My daughter will not stop cutting her own hair: advice?

It’s. Her. Hair. :woman_shrugging:t2: Find out what she wants, and take her to have it done.

11 Likes

Ok so don’t shave it lol. But I’d ask her how she wants her hair and take her to have it professionally done however she wants it

Mine did the same thing at that age. I got her a princess Dianna cut and she hasn’t cut it since.

Hide the scissors
Shave her bald
Take her to a salon and let her pick a short hair style

1 Like

It’s normal, just take her to get her hair cut how she wants it.

Show her some short styles let her show you who she wants to be like she may prefer a masculine look or something edgy. Or maybe a cool hairstyle.

2 Likes

Make her cut cardboard. I had same problem with my daughter and boom she hated the cardboard and quit cutting her hair.

2 Likes

Have u tried head bands or clips to keep it out of her face to give her fringe time to grow out then it can all be tied up

1 Like

Let her pick her hair cut

3 Likes

Get her headbands to keep it back :kissing_heart: I personally cannot stand my hair in my face . I learned to have it feathered on top and spray it back or use headbands when it gets to long

Why don’t you put her hair up and then hide your scissors…

1 Like

Take her to actually get it cut how she likes. Ask her if she wants to get a pixie cut? Not hard to figure out

2 Likes

My daughter started doing it at 7 too but end up cutting everytime needed it and she’s 31 and still cuts hers and other people’s it was bc she wanted to cut hair for a living she went to school for but can’t do bc has issues with her wrist…let her go to salon and pick a hair style out of the books they have she may like it’s possible she could have a talent at it though

Let her have short hair

Buy her some clips or pins

To keep cutting her hair she must keep being unsupervised with scissors?

Take her to a hairdresser and get her a new do

1 Like

How is she getting the scissors? And how does she keep hiding it and no one knows until after?

My daughter did the same at age 5… some spots were very very short. We got her a pixie hair cut and put a streak of purple in it. She never did it again

1 Like

Take her to get a hair cut so it’s out of her face to how she wants it. Problem solved

5 Likes

How does she KEEP finding the scissors!

1 Like

My daughter did the same at age 5… some spots were very very short. We got her a pixie hair cut and put a streak of purple in it. She never did it again

2 Likes

Maybe let her pick herself out a short cut at a salon?

2 Likes

It’s normal, my daughter cut hers and her little sisters hair. She wanted bangs so I just took her to get her hair trimmed and some bangs and she hasn’t cut it since. They do it out of curiosity.

I would give her a cute little pixie cut, out-of sight, out of mind.

she needs to understand clips.

Take her to get it cut as she likes. Or start putting her hair up. Or you could just maybe keep all scissors out of her reach.?!

3 Likes

Get her a pixie cut…it’ll be short out of her face and so Cute!!

1 Like

Take her to go get a pixie cut​:sparkling_heart: and call it a day! Your stressing over something you can simply take control of!!!:woman_facepalming:t2::tipping_hand_woman:t2:

4 Likes

My daughter kept cutting her hair too. I just gave up telling her not to, she wanted it how she wanted it and it wasn’t worth the anger and it’s just hair… She eventually stopped a few months ago lol, she is almost 14.

3 Likes

Ask her what kind of style she wants and let her go to a salon and get the cut she wants

2 Likes

Keep scissors out of reach or maybe just shave it

2 Likes

If this is a consistent thing is it a sensory issue? If it’d a sensory issue, just have her hair cut short into something more sensory friendly and manageable! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Take her in to get it cut short

Um hide the sizzers and woop her ass😄

Take her to have it cut shorter the way she will. Like it . Let her choose her own style. And out the scissors out of reach lol

1 Like

Sit down at look at different hair styles online, when she finds one she likes take her to a salon

1 Like

Take her to a stylist, get a layered cut or pixie and she can use products to give it body and keep it manageable.

3 Likes

Put any and all scissors up out of reach or locked up.

1 Like

HOW ABOUT HIDING THE SCISSORS?
Or take her to get a hairstyle she likes that wont have her hair in her eyes?

4 Likes

For one hide all scissors and make her all when she needs them. Watch over get as she uses the scissors. Ask her if anything is bothering her, maybe she’s getting picked on. Take her to a salon to get her hair cut

Get it short and stylish the way she wants

2 Likes

And please, do not shave your daughter bald. You will most likely mess with her self esteem. Jesus

8 Likes

Let her get a professional hair cut,
And remove all scissors from her view and hide them or get ride of them!

4 Likes

I told my daughter you cannot cut hair without a license. If you cut your hair you are breaking the law. If you break the law then you could get into serious trouble. She never
Cut her hair after that.

6 Likes

Headband? Pony tail? Braids?

1 Like

My niece did that and I threated to shave it all off if she did it again and she never did

Just let it go. Let her do it. She may be testing boundaries. No reaction from you might be the reason she stops.

4 Likes

Put her hair in pigtails with pretty ribbons. They definitely will not be in her face. I know from experience I wore them until I was 11 years old.

3 Likes

It’s just a phase she’ll have to grow out of! My daughter was the same way, but now she’s 7 and her hair is down her back. Your daughter’s hair will grow back

2 Likes

My daughter did that three times. After the second, I told her she ever did it again, I was gonna shave her bald. A couple of YEARS later she did it again. I told he to go get my clippers. She cried a LOT. I ended up cutting her hair so short that she complained she looked like a boy. She never did it again.

6 Likes

Why not take her to get a cute short haircut

5 Likes

Maybe keep scissors out of her reach? :woman_shrugging:t3:

5 Likes

Take her to get a haircut she likes…

3 Likes

Get her a cute pixie haircut at a salon. Look online before hand and let her pick what she wants

3 Likes

Get rid of the scissors maybe :woman_shrugging:t3:

2 Likes

Take her get a cute cut with no hair in face if still doing it need help

2 Likes

Shave her bald. NO PROBLEM

3 Likes

Tie up her front part of her hair out of her face and hairspray so it doesn’t move or get dolls from charity shops she can style and hide all cutting utensils

2 Likes

Show her some pixie cuts see if she wants one

3 Likes

What about taking her to get some fun headbands, ponytails/Scrunchies, Bobby pins/hair clips and learning together different ways to do her hair. Have you talked to her about if she wants to cut it, she should come to you and you both can figure it out together. Even if that means taking her to have it professionally done. I would also ask her if it’s truly getting in her face and bothering her or if she likes doing it? If she is just doing it because it’s fun, look into getting her those dolls that are just the heads and letting her do their hair or you could look into buying a wig (you could probably find some cheap Halloween ones online or at a local thrift store) and getting a styrofoam head (Joanns, Meijer, Target, Walmart, etc seem to always have them in the craft department) for the wig to rest on and she could do their hair how she wants

I honestly wouldn’t react negatively because although she’s lying and making excuses, if she says she hates it but keeps cutting it so it’s short and gets in her face - maybe she truly doesn’t know since she is still young. Being young you would assume if you cut your hair, you shouldn’t have a problem with it

2 Likes

Let her pick her own hair cut. She’s old enough.

6 Likes

No scissors no cutting…try to keep in a ponytail or braid

1 Like

Let her have a pixie cut.

1 Like

Let her. Who cares? It’s hair. It comes back.

ETA that taking away her bodily autonomy (ie shaving her head against her will) for punishment would be incredibly Fed up of you

15 Likes

Do NOT, I repeat do NOT shave her head! This is abuse! And she will be bullied for it! Take her to get a cute pixie hair cut.

11 Likes

Take away all the scissors

Take away the scissors

1 Like

Introduction of bobby pins??? Hair clips???

2 Likes

Give her one of those real size doll head things and let her go to town. Find something to redirect the behaviour

7 Likes

Why does it matter? It’s her hair. I would never shave my kids head to make a point, because why exactly are you mad in the first place? Just because you want it to look a certain way doesn’t mean she does and maybe try to sit down and speak to her about what style she wants. She may have seen a cool style on TV and trying to recreate it. She’s a kid, they aren’t perfect

10 Likes

Everyone here saying shave her head are just gross and I feel bad for their kids
Your child is at an age where you should LISTEN to her about her own body, and yes that includes her hair
Don’t punish her because she doesn’t want the hair YOU want her to have, it’s her hair and her eyes, take her to get bangs

8 Likes

How about getting her a haircut she wants…

12 Likes

Take her to a beautician who can cut her hair so it doesn’t get in her face and looks nice on her. Hair cut that you will approve of and she will like it too.

3 Likes

Take away all scissors and introduce accessories like head bands, clips, bows, bobby pins and take her yo the hair dressor

2 Likes

Well shaving it will only give her what she wants so to me, that isn’t going work.

Hide the scizzors!!!

3 Likes

Maybe let her pick out a hair cut to get to get her hair out of her face? Or put her hair up so I’d doesn’t get in her face?

1 Like
  1. hide scissors where she can’t get hold of them.
  2. ask her how she wants her hair. Maybe find an YouTube video or person from a tv show or magazine.
  3. take her to a salon & let her get her hair cut the way she wants it.

She’s directly telling you she doesn’t like her hair style. Listen to your kid & help her.

12 Likes

Honestly my older daughter would do this starting at 3. Basically it’s hair. I took her in and she picked out a super short haircut several times. She’s 16 now and let’s it grow then cuts it. Not all kiddos like long hair. PS. I agree don’t shave her against her will

3 Likes

If she keeps cutting it shes gonna get made fun of. Kids jus need to learn to stop worrying about wat others think. If she wants to cut her own hair an wont stop let her do it. Jus punish her everytime she does it. She will either stop cutting her hair. Or not care wat bullies have to say. Everyone is so afraid of their kids getting bullied. I was bullied by my own family and at school, I grew up not giving a shit wat ppl thought. Ppl don’t like me, cool. The friends I do have, I’m very happy to have. If she wanted to wear all black an get tattoos u couldn’t stop her. (Ik she’s only 8) jus saying if kids

Shaving her head is unreasonable & abusive … Get her done headbands, clips & accessories, take to get a short cut & in the meantime hide all scissors !!

1 Like

Let her pick how she wants it cut at a beauty salon

It’s her hair… I would prefer my kid to choose how to wear their hair… don’t shave her hair off . That is abuse…it’s nasty and really not needed just because she isn’t wearing her hair how U want it… It is obvious that she is trying to communicate with you… help her … if it bothers you so much take her shopping to pick out some clips or headbands…

1 Like

I’m not too sure that I would worry about it. If she’s content with the haircut she gave herself, let it be. If and when she decides that she wants it to look “better”, then take her to get what she wants. It is, after all, on her head and she’s hurting no one.

2 Likes

Let her do whatever she wants. She’s almost 8 lol

Comb her hair daily (pony tails or braids) and she won’t have that problem :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Maybe she has sensory issues. One of my granddaughters is like that. We have to keep her hair short to her shoulders and thinned out and no bangs.

3 Likes

Should ask them if they would like a nice cropped short hair style that won’t get into their eyes. If that’s not the case then help them learn/incorporate hair bands/Bobbi pins ect to help with the problem. The fact that you want to just shave their head is disgusting. They are very clearly upset with how their hair is and this attitude isn’t going to stop the problem. 

6 Likes

I would try hair styles that help keep her hair up/out of her face. Or maybe a hair cut that helps out? As her mom, you have final say but its also important to take into consideration how she feels or what she would like. I know as a mom I always want my kiddos to look decent, but my vision of that differs from theirs and as long as they are comfortable with their style, and its age appropriate, sometimes its okay to let them choose their vision.

3 Likes

Why are you looking to blame the child when you keep leaving the scissor around? Also, I suggest unless you want to get arrested and have cps up your :peach: for a long time, you do not shave her. Leave your child alone, teach her how to fix her hair, use gentle products on her to keep her hair in place or get the wide headbands for her, that way her hair won’t be in her face and it can grown.

2 Likes

Why are you looking to blame the child when you keep leaving the scissor around? Also, I suggest unless you want to get arrested and have cps up your :peach: for a long time, you do not shave her. Leave your child alone, teach her how to fix her hair, use gentle products on her to keep her hair in place or get the wide headbands for her, that way her hair won’t be in her face and it can grown.

1 Like

Take her to the salon & let her pick a style from one of the magazines … Have the stylist teach her how to keep it styled …

Hide all scissors :scissors::scissors::scissors: she could be grounded from those but please don’t shave her head

Maybe discuss selecting a more managble style for herself that is framed out of her face and take her out for a salon day!

Have her pick out a hair style. She’s old enough to decide.

I’d say they grow out of it but my 15 year old still does it. LOL Let her pick a haircut to get. My daughter kept bugging me for bangs then gave herself some at 5. LOL It grows back! It’s the lying I would be more worried about. Make sure she knows you are her #1 and she can talk to you about any and everything! You might get upset with her but you will always love her but lying is never okay.

1 Like

Take her to a salon and get it done… and someone else can tell her the more she cuts it, the shorter it stays and keeps getting in her face. And hide the scissors! :laughing:

Please get her some help!!

I’d say they grow out of it but my 15 year old still does it. LOL Let her pick a haircut to get. My daughter kept bugging me for bangs then gave herself some at 5. LOL It grows back! It’s the lying I would be more worried about. Make sure she knows you are her #1 and she can talk to you about any and everything! You might get upset with her but you will always love her but lying is never okay.

Take her to a salon of your choosing and have her pick out a reasonable style or take her to Walmart & let her pick out headbands/scrunchies whatever she likes that will keep her hair out of her face :blush: my daughter is 5, but she was doing the same thing a little over a year ago, right before her 5th birthday party, two days in a row! I even hid every single pair of scissors in the house and she still ended up finding a pair while I was cleaning the house :woman_facepalming:t5::joy: try to keep all cutting tools put up hahaha