My daughter is mixed, how can I do her hair?

My neices are mixed as well an their hair need lots of moisturizer.

YouTube girl… It’ll teach ya…

5 Likes

If she has textured hair, she has every right to wear protective hairstyles all the time because those hair styles were for HER hair and HER culture!

That being said…

YouTube has lots of resources for white folk trying to learn to do textured hair. a friend of mine also went to local black salons and asked the women there if they would be willing to show her how to do basic stuff w her kids hair, and was happy to pay the women at the salons to teach her.

17 Likes

Pay for her to go to a salon (black). Your husband should definitely be more proactive in helping you with this.

8 Likes

Have the mother-in-law take her for braids

1 Like

There’s a fb page exactly for this. White mamas with kids with different hair textures.

4 Likes

Ask her what she wants, does she want her hair braided, smoothed flat, etc? There’s way to protect all styles of hair

3 Likes

I don’t think it would be offensive for you to learn how to do your daughter’s hair properly. I think it would be more upsetting if you just let her hair go and didn’t try… Your a great mom keep doing you❤

12 Likes

I am white and rocked braids all the time when I was younger due to having a close family friend who was of color do my hair a lot. Don’t worry about what others think.

6 Likes

I have a bunch of styles for mixed girls hair. I have mixed daughters as well. You can inbox me for pics if you want :white_heart:

2 Likes

Black folks will be more offended that you have a mixed child and did not take the time to learn to care for and love her hair just my opinion

22 Likes

….”her hair is that of a POC”….but most of the comments only see issue with “white passing”……really???

Y’all seem rather…insightful. So please explain.

What is “POC” hair :thinking:.

12 Likes

Holy fuck. It’s hair. Who cares if she is half black or not. Braids are braids. Black ppl don’t own braids.

Thing is as a white woman any way she worded what she said someone would find it offensive. It’s sad that she had to tiptoe around what she is trying to ask to not offend anyone. It’s her child and her child’s culture. Yeah she’s way behind in learning but ehat do you expect when you have a mom and child who both have light skin and they are trying to learn braids or other hairstyles that a lot of poc would be offered about if they think its a white woman and child doing it… she’s reaching out for help and half these comments are just worried about her wording or telling her to have her MIL take the child to do it. That doesn’t solve her issue at all

22 Likes

If she has textured hair she has EVERY RIGHT to wear her hair in braids and in protective styles. And you need to not care how others see you because you’re trying to take care of your child. Since she’s mixed it is part of HER culture. Have your mother in law teach you if she’s around or take her to a salon and watch how they do it, and if you have questions then ask them. Also braids don’t belong to 1 culture🤷🏻‍♀️

8 Likes

It’s her culture so how is it offensive for her to wear her hair that way?

3 Likes

Good Lord girl you don’t owe anybody an explanation for learning how to braid or do your child’s hair. There is no law stating only certain people can braid so f*ck the haters and do you.

These racist back handed comments.

12 Likes

It’s the racist overtones and policing of BW voices for me. We owe you nothing.

9 Likes

Dad needs to get his family involved to help because you waited a long time to learn “POC” hair

5 Likes

Care about your kid and not people’s misplaced anger.

Take her to a shop that has a black stylist. She won’t be offended that you want to honor YOUR child by learning how to do her hair.

Enough with the white passing. You sound like you have white guilt and I sure hope you aren’t passing that on to her. Let her be your kid and not half this and half that.

7 Likes

Let me tell you something don’t nobody care if you or your child wear braids or not the ones who do can kick rocks. You do you and live your life happy you don’t live to make others happy

5 Likes

If she has POC hair she’s not white passing. :clown_face:

6 Likes

If she has any type of hair other than stick straight hair, protective styles and products are needed. Learn, so you can teach her how to take care of her own hair as she becomes an adult. In my opinion, it’s more offensive to not embrace her texturized hair, than it is to learn how to take care of it correctly. Have her dads family teach you and if that’s not an option take her to a salon that has experience with textured hair and learn. Watch YouTube videos to learn how to do her hair. All products will not work for her hair either. It is going to be a trial and error type of thing, just do not put a relaxer in it.

8 Likes

Raising Anti-Racist Kids Through Open-Ended Play

Mixed Race Babies

Some groups to try

I’m not shocked at how many racist t w a t s are in this group. They couldn’t WAIT for your post.

10 Likes

My friend’s mom was in the same situation. She ended up going to a beauty supply store to ask questions.
They might even have referrals of a place you can go to have your little ones hair done so you can observe.
There’s also lots of tutorials on YouTube.

1 Like

Do what you think is best once you have mix kid you will always be judged by both culture I know I got three

4 Likes

Everyone is going to say something different (don’t use this, use that etc…) I use what works for us. I use Aussie Moist shampoo/conditioner on my kids hair… we wash about 1/2x a week. We use leave in conditioner…any is fine. My daughter is 5 and has really long hair so I just normally keep it in a loose bun or ponytail with braids and keep a cap on when she is asleep.

2 Likes

It’s groups on fb you can join… Mixed kids… Or you can inbox me anytime… At least you trying…

5 Likes

YouTube will be your best friend. You can also join groups. If he has ppl in his family you can see if anyone is willing to teach you.

You gotta learn how to do her hair asap. It’ll help her understand identity and identify with parts of her culture. Also, negative outlooks on Black hair taught in childhood can last your entire life. Gotta nip that ish in the bud.

Just remember that he hair loves water and wants to be moisturized or it will become brittle and damaged and break off.

1 Like

I swear I wanna hurt everyone who guilt white people for mixed babies or braids or hair in any way.

First, you’re her mamá. You’re entirely entitles to learn to care for your baby and anyone who doesn’t agree is a horrid bigot who needs slapped.

Second, take her to a pro the first time and ask questions abiut care before trying it yourself.

Third, braids are NOT the only “cultural” hairstyle, so please don’t feel like you’re letting anyone down if you don’t learn. That’s beyond rediculous as an expectation.

Fourth, I send you love and support as a mixed baby with mixed babies. You’re going to face the ugly side of humanity from both sides - don’t listen to any of them. You and your family are perfect. Your choices are perfect - for YOUR family.

1 Like

Nobody need permission to do their hair a certain way! Not in America anyway. Just watch you tube👍 Its how i learned how to do my mixed childs hair🙏 good luck

1 Like

The Proper Terminology is Biracial. Not mixed. You mix up a recipe or mix up a cake. You don’t go around saying or referring to your child as mixed. A Professor taught that and I have a Biracial daughter too. You take her to a Salon and ask for a stylist that can do Biracial hair styles. Once you find a stylist stick with that person who can do her hair as she grows up. Good luck

11 Likes

Watch YouTube videos

1 Like

Is your goal is “white passing”? That’s not an appropriate way to describe your daughter.

If you want to learn to do her hair, I suggest, ask her what style she would like, find a salon to do it, and tip them to show how it’s done.

Do your child’s hair how you want. She got her hair from her daddy and that’s nothing to be ashamed about. Anybody on the outside looking in judging you or her need to reevaluate.

3 Likes

Dad could of already introduced her to some kin folk that could help her learn something he know his wife white did he automatically assume that she would figure it out or…was this not a conversation they had before having the child did she not feel comfortable enough with him expressing her concerns of hair with their child

7 Likes

Look up YouTube videos on how to do hair style of your choosing

Don’t be worried about offending anyone. You are trying to look after your daughter and take care of her.

7 Likes

I watched a lot of YouTube videos. And use pinterest for style ideas. You’ll have to find a product that works best for her, not all is the same or works for everyone’s hair. A lot of salons will help show you as well if you take her and ask them.

1 Like

Who cares if someones offended? This is about you learning to take care of your childs hair… no matter what you do, someone is offended… stop taking the feelings of others and putting it ahead of what you and your daughter need… teach your daughter not to care about others opinion as they won’t care about hers… teach your daughter to live by her standards not societies… why is it offensive that a mother is trying to properly do her childs hair?

7 Likes

People will offended no matter what you do, and that is 100% THEIR problem. Do what you want/need to do for your child.

5 Likes

Why do y’all wait until the kid is out to learn to do their hair if u knew u we’re gonna have mixed kids?

6 Likes

Chocolate hair Vanilla care is a great way to start

Braids don’t belong to one race, plenty of races have done braids. Also they don’t have a monopoly on who can braid their own hair or their daughters hair. You’ll be fine , do what you want.

7 Likes

It’s HAIR. How does she want it to look ?? Braids are universal. Every culture does braids. Or not, if she doesn’t like them. There are books… see your librarian. Be proud… if that’s your hardest challenge… you will rock this Mama !!!

6 Likes

Why would doing braids upset anyone??

Somethings gonna upset everyone. Youre just a mamma tryna care for her baby. Id find something easy on youtube or tiktok to start.

If anyone is upset that is their problem, you do whatever pleases your daughter and yourself.

4 Likes

Ask your daughter’s father or any females on his family. If they’re not willing, go to a salon that caters to black women.

5 Likes

l get paid over $ 140 per hour working from home. l never thought I’d be able to do it but my buddy makes $ 15684 a month doing this and she convinced me to try. The possibility with this is endless.

Info Here >>> https://amazingjobs43.wixsite.com/my-site

It doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. If they get upset then They aren’t someone you want around your family anyways. You have every right to put any hairstyle in yours or your child’s hair and no one has the right to tell you otherwise.

I say this as a biracial woman with bi racial children that are everything from white passing with red hair to my color and hair. It’s fine.

2 Likes

This is what my friend did who has a mixed baby… She went to a black owned salon. They showed her and taught her how to take care of it.

OR

Since your husband is black, I’m sure he has cousins? Sister? Mom? I would ask them for help as well.

5 Likes

Your daughter is half black. If people are offended, that’s their problem. If people want to be offended bc they base their opinion off of the colour of someone’s skin, they have issues of their own to deal with.
Learn. Teach your daughter. She needs to know about where her blood comes from and what her culture is. Don’t withhold that from her bc you’re afraid of what people might say.
YouTube is your friend.
Quick tips- moisturize her hair after washing and conditioning. Use a rat tail comb ( pointed end ) and part her hair into boxes. Use a moisture gel around the roots of each box. Braid each box down and use a rubber band. Don’t use beads on small kids, sometimes they get caught and rip out chunks of her hair. That would be the simplest style for you to learn. Then you can move on to cornrows. Which is just parts from the hairline to the nape, three strands and braid it down while picking up small pieces of hair as you braid. Once you master simple braids you can move to patterns.
Let her embrace her culture.

6 Likes

Momma, you are embracing her culture! Who cares what other ppl think?!? Are they paying your bills? Are they raising your daughter? Nope! You are! This is your baby! Raise her how you believe is the best way!

4 Likes

Learn
Do it
Look it up on the computer. They’ve got step by step with pics
Practice makes perfect
You’ll be a coolest mom ever. Than in turn she will learn

Just make sure you buy good hair products for that baby…that does not mean expensive just need to know your shampoo is not good for her…

If anyone gets upset over a child’s hair they have bigger problems to worry about. Take her to a salon where they have someone who specializes in doing hair for POC.

4 Likes

Please do not think that way, I have a white neighbour who has a daughter also biracial. And she’s really really good at braiding sometimes she even does my hair and I always appreciate the way she protects and also learnt about a whole new hair texture.

5 Likes

My daughter is biracial with straight thin hair and brown skin and Mexican features. I tried to get her hair braided so that she can experience her culture and the hairstylists all told me her hair would get damaged and all suggested she use regular products, brush and whatever styles of hair that didn’t damage her hair. Since then, she wore her pig tails, hair down, up, in a bun, braided, whatever but never cornrows or tight braids since the texture is fine. Take your kid to a hairstylist and they’ll check the texture and advice proper caring.

2 Likes

I don"t think anyone should be offended if you want to learn how to braid
We hada friends staying with us when my daughter was young. She braided my daughters hair all the time!

1 Like

Don’t waste another minute that your baby could be getting bullied or teased behind her hair. Learn to braid and style even if it’s on YouTube. As a mixed race child with a Caucasian who did not know how to do my hair at that age I was teased for that. You can also take her to the salon. Make sure they know how to do hair for POC and don’t let anyone put relaxer in it. Check and see if there is somewhere that specializes in kids hair/ kids braiding.

2 Likes

It’s 2022, no one cares how your child hair is styled. My daughter is a ginger and I corn row her hair often. She has frizzy, curly hair.

The first thing is a silk pillow case and a wrap for bedtime. Next, find a good salon! If your daughter has afro or extremely thick hair find her a salon. I good salon will support your and your daughters hair needs. They’ll educate you on products and services. But leave ALL race comments at home. No one care what color her skin is. Just how to help with her hair.

6 Likes

As a very white lady with a biracial son who looks very mixed I have a very hard time getting him the proper attention at the barber shop, he was continually told they were booked all week or one took him to the chair then asked him to hop out cause his buddy had just walked in. I am hoping the female shops will be kinder to you. I got so fed up that I sent my son with his father instead and just like that he was in a chair.

True the race shou not be the issue. You have to do her hair until she learns to do it herself your the mother . Get someone to help you.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter how you do her hair. It’s how she feels about it that counts. It’s her hair.

1 Like

I have had a rough time learning to do my granddaughters hair very hard to comb I use a water mix with olive oil or coconut oil in a large spray bottle and spray spray spray comb small pieces at a time it works you just have to be very patient I had sons so I never dealt with hair they just got those low fades so this is different for me . But we are learning good luck. Also silk scarf to sleep with help and you can always Google it .

1 Like

White passing daughter she is mixed I have a daughter who is the same and me her momma is black . Do your child’s hair as you please…or do some research… good lord

3 Likes

Never be upset for wanting to learn to care for your daughters hair! That’s a great momma right there in my eyes! If no one wants to teach you teach your self girl! YouTube can be your best friend! I can say just always use the hair grease to keep the flyaways down and it helps keep your lines clean in the braids! Get it momma! I’m happy your wanting to learn to help your babygirl!

3 Likes

The only people who seem to be offended by hair is people on tiktok lmao do your babies hair!

1 Like

I just saw an article but can’t remember the site but it was about online courses to teach parents how to do hair maybe Google and see what resources you can find.

Curly hair care exists. You want your daughter to have black hairstyles. Just say that.

1 Like

its sad that this poor woman is worried about offending people by doing her daughters hair…

18 Likes

Deva Curl is a common certificate and product line designed for individuals with curls. You can find trained stylists here: https://www.devacurl.com/finder

Bottom line: please make sure to take care of her hair and remind her how beautiful it is.

2 Likes

It’s all about the texture of her hair. If her hair is fine tight braids will not be good for it. I would go to a salon before you do any styles that could harm her hair.

YouTube. There should be tons of tutorials. Have your daughter watch some with you, and see what SHE likes (if she is old enough to say that is)

2 Likes

My daughter is 14 and both of her parents are white she taught herself she does get some negative feedback about it but she still does it. There is always going to be somebody

3 Likes

So many awful comments… nobody knows her situation or why she waited so long to ask these questions. The point is a MOTHER ASKING ADVICE NOT JUDGMENT TO HELP HER CHILD! There are helpful sites and videos, connect with the husbands family or friends who have the same hair type, go to a salon those are great helpful comments but the judging and saying you waited 8years you are on your own now Google it is not helpful. God forbid anyone being negative on here need help and have to ask a moms group that should be a safe space. You don’t agree with her post move on like damn.

You can call your local cosmetology school and see if they have any braiding classes for the public. I learned how to cornrow while attending and my school was in Orange County but we still offered classes. Either way getting her a bonnet to sleep in is helpful in protection.

1 Like

Just ask her family, your friends, nothing wrong with asking to learn to do your child’s hair.

2 Likes

You are learning a technique that will benefit your child’s life. Do it momma! If anyone got anything to say they can pick a bill of yours to pay :nail_care:t3:

5 Likes

If his mom is still around and willing. Ask your MIL to teach you. It would be a great bonding experience. And you will gain the information you need.

5 Likes

I’m have the same situation with my daughters hair. I understand where you’re coming from.

Check out https://missjessies.com
Their products work well on different textures and they have some pictures to help a bit. You can even contact them on social media. As far as braiding you’d may need to ask around to find a good braider. If you see someone with nice braids ask if they can recommend you for your daughter.

1 Like

Im a mother of 2 biracial children as well. My daughter has a 3c hair type. You can youtube different videos but when it comes to products, they can be hit or miss. Some wont be thick enough and others will be too thick so its all about experimenting. Some products will dry her hair out as well(cantu products did for my daughter). But a few rules i live by: dont wash too much(more then once every 1 to 2 weeks) and dont brush her hair, comb it with a wide tooth comb from the bottom up. When it comes to styles i personally cannot manage to do it without her hair wet so after showers i add in african pride olive miracle oil moisturizer lotion (the one product i have found that isnt too light or heavy), comb it out and style. However, be careful styling wet hair and keep it a bit loose because breakage can definitely happen. You dont necessarily need to learn to braid to the scalp theres plenty of other styles that you can do with regular braids. Just youtube or look for pics on the internet and keep practicing. She is mixed so regardless of what people may say, her hair needs to be taken care of and if her hair is anything like my daughters then you definitely need to learn how to do protective hairstyles and just experiment with products ( shae moisture can be good-walmart. And mixed chicks-amazon.) We also do deep conditioning treatments every few weeks and i have hair scarfs and bonnets as well for her to sleep in(they always come off tho). Oh and a silk pillowcase will help with some frizz. Dont feel some type of way for learning to care for your childs hair. It needs to be done regardless of how people feel. And DO NOT i repeat do not just cake gel in her hair to keep the frizz away just take it down and do her hair again. Caking gel will suffocate and kill her hair and also have her scratching her head all day. Ill attach a pic of my daughters hair for reference. Also bella curls curl defining creme is amazing for hair down styles.

2 Likes

I have natural curly hair but I’m not mixed, or black. Anyone can have curly hair. I follow the curly girl method, there’s a few CG (curly girl) groups on Facebook you can join. I know the groups I’m in are supportive of parents with mixed kids and are really happy to offer advice on how to manage the curl.

2 Likes

First of all fuck what ppl think. Ppl would be so much better off if you stop giving a fuck about offending everyone. Find out what you can, ask around, you two can learn together :heart:

You’re child is clearly not whyte passing and you tube is your friend

2 Likes

Watch some YouTube videos

In my opinion, no matter the race/cultural background you do what’s best for your daughter. However her hair is or the styles you and her like go for it. Definitely get some advice and pointers from people you know that can do that style/texture hair. I’m sure she’s beautiful no matter what hair style she has. (Never heard the term “White passing”) I have a biracial sister and my mother did her hair up in braids (she wasn’t too good with styling) but she did what we could. My hairs thick and fizzy she just threw it up in 1 big braid so she didn’t have to comb my birds nest 24/7 lol

2 Likes

I would say until you find some good resources to teach you how to treat your daughters hair send her to a professional. Or ask family member or friends to help you out.

1 Like

Braids aren’t a one culture thing and a lot of women of color in other groups get pretty peeved when people think it’s rude to braid hair. As a mom and a sister to a poc please learn to braid her hair and teach her how to care for her hair as a person of color. Find a women of color in your town who would be willing to teach you I have a good friend who is a poc and she has taught me how to do different braids over the years and products to use. Your daughter will appreciate you taking the time to learn to do her hair as she gets older

Do the hairstyles that u can do,plus u can learn to do whichever.Don’t care what ppl say,she’s your child

You are the mother who cares what people think because you want to learn how to do braids stop coming up with excuses of why you can’t do it and just learn that is why the have dolls you can learn on. Just because you are white doesn’t mean you can’t learn how to braid. I have mixed kids myself and I don’t let no one tell me or stop me from learning my kids culture

1 Like

Upset people by learning how to braid? Learn how to braid. My best friends growing up taught me. I practiced on everyone and can braid all hair types. When my mixed kids came along I was ready for them. Its a responsibility to know how to care for your child’s hair (or pay for it). There is nothing to worry about. If you ever cross someone offended by that, please know theyvare a one off and not the norm.

5 Likes

Toddler Hair Styles :sparkling_heart:

Why don’t you have Black friends? Where is his family? Why didn’t you think of this before having kids with a Black man? What does white passing have to do with anything? How are you very, very white?

Pay and take a class. This really isn’t that hard. And I feel for your child growing up with no Black people around her.

6 Likes

So black is good enough to f with, but not good enough for you to learn the culture for the sake of your own child? How are you not aware of varied hair textures? Smh.
Many white ppl & non Blacks have naturally textured hair btw. How does an 8yo with a black parent (in the house presumably) pass for anything other than mixed? Aren’t you both active in her activities & school life? If so, won’t folks see that she’s not 100% white?
Don’t you have any non “very white” (your words) friends or a trained hairstylist?

4 Likes

Be proud of your child and ask an expert for help

1 Like