My boyfriends cats pee in random spots in his house: Advice?

Try adding litter boxes, each cat should have their own, plus one extra. The litter has to be cleaned at least once a day, multiple is better, if I forget to clean mine, my oldest will pee on my favorite chair. Also, make sure you cleans everything that has urine, if you don’t they will keep peeing in the same spots regardless of how many boxes you have. You can also try pee away, the scent repels them from wanting to pee in that area. If this doesn’t work, the cats need to be checked for UTI, it is dangerous for them. If all of the above fails then it is territorial behavior, you will need to do research on that. Hope this helps, there is usually a way to resolve these issues, I have 3 cats and been through it all…good luck!

1 Like

She needs to see a vet, something is wrong or something is stressing her. Do her and the other cat get along well? Is the box kept clean and fresh? Can he say when it started? Possibly could need a second box to give her a separate place to go. If it’s not medical there is definitely something else causing it, cats are very intelligent and don’t usually do that unless they are trying to get your attention.

1 Like

Go to the vet get them checked. Each cat should have their own litter box and sometimes I add in an extra. As for the smell. Odoban is wonderful. You can spray it on furniture and add it to the laundry in the washing machine to get the smell out of towels, rugs and clothing. In addition, I spray my fresh clay litter with it, then I spray it again each time I scoop. Most people are shocked I have indoor cats

I have had a cat that did this and we never knew what caused it. We just never left clothes or towels on floor because if we did she would mark on them. She even had kitty door to go outside during day. We kept her until she died of old age.

Go to the vet that sounds like bladder stones or uti or kidney stones they pee in soft places because they associate the litter box with pain

1 Like

Take the cat to the vet. It may have a urinary infection…Also make sure the litter box is cleaned daily…

2 Likes

First take him to the vet to see if he may have a health problem. Then, get something on Chewy that will get rid of the smell and keep him from peeing everywhere. I got Nature’s Miracle. It’s for dogs but works for cats also. I sprayed it everywhere and put some in a container with some cleaner and cleaned the areas affected and it worked great. And it’s all natural. Hopefully the kitty is okay. Good luck!!

Cat could have urinary track infection …need attention immediately or will die. I didn’t get mine to vet in time.

1 Like

There could be a number of issues, you should have 1 litter pan per cat. They will use either but the fact it doesn’t get full as fast. Make sure you are cleaning the pan regularly, not cleaning the pan can have them peeing outside the box. I’ve heard some foods will also cause them to have behavioral issues… frisky and meow mix are on that list, for this I don’t know how true.

Cats are fastidious animals. They don’t like boxes that aren’t cleaned daily. Put a box of baking soda in the box to absorb the odor. The cat should be checked for a UTI, also. Don’t move in though!!! The smell will stick to your clothes and soon your friends and co-workers will siding away from you! Not to mention it can make you sick.

Can’t offer any help with cat peeing everywhere but wash the towels in white vinegar. Spray cat with water if you find it peeing somewhere other than dirt box.

2 Likes

I have dealt with this twice. I had a cat who started peeing outside of her box when I switched litter. I switched back but that didn’t help. She was old so we just made sure nothing was left out For her to pee on.

The other time was when I brought a new cat home who rejected my cat. He started peeing in the places she hung out. Eventually he stopped. He’s friendly towards her but she doesn’t reciprocate but she tolerates him now.

What the hell? Are you so thirsty and sad that you will live with cat pee? Is this the only guy on the whole planet or something?

3 Likes

Are these cats fixed? Do they have a bladder infection or kidney problems going on? Do not put those cats outside tho cause they are indoor cats so they do not know the outside world. Also there has to be more than one litter box. Also is the cats both female or one female n one male? If different sexes they become territorial. I got two male cats but both are fixed and they’ve never pissed anywhere.

1 Like

Whats amazing is you can tell thousands of people this problem but you cant say it to the person that matters. Get off your computer and have a real live conversation- unbelievable what this world has come to

1 Like

My pet peed is amazing. You spray it on the spot. No rubbing it evaporates over a few days. You should try

Make sure there is 1 more litter box than cats, sometimes boxes aren’t big enough for them, some like them covered, some don’t like it in a high traffic area, some don’t like sented litter or high dust content. It alot of trial & error but they are trying to tell you. FYI, am a vet tech of 35 yrs.

Yeah I have had cats do this because of urinary infections, I never deviate from the urinary food because of it and they do fine. It’s also recommended that you have one more litter box than the number of cats than you have…

My cat started peeing in the house after she had a litter of kittens( she lost all of them). She got a bad bladder infection, and she would pee so you could see, to bring attention to the fact it was painful to pee.

Could be adjustments and stress. Ive had a lot of crazy go on in my house recently. House guests unwelcome visitors fighting… And one of the cats has started peeing on things left on the floor… Like socks… Flip flops…or clothing.

You need to use the enzyme on the stuff or throw away. Take to vet and see if something is wrong with cat
If you are new there cat might be jealous. Change litter brands make sure litter box gets cleaned often. Use clumping litter

I used a product called Bitter Apple spray. This was a long time ago. My cat picked a spot in the living room and I sprayed that side of the room with it and she stayed away. I had to use it about every 3 4 days but it worked.

One litter box per cat have a vet check the urine wash things down with vinegar

2 Likes

This is often behavioral, jealousy. Yes had this happen when too many things changed, new house, outside cats marking, jealous of live in. I too started letting them out and problem solved. As long as we didn’t ignore him when he wanted out.

the cat is trying to tell you he is sick. I had a cat that did this and he had diabetes. when they do these things they are trying to get your attention so you can help thrm

Usually it is because of a urinary tract infection!

The cat is reacting to you! They don’t care for “strangers” disrupting their routine. (such as it is!) Male cat? They pee in strange places. Neutered? They’ll get used to you, but may take a while

Im so sorry the cat ran away we can get another one

7 Likes

My son’s cat would spray all around the place till we had him fixed. Warrick Humane society in Newburgh would have certain times where it would be real cheap and it was worth it.

I have a 7 year old fixed indoor female who started peeing out of the litter box (in sinks, on rugs, ert) when I got a second fixed indoor female kitten two years ago. I took my older cat to the vet - No UTI, no crystals, no diabetes. The vet just kinda shrugged and said it must be behavioral, and I’ve been dealing with it ever since. I have multiple litter boxes available to them, and I’ve tried Feliway and moving to a place with more space for them to be apart more and nothing has helped 🤷

A vet check should be first as it could be a sign of a UTI or crystals, but otherwise, it may be behavioral issues. Both of our cats have an issue with peeing on things when they are upset or are trying to assert dominance over the other

Also, as far as the laundry is concerned, use white vinegar (I use one whole small bottle). Put the vinegar in with your wash, let it agitate for 15 seconds or so to get vinegar all over, and then I let it sit for about 10 minutes) and continue wash. No more smell. White vinegar is great for new DARK blue and black clothing. It color fasts more

Cats don’t use their box for only two reasons ! Sick or angry! Check both!! Your entry into their lives may have upset them or they are sick and need to see a vet!

Behavior issue. Cat is piased! Literally! Rule out med for sure but… Had roommate that cat didn’t like and did similar things. Once she moved on all better. No issues with my things are entire time. Just hers

Needs to have them fixed or the litter box isn’t clean. Or maybe a UTI

Don’t give in…stick to your guns. If he truely loves you and then he needs to also respect you and your feelings on this. Maybe because he lives with the smell he has gone nose blind? Don’t let yourself become his house keeper because he doesn’t want to deal with the issues…could be a sign for you.

Give them their own litter box and not near each other. If that doesn’t work they may need a vet check.

Could be the cat has a bladder infection or crystal in its urine. Should see a vet.

1 Like

Also, make sure the litter box is clean. If not they will pee elsewhere too

Is the cat fixed. If it’s a male he is prolly spraying If not fixed and I would suggest talking to him about getting the cat neutered. If it’s a female I would get her to the vet to get a check up as it could be a uti. Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

My Mom’s cat started doing that. She took her to the vet and found out it was diabetic

2 Likes

I WOULD ASAP,I DON’T LOVE ANIMALS ENOUGH TO LIVE IN THE HOUSE WITH ONE…The biggest argument my Late Husband and I had was him wanting a dog…he never got it,ma he rest in peace.

Most cats like to their business in a box. Most of the time you need to up the litter box to two as well. I had two cats and had only one box and one started using dirty clothes. So we got another box and its solved the problem big time, might be double work but saved the clothes. If that does not work then time for a visit to the vet.

----Did the cat always do this or did it start after You started staying there??? Could also be a jealousy issue, but have it checked by the vet.—

1 Like

I have 2 rescue cats. They will always pee on a pile of laundry on the floor. No laundry on the floor? Usually no cat pee outside the litter box. So I make sure the laundry isn’t left out.

Use natures miracle to kill the smell. It’s the only thing that really works. Male cats are very possessive and mark their person or area.

have the cat checked. its a sign of a uti, kidney infection or diabetes.

1 Like

I have a girl cat that does this and it’s pure jealousy. She only pees on my things. My pillow, my clothes, my side of the bed. Nothing we do deters her. We love her and it’s not a constant thing so we just deal with it.

I have had cats that were very polite and modest…I am not staying even one night in that kind of mess, especially when you can go home to a clean house! What in the world are you thinking ?

Probably had crystals in its bladder. My cat did that, she sin a special urinary cat food and does fine now

It’s a medical issue, they need to go to the vet and he needs to fully clean everything they have peed on. Also, they can be marking and need to get fixed as well but the vet can literally tell him this.

Yup my mother-in Law house they had 6 cats and peed everywhere.A lot of other family or friends won’t visit because of it

2 Likes

How many litter boxes does he have and are they scooped out daily? They say you should have one for each cat plus one. So he should have at least three.

If the cat is male it needs to be neutered,and take to vet for urine infection

It could be a UTI or it could be the cat it jealous because you are there. The cat needs to get to a vet to rule out any medical conditions

If there’s nothing physically wrong with the cat(s) and the litter is clean, I’d leave. The guy has told you where his loyalties lie and they aren’t with you.

It’s either stress, UTI infection, or behavior. The third is extremely difficult to manage.

While you say you love him, he lives in a manner you cannot abide. I can’t think of anyone who would put up with this. I see this as a continuing long-term problem between the two of you. My suggestion is to move on and find a man who doesn’t want to live in cat pee. Really, find another man.

What we’ve experienced, however you treat a space the cats will treat the space!

My MIL is the same way, but she won’t acknowledge it. We cannot go visit anymore. It’s that bad.

Do not move in with someone who could care less if they smell like cat piss. It will ruin your relationship…

The cats may be trying to tell you they are in pain when they pee. When my cats get uti, they will pee else where to let you know there’s a problem.

It’s disgusting! The cat is spraying. That’s why I told my ex husband no male cats. Then he gets a male cat that sprayed ON TOP of my stove, and ON MY DADS HEAD!! Tell him it’s either you or the cats!

Sounds like the cat is Jealous of you. My brother had a dog that hated his girlfriend so he locked him outside. That night the cat peed on her pillow.

If it is a male cat, they tend to “spray” their areas. If this is the case, he needs to be fixed, and that will stop it.

The cat could also be ill.

1 Like

Get more litter boxes, 2 per cat, and check for medical problems.

There is a medical reason why that cat is doing that. It generally is a uti

Sounds like you need to make him do laundry and sit in the wet spots and wrap the pissed on towel around his nose and if that doesn’t work I’d say move back to your place and date there without the cats but if he comes over smelling of pee it’s time to send him to doctor to see why he doesn’t smell the problem.

The cat may have kidney or bladder problem,check with the vet

Once they pee on clothes and towels and such the smell never comes out

Usually when a cat pees like that they are trying to tell you something. He needs to visit the vet

What do you do ? This would be a deal breaker for most people that believe " between now and dead, Is this the way I want to live ? " Plus you should want a guy that is willing to lay down his life for you and commit to you in marriage. Don’t be an unpaid wh#re. Have some dignity and do the right thing for yourself.

Put more than one cat box…spray the areas good with white vinegar and make sure they are fixed and their litter boxes are kept clean

1 Like

The cat might have a bladder issue. May need to see the vet.

Noooo The ammonia can get you really sick he needs to do something about that that’s disgusting I wouldn’t stay there any longer than you have to​:100::100::100:

Get out or get a new home for cat the smell will never go away

We had a cat once that consistently pooped in the tub—it was disgusting but better than doing it all over the house.

Is it neutered? Try getting a dog training tool and everytime it is caught let the high pitch let it know you disapprove

3 litter boxes needed for 2 cats

Sorry not cat person I could not deal with this would not move in until he gets the cat issue fixed

2 cats 2 litter boxes

Get two litter boxes and when you smell them then change the litter. If male cats get them fixed.

Mine are doing this and they are females and they also spray like a Tom cat

It could also be revenge because u have moved in.

They usually have something wrong and should see a vet

Is the cat a male or female and are they fixed

He wants you to clean his house and clean UP after his cats forever

Don’t move in ,he won’t get rid of those cats.

2 Likes

Vet check! More than one cat box
Never put cat out side! They belong in the house

3 Likes

Simple, open from door and put outside, shut door.

Don’t shack up! Get married, Then tell him what to do!

1 Like

Guessing they’re males? Intact males. Fix them.

The only cats I’ve ever had do this is female. They’re horrible!

Some time something is wrong with the, cat needed to c a vet asp

2 Likes

Maybe the cat is jealous of you, new person in the house

2 Likes

Well the cats or me just that simple…who wants to live in piss

2 Likes

Ask Jackson galaxy cat daddy

2 Likes

Take cat to vet. It could be sick

1 Like

It’s kind of like smoking I don’t date smokers because I can’t stand the smell :woman_shrugging:t3: sounds like a deal breaker

1 Like