at night it seems to do the trick he has lapses here and there but it’s working out for the most part

1 Like

it could be shadows she’s scared of. new bed new angles of shadows. I taught my 5 year old hand puppets with shadows and watched a curious george episode about shadows too b

Has she maybe seen anything scary lately by accident? Or at a friend’s? I was 6 when my dad fell asleep with the TV on and the next movie was a scary one. I had so much trouble sleeping alone after that.
Could it be the change of a new bed? Anything different about this bed than the last one?
Could also just be a phase. Try melatonin, white noise/ambient sounds, and definitely sit down and talk about it-about what she’s afraid of, that monsters aren’t real, etc. My parents never did and I think that would have helped a lot.

Can you sleep on the floor in her room for a few nights to make her comfortable there? Maybe give her a worn shirt that smells like you to have in her bed.

Get a water bottle, put some chunky glitter in it with monster spray (febreze) have her spray around her room at night.

2 Likes

My brother had a hard time at that age. He’s even talked about it as an adult. His dreams were so scary and seemed real. I think its normal. Ask her about it. Come up with a solution together. My mom would run his back till he feel back asleep. :two_hearts:

Smudge her room leaving one window open so whatever it is can leave send cake and Crimson Sage fill a spray bottle with hot water and put the sage in Shakewell leave it in her room and tell her it’s monster spray that if she sees something to shake the bottle and spray it see if that helps relieve her fears

4 Likes

If she is scared of “monsters” make a monster be gone spray. Can use whatever she/you want.
If its the dark or quiet let her pick out one of the light up musical stuffed animals and tell her it will protect her. Or even do both.

Could be having bad dreams . Have u tried reading her a book and laying in her room for a little . She could also just want to sleep with you

1 Like

Maybe, just maybe, there might b a ghost. Seriously children r very sensitive to their surroundings. They sense things that r not right quicker then an adult. I suggest you sage your home, or have your house blessed. Talking from experience

6 Likes

Get her a dog or cat.

Monster spray!!! Take a water squirt bottle, put some glitter in it, maybe a couple drops of essential oil like lavender, and have her spray her room down!! Worked for my girl!

Make monster spray! I used a clear as possible squirt bottle, mostly water, sparkles, and a tiny bit of smelly something like febreeze or citrus oil, whatever you prefer that wont stain. (not enough to be overpowering if she sprays it in the night, but enough that she can smell it if she sprays it,) explain the smell keeps the monsters away for longer so she doesnt have to spray as much.

1 Like

We are very firm about our 5 year old sleeping in his own room. He sometimes tells us he is scared but we just remind him that monsters are NOT real. We dont check for monsters. We just tell him they arent real and anything bad that could happen we can protect him from. He usually goes oh ok and lays down with a movie playing. He gets that for about an hour then we shut it off and he has a night light.

Is this new behavior? Has it been since the new bed? Is the new bed different than her old bed(bigger? Higher?)? Does she spend time in her room in the daytime and only afraid at night? Continue checking her room every night, shut her door while you are in there and turn her light off and show her the shadows and explain what they are and turn the light back on so she can see that they might look different in the dark but they are nothing to be scared of, they are just “xyz”. Give her a flashlight to sleep with so if she sees a shadow she can shine a light on it to see what it is. Use a white noise machine. As frustrating as it will be, walk her back to her bed with little interaction every time she comes in your room. If it’s for attention and she knows she can’t sleep with you then eventually it should stop.

Have a dog or cat sleep with her so she isnt alone! My son is 8 and still loves sleeping with the dog even if they sleep on the floor.

Did she perhaps watch a monster movie or someone scared her with monsters,if not switch rooms with her since she’s running to you room

When my 5 year old daughter wakes up in the middle of the night, there is no way she can go back to sleep in her room, i would have to take her lay down next to me. Just hoping she will sleep thru.

Have here confront the monster have her tell it to leave or daddy’s going to put a cap in its butt ( only bones fans will get this reference)

I remember when I was little I got scared…my mom told me to go back to bed because nothing is wrong and I’m safe and fine. Just a bad dream…she would take me back to bed and leave the door open and the hall light on , but there was no sleeping in her bed, I had my own. Lol. Every time. Not saying that’s the right way to deal with it, but I was over it within a month or less.
Maybe just reassuring her that’s shes fine. You get up, make her go pee, get her a drink of water, have a light on in the hall and leave her door open.
You can try the oils in a spray bottle and "monster " spray (or whatever she says shes afraid of).
Have you asked her what is so scary? Have you asked for those little details?
Talk to her…see what she says and go from there.

1 Like

When I was little my parents always let us come sleep with them if i was scared. Nothing wrong with that. But then when i had kids my youngest slept with me until she was 16 lol. Put a little crib matress on the floor next to your bed and let her sleep there if she is scared. We all need comfort at different stages of our life.

3 Likes

the spray is a good idea. Tell her that she has guardian angels. They are always watching over her and they fight the monsters to keep her safe. If you believe in angels, not everyone does, but I do! So do what you believe is right, angels are real and they do exist! If buy a book about angels and read it before bed. It will give her comfort knowing someone is watching out for her… And people don’t understand and say it is ridiculous to believe in God. It helped me when I was little, especially when I felt alone!

1 Like

One day it will stop and you will miss it…but I still bitch about it when I’m getting kicked led in the back…lol

When me and my older sister were little we’r had anxiety and couldn’t sleep at night unless someone was in the room with us. We didn’t know what we were scared of either, we just knew we were scared. It always helped to have someone sit with us until we fell asleep.

Go into that room and say the following with a serious voice " Whoever/Whatever is in this room scaring my daughter is to leave Right Now, She is my child I am the owner of this property & will protect her & this house Now leave this house and leave my child alone!" Do it at night when this is going on. This is called banning a spirit from your home. Then smudge it. I had to do this in my kids room & haven’t had a problem since

6 Likes

Let her sleep with you when she wants. They grow up too soon

2 Likes

Put some colored (red or blue) rope lights under the bed they will create a soft glow and tell her monsters are afraid of that color of lights. Then get a spray bottle and write monster spray on it, fill with water and spray her room every night at bed time and let her keep it by her bed. If that doesn’t work you might have a :ghost:.

3 Likes

My 3.5 year old started doing that and we asked if she’d feel safe sleeping g with the dog in her room and that’s saved us a lot of sleepless nights.

1 Like

I made ‘monster’ spray and my 2 youngest used it REGULARLY…new spray bottle, water a just a little bit of downy (fabric softener) and we sprayed that EVERYWHERE…and I mean EVERYWHERE! We started in the closet, then the bed, then under the bed, the door way, the floor, the curtains/window sill and eventually it was carried out to the hall and bathroom. (Because monsters per and poop too) lol. We did that for years. But it worked!

When my daughter went through this stage I made a “fairy spray” using essential oils (lavender, orange and patchouli). We sprayed it each night and had dream catchers hanging in her room. I told her that the fairy spray and dream catchers meant only good dreams/good things can come in :blush:

My mom made something like this for me when I was young. It calms their mind and it smells good and isn’t a chemical that will make them sick to breathe it.

My 9 year old twins :face_with_hand_over_mouth: I don’t care if the sleep with me till there 18 I love it. One day I’m gonna miss it when there this small. I get it tho sometimes we “need” our time too.

1 Like

My daughter did this too. Started around 4
the only thing that helped besides constantly putting her back in her bed was sitting on the couch while she ate a banana. Sometimes put the tv but that didnt keep her awake. Some kids it does. We would wait about a half hour and then back to bed she would go. It wasnt perfect and yes some nights I left her on the couch because even though it wasnt her bed it wasnt mine. I have 6 kids. My 2 yr old is in my room. Not my bed though. When she wakes I go on the couch with her too.

1 Like

Maybe find something to fill the void under the bed some old blankets, under bed boxes, just store something under there so you can say there is no way anything is under there cause it’s full of our storage stuff or whatever. Good luck.

I used a red light… doesn’t leave shadows and low enough wattage doesn’t keep them awake…

1 Like

Tell her your going to make the bad go away in her room that scares her … get some sage ( that you can burn ) open the window and have her repeat after you … " this is my room you cant scare me anymore ( moving the sage though out the room and moving it to the open window ) this is my room , go to the light and keep doing it until you have reached the window … then say together you are free to go to the light and anytime you wake me up again my mom will help me send you to the light again this is my room now … :yes I know it sounds off the wall but my now 23 year old use to see people in her room at that age one of which she played with … I’m not one that believes in ghost but I do believe there are spirts among us and this could be what she is seeing … or try the monster spray … I used monster dust aka flour for grand daughter and told her that the only monsters I had in the house was her … that works too

Bad dreams or monsters under the bed… a child can scene things good and bad. I’d smudge her room and pray :heart::pray:

You might take her to an counselor. There might be something else bothering her.

She may just be awake and a little lonely and just wants to be with you and is using “fear” to get some cuddle time (my daughter is notorious for this)
We have a little cuddle time before bed now and that seems to help.

Sleep in her room a few nights to see if anything happens in there. Have her sleep in your room to see if she still comes to you in her room.

2 Likes

PEACE BE UNTO YOU ALL!!!
I’m Dr Tega the mighty spell caster Priestess that can solve your problem within 49hours. i have been a spell caster for more than 15 years now and my work speak greatly for me. you can contact me be below or contact me through my private page
(1) If you want your ex back.
(2) You want to be promoted in your office
(3) If you want a child.
(4) If You want tie your husband / male so he will concentrate on only you …
(5) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever
(6) if you want to stop your divorce.
(7) if you want to divorce your husband.
check out my page and contact me via WhatsApp +16316377351
immediately for all your problems and predicament to be solved within 49hours

2 Likes

Make monster spray! Just use water and an essential oil for fragrance. Have her spray it around her room to keep monsters out. You could also get some carpet deodorizer powder and have her sprinkle it on her floor to invite good things into her room instead.

5 Likes

Pacing a sound machine that cont. plays nature sounds will help, or soft music.

2 Likes

wind chimes outside their window!

sleep with her for a few hours n show her der is nothing to be afraid u can also give her a teddy bear or a doll n tell to hold her doll wen she is scared

1 Like

Have you asked what is making her scared ? Could be shadows , or sounds . Maybe some quite music in her room , let her choose what she wants to hear. Could probably drown out outside noises. My grandkids was scared In my sons old room . I slept in the room one nite and saw what they saw. When the light above the bed was turned off it looked like two big eyes :eyes: staring down on them . After that I only used a dim light . Praying for your little one and you .:slightly_smiling_face:

Get a lLte-Brite for them at Christmas to make peg pictures with that glows before bed to make all the boogies go away!

I was afraid of the dark for a long time. Sleeping with my mom wasn’t an option. I got a Big teddy bear for Xmas one year and used that to push against my back while I slept on my sides. I also had stuffed animals all over the wall side of the bed and around my feet. I felt secure with those and a night light. I still have that bear and gave it to my daughter:)

1 Like

Burn some sage. Do you have any pets? If yes tell your child that it will protect them that they eat monsters etc…

1 Like

Sounds like to much tv and screen time…tell her no more tv until she can monsters r fake on tv…

1 Like

I recently had this issue with my 5 year old and all I had to do was teach her coping mechanisms when she gets scared. She didn’t know how to calm herself. I think as parents, we sometimes forget that we have to teach them a lot of things that we may have thought came naturally.

2 Likes

Have you tried asking her why she is scared?

Id also look into cleansing her room to banish/ ward off any negativity and unpleasant “ickies”

Dont bring up the word monster or scared only makes it worse. Unless she figures out those words herself. Keep walking her back to her bed every time she comes out eventually will give up.

We put a sleeping bag on the floor and told our child they could sleep there if they woke up during the night. No disturbing sleeping parents.

3 Likes

If shes scared of monsters under the bed and in the closet make a “monster spray” old windex bottle with water and essential oil with a homemade monster spray label. Spray it at night before bed

2 Likes

Get light strip or two that can go around her bed underneath it like the ones that are on the sides of TVs and the Christmas lights. Plus whatever reglion you are use to bless/ clean her room.

You can make a "monster " spray out of lavender oils and water in a mister bottle

1 Like

Put a fan in her room boom :boom: miracle ! Lol

I got my daughter this and it helps a lot. It even has nature sounds. She’s 6 and we have been going through the same thing.

Take her to a therapist, maybe why she has bad dreams

Try laying with her until she falls asleep or let her fall asleep in your bed and then carry her to her own bed

Did you ask her what she’s scared of?

1 Like

Maybe she’s not really scared? Maybe she just uses it as an excuse to be at your side. Maybe the real issue is something else such as separation anxiety or a similar issue

I use to have spirits in my bedroom when I was a child and was scared , I thought they were monsters too. I was probably 15 before I didn’t see or hear them again

Cleansing her room will help and make sure she is in there with you and open her window and she will sleep in there there is something in her room that is drawing negative energy away from her so put positive back in her room after you are done her room do the whole house top to bottom good luck momma

My daughter is 9 and still usually sleeps with us. I dont see a problem with it, its your child you should want them close especially since they dont stay small forever. Unless you and your significant other wants alone time :wink: then you should let your child sleep with you but that’s just my opinion. But when my daughter is in bed with us and we want some alone time we just go to the living room we work around it! My husband works graveyard so its nice having my baby there next to me at night but also because she runs hotter than I do so shes my heater :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You can for a few nights stay in her room til she goes to sleep. Talk to her about the importance of having her own room n bed(which she is lucky cuz other lil girls her age dont even have their own bed). Kids get to the point they like sleeping with their parent, and feel safe making everywhere else scary. Have her play in her room, make it enjoyable and before you know it she will go to bed herself. Also really talk to her an see what is bothering her.

1 Like

Pray for her safety and the safety of her room. Sometimes the devil messes with me i always have to ask him to leave my house. Esp when i feel how she feels. And jus continuously pray for it.the power of Prayers;
Prayers go along way

7 Likes

Have you actually asked her what she is afraid of? If you know what she’s afraid of you might actually be able to resolve this issue and you have to listen to what she’s telling you not just hear what she’s telling you

3 Likes

My son is 4 and has the same issue. I set up an extra twin bed in his room and I " lay with him" until he falls asleep. Sometimes they just need you close to feel secure.

2 Likes

Has she told you what she’s scared of? If she’s telling you she’s scared then listen to her.

1 Like

This is so hard. Try laying down with her till she falls asleep. If she gets up take her back to her room and lay down till she falls asleep again. May take several attempts but she will eventually stay in her bed. Do some fun things in her room so she gets more used to it and feels more at home in it.

3 Likes

I completely understand this, went through it with all 3 of my kids, nobody ever slept in their own beds or rooms, so I don’t really have any advice, but just a thought, maybe a baby monitor, where she can have you right on the other end of she feels the need to call you?

My daughter is 9…And she still sleeps with me from time to time… I do understand you want her to have that independence, but as she gets older (teen) she will…I can recommend trying an essential oil such as lavender to calm her & to soothe her to sleep…But cherish her while she’s still young, it won’t last long♥️

2 Likes

Something or someone is scaring your child!!! Who lives in your house? Setup a camera in her room and the hall outside her room. Believe your child!

1 Like

Find out what she’s scared of and try to work around it… You could try laying down with her til she falls asleep or have her lay in your bed til she’s asleep and then move her to see if that helps… You could try a pouch of salt between her mattress and box spring to ward off anything evil that may be spooking her

Buy one of those lights that make the ceiling look bnb like outerspae.

Not sure if this will help, but I’ve seen before that you can take febreeze and pour it in a clear plastic spray bottle and either draw or print something saying MONSTER SPRAY and tape it on. Its worth a try if monsters are part of her problem.

3 Likes

when my son now 34 was little he said there were monsters under his bed. my sister sent him a huge stuffed bear he named me bear. Mr bear ate monsters. later when my daughter came a long she had witches in her closet, Mr bear ate witches too. when my son was 17 the house burned down. all that survived was me bear, no scorches, no burns, just missing an eye. he now wears a patch.

3 Likes

Reward systems always go great in my house. She sleeps in her bed one night, then the next she gets a special treat(one she doesn’t normally have all the time.) Then that night you say ok well you have to sleep two nights in your bed and you get another surprise in two days. I know that’s not the best parenting, but whatever works. My 6 year old daughter does well with the reward system. Now I’m not saying to continue it forever, just ween it off.

1 Like