My daughter told me she was bi-sexual: Advice?

Support her decisions and she’ll want to be more open with you.

2 Likes

She’s not too young to know her sexual preference. I’m not sure how I’d feel about my 13 year old dating (anyone) but really, there’s not much you can do about it. Accept this is who she is and let her know you love her no matter what.

3 Likes

Is this really a question you fucking Support her, don’t make her think she’s crazy or unloved or wrong for how she feels, I knew I was bi at 8 but I was unlucky and was shamed for having feelings like that and it destroyed my childhood, my child who uses the pronouns they/them came out as a lesbian when they were 10 and I poured all the love I could into them and let them know I will love them unconditionally no matter who they love, they are 13 now and they have had a gf for over a year and I wholeheartedly support them, recently they have been taking about having feelings of wanting to be a boy and guess what I 100% support their decision if that is what they want. Your child needs your support not your judgment, it’s not your place to tell them who they are and how they feel.

At 13 you know what you like and good for her being comfortable enough to tell you!

3 Likes

Umm be a supportive parent

6 Likes

I knew I liked boys when I was in preschool. 13 is definitely old enough to know. You wouldn’t bat an eye if she told you she liked boys. Why is this any different

6 Likes

It’s so awesome she feels safe enough to share this with you! My daughter came out when she was about 13, I admit that at first I was not sure how to feel. But I gave her a safe place to talk freely about her feelings. And to be honest all I have ever wanted for for my children was to be happy, well rounded humans. Her sexuality has never changed the depth of my love for her. Stay strong Momma it seems like you are doing a great job!!

2 Likes

My 11 year old recently told me she’s “gay”. I told her she’s rather young to label herself but if she still feels that way later then that’s just who she was born to be. But no girlfriends or boyfriend’s until she’s 30.

1 Like

Support her , what the hell is wrong with people. Sure she shouldn’t be out having sex and such, but if she knows she likes girls or is even curious what’s wrong with that??? At 13 they have school dances, and kids usually bring a date with them . Just support her

2 Likes

Who cares??? You that pressed about her MAYBE being with another girl one day? Why?

3 Likes

Tell her to be who she is and then don’t make a big deal about it . She’s young, she’s learning. If she is then don’t love her any less but you already know she doesn’t know yet so what’s the fuss :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Be open to it. Yes she young and not a lot of experience. She may change her mind like a fad . Just be open minded about it.

Nah not too young, once you start thinking about love you also start to gain feelings

1 Like

At that age… I liked both also. :sweat_smile: hell, I’m in my 30s and still got no damn clue what I actually want :sweat_smile:
Just be supportive and have open talks

Support her. I knew when I was 10 and held it in and never told anyone until I was 30. Let her be her and not change her. My mom supports me and loves me no matter who I love and I’m attracted to because in the end it’s her choice and always will be not your choice.

1 Like

I would honestly not show any type of upset. She very well could be our like many new teens is trying to find herself and where she fits in, in the world. My daughter said the same thing and now she says she doesn’t think she is. Many teens go with what the current “trend” is among their peers. Just continue to love her!

3 Likes

She is very aware of what’s she likes. Support her and be happy she even felt confident enough to come out to you.

4 Likes

When you know, you know. Some kids know when they are 4 or 5. Be supportive, let her express herself.

2 Likes

I knew at the age of 11 :woman_shrugging: just accept her for who she is.

I will never understand claiming to love your child and hating any part of them. Unconditional is supposed to be unconditional. Disgusting.

10 Likes

At that age, I don’t believe they have a full understanding yet. I could be more of a rebellious act. She wants to get a reaction out of you. Be supportive and she will either let it go or she will decide she does like girls. Safer anyway. No worries of an early pregnancy.

5 Likes

Well first of all, being bi-sexual is not a “decision”. Support her… Plain and simple. There is no other option.

9 Likes

My son knew he was gay at 8. I knew when he was 2 lol. He is now 13 and very open and comfortable with it. There’s enough ugly in the world. Home should be there safe space and support.

10 Likes

I told my daughter “cool” and we talk about it like any other relationship. It isn’t an issue unless you make it an issue.

7 Likes

As for my daughter! I always knew! There are worst things to be then Bi! Support her ! She is at that age where she knows! I support my daughter 2000% worst things in life , then being gay or Bi or Trans :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Its her life, her body, her brain, up to her to figure it out, just support her and love her.

3 Likes

Just be happy for her don’t make it sound like she is a failure If she is happy because that’s what most parents want is their child happy

2 Likes

Decision? I don’t think you understand how this works.

6 Likes

Love is love it has no gender…love her unconditionally

3 Likes

Not to young at all now in my opinion to young for a boy friend or girlfriend but not to young to know she’s attracted to both genders. Just love and accept her

4 Likes

Um, be a mum and be happy she feels she can talk to you and not be judged, by the one person she depends on. It’s her choice not yours…

7 Likes

So is she too young to have a girlfriend or is she too you to be bisexual? Was she old enough to have a boyfriend?

4 Likes

Might be to young to have a bf or a gf or fully understand the commitment behind having a bf or a gf but she definitely isn’t to young to know who she loves or likes or is attracted to. At that age we were all kinda curious about kissing and holding hands and having a bf or gf. Totally normal. Just treat it like you would if she said she was dating a boy. Dating is dating and the advice, acceptance and love for her stays the same. Dont over think it.

2 Likes

Support her at any age

1 Like

Be supportive plz :rainbow::rainbow::rainbow: and yes she is old enough to understand her sexuality

2 Likes

To young to be dating period but the world is different now and everyones ok with it… So 💁 I’m stuck just like you mama

1 Like

Just be supportive don’t judge her.

1 Like

It’s not a decision educate yourself.

4 Likes

I think she’s a bit young, and should be too inexperienced to make that kind of decision.

Seriously? Definitely not to young to have crushes and attractions. Who cares the gender as long as it’s a good person who makes her happy.

3 Likes

Please don’t be like my mom and shut her down. Just support her :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

4 Likes

I swear to God some of the questions people ask on this page are unbelievable.

My son came out at 12 and he is now going to be 15 next month he hasn’t dated or even a boyfriend we support him and love him no matter what :heart: if your daughter is happy that’s all that counts and should matter just take sometime and think it’s a shock I know it was for me but i was just happy he didn’t have to hide who he was anymore he is so much more happier I’m truly blessed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Support her. She came out of her shell to tell you. Don’t ever shut her down

No matter what she is your daughter.

Your relationship with your daughter can’t truly be so awful if she felt comfortable enough to tell you she’s bi. Or maybe I’m wrong and she did it because she thought it would hurt you? Either way, just support her. She’ll feel relieved that she could “share” with you. Or be pissed that it didn’t send you into a frenzy!! But it might make her rethink her attitude towards you.
You don’t have to like or agree with what she’s told you. But it’s not about you. A little support, a hug, letting her know you have her back will go a long way!!

4 Likes

If she’s old enough to have a boyfriend in your opinion, then she’s old enough for a girlfriend. Let her be, if you’re okay with her dating in general. My dad always said there’s more to worry about if it’s boys. Just be supportive of her, love her and respect her choices.

I knew at 8 years old. :woman_shrugging: some do some don’t. All you can do is take her word for it while SHE navigates being a 13 year old on her OWN.

2 Likes

I would rather my daughter date a girl at that age then a boy. You still need to have the sex talk with her but hey at least you don’t have to worry about a baby.

2 Likes

Who cares who she dates she is to young to date anyone.

1 Like

Look at it this way, when I was 13 I thought Justin Timberlake was hot, I’m pretty sure I would have noticed if I thought the same about Brittany spears. :rofl::ok_hand:t2:

Just support your child no matter what👏🏻

She’s too young to have a girlfriend OR boyfriend, in my opinion :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

She isn’t to young to know who she likes but to date yes obviously

1 Like

Okayyyy :joy: my sister came to my mom at 7 telling her she was bi my sister obviously didn’t put it that way cause she was 7. Now she’s 16 and still is. Age does not matter it’s not a choice or decision its who you are. There are children who know they are gay at a very young age. As for her being too young to date, I started dating boys at 13… obviously it was going to the mall and stuff in groups but nothing more than a peck on the lips and holding hands.

My daughter is 10 and said she’s “a lesbian” I talked with her and discussed that maybe she’s bi-sexual since she does see boys as cute. Be understanding and let her know you support her; hopefully you do. Otherwise; she’s going to push you away and you’ll have an even harder time with her.

3 Likes

I think you should just go with the flow! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: if she tells you she’s bi make sure she knows thats okay and that your happy as long as she’s happy! I came out in 7th grade and my family was totally accepting and told me they already knew. It made me feel way more comfortable about my relationship with other girls knowing I didn’t have to hide it and i could be honest with them .

1 Like

Are girls too young at 13 to know they like boys and have boyfriends as well to you? That’s how you should look at it. if you would think differently for a boyfriend and straight, that’s what you need to think on for a while and work out why you think that. We don’t decide to be who we are. We just are. It’s what others choose to think about what we are.

I don’t know how there is question about her sexuality at 13…I’m pretty sure we all know by 13 whom we are attracted too. I love how it’s only a question when they happen to be bi or gay.

2 Likes

Just tell her you love her no matter what but she is to young to be dating.

Invite her girlfriend over for dinner? Try meeting with the parents as well. Explain the importance of safe sex and be supportive.

2 Likes

I know your pain! I found out through social media about my daughter when she was 7th grade and I cried like a baby. I sat her down and asked if it was true and she told me yes she felt she has always liked girls. Of course the first thing you ask is are you sure you only like girls? After realizing the harsh reality of how this cold world would treat her because she is lesbian so I decided to put my pride aside and support her as her mother. The last thing I want for my child is to face the world alone because she is NOT alone. I think that’s the best part of being a mother is that you love your kids unconditionally!

Now that she is open the world is okay with it. So no matter your opinion don’t tear down your child just be there to uplift him/her. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

2 Likes

At such a young age, curiosity and confusion is not unusual, in my opinion. Especially with the society we live in today. I would only become concerned if she started talking about a sex change. It’s one thing to cope with bodily abnormalities. Humans have perverted the race over centuries and chemical/ neurological imbalances are no surprise. Physical mutilation is an abomination. Again, just my opinion. Love your daughter and give her space. 13 is a rough time for children. A major hormonal change.

2 Likes

Support and love her. If she knows, she knows. I would ask her to invite the gf over and when you have them both talk to them a bit. Then talk to them about keeping it just friends for a couple more years and if they still want to date at 15 or 16 (or whatever dating age you decide) then you will welcome that relationship with open arms.

3 Likes

My daughter came out as bisexual at 13. She’s now 17 and she has a girlfriend now. I have never judged her for how she felt. She was so afraid to tell me at first. But I’m the type of person that believes you love who you love, regardless of gender. I fully support her and her decision. At the end of the day, its her life and all I can do is guide her and give her advice and hope she makes the right choices.

2 Likes

My 11 year old daughter just told me the same a few weeks ago. That she’s bi, I was completely taken off guard she doesn’t have a girlfriend or boyfriend, she’s never even had a crush as far as I know so this took me off guard. I love and support her unconditionally no matter what, I just am having a hard time rationalizing this internally or understanding how she knows she’s bi while here I never knew she looked at anyone in that like like you way lol. Or if this is some trend

I knew I was into girls around age 8 or 9 :woman_shrugging: support her or lose her, it’s your choice

6 Likes

I knew by the time I was 7 that I liked girls 🤷🏻
Just love her, support her. Meet the girlfriend and keep good communication with your daughter. She felt comfortable enough to tell you. Continue to be that comfort.

1 Like

My daughter came out when she was 11. My son came out also a few years ago. They’re my babies and I’ve always let them know that. I wouldn’t trade them for anything in the world. Do they get on my nerves? Sure… but they knew they could come to me with anything, without judgment and I still be their mom. Just make sure you offer a great support system for her as a mother is supposed to do :blush:

If she had a boyfriend would you say she is too young to know if she is heterosexual? If the answer is no, then you need to really search your heart for why there is a difference. If it is just about dating then you need to set the rules for dating.

1 Like

My niece just turned 12 and has known about a year that she doesn’t like boys. It’s definitely not to early. Just be there and support your baby no matter what. You are her safe place in this world full of opinionated ppl. She’s gonna need you to talk too. Let her know you love her no matter what.

It’s not a decision she’s made, and no she is not too young to know what and who she likes. There’s nothing to feel here unless you don’t approve of her sexual orientation, and in that case, that is your personal issue. If you think she’s too young to have a girlfriend or boyfriend, then that would totally be within your realm of parenting, but remember that if there’s a will there’s a way and they will figure out ways to be together with it without your permission. Good luck!!

2 Likes

Support her and love her and whom is important in her life.

2 Likes

She’s still your daughter. Be happy she’s living her truth. As an lgbtq+ parent the best thing you can do is love your daughter and support her. Your relationship will be so much better.

3 Likes

I knew at this age I was bi-sexual. The reason you’re having an issue with it is because as a society we automatically assume everyone is straight until they tell us otherwise. Be supportive to her, if you aren’t I promise it will negatively affect your relationship. And so what if she wants to have a girlfriend, this way you don’t have to worry about her getting pregnant

2 Likes

My 11 year old says she plans to marry a girl because she doesn’t want anyone to stick anything inside her when she’s married, lol. I told her that’s great, but she needs to be prepared that she may find boys more attractive than girls when she gets older. She already acts different around boys her age, so I can’t imagine she isn’t interested. She says the boys at school are scared of her, so she decided she likes girls better. I told her to give it time and she can decide who she wants to kiss when she’s older. If it’s girls, cool. If it’s boys, cool. I told her I tried kissing both and I liked boys way more, so I married one. It’s no big deal. Don’t make it a big deal. “OK that’s great. I can’t wait to meet your gf, but remember when she comes over the 2 of you have to stay downstairs or keep the door open, just like with boys.” Or whatever your rules are. Let her figure it out. Who cares? She will be whoever she will be. It changes nothing. If she marries a woman, she can still have kids. If she marries a man, she might still adopt. Whatever. None of this changes anything. Just make sure she knows about consent and protection -regardless of who she is with- and then move on with your lives.

8 Likes

Tell her she isnt old enough to be anysexual hahahah but she can like whoever she chooses and be with whomever she chooses when she is old enough for those things and u will love her either way

3 Likes

Would you be posting the same thing if she liked a boy?

5 Likes

Transmasc Non-binary, Pansexual, and I’ve known since I was young… But I didn’t fully come out until I was an adult

I came out to my mom when I was 12 my mom never judged or cared at first she thought it was just a faze but I’m an adult and I’m still bi 🤷

I knew I liked girls at 12, don’t underestimate your child. Just support her

Are you kidding me? You love and accept your daughter how she is. If not, she is gonna grow to resent you. Because you don’t get to tell another human how to feel.

4 Likes

She’s still not allowed to date until she’s 16. Group dates at 15. That’s what I told mine. You get dropped off and picked up for school dances, movies, and mall crawls with your friends. No exceptions.

4 Likes

I agree,. If she is bi at 11, and adamant about it, I would offer as much support possible, but, like Ashlee McCormick said she is young . Love her no matter what.

I accept my daughter for whomever she chooses to love. But around this age she thought she was just into girls but founds she likes them both. She’s 15 now. I think it’s normal to explore new things and find what you like. But she isn’t dating anyone.
Regardless make sure she knows you love and accept her no matter what. Me and my daughter are open with each other. She tells me things that I would of never opened up about with my parents at this age. And I respect her so much for it.

3 Likes

Let her figure herself out. There’s nothing wrong with being bisexual or gay. She is who she is.

2 Likes

Let it be!
If u let her know u don’t like it she will push harder. Let her learn for herself . It’s a good thing she came to u, and trust u enough to tell u these things. Now if u freak out she will never tell u again. U need to make her feel like she can tell u anything. So when she does go to have sex for the first time she will come to u ab questions and protectection. It’s hard I know I have a teen . I was also a teen mom and wa sterrified if telling my mom things. If I could of felt comfortable to talk w her I wouldn’t of done the dumb shit I did do bc I didn’t know any better. I’m doing this w my teen now. He came to me ab some things and I was open as hard as it was to be. But bc of this I knew what he was doing and knew he was being stupid ab something and I intervened. If he wouldn’t of told me his ass would of been in a big mess. We have a great relationship and he tells me things I could never tell my mom. U have to let her decide who she is as a person. U may not like that person but u will love that person no matter what.

Just support her. At the end of the day, she’s your Daughter. Love her for whoever she is.

4 Likes

People forget kids grow and feel things out. My daughter is the same way. But I tell her boy, girl, or pizza you still have to follow the rules and be careful

4 Likes

dating at 12 i’m not comfortable with but her coming out to you is acceptable by that age. at least that’s my opinion if i think of my own children.

To the OP…don’t feel bad or guilty. Some of the commenters are just rude. No, you didn’t word the post wrong. No you aren’t wrong for even asking. And no, you wouldn’t be wrong to be worried or concerned. Why? Bc parenting doesn’t come with a handbook, and most of these women posting wouldn’t have even kept their children alive for as long as they have, without FB.

M daughter did the EXACT thing at that age. Thought she like girls and even kissed one. I just let it play out. Her words EXACTLY were “I’m glad I’m outta that phase!” She will 15 this month. According to her…every songle girl
In middle school and junior high go through it now. When I asked her why, she claims Bc that’s just what they do now. Yay for 2021. Were everyone walks around confused Bc they’ve got the entire world telling them it’s ok to be.

Moral of the story, she will get through this phase too. And if, just if, she happens to be gay, embrace it and love her the same.

11 Likes

No one would be questioning if she has a boyfriend at 13. It isn’t a choice or a decision to be made. Its who she is.

7 Likes

So your daughter trusted you enough to come out to you, and now you’re making it about you?? Get over it. What difference does it make?? I would hardly call this situation “hell”.

6 Likes

Shes 13 and you said you’ve been going through hell with her… maybe she is insecure and lashing out. Accept her for her. My dad used to make jokes about it with me. I’m bi too I love people for people not their anatomy. And get her som therapy if she’s giving you so much grief imagine how much she’s got going on

2 Likes

Who cares? As long as she’s a good person .

For me dating at 13 is a no go regardless of gender :woman_shrugging: at 16 my daughter could date any gender …just be a good kid :+1:

1 Like

I don’t think she’s to young to know who she likes. I think most people have crushes pretty young. Even younger than she is. As far as having a gf, that’s a personal parenting choice. I wouldn’t allow sleepovers but I would be okay with them hanging out

2 Likes

At the end of the day,u love & accept your daughter for the person she is,no matter how/who she chooses to love…Your daughter needs to feel comfortable with telling u one of her biggest life secrets,so support her…

2 Likes

In terms of coming out or figuring out her identity - Accept her, support her, love her. Dating, treat it no different to if she was straight?

3 Likes

She’s too young to say she likes boy AND girls but she’s not too young to say she likes just boys??

1 Like

She’s too young to make that kind of decision? How old were you when you “decided” which gender you were attracted to? My older son told us that he is gay when he was 12 years old. My husband and I both already knew. We both support him. Children need their parents love and support. Telling us that he’s gay was by far the hardest thing my son has ever done. I am beyond proud that he felt comfortable enough to tell us. I never want him to feel like he needs to hide that part of himself.

3 Likes

At 13…I was NONsexual.

3 Likes

My almost 14-year-old daughter is bisexual. When they know, they know. Just let her know you’ll support her no matter what. That’s all kids ever want from us. You can make her insecure if you don’t handle this correctly.

3 Likes