My 6-year-old has been caught sneaking out several times: What can we do?!

She’s only 6. Get her on a schedule and don’t let her have phones at night to stay up all night on. Could also try a door alarm. It will go off when she opens it at night

6 Likes

First every door need a new lock were you need a key to get out.

1 Like

There are kids melatonin gummies that you could try - I just saw them in the store the other day.

2 Likes

Door alarms and put all locks too high for her to reach, even with a chair. Start there.
No naps. Reset her schedule for bed. Make sure she’s tired.
Also, get a journal and wrote her sleep schedule every night.
Goes to bed at…
Wakes up at…
Behaviors at night…
Also add what she eats. Studies show stopping certain foods, gluten and red dyes can help bc of how their brain breaks it down.

1 Like

Lock her room door from the outside or keep her with you

2 Likes

There’s something wrong with this child. This isn’t normal behaviour. Get to your GP and get some referrals for some help before something serious happens

6 Likes

Try putting a alarm or she can’t see it so that you know when she’s opening her bedroom door or where ever she gets out!

We just got Ring door and window sensors because my 3rd child is a handful (2yrs old) we can not keep him inside no matter the temp or weather…3 times of him setting the alarm off and so far so good, he has not done it in a week now!! He would run out in a pull-up in the cold or if I was in the shower and id have to run out in a towel after my other 2 telling me right away… Our playroom is in the basement which leads to the fenced backyard thankfully but it was still too much for my anxiety and now I feel a ton better knowing if he opens that door I will know instantly without having to block/lock up high incase there was ever a fire as my oldest sons room is down there as well!!

Until you get professional help, Try melatonin gummies for kids. My kids would be up until 1-2a if it wasn’t for the gummies.

Lock her windows put the bar in at the top so if she unlocks it she cant open it and put a lock on the outside of her door. She can knock or put a potty in her room. She needs to be evaluated ASAP.

1 Like

Shes an insomniac and the going to bed too early to make up for sleep deficit becomes a contributing factor. Have her tested properly also for sleep apnea too because they don’t have to be overweight or have asthma to have severe apnea which can present with dry mouth, extreme tiredness upon waking. Cut back her adhd medications immediately and also reduce or cut out all lollies, biscuits, soda etc and encourage more water, dairy etc. She may need more play activities, sports etc to tire her out naturally. She’s highly inquisitive, resourceful and fearless so learning new things new hobbies together ought to be encouraged immediately.

1 Like

Try lose dose Ambien or respiritdole birth ADHD sleep meds been on both worked good got up good too in the mornings as they got better in tune with me def see about those as a test run.
I never snuck out but I feel you’re worry

Adhd can often be mistaken for autism. Found that out when my daughter was tested for adhd and I was so SURE she had it, which she does, but also found out she’s autistic as well. Which I wouldn’t have guessed in a million years… She might not be able to fully grasp the concept of the consequences for her actions. Could this be a possibility in your case?

3 Likes

Sounds like it’s time to install deadbolts that take a key from both side and screech alarms on the doors and windows

2 Likes

My mom had this problem with me when I was little. From age 4 to 7, I’d sneak outside as early as 4am, every day, and would go knock on my friends door to see if she could come out and play. I’d be in my nightgown and would have crayons and a coloring book with me. They put locks on the outside of my door and locks on the top of the living room doors to keep me in. Sadly, I got around every lock. Thank GOD it was always a neighbor who saw me and would bring me home. Sometimes I’d wander the neighborhood. Other times I’d wander the alley looking for cats to pet. Most times I was on the corner waving at people in my nightgown. I remember it all well. I thank God for keeping me safe.

I recommend locks she cannot reach, even though kids are witty. I especially recommend an alarm system that will trip every time she opens a window or a door. She will outgrow this… you can lecture her til you’re blue in the face, it won’t phase her. It didn’t phase me. At that age, you’re simply not aware enough to really realize the danger. Good luck mama.

At six years old doing this you’re gonna have your hands full mama

2 Likes

Could you not try bolts at the tops of the doors that can’t reach was going to say a stair gate but would probably be able to open that think some kind of light sensor or alarm might work

I feel this in my soul!! I had undiagnosed ADHD my whole life, I’m 31 now. The sleep stuff was TOUGH!! But nobody knew!! Possibly try the stimulant in combination with a non stimulant, and maybe a cup of coffee after dinner. I drink espresso when I can’t sleep.
As far as sneaking out, get an alarm system and maybe a few cameras or some locks for the top of the exterior doors and windows that she can’t reach.

3 Likes

get better locks. And an alarm system that goes off when the door or window is open might help as well.

Kelly Moskal
Girl, 6? :flushed::flushed:

1 Like

Sounds like you have a little more than ADHD going on. With just this little bit of information, I would suggest looking at her current meds. If that isn’t the problem there are more issues going on. I’m leaning towards oppositional defiance.

You can get a simply safe alarm system and set it on the “home” setting. As long as she doesn’t have the code, it will go off if she opens the door.

Melatonin? Also stage a whole kid napping. I know it sounds extreme but it sound like you love your daughter and are at your wits end and have done EVERYTHING a great parent can do.

I was a wanderer especially in stores in elementary school. One time I wandered off in Walmart to the toys. My dad snuck up behind me snatched me covered my mouth and ran with me out the store I literally almost peed myself. I was kicking and panicking. I was so terrified I couldn’t speak.

I NEVER WANDERED OFF EVER AGAIN‼️

1 Like

I locked my son in his room every night as soon as I became aware that he was climbing out of everything and getting out IN THE HOUSE while we slept. You don’t need a doctor. Keep a baby monitor on and Lock your freaking doors!

I would get some blink motion cameras from Amazon they work great. They sent you alert on your phone when they detect motion

Get her off meds and look up natural remedies for dealing with ADHD. These meds are so awful for these kids. They cause so many other issues. She is 6, get her moving and active. Dance class, karate, swimming. And set strict schedule and get her on a clean diet. No artificial foods, food dyes in foods are so bad and can cause all the same behaviors you see in kids with ADHD.

5 Likes

Get door and window sensors for her room and your house. Maybe some type of 2 way lock for the inside of the doors, even though it isn’t fire code friendly, you might be able to find a safety alternative. For the adhd, I would check with your pediatrician about referring you to an occupational pediatric therapist. They have therapist that work specifically with adhd children and families to help them learn how to “self soothe” or coping skills to help focus. Alternatively if caffeine or similar stimulants help calm her you might think about giving the child caffeine after the meds wear off to help or if cbd would be an alternative for the type of adhd your child has.

Talk to a sleep doctor

1 Like

I am so sorry you’re going through that. My parents were sick with me sneaking out at 16 & 17. I can’t imagine the amount of fear you feel with a 6 year old.

SimpliSafe alarm system is very affordable and install it yourself. Put Sensors on all doors and windows

If she’s been vaccinated, she probably has heavy metals in her system. There are natural ways to remove them. Also, essential oils might help.

9 Likes

Put locks up high on your doors maybe even an alarm for if the door is open.

3 Likes

Since you’ve already set her up an appointment for therapy but it’s so far off, talk to the counselor at her school. They’re not certified therapists, but they’re trained for some aspects of behavioral health. Maybe having her talk to the counselor will help in the mean time. Additionally, get alarms for the doors. Doesn’t have to be anything expensive or fancy, just something that makes a noise when the doors are opened. Additionally, start giving her melatonin before bed. That should help her both fall asleep and stay asleep.

1 Like

If you look your doors and move keys I don’t see how she’s getting out
Meaning the onus is on you guys and you aren’t keeping keys out the way :man_shrugging:t2:
You need a locked drawer and to hide the key or hide the keys and a high hook she can’t climb to
Have combination lock even for the door or for keys so she isn’t able to use them

1 Like

You need an alarm system in your home.

2 Likes

Go through a company like Telus. Here in Alberta . They have a contract and they set it up. It’s a video monitor that connects to your phone. U can also get window alarms. It turns on when it catches ppl outside or for your instance your daughter u turn the alarm at night too.

My kid sleeps in my room and I have to give her melatonin to sleep or her mind races for hours. No tv no video games after 8. On weekends she’s allowed to stay up one night to play video games and watch tv and no meds because she doesn’t eat when she’s on meds. So that one day is her free day. She spends the day eating her favorite foods. She’s 9. But it keeps her a bit sane. Good luck.

2 Likes

Get her pediatrician to get you a referral to a physiatrist or  psychologist not a counselor so they can do testing and psych evaluations.

1 Like

My first guess is ADHD. Given her age, put stop signs by the doors and “Ask first” underneath. Go over the signs with her. Review her boundaries. Consider having her tested for ADHD. This definitely is impulsive behavior.

5 Likes

Alarms on doors and windows.

meanwhile get a lock that is at the top of the door so she can’t reach!

2 Likes

Go get the cheap plastic alarms for doors and windows until you find good ones. They are loud and will wake you of she is leaving on the middle of the night.

1 Like

Alarms and cameras for sure. Scary!

2 Likes

I would get a security system installed to alert you if the doors, windows are opened. Also talk to her about stranger danger as you have been. And possibly install child proof locks on doors. I can’t imagine the panic you guys are feeling.

Get door alarms, try putting them on upside down so the pieces are on the opposite side, that might help them fit better on your door. Get Ring Door Bell, if you can afford one.
Try giving her 10mg Melatonin 30 minutes before bedtime. Put a chain and Flap lock on the front door also. Perhaps change from a regular deadbolt to one that needs the key to unlock it from the inside. ((I know there could be a fire and that’s a safety risk!)) but do us a young girl outside at night alone! So many sicko-pedo’s too!! Put the key on ledge above the door frame so adults can grab it in an emergency. This is extremely dangerous and frightening behavior. I’d be so terrified to sleep, with fear she’s going to be gone when I wake. Maybe put a clock/radio in her room that plays nature sounds to help her sleep.

Look into a gps bracelet for her. Ask ur local police if they have a program. Ours is called Project Lifesaver.

ask her dr. about giving her coffee,I’m old so it may have changed. My oldest daughter couldn’t be still-an old dr. told me to give her a little coffee-it worked for her.

There are door alarms that work for door or window at dollar tree an Walmart that work very well and are very loud an annoying. I went through this before with one trying to see friends and also some little boys had a crush on my daughter and tried to sneak in a window also security system helps sometimes or camera put in so it can be recorded just in case to save you if anyone decided to be spiteful can always save you if cops came out

Get some sensors on the doors and windows, which it sounds like you’re doing. Also you can get small tracking devices, some even have Geofences that will alert you when she leaves a certain radius from your house. I would put one in the tongue of her shoe. I doubt she’s gonna walk up to McDonald’s with no shoes.

Get a toddler monitor for your kids bedroom door or the front door - https://toddlermonitor.com

Obviously try to get her to stop but my motto is always to work with the problem not against it…definitely start talking about and teaching her self defense and how to he observant. My dad always said if your gonna be stupid be start about it.
And if she’s gonna engage in high risk behaviors as much as you want her #1 to not do that #2 should be making sure she’s atleast smart enough to be safe while she’s being risky.

Hope that makes sense.

I untimely hope my kid isn’t a hoodlum buuuuut if he does I do feel confident I’ve given him the skills to come home alive. :upside_down_face: (why do they make parenting so hard lol)

1 Like

I have a similar fella. He doesn’t do it anymore, but I have a chain lock on my front door and used to have to lock all exterior doors with a key. Now he takes medication for sleeping and it helps so much! He takes a prescription tablet but many ADHD kids take melatonin for sleep.

Having signage around the house about boundaries and frequently remind her of them. Repetition is key. Comment on this every time you go through the door or see the signs. Once you’ve dome it a few times have her tell you the rules instead of you tell her. This will make sure she understands and remembers when she sees it. You’re doing all the right things so far, the reviews and therapists will help alot once you get there :ok_hand:t2:

1 Like

Install deadbolts at the top of the doors, and door and window alarms

4 Likes

Okay I would get a hold of you’re closest like Youth Villages services or something of the like like I children’s Home Thai place and they can actually help provide you with alarms when you’re dealing with something similar to what the child I have a child with behavioral issues and they were able to provide me about 10 door alarms

Whatever you can afford weather it be the dollar tree or walmart alarms to start. Also like a vtech camera.

higher locks my friend put sliding bolt locks on her doors plus alarms

Just try to see if you can find any local resources of child services or anything that may be impossible to help

Alarms on the doors and windows until you come up with a solution that works for you

1 Like

Melatonin and keyed locks.

wow! alarms, melatonin, talking, laying down who is at the top of this family and that she will listen or pay consequences (lose music, scooter, etc.).

The alarms that come with this are amazing. Two different types of sounds you can set it at. Also loud enough it would wake the dead! Stops my kiddo in his tracks. Completely recommended!!!

1 Like

Sounds like you need to lock her in her room at night until she no longer a danger to herself. Unpopular opinion but she can’t be trusted to roam about the house while you are asleep. Maybe get some of those locks that go above the main doors if possible. Put a monitor in her room so you can hear her when she wakes up and she can let you know if she needs to go potty during the night. Best of luck to you!

7 Likes

I agree with alarms on the doors and windows. And also maybe sleeping medicines would be helpful. My son has been diagnosed with adhd, bipolar, and dmdd. He has never been able to sleep without the medication clonodine, melatonin never even worked. He would stay up until 4 or 5am every night no matter what time I made him wake up. Even if we spent all day running outside trying to tire him out he just literally could never fall asleep no matter what we tried

1 Like

Get a lock and put it hit up on your front door where she can not reach it and lock your door hun x

2 Likes

I’d talk to her healthcare provider. Her sleeping problem could be affecting her behaviour and she may need stronger sleeping meds and a more solid routine. The problem isn’t going to fix itself, but consistency will make a huge difference.

Make sure to hide keys and have more protective measures in place for the doors, windows, bikes/scooters.

3 Likes

I bought alarms that go on top of the doors from walmart they can be put on wondows too. We also have a flight risk at school so she wheres her phone which has find my kid app on it andnit tracks her i couldnt afford gps watches

1 Like

Can u gwt a deadbolt lock that goes in the top of doors?

1 Like

I got caught sneaking out when I was a teenager. My dad was in another town for work so my punishment came when he got home. I was made to look at all the registered offenders in my county and two bordering counties. It was an eye opener, especially when I found a friend’s dad on there. Your daughter might be a little young for that, but it worked on me.

6 years old I feel sorry for you

2 Likes

My husband has a house alarm. When the kids are home and he wants a nap he turns it on. You could do that to know she stays home or have one of those gps devices that make your phone sound if she leaves a certain perimeter . They come in various forms : for clothes , shoes, watches , etc

2 Likes

I’m concerned that she’s getting out without you guys noticing . I have 3 children and as soon as one of them is out their room I know . Why not lock the doors and windows and take keys to your room .

Maybe get her to watch some true crime docs that show the reality of getting snatched. That’s scary stuff.

2 Likes

Wow, she is only 6 and already you are at a loss. Tell her if you catch her out of bed again you will take her devise. Also put a baby gate at her door and a potty chair in her room and tell her she is not allowed to leave her room unless you or dad are up and awake. Tell her If she sees that itnis dark outside she better not get out of bed. Give consequences this is about the safety of your child. There are real consequences for this such as abduction or removal from cps. Good luck. It only gets worse as they get older so get it nipped now or you are in for a Ling road

4 Likes

Keyless entry locks, flipped around so the keypad is on the inside and you need the code to get out… That’s what we have to do for our 17 yr old autistic son.

6 Likes

But whoopin would be my suggestion BUT let’s play the generational game…

Chain lock wayyyy up high or Dead Bolt locks. Can she get out any windows?

4 Likes

Get a security system ours always says door open and if it’s armed goes off after 20 seconds

1 Like

Put locks on all outside doors at the TOP, I did this for my son and it worked

1 Like

I would put alarms on all doors and windows ,you could also do lavender and Melatonin at bed time to help her sleep you could get the locks and put them on top of the door and door frames not the side cause she could reach it with the chair I would get one of the tag tracking devices or the apple one and sew it into her shoes or something she keeps with her they also make a watch that will lock on to her wrist only you can remove and it will also alert you and track her ,you can never be too safe with your babies especially in this world and thank god for a caring stranger cause she could have been long gone shes supper lucky to have made it home I hope that yall can figure this out much love💜

1 Like

A SIX YEAR OLD sneaking out and went to McDonald’s at that … what !?

2 Likes

Get an alarm that sounds when the door / window is opened

1 Like

Some parents of autistic children have to get some type of bars that keeps them in their room at night. Some would say that is abuse but it’s for the child’s safety.

2 Likes

Do you guys not lock the doors? :grimacing: Lock the doors, windows and keep your eyes hidden. Get a deadbolt across the TOP of the door if you have one of those inside spiny lock things.

They sell locking eye hooks, got ours at Walmart put them at the top of the door so she can’t reach them. If she climbs she will still have trouble opening it. Put them on all doors that lead to outside. Buy the door alarms they also sell them for windows if she starts trying to get out those once the doors won’t open for her. Praying for her safety

1 Like

Deadbolt lock that has to use keys on both sides, melatonin for sleep get an urgent referral from doctor for counseling (in home works really well)

1 Like

Try Bach flower essences ( like Walnut or White chestnut), they are harmless and work good with children .Read about it or find a therapist that uses them.

1 Like

Y’all, please stop suggesting to lock her in her bedroom, that is SO dangerous if there’s a fire.

And please stop suggesting to “whoop” her. She’s neurodivergent, not disobedient. She needs help understanding what’s going on in her head at this age more than you do. As adults, it’s your job to find the tools to help her. Not to hit her.

Ffs y’all, give better advice. Smdh.

6 Likes

Sounds like my kiddo with the sleep stuff. You can try some sleepy time tea (just cool it for her unless she likes hot tea) or even some melatonin to help her sleep. I would also recommend a genesite dna test to see if these meds are a good fit for her. Everyone processes meds differently and it gives the docs a little more info is all.

2 Likes

You need to get a lock on your door that’s way up high. Alarms on doors tracker on the kid the lot. That’s way to dangerous of a situation my nerves would be shot.

2 Likes

Get alarm for the doors and windows they sell them in 4 /6 packs. Put a door look up high so she can’t reach it

i’d hate to see what happens at 16 :woozy_face:.

4 Likes

What about putting the chain lock things. Not sure what their called but they’re in most motels/hotels and she won’t be able to reach since they are usually all the way in tip of the door.

Put locks on top of the doors

You can go to Dollar Tree they have alarms that you can buy from windows or doors and whenever it’s bedtime turn on the alarm on her windows and doors and whenever she goes out it’s going to scream just make sure you put it out of her reach

You need to get a door guardian for your front door and if you have a sliding door she could get out off.

You need to get a door guardian for your front door and if you have a sliding door she could get out off.

I would install ring cameras inside and outside that alert to any movement around entry and exit points in the house. Keep keys in your possession at all times along with phones. Put door alarms, window alarms everything that will alert you to her movements inside the house. Ex. If she has to open her bedroom door to get out…… aim a ring camera at her door that will set off a notification to wake you up. If she has a window she is exiting do the same thing.

2 Likes

I got these on Amazon they work for the up and down windows too, anything that slides and has a lip.

1 Like

put a alarm on EVERYTHING and ground her from the things she loves for a set amount of days and let her know when she is off grounding and if it happens again let her know the consequences will be more server

1 Like

Gosh I feel you with this my daughter used to stay up most the night too when she was 4 lucky she didn’t go out the door but she used to get into everything and wake the other kids up