My daughter will not stop cutting her own hair: advice?

My 7 almost 8 year old daughter keeps cutting her hair!! I am at my wits end and I’m about to shave her bald. She continues to lie about it and make excuses about cutting it. She says she hates having to move it out of her face which is why she cuts it but she keeps cutting it short so it keeps getting in her face… HELP

165 Likes

Help a mama out and respond anonymously on our forum. My daughter will not stop cutting her own hair: advice? - Mamas Uncut

I was the same way. She’s sensory seeking. Get her a mannequin she can cut or some cheap clip in extensions off amazon. Or she’s looking for some control in her life.

7 Likes

My daughter did the same a few times and had excuses. It eventually stopped. Hers wasnt super drastic though.

Take her to a hairdresser and help her manage it how SHE wants it?

13 Likes

Get her a pixie cut done!!!

2 Likes

Hide the scissors :scissors:

3 Likes

Take her to go get a haircut. Choose one together maybe. While I understand you not wanting her hair to be an absolute mess, it is her hair. She might just hate the feeling of it anywhere on her face.

8 Likes

Take the scissors away

4 Likes

Um maybe buy a lock box and put all scissors and trimmers in it…

3 Likes

Let her go nuts with you there to help guide where she can cut! You may have a future hair expert

3 Likes

Give her a pixie cut and hide the scissors

5 Likes

Buy her some Barrett’s or head bands to keep hair out of her eyes

2 Likes

Take all the scissors away :woman_shrugging:t3:

4 Likes

Take her to salon or local beauty school to have a fixer upper trim. Maybe she’d feel better about her hair

4 Likes

My daughter does this and lies like it’s just not growing :neutral_face:

Put the scissors up where she can’t find them

2 Likes

I had a mullet because I cut my hair so bad but I stopped cutting it eventually.

I Get Paid 0ver $ 109 per hour w0rking from h0me. I never thought l’d be able to do it but my colleague makes over $ 13866 a m0nth doing this and she convinced me t0 try. The possibility with this is limitless.

SEE MORE HERE… https://LifeStyles41.pages.dev

Get her some boppy bins or barettes however you spell it. I hate my hair touching my face. Always have

Is it really that hard to put scissors up?

3 Likes

Take her to a hair dresser and let her find a cut she likes. Autistic kids often have sensory issues. My nieces are barely on the spectrum, but they won’t wear socks. It was a constant battle over socks. Bought them some with no seams and it ended the problem. Her hair brushing her face disturbs her. So help her solve it rather than nagging.

Lol put the scissors away, it’s as simple as that

7 Likes

Just cut it all off seems she wouldn’t mind

My grandson has done this numerous times…very annoying,we have to take him and get his head shaved…:unamused:

Keep scissors away from her??

4 Likes

Shave it.
I had a shaved head in my 20s. I miss it so much.

You could even see about finding cute kids sized wigs for her to have hair some days for the fun of it.

Or maybe get cheap wigs for her to cut

1 Like

I’d take her to a hairdresser to have her hair done the way she likes… and maybe consider whether this may be a sign of something deeper like anxiety or dysmorphia

10 Likes

I would hide scissors but ALSO ask her how she would like her hair cut. Show her pictures and let her pick out a hair cut.

2 Likes

My 12 year old always cuts her hair. She is getting really good at it. 8 might be a bit to young to do alone. Just supervise her

I’d say take her in give her a short hair cut… She’s obviously wanting it short. So let her have it

Cut it pixie short. Kids are cute no matter what.

3 Likes

It’s common, I don’t think any of mine DIDN’T cut their hair… … I am particular who’s been doing it She’s almost 13… And it’s because she has really thick dark hair and it grows so fast that it is always getting in her eyes and unfortunately her mom (I’m THE stepmom🙄) does not cut her bangs every other month like she should… may e just cut her back every few weeks??

It’s just hair :woman_shrugging:t2: maybe take her to a hair dresser so she doesn’t feel she has to do it herself

2 Likes

A trip to the hair salon might help.

1 Like

Get her some Barrettes and head bands she can play with hairstyles. The Barretts will keep her hair out of her way.

Take her to get a hair cut and let her pick it?

Just let her cut it. It’s hair, it’ll grow back. She’ll stop eventually

I would seek therapy

3 Likes

You’ll shave it bald if she continues…but it’s bothering you that she cutting it short?!!
… ummmm make it make, make sense

1 Like

Does she like maybe wearing her hair up try that different hair styles etc make her love her hair instead of shaving or cutting it short!!

2 Likes

Two options … shave it off or put the scissors away.

1 Like

Keep it short cureently have super long hair and I understand her frustration with it being in the face

1 Like

Take her to get a pixie cut and pick it out together she might want a short hair cut and that take all the scissors away from her and only let her have them when your with her at the table for school or projects you guys do together 

1 Like

Let her pick a haircut she wants at a salon.
I’m grown and still cut my own hair. She may end up being a stylist.
My son tried to cut his own hair one time and I let him pick out his own haircut and I cut it to what he wanted. He hasn’t tried to do it since.

3 Likes

Get her a short hair cut to where hair won’t fall in her face. Problem solved

2 Likes

Take her to a salon and have them cut it like she wants.

1 Like

Get rid of the scissors she obviously has access to. I never understand when parents throw tantrums about their kids cutting their own hair but fail to put the scissors up or just get rid of them completely. Put her hair up and use hairspray to keep it in place and out of her face.

3 Likes

Cut it short then. My daughter use to twist her hair so bad her fingers would get caught up. We had to cut it short. She loves the short hair now and chooses it.

Okay… Chill out… It’s just hair, it will grow back. No need to traumatize your kid over their own hair.
If her hair is bothering her this much that she’s resorting to trimming it herself, take her to a hairdresser and let her tell the hairdresser how she would like her hair cut.

Also, removing scissors might not stop the behaviour. My kid legitimately cut their own hair with their teeth. I’ve known some kids to resort to ripping it out entirely or trying to tear it apart.

4 Likes

Get her hair cut short.

She’s telling you why she’s doing it, tie or clip it out her face? I hate my own hair falling on my face constantly i know that feeling

1 Like

Take her to a salon an get a cut that keeps her hair out of her face but one that you’re also ok with as well. She’s a child and isn’t prepared for the entire responsibility of choosing a hair style just yet.

Get her a haircut where its out of her face and she will stop cutting it. A cute pixie cut for a while until she decides to try something else would likely help a lot.

4 Likes

Tell her you can put it up or pin it.
If she wants to cut it, let her cut her. Just warn her of the repercussions if it’s too short/botchy.

It’s her hair.

Try mousse, gels, hair sprays, etc to style it outta her face. Look up online different styles and ask her which one she’d like to try and then take her to a salon.

1 Like

Take her to the hair stylist and have a cut short and take the scissors away

6 Likes

Ugh my daughter did this as well. In the morning I’d have to use those butterfly barrettes and put about 10 in her hair so that the stubs wouldn’t stick out. Now that she’s older, she’s always doing her own hair. She’ll stop eventually. Mine used to do it right before picture day SMH :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

Put it in a style that doesn’t get on her face or have it cut so that it’s not in her face. If she continues after that then something more is going on then it just “being in her face”.

1 Like

Usually when kids do this it means they are trying to create their own identity. Take her to get her hair cut anyways she likes

4 Likes

As a retired teacher- it never failed that bangs got whacked off the night before school pictures!!

Go take her to get her hair cut. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Give her a buzz cut. She obviously prefers comfort over vanity. I say, good girl. Buzz it off.

1 Like

Lock the scissors up?

2 Likes

Let her have it cut how she wants it :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Braid her hair out of her face? Get accessories that keep the hair out of her face ? That’s what I did when my daughter what complain about her hair

If she doesn’t have access to scissors, she can’t cut her hair!

3 Likes

Why does she have access to scissors ?

3 Likes

Maybe she dosnt like long hair show her a couple of new hairstyles see what she likes she might not be able to tell you but her actions are showing you she wants somthing different?

2 Likes

Put the scissors where she can’t get them not being mean but all of that stuff should be in a hiding place.

4 Likes

Take her to get it cut
I always did that when I was that age
My sister cut it short for me and gave me bangs and I never cut my hair again
We’ll till I was in high school and I wanted short hair again lol

2 Likes

Omg my 8 yo is the same way!!! She keeps cutting the whispies in front where she once had bangs and doesn’t understand they grow back and stick right back up again. It’s BEYOND annoying. I keep trying to explain to her that she has to let them grow out so they won’t be in her face anymore. We tie and clip back but she’ll be in a mood and just cut them.

The lying thing ticks me off more than anything else because it’s so obvious and there’s no need for it. Following in case anyone has some amazing advise.

Maybe she dosnt like long hair show her a couple of new hairstyles see what she likes she might not be able to tell you but her actions are showing you she wants somthing different?

1 Like

Take her to the salon so she can get a cut that works for her.

1 Like

Braid it back so it doesn’t get in her face or cut it short enough to where it won’t fall in her face.

1 Like

How does she keep getting a hold of scissors? I would make sure that she cannot find any.

Keep her bangs and hair pulled back with clips or elastics. And take her to the salon and let her pick out a hairstyle that SHE wants and likes… that might keep her from wanting to cut hers. It’s her hair and it’ll grow back if you’re not a fan of it. We have to pick our battles as parents sometimes.

1 Like

Let her rock ugly chopped hair…

Why are the scissors anywhere she can get to them?
Can you not grab her headbands or tries and teach her to keep it back?
Take her to a stylist and let her find a style that she likes and will stay out of her face.
I have a pixie cut for that reason.

Well some kids don’t like their hair in their face. Try short hair and see how she likes that. She may like it better.

I’ve had issues with my hair being in face as a kid and use to tell my dad I hated it until I was blue in the face and he never did anything about it so I cut it. Eventually he got sick of me doing it myself and allowed me to choose a haircut that was short and didn’t allow hair in my face. I was like 6. I’ve kept my hair short since. Still can’t stand my hair in my face. I’m 24.

1 Like

My mom shaved my head when I was 8. Taught me to take care of it

Let her rock it :woman_shrugging:

Hide the scissors Mom

1 Like

She’s telling you she doesn’t like how it’s styled. Take her to a salon and have it done properly so that it works for her and better suits her needs.

My nearly 5 year old has done this on and off for the last year. I got all the scissors out of her reach, but noticed a small section snipped recently. She fessed up to where she found the scissors and told me that she cut it because she wants it shorter; we’ll be going soon to have it trimmed to her liking. LISTEN to your child.

7 Likes

Take her to get a cute short hair style! Something like this is cute and low maintenance for girlies who don’t like hair in their face🥰

Could it be a type of impulse she may have?

Let her pick a super short hair style

1 Like

When my daughter did this I took scissors away

1 Like

Cut it short, I had short hair growing up

Clearly She Wants it Cut a Certain Way! Oblige Her! The Problem is ???

1 Like

Let her pick out a haircut she wants and take her to get it done. Maybe she wants it short. And hide the scissors!!!

It’s her hair. Maybe take her to get it done in a way it stays out of her face, or buy her gel, or bobby pins, barrettes or something. I can’t blame her, I hate hair in my face too.

1 Like

She wants short hair quite clearly. Take her to a hairdresser, let your child be who they want to be

1 Like

Why dont you take her to get a hair cut she wants??

2 Likes

Umm How does she keep getting scissors to do it lol I would’ve hid them long time ago out of reach and bring her to a salon

2 Likes

Shave her head - she’ll think twice about cutting her hair when it grows back - or maybe she’ll like it and keep it shaved.

If she doesn’t have bangs let a stylist cut her some bangs being summer can were in ponytail or a cute bun and hide your scissors will help :laughing:

So take her to get it cut. Jfc it’s not rocket science.

6 Likes

Why are scissors so easily accessible?! Move them…

2 Likes

Why not take her to a hairdresser and let her pick the hairstyle she wants… Oh and hide the scissors.

3 Likes

Ask her to pick a hairstyle she likes and take her to have it done