My daughters thrush will not go away: Advice?

So my daughter has had oral thrush for about two weeks, and instead of getting better, it seems to get worse. First got fluconazole, and it didn’t help at all; on Sunday, I got Nystatin, but a day before, my baby girl got a fever and started throwing up everything she eats. Now the vomiting stopped, but I checked her mouth thrush, and honestly, it’s way worse than ever. I don’t know know what to do; she’s been crying nonstop and with a fever. She can’t even sleep and hasn’t been eating except maybe once a day if I’m lucky. I’ve been boiling all her sippy cups and cut her mill out because of the fever. What can I do? I’m so desperate, I don’t know how I can help her anymore, and it hurts so much to see her cry in so much pain. Can it be dangerous?

9 Likes

How long was the baby taken it? Mine was on it for over a week. Take the baby to the children’s hospital. Imagine a really bad yeast infection on your mouth. That baby is in pain, might want to give the baby tylenol to.

2 Likes

go to children hospital asap

9 Likes

First and foremost I’m sure this is terrifying to deal with but I would tell you to just go to your local Children’s Hospital.
Sending prayers for you and your baby …

1 Like

I would say she needs to be seen by a doctor. When my son got thrush he had to be on meds for a week straight and we had to completely clean his bottles and binkies each use. The not eating at all think is pretty scary though, I would be taking her to be seen ASAP. We had nystatin and it had to be used for a whole week.

How old is the baby? Natural remedy is mix 1/2 tsp of baking soda in warm water use cotton swabs to gently clean the child’s mouth. Patience mama…

Gentian violet is the best for thrush. You should be able to find it at Walmart or any pharmacy. It will stain the mouth purple, but it works great!

6 Likes

Mix 1/2 benadryl and 1/2 mylanta. I know it sounds weird but it works

Are you breastfeeding? If so you need to be treated too! Throw out all the binkies, chewing toys, cups and start fresh! We’ve battled it a lot and it sucks! I think she needs to be seen as she’s not eating!

2 Likes

Gentian Violet, used it with my son! Stained my nipple purple since I was nursing, :rofl::rofl: but it worked!

2 Likes

Get some good refrigerated probiotics. Gentian violet is a great one. Add vinegar to your wash and sterilize all of the bottles and anything else that’s been in contact with her mouth. Treat yourself too if you’re breastfeeding. I found out after two months that my daughter and I were passing it back and forth, which was why she kept getting it.

Maybe it is not thrush…

I know I will probably here it from some on you but my son had it really bad too when he was a baby I went back in to the pharmacy and my regular pharmacist was back he noticed my son was already on it once and it still wasnt cleared up he goes just hold off for a couple days he goes try this when my baby girl had it nothing was touching her thrush either my mom told me me and wow in a day and hafe it was gone . Here is when I’m gonna hear it from people but it works just dip the baby’s suckie in red wine and let him suck on it you only dip it into the wine only once a couple times a day the alcohol kills the bacteria in the baby’s mouth but it works

2 Likes

Get your baby seen by a medical doc asap

5 Likes

The Genition violet worked when nothing else would !!

2 Likes

Get baby yogurt. Just coat the tongue several times a day

Take her to the hospital ASAP!!

4 Likes

Do you wipe her mouth out? Have you sanitized all of her toys blankets binkies sippies everything and anything that she could possibly put in her mouth you also need to be wiping her hands down a couple times a day

Lemon juice cures thrush. It was the only thing that worked for my daughter after multiple failed attempts to treat.

I had this same thing, we kept passing it back and forth and the doctors meds never worked. I finally had to give him probiotics daily, and I had to wipe apple cider vinegar on my breasts every time he ate, plus if I leaked or anything. Only way it went away finally after a couple weeks. Good luck!

3 Likes

When my Daughter was on Nystatin for thrush (she had a bad case of it), Her doctor wanted me to also put some on a baby cloth and wipe the insides of her cheeks, to really get the meds in there, with every dose.
That helped.
Make sure your sterilizing her bottles/cups after everytime she used them. Make sure they fully dry. Sterilize her binkies too. Toys she puts in her mouth. Thrush is very contagious, she could easily regive it to herself.

My daughter had it for over a month when she was a newborn and nothing was helping it at all. I actually started oatmeal bottles (pediatrician told me too so don’t come at me) and it actually cleared it up within a few days. Yeah I know it’s odd but it worked and that’s not why they told me to do oatmeal bottles it was for another reason. But I was boiling everything and washing everything that couldn’t be boiled and tried both thrush medicines and nothing was working.

I know adults use salt water to help idk how old she is but maybe mix up some salt water put it in a syringe and hold her over and wash it out again may depend on age how well you be able to do this but it does help and even if she swallows some it would t hurt her

Gentian violet put on a tip rub all over tongue make sure it get a good coat and take to Dr has yeast infection in mouth

1 Like

Our children’s hospital gave us gentian violet ($3 in wound care section at Walmart) when no prescription was working.you coat the mouth 4x a day warning it stains everything (even hair)but works usually in a couple of days. Do it one day extra once it’s cleared.

1 Like

I second the refrigerated acidophilus. Get the capsules, open them and pour into bottles with formula /milk/water or mix in food. Also garlic caps (I recommend Kyolic). Empty the caps in something she’ll ingest. Plain yoghurt may be soothing, but Pasteurization kills most of the active cultures. Do this in addition to what the doctors tell you.
The acidophilus attacks yeast and restores beneficial gut bacteria; the garlic strengthens the immune system.

Good luck!

You can keep this up for life. I still take acidophilus and garlic pills. Can’t remember when I last had a yeast infection.
If she is eating foods, cut out carbs, sweets and fermented foods (anything pickled or with vinegar.

She needs to go to the dr. Asap

1 Like

If the child is not eating and is in that much pain call the pediatrician and get your child checked out.

1 Like

Gentian violet, stains but works!!! My daughter tried all of those and gentian violet was the only thing that worked

4 Likes

Please take her to the dr so she can get the right meds

1 Like

Are you nursing her ? If so , you must clean your breasts / nipples every time before she nurses I had this issue with my first born in 1988 . It was awful ! The reason she cried all the time is it is extremely painful … especially when she nurses . We went through many bottles of nystatin and everything else . Finally , an older dr told me to go to a health food store and buy gentian violet ( spelling ? ) . We painted the inside of the baby’s mouth as suggested . Be Careful because it will stain clothes . He went around with a purple mouth for a few days but it sure got rid of the thrush / yeast . I also get yeast in my mouth / esophagus as an adult . All the layers Of my tongue come off . It is soooo painful . They treat mine with many doses of diflucan . Hang in there . I totally know where you are coming from !

2 Likes

Coconut oil got rid of my sons within a matter of hours.

Go to the doctor or fake her into a chemist see what they say

I’d contact your drs if she is not drinking .

Also try natural yogurt a spoon full couple times a day , but I would :100: contact dr if has fever to as that’s sign of infec also can dehydrate so quickly little ones

1 Like

Fluconazole syrup called omastin
Should clear it right away

Id get her to a doctor to find the best solution

1 Like

Go get Gentian Violet!!! I LOVE this stuff, it works wonders! I have used this for years on all my kids! Apply with a Qtip and put on a bib or a shirt you don’t mind getting stained bc this stuff does not come out! I promise within 1 or 2 days it will be gone or a noticeable change! Boil all nipples and everything she puts in their mouth. Good luck

6 Likes

As horrible and all as it sounds their own urine takes oral thrush away and cures it completely.

Swish mouth with vinegar

What does her doctor say?

Getting violent will clear it

1 Like

Gentian violet for the win. You will be purple and you’ll get through this!!

2 Likes

Vegetable glycerine works great!

Gentian violet always worked for my daughter.

1 Like