My daughters daycare wants her back in pull-ups: Thoughts?

Do not put her back in pull ups. I promise you it would be a mistake. Most specially since you are getting ready to have baby number 2. You do not want two in diapers/pull ups

As a Pre-K teacher its odd to me that they asked you to put her back in pull-ups. I would talk to her school more about what is going on but I agree with you. I do not recommend putting her back in pull-ups. They may just need to start asking her or sending her more often.

2 Likes

If she’s only having accidents at daycare it sounds like they are just being lazy and not making sure the kids need to go potty

7 Likes

I had the same issue with my daughter at about the same age. Only happened at school. I had a talk with her about just going to the bathroom and making sure she told her teacher she pooped BEFORE she got off the potty. I chatted with the teachers and shared the vocab i was using with her. Took a few weeks but she figured it out. I also bribed her with special treats after a no accident day, that turned into just friday if no accidents all week. Now she celebrates every day with no treats needed lol

1 Like

I would send her with extra undies and pants and tell them that putting her essentially back in diapers is not an option. Talk to her about using the toilet at daycare, no accidents and mom will award you with a slurpee or something. No way I would be following their recommendation.

1 Like

Sounds like the daycare are the lazy ones… daycare isnt kindergarten. They’re allowed to have those accidents!! Daycare is way out of line asking you to backtrack.

1 Like

Just bring her more clothes… And they need to take her more often… But kids will do one thing at home and not at daycare… most accidents happen Durning nap time even if they go before napping… I say this because I’m a 2 yr old teacher… I take my kids alot and sometime they have accident…

This is definitely an issue for military kids. Whenever a parent is deployed their body is trying to deal with adjusting and sometimes they revert on potty training or how they act. I speak from personal experience my 4 yr old has been potty trained for 2 yrs but with my husband being deployed he has had issues. So has my 2 yr old who is potty trained. Whenever they sense a change or they start getting anxiety over missing that parent things like this can happen. It will pass, don’t put her in pull ups it’ll make her feel like she’s little again and that won’t help the situation.
But definitely with a baby on the way and daddy being gone this is how she’s dealing with the change.
Much love sent your way.

Maybe shes uncomfortable and doesnt go when she feels like she needs to. Just a thought.

When I started primary I was terrified of the bathroom at school. I would try to hold my pee all day and end up peeing myself in the bus or in my chair at school. And I was 5 and very potty trained.I remember the whole class clapping when I went.

Sounds more like an issue w the daycare the. Your
Child

2 Likes

My son just turned three and we are still trying to potty train. If I put him in diapers or pull ups he won’t even try to go. He has to be in his underwear so I don’t think going back would be good. They should just ask her More frequently since she’s not comfortable just going there on her own.

They may not be taking her enough. My daughters teachers actually worked with while she’s was at school and took her every two hours to make sure she didn’t have accidents and she’s 3 1/2 now and has been potty trained she was a little over 2. She even tries to help her 1 year old sister lol

1 Like

My daughter had this issue and come to find out her daycare was understaffed and when she would ask to go potty at non assigned times she would be told to wait because a teacher wasn’t available to take her or supervise the class and her at the same time. This went on for several weeks and I didnt know the cause, I started getting frustrated with my daughter and finally one day she started crying and said she had been trying to hold it but sometimes the teachers forgot all together that she needed to go or it was a really long wait and things just came out. She was hugely embarrassed and tried to hide it and when I found the cause I confronted the school. The director watched playback videos of the teachers telling kids no or some even got loud with them for asking during unassigned breaks. I pulled my daughter, changed her location, THOROUGHLY explained to both her AND the director AND the staff that when my child needs to use the bathroom she can and will do so - and we never had another issue. My child was 3 and had been fully potty trained for over a year when this happened. …

My son also was almost 3 starting having trouble only on Sunday night’s and at daycare. It was an issue with daycare. Check into it mom

Seems to me it is time to find another daycare.

2 Likes

are you sure it’s the kid and not the daycare neglecting to take her enough?

1 Like

Maybe it’s daycare neglect??? Or something is going on at daycare since it only happens there? I would check into that also

Don’t go back to pull ups. That is pure laziness of the teachers. I been working with kids for over 16 years and what she is doing is completely normal. Between changes of the arrival of the new baby and her dad being away it’s just a small step back. If she is having accidents at daycare , they should know that if she is having issues then they should send her potty more frequently. Going back to pull ups will make things 100 percent worse.

2 Likes

I think the daycare is just being lazy. I would not put her back in pullups. Buy a potty watch and set it for maybe every 2 hours so she is reminded to go. If they don’t allow that find a new daycare

5 Likes

Well they should be frequently asking the child or taking the child to the bathroom. That is also the job help with potty training. You may just need to find a new daycare.

5 Likes

I agree with Tina maybe she is not comfortable using it there my son never would and still use it anywhere public and he is almost 20 or maybe she needs a little help and is embarrased to ask or dont want them helping her at home and with you she is ok probly because she is comfy with you helping I would not put her in pull ups no way you would be going backwards

1 Like

DO NOT make her use pull ups again. I worked in a 2 year old room, and yes closer to a sibling being born we do see regression. Do you plan on having her help with the new baby anyway? We have had parents allow help and others not, and honestly those who encouraged the older sibling to get involved had a greater turn around with the older child.

2 Likes

I agree with dropping in at the day care. Also, it may be her regressing due to the upcoming birth of the baby and in that case, those things are completely normal. However, I would definitely NOT put pullups back on her.

3 Likes

No. Let them do their job. She should be asked to go potty if they know she has accidents.

3 Likes

Once you take the diaper or pull up away don’t go back to it. Is the daycare listening to her when she says she has to go?? Are they offering her enough potty brakes during the day?

5 Likes

Seems like she doesn’t want to miss a thing! My daughter went through the same thing. She’ll snap out of it. Just talk to her & send her with extra underwear just incase.

1 Like

What is the day care doing that she’s not getting into the toilet to use it? 3 yo is too old for pull ups. They’re just a glorified diaper. She’s a big sister n proud n capable. Future Wonder Woman!!

4 Likes

Daycare is clearly not doing their job!! I wouldn’t even t take her back

4 Likes

She may unsure how she feels and scare so it may help to be in pull up at daycare onley

I work in a daycare with 3 year olds, I would never ask a parent to put a a child in pull-ups who have been in underwear. Accidents happen

2 Likes

The daycare I work at leaves that decision up to the parents, they can make a schedule for her to go every hr or so

At the age of three they should never ask you to regress her progress and development and put her back into a pull up. They should be checking more frequently if she’d like to use the restroom I agree with the comment above I would definitely do a pop up and see how they are interacting with your child’s needs.

5 Likes

She may not be comfortable pooping there. Mine wouldn’t poop at school. She is 14 and still won’t

3 Likes

We had the same experience with my grand daughter instead was wetting herself spoke with her dr and was told they tend to get playing and don’t realize they had to go until it had happened it was to late

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much on jealouslyif it only happens at the day care center. Something might be happening there they not telling you.

4 Likes

Drop in at daycare at different times, unannounced…see whats going on…might be time for a new daycare

5 Likes

They are asking for pullups for the health and safety of the other kids, having a child in underwear pooping wherever and not saying anything and another child comes along and gets poop on them and spreads it so another child touches it…hand, foot and mouth disease and bowel illnesses are horrible in a preschool, I work in a preschool and it will go around 2 or three times sometimes, and we sanitize and are constantly washing hands, but at that age they still lick everything and put stuff in their mouths. So please, as a preschool teacher, just give them the pull ups. Y’all would be furious if you’re child brought one of those illnesses home because a parent has too much pride to give them some pull ups. Kids always have a harder time being completely potty trained at school.

3 Likes

I’ve always been told not to regress. If you are in underwear currently stuck to it. You’re the parent it’s your decision.

3 Likes

My opinion… something negative is happening at daycare that is making her have accidents. Find a new daycare & your problem might just fix itself.

168 Likes

My babies are in their 40s but I can tell you this. My completely potty trained 2 1/2 year old pooped her pants the very day I left to have baby #4 ! We put her back in diapers (no pull-ups back then) just for everyone’s sanity. She was back to the potty in a short amount of time on her own. I’d say don’t push it. Use the pull-ups!

7 Likes

I worked in childcare for years… potty trained tons of children. If you put her back in pull ups she will regress big time. Something may be going on and I would look into that. Sometimes even a uti or infection will cause the accidents. I would definitely look to get those ruled out by pediatrician and then alsonfind out of any changes in the school.

6 Likes

The only time my daughter has accidents at daycare is when the worker tells her not to get up. She feels like she’s going to get in trouble. Iv has multiple talks with the daycare worker about this and have informed my daughter that no matter what, even if she’s going to get in trouble, that she’s to get up and go to the bathroom.

16 Likes

I would say a few things maybe going on. 1) yes maybe new situation and people, missing dad, and new baby. 2) make sure there is nothing unusual going on at the daycare. If she is content at home and not there it’s a thought (bulling, bad toughing, ???)

11 Likes

She may be intimidated by others around, she may be scared of the toilet and the loud flush. They need to be understanding and if theres no medical reason and you dont want to put her back in diapers or Pull ups, talk to them.

4 Likes

I worked in child care, both as a nanny and as a daycare owner. I would not go backwards. She is probably regressing a bit but the answer is not to treat her like a baby. Praise for making it to the toilet, and make her (with help obviously) clean up after herself when she has an accident. And if at all possible don’t lay her down to “change her” out of the dirty clothes. Everything should be done in the bathroom and with her help. Re enforce that she is a big girl.

2 Likes

I tan daycare for twenty year never once did I ask a parent to go backwards. If you dont have the time to tend to each childs needs than you have too many children hire more help her let some children go.

21 Likes

Pull ups will not help, but daycares have their rules. Having a new baby or a drastic change can definitely cause regression in areas. Try to see if the daycare would be willing to work with you by reminding her often to go to the bathroom. And talk with her and see if there is any problem at daycare or anything she’s upset about.

10 Likes

Putting her back in pullups now could be embarrassing for her. It could make her give up all together. Find out if daycare does a potty schedule or if she is allowed to potty anytime she needs to. If she is fine everywhere else than she does not need pullups. She should not be held back for their convenience. They should be willing to have her potty more often. If they refuse to help, you need a different daycare.

8 Likes

Might want to check and see if they’re trying to do a “potty schedule” where they only go at certain times. I had problems with a headstart doing that with my oldest daughter. It got to the point where they were causing my oldest to be having melt downs and accidents. More than likely it’s them if she’s fine everywhere else. And if it is you need to address the issue.

9 Likes

My gut feeling however, is that she is upset with someone @ daycare. Likely what other people commented - that she is trying to get to the bathroom and they arent working with her. If she was mad @ you, she would be messing up @ home.

4 Likes

I’ve worked in a daycare and from the employees perspective I don’t want to be cleaning poop and pee off the floors and beds so many times a day just because a kid wants to be babied. I mean usually we do try to remind the child to use the restroom because a good daycare will do that but if it’s your child just doing that on their own then it’s best if you do use pull ups. Still they should encourage your child to use the bathroom

6 Likes

I work in childcare, I have for over 20 years. I have not asked parents to go backwards, to put their child in pull ups. Maybe they need to set up a potty plan. We would set a 20 minute timer, and the child would get used to that timer, and say, “time for me to potty” even if they just sat for a few seconds and didn’t actually go. Idk, it should always be a parents choice. Unless there is rules or policies with this center, you should decide.

5 Likes

People in childcare services don’t have the time to keep up with training, to monitor, and keep her on track. Pull-ups should be easier for your child and for them while she’s under their care. That is just my opinion.

8 Likes

My oldest did this when baby #2 was on the way…then she went back into pull ups when baby #2 came because she wanted to be the baby again. But I feel like you are the mother so you have the say so, but I have always worked in child care for many years and they will keep complaining till you put her in pull ups because with all those kids they wont want to deal with it. They should be reminding her every hr which is their job, but doesnt mean they will do it. It’s really up to you. My oldest didnt become fully potty trained till my #2 baby was potty trained because they did it together since they are close in age. Also, child care for children can be stressful environment.

2 Likes

Don’t do it ! My 2 year old will be 3 in a few weeks I had him potty trained last fall then I got him in Daycare they said he had to wear pull ups he went backwards and I just got him potty trained again and he doing doing awesome the one positive thing during this pandemic

Ask them to take data for a few weeks. Is she pooping at rest time because she perceives that she is not allowed to get up or right before rest time in order to delay it etc…
Data will also help them to know when to send her to the toilet to “try”.

1 Like

Have you asked her why she is having accidents at day care? Could be as simple as seeing a spider or bug in the bathbathroom and being scared to go back in?

4 Likes

Maybe daycare isnt as receptive to her telling thm she had to go ! They need a better plan than expecting you to back her up !

2 Likes

Dont do pull ups. Do cloth diapers. Still like underwear and easier for the daycare to clean her If she has an accident. But if it’s just poop and only at daycare you need to figure out why it’s happening. They may not be allowing her too potty when she says she has too go.

8 Likes

I’d be checking to see whether she’s struggling with a staff member that maybe she’s fearful of asking to go to the bathroom. Is she allowed to just go to the bathroom herself or must she wait for staff. Children get busy playing and get caught short. Like most care facilities there is often a toilet time and be it adult or child its not always the right time. Just a thought…

3 Likes

Something bothers her at day care. Check it out.
Ask your daughter why she has accidents at day care.

3 Likes

I’m sure it is happening at daycare because she’s distracted by all the ongoings of other children. While at home it’s different and maybe less distracting. As a rule generally daycares do not follow certain times for the potty . When children have to go they certainly are not denied . A pull up is easier for all involved if there is an accident . Rather then her feeling shame .

1 Like

When my girls were young the same thing happened…come to find out the daycare had specific potty times which unfortunately did correspond with when my girl had to poo…so they wouldnt let her go. Talk to daycare. Then make a decision. Pull ups arent a bad thing…just might not be necessary.

1 Like

Have a talk with her if this is only happening at daycare.
Odd that she doesn’t have accidents at home.

2 Likes

Get a new day care…something is wrong in her current daycare if that is the only place she does that.

3 Likes

She is pretty young and you listed a couple of things that may be stress for her. Daddy deployed and new baby coming soon. Give her a break and put on the pull-ups at daycare. She’ll get through it. You’re a young mom and this is NOT a reflection on your parenting. It may seem like a big deal but in the grand scheme of things it’s so minor.

2 Likes

You have a lazy daycare. Find a new daycare one that will let her potty when she needs.

3 Likes

If a child is put into a new situation they will respond by going backwards on the potty training train.

She’s dealing with a big change.

2 Likes

Amanda Buencamino Maniquis I disagree ive been doing childcare since I was 16 I am now 59. We have always fully potty trained the kids & have never had that happen. It possibly could be a daycare thats to full to have the time to pay attention & thats so sad for the kids. I would think about finding another daycare.

2 Likes

It could be the daycare. Check them out what kind of potty routine they have. Or find another place that will work with your little girl and you.

1 Like

Try rewarding her if she goes to the potty at daycare like do a system where each time she goes potty there she gets a button when she gets so many buttons or whatever you choose then she gets a toy or favorite candy or just a special day keep a chart and eventually she will probably just go without thinking about it

1 Like

My son was nearly 3 1/2 and was reluctant to potty train because of adopting a second newborn baby. That summer he wanted to go in the big kids swimming pool and I told him he couldn’t because he was wearing diapers. That night he was out of diapers and was trained! Proper motivation I think!

1 Like

My son was six and in kindergarten when I had my daughter. He started to poop his pants at school and at home after being potty trained for three years. I went through the stages of different feelings and tried many different things, and nothing worked. I think it was about 6 months that went by and one day he just stopped pooping his pants. It was so frustrating with a newborn and being a single mom, but we got through it just fine. Good luck!

You need to talk to her make sure she knows safe touch bad touch because sometimes they regress if continuously in a situation that makes them nervous

1 Like

Take your child to see your pediatrician and ask her to perform an evaluation and get a recommendation for a child psychologist to get to the root if this issue. Please don’t trust your child’s well being to strangers…This is a huge red flag that something very traumatic is going on with your little one. Praying for your family.

Listen there are a number of reasons kids do this. Most recently my 3 year old went through the same thing only opposite she was doing good at school but not so much at home. She would just stand there and pee…doctor thinks she has a sensory problem. My older one has autism and did the same thing till he was 4. He would go at school not when he got home. Now my oldest again same and then just decided at 3 he was potty trained and never had another accident. I would say if the daycare is telling you to put her in pullups do it. My daughter only peed herself at school when she was in underwear because she likes the way it feels running down her leg. They put her back in pullups and she started going on the potty again. Of course now we are home all the time she’s regressed but now she thinks it’s funny to pee in her pull-up and hit herself which is another sensory issue.

Absolutely not! A good day are will work with you and help you figure why she is regressing. If they say they don’t have the time or don’t want to clean it up, then it’s a place I would not want my child.

It sounds to me like they don’t want to be bothered Most day cares will work with you Ian 77 When I was younger I use to keep Children in my home Parents would bring me undies and I worked with them I raised 2 children of my own and I raised 2 Grand Children My Grand Daughter was trained in one week I worked too and I had A real good sitter that kept her and her brother

I work in a daycare and do not give in. They need to help her through all these transitions. Not put her back many steps. All kids go through different stages. It is normal.

Yes my granddaughter when through this but it was beco use she was to busy playing with the other kids she didn’t want to miss anything so she would hold it till it was to late and of course she would have an accident

She may not get privacy at daycare as she does at home. I would be very reluctant to regress. After, she is becoming a big sister. Don’t shame her. Try to have conversation about it with her privately with her day care teacher.

Something is going on at daycare! If it was Dad or new baby she would do it at home! Ask to see classroom tapes! Something is going on!

That’s a lot of stuff going in on her little life. Regressing is normal!!! Comply and give them pull-ups but make a plan WITH THEM to get her out within a couple of days.

Buy her a potty watch that beeps every hour for her to run and use the toilet. And REWARD her for no accidents.

Daycare cannot allow numerous accidents. One or two, okay. But once it becomes consistent we have to keep thing sanitary.

Or it could be something bad at day care too. Hate to go there buuuuut… you need to drop in unannounced and check.

I had my own day care for 8 yrs I had a mom ask me what my rules were for potty time was … Before snacks meals nap going out side or on an outing and when ever they said had to go I asked her y she said where she took her child they were aloud to go only certain times and her child started messing cause didn’t have to go at that time

Possibly happening st day care because she misses her mommy. Talk to the people at daycare and your child and see what the problem is.

Could just be having so much fun playing doesnt want to stop to go potty…had that issue with my oldest in preschool. So the teacher reminded him to go

I have three kids they all did things at different times.How many times do you see an adult with a pacifer , bottle or pulk up.Don’t listen to the parent that say my child waled or taked at this time .Its your child and only young for a little bit.you don’t want to cause trauma by saying your big girl all of the other kids have them embrace her and love her.dont listen to other bragfung parents they are bullies.my ex took away at 2 vottles blankets and was leaving me.Its not a competion just love her and. Let her be.she us shoeing how she feels .my mom died of cancer.I slept with my babies 2 and newbirn in bassinet in my .room .15 yr old to.sorry i got so upset .my ex took my 2 and 5 yr oid .gow I wish to hold them.take care

I was a daycare provider for 9 years and I would see this all the time could be regression usually occurs at age 3-4. It could be to get attention. Talk with your child’s teacher if you don’t want pull ups or any other changes. Also feces is highly unsanitary. Not sure during the pandemic but they should work with you if not switch daycares. It could be they’re just doing a bad job and are looking to cut corners.

You have successfully potty - trained your child. She knows what to do and when consistantly. Time to talk to her about whats happening, why it is not ok & what the expectation is. The 2 of you will figure out the next step.

That happened to my 3rd child he was fine when I had 4 and 5 but when 6th came I went through this because it was my only girl he went through it only for a weekend because when I said u can’t go to kindergarten in pullups he was like ok fixed it self

I went through the same thing but I feel the daycare needs to ask her or take them regularly. If you put her back in pull-ups you will have to start over at home.

I say the day care is being lazy. I work in preschool and encourage all the parents to put their children in undies and we will assist with
Using the restroom. No pull ups for me.

It might be regression, she may not be able to go when she needs, but if the daycare is requiring it you will have to do it if you want her to stay there

Maybe start a reward system with stickers, see if the daycare can do something similar. She might just need some positive reinforcement.

Maybe you need to see what may be going on at daycare. She may be scared about something

Day care teachers just had a little trining not like a real teacher. They have their favorites and very often this happens.

I would not encourage regression back to pull ups…send extra vlothes and zip lock bags for the soiled clothes…most likely its and overwhelmed caregiver who doesnt have time to vlean up the mess…

Our daycare is a Christian one at our church. We take the time to train them. We even have a bathroom in the 2 & 3 year old rooms. They do have to raise there hands, and ask permission. Sometime accidents especially during nap time. Hope that helps.

With my son it was that he didn’t want to poop at school and he tried to hold it. My friends son didn’t want to stop playing and only does it while he’s busy with friends