My breastfed child uses me as a pacifier: Advice?

Questions to my mama’s out there. I have a one-month-old that I am breastfeeding as well as bottle feeding 2x daily. My baby girl seems to be using my breast as a pacifier, and it’s becoming a little overwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, I love the bonding, but it’s hard for dad to hold her as she will scream cry just to do some comfort nursing. Please help me! Questions to my mama’s out there. I have a one-month-old that I am breastfeeding as well as bottle feeding 2x daily. My baby girl seems to be using my breast as a pacifier, and it’s becoming a little overwhelming. Don’t get me wrong, I love the bonding, but it’s hard for dad to hold her as she will scream cry just to do some comfort nursing. Please help me!

1 Like

Have you tried offering a regular pacifier?

1 Like

1 month old babies ear every 3 hrs still. Baby needs comfort

Try a real pacifier. Babies that young still need to feed on demand even though it seems like a lot

Babies will feed alot during growth spurts. They will also feed alot to get your supply up. Shes still very very small give her time

4 Likes

Please look up cluster feeding. It is very normal for baby to be on breast for most of the day for the first couple months. As long as enough dirty and wet nappies it’s common. It’s to help you build a supply. The more baby feeds the quicker your supply is built. Baby goes on boob to tell them to produce the perfect amount for them. This is why they feed so much more often than with a bottle as they need to keep telling the boob what to do. When you give a bottle they don’t need to tell the bottle to make more milk. It does ease. But each growth spurt it’ll happen so your milk supply ups. At this age baby is not using you as a pacifier.

5 Likes

As much as some people are against pacifiers (as i was when my first was born) i looked into it and it is actually a smart thing to use in the early months for a couple reasons, 1 being it actually can help prevent SIDS by creating air flow if baby rolls onto stomach and 2 being that you can take away a soother however you can’t take away their thumb which most babies will end up sucking on their own eventually.

1 Like

I have the same problem but my baby is 14 months and uses me as a pacifier she’s only been ebf her entire life. Anyone have any advice how to wean her ?

Answering this AS I’m nursing my 5 week old who does the exact same thing: let dad do the burping or bottles as much as possible. She’ll start to look to him as a source of comfort too, especially since the bottle lets them satisfy their hunger quickly (and newborns aren’t known for their patience!)

2 Likes

My 4 month old does the same thing I usually let him comfort nurse because it makes him feel safe. If I need to get up and do something I usually wait until he falls asleep and then I have to take my nipple out of his mouth :joy: he fusses and then falls tight back to sleep. He was constantly at the breast at that age. It was a lot but I tried to sleep when he was sleeping, I still do.

My 7 week old is the same way. She won’t take any pacifier I have tried. And now i have to somehow either build up my supply (had breast abscess surgery) or go through formulas till i find one she will take so i can work and build my stash back up. With my abscess I wasnt able to nurse on that side so she compensated by nursing all day everyday on the other to build the supply on the other. It could be comfort but it could also be your baby trying to build your supply

1 Like

You are the only heart beat she’s ever heard.
And now you are the only thing that brings her comfort and food.
Yeah, bonding with dad is needed, but she’s only one month. Gotta give her time. For the first few months, it’s usually only mom who baby wants. Can’t really blame them either.

2 Likes

Sounds like cluster feeding. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Look up soothies if you’re going to give a pacifier as anything else will cause problems with breastfeeding if given too early.
My EBF daughter didn’t take a pacifier anyway until around 3 months, we gave Tommy tippies only once breastfeeding became easier

Sounds like cluster feeding. She’s trying to get your supply to build up. Breast feeding can be a crazy hard thing at first, just stick with it and let her guide you

Give the baby time to adjust its only been a month. She only knows you and bonds with You, once she’s used to the father, she will adjust. Most kids are like that and remember kids can sense as well

I think at a month old babies brains are more wired for comfort than anything else and feeding. I’ve noticed my 3 week old loves being on my chest as my heart beat helps him sleep. It is all he knew for months and doesn’t understand much more right now, plus the skin to skin definitely helps my milk production :heart_eyes: I’m still very new to all of this as there’s a 10 year gap between him and my eldest but I’ve noticed some days he’s far hungrier than others, but the more he feeds the more I make for him which is guess from many comments that’s pretty natural. I’m just enjoying my baby being on me, bonding and feeding him as much as he wants even if it takes up a lot of the day and he’s not so interested in his dad. This phase really doesn’t last that long once they are a few months old and go longer between feeds plus are more active. I have started using a pacifier only because sometimes he does need comfort that isn’t me because he has a tendency to have too much milk when overtired ,and be sick, but I don’t rely on it too much, only when he’s really fussy. I was told that babies this age will cluster feed to make up for the days they don’t have as much and you only worry when there aren’t enough wet nappies in a day for the amount of milk. At this age babies just want you :heart:

Holy. Shit. YOU HAVE A NEWBORN. Pacifiers are just plastic NIPPLES not the other way around🙄 comfort nursing or cluster feeding increases your supply of milk, which is important right now because your baby is new and your body is adjusting to fit their needs. It’s biologically normal. You’re their only safe place in a big new scary world. They could be going through a growth spurt too. Let that baby nurse as much as she needs to.

Its most likely cluster feeding . between 4 and 6 weeks they eat ALOT .
My one year old did it and I have a 6 week old who is currently on my breast 24/7 it seems ! It’s completely normal. I know it can be overwhelming but you can do it momma :slight_smile:

Just dont let her. Duh :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

Let her have her mumma boobie, they’re only young once

My eldest son use to do this when I was exclusively breastfeeding. Some times when he was upset he would suck on my breast to help fall asleep. This did not last for long. As he got older and was more efficient at falling asleep he no longer needed my breast. He moved onto an actual pacifier, which he was happy with.